• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deadline: Ghost in the Shell will Lose $60M+

Status
Not open for further replies.

kswiston

At the risk of beating a dead horse, I thought that this article would be interesting to some here:

http://deadline.com/2017/04/ghost-i...hansson-box-office-flop-whitewash-1202061479/

After vanishing in its opening weekend at the domestic box office to $18.6 million, film finance sources tell Deadline that Paramount/DreamWorks-Reliance's Ghost In The Shell stands to lose at least $60M, and that's based off a global B.O. projection of $200M ($50M domestic, $150M international) and combined P&A/production costs of $250M. Some sources even assert that the production cost for Ghost is far north of $110M and more in the $180M range — if that's the case, Ghost is bleeding in excess of $100M.

Through yesterday, the film has only collected $62M at the worldwide B.O.

Basically, GitS was a big investment, and the film is now looking at a similar gross to Assassins Creed.

Paramount has been having a rough few years, and this doesn't help

The bombing of Ghost In The Shell arrives at an awful time for Paramount in the wake of its $1 billion slate financing deal with Shanghai Film Group and Huahua Media going south, coupled with the fact that most of the studio's 2016 slate outside of Arrival and Fences has tanked. Ghost was originally part of the Shanghai/Huahua deal, with both companies supposedly vested in director Rupert Sanders' movie alongside DreamWorks and Paramount; each studio maintained 30% exposure. While DreamWorks reportedly stands to lose as much as $20M, Paramount could incur a bigger black eye sans the Chinese funds. Paramount provided no comment.

They also point out what they felt went wrong with the film. You can visit the article for more details on each point

So what went wrong here? Above and beyond our analysis last weekend, we dug further:

1) Exorbitant Cost In Relation To Niche IP: In regard to Ghost‘s $100M-plus production cost, one slate financier shouts, ”This is the amount of money you spend on a sequel, not an obscure piece of IP that only a few fanboys know about! Maybe you spend $35M or $40M on this and make a stylized art house film."

Another factor driving up Ghost‘s budget: Waiting for Johansson. Though she commited to play lead cyborg Major in January 2015, the Ghost production had to wait until November 2015 to start. Johansson almost dropped out (her reported payday is $10M-$12M) due to scheduling conflicts, but the studios were willing to wait. Whenever a film is delayed, costs incur.

2) Corporate Collateral Damage: Sources tell Deadline that Ghost lacked a hands-on executive like ex-co-chairman Rob Moore to see its fate through, and that the suits on the Melrose Lot were too preoccupied by the recent executive changeovers ”and scared to make a move on anything,"

3) Flawed Marketing: DreamWorks disagreed with the campaign that Paramount was executing, but at the end of the day it was the latter who was responsible for P&A oversight...

...In the face of the whitewash controversy over Johansson's casting, it's been argued that Paramount wasn't doing enough to quell it, despite a global trailer drop in Tokyo back in November. One social meme that Paramount plowed ahead with to DreamWorks' dismay was the #IAmMajor, where moviegoers could share a graphic about what makes them unique. The meme blew up in the studios' face with social media users using it as a form of protest (see below)...

...They attempted to sell a heroic story in that Major's life was stolen from her and she's battling against the powers that be before they harm others. ”Not exactly the elevator pitch that Lucy had," says one studio marketing guru, who points to that film's ”What happens when you use the other 90% of your brain."

4) China & Japan Aren't Bail-Outs: While there are reports audiences aren't offended by Johansson's reverse casting because they're used to watching western actors, foreign B.O. pundits put a total projection of $45M in China. Japan is a wild-card. Fate Of The Furious rolls out April 12, and that's when Ghost‘s legs will truly be sawed off.

5) Reverse Casting Controversy: While Ghost has been bombarded by protests since the first day of Johansson's attachment, many distribution executives still believe the whitewash controversy never impacted moviegoers' ticket-buying decisions...

...Ironically, Screen Engine/ComScore's PostTrak audience polls show that Asian Americans bought tickets to watch Ghost and even enjoyed the film. They repped 13% of Ghost‘s audience, on par with the demo's turnout for Arrival (14%, $24M), Passengers (12%, $14.9M opening) and xXx: The Return Of Xander Cage (14%, $20.1M FSS), the latter which featured several Asian stars including Donnie Yen and Wu Yifan. Zero percent gave Ghost a poor rating. Of the Asian Americans who watched Ghost, 93% gave it a good, very good or excellent rating, which isn't that far from Caucasians, Hispanics (both 97%) and African Americans (94%).

6) Challenges With Anime & Manga Adaptations: As Warner Bros. looks to bring a live action version of the 1988 anime toon Akira to the big screen, is it worth the headache? Perhaps these complex futuristic properties which require big budgets aren't worth the cost? Paramount reports that Ghost was a tough sell, minting more tickets in cities versus flyover states and with a $100M-plus film, you need every theater to overindex...

...An alternative could have been building Ghost with an Asian actress suitable to the original IP, and even if she was a fresh face, Paramount and DreamWorks could have built a bigger supporting cast with stars around her. Multi-cultural, fresh face ensemble casts have proven to click at the B.O., (i.e. Furious 7, Hunger Games, Star Wars: Force Awakens and Rogue One), but these are films where the brands are significantly bigger than the stars, and Ghost certainly wasn't that.

7) Of Course, Poor Reviews: (This is self-explanitory, but you can read the article if you want more info on the reviews and tracking)

There's more at the link, but I tried to highlight a lot of the main points. This film failed for a lot of reasons, and makes for an interesting case study of what not to do with a $110M+ blockbuster.

Good.

Stop being risk averse, make a good movie, and don't be afraid to cast and "unknown" as a lead.

Hopefully the Naruto movie learns this lesson.

Good.

Stop being risk averse, make a good movie, and don't be afraid to cast and "unknown" as a lead.

Hopefully the Naruto movie learns this lesson.

Thats not the lesson they'll take away from this though. If anything it'll be the opposite, that this genetic neonfest was too outside the box and similar risks should be avoided in the future.

marzlapin

Film execs are probably going to take the wrong message away from this and assume that video game and anime movies won't sell in America.

Got

Banned
They need to stop paying actors these ridiculous amounts of money what the fuck are they thinking?

Your argument has no merit. She earns that salary.

Screen_Shot_2017-04-05_at_5.35.25_PM.png

Chumley

Banned
People will monday morning quarterback this thing all year long, but I think all it comes down to is that audiences are too weirded out by incredibly overt cyberpunk dystopias. The fact that it's based on an anime doesn't necessarily matter, it's just that the particular look and style of the film has never done well. They couldn't hide it in the marketing like they did for The Matrix. Blade Runner bombed too and it had Harrison Ford and none of the whitewashing baggage dragging it down.

I'll be surprised if WB, or any other studio, bothers with another big budget anime adaptation.

You can kiss goodbye Akita and Cowboy bebop's films.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
100% Film failed because it was both lazy and uninteresting.

It really was. I hate to see the brand fail so spectacularly, but they didn't even attempt to do anything interesting with this movie. I would've taken a smaller movie with existential mumbo jumbo over a half cooked sci-fi action movie that doesn't even have that much great action. There are 2 or 3 cool scenes. They're all in the trailers. And they're all copied from previous Ghost in the Shell content.

Film execs are probably going to take the wrong message away from this and assume that video game and anime movies won't sell in America.
Of course they will. Film executives are, well.

Bad at their jobs, for the most part.

It's why someone like Feige is such a rarity.

I'm cautiously optimistic about the MGS adaption from the director of Kong, based on the interviews he's given, it sounds like he has a pretty good idea of why most game adaptions fail and what they should be trying to achieve on screen.

It'll probably suck tho

I'll be surprised if WB, or any other studio, bothers with another big budget anime adaptation.

You can kiss goodbye Akita and Cowboy bebop's films.
Nah, of anything they'll just do the smart thing and give them a reasonable budget. Some of these are already in preproduction.

Sucks for the people who might lose jobs over this. I didn't hate the movie but it fell flat for me. The casting didn't help especially with the plot reason behind it.

I never thought the movie would be all that successful since it was announced, however I wouldn't have thought it would flop as hard as it did.

Scarjo may have had a hit with Lucy but I still think a major reason for that was because it looked Limitless times two.

Slayven

She was literally the highest grossing actor, of men and women, through all last year. Scarlett has plenty of leverage to get paid.

Does she actually draw people to the movies or just happens to be in movies people want to see?

There are like 5 people that can actually claim pure star power

Blader

Does she actually draw people to the movies or just happens to be in movies people want to see?

I don't know how much that distinction matters in this case.

In any event, Lucy made a ton of bank and all anyone had to go on with that movie was that it starred Scarlett Johansson.

Mimosa97

Your argument has no merit. She earns that salary.

Screen_Shot_2017-04-05_at_5.35.25_PM.png

Marvel movies shouldn't count tbh. I think any actress could have played black widow just fine and the movies wouldn't have made a cent less. No one goes to watch a marvel movie because there's Scarlett Johansson in it.

Consumers didn’t recognize Johansson as a brunette. It’s a similar pickle Paramount ran into when selling Terminator: Genisys ($27M) with potential moviegoers unaware that Emilia Clarke, who they’re use to seeing as a blonde on Game Of Thrones, was a natural brunette.

I know the superficiality of it all shouldn't sting...but it stings...

jrcbandit

Good, now maybe they will cancel all the upcoming live action anime disasters in the making. Get rid of the upcoming video game movies, too, please.

Slayven

I don't know how much that distinction matters in this case.

In any event, Lucy made a ton of bank and all anyone had to go on with that movie was that it starred Scarlett Johansson.

This is basically a straight up lie. Lucy was not a brand, and Under the Skin was critically lauded. And that's just her most recent work.

you're arguing she has no earning power? you're incorrect. but an interesting approach.

Then why did GITS only do 20 million in the first week? Surely if she was a hot name you get more than that just from "Oh shit the new Scarjo joint" crowd

Marvel movies shouldn't count tbh. I think any actress could have played black widow just fine and the movies wouldn't have made a cent less. No one goes to watch a marvel movie because there's Scarlett Johansson in it.

I definitely know people who would only go see a movie because she's in it, same people were super psyched for Ghost in the Shell last weekend lol.

you're arguing she has no earning power? you're incorrect. but an interesting approach.

I am. Star power is a dying concept outside of the minds of executives. I've said this ad nauseum. The articles have been written, the numbers have been crunched by others smarter than you or I.

Replace Scarlett in most of those roles with any other actress and it wouldn't matter. Folks are there to watch the Avengers or The Jungle Book, not for Scarlett Johansson. A poor brand and a bad sell equals a bomb, regardless of how big your star is.

Case in point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom