• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paramount Says ‘Ghost In The Shell’ Flopped Because Of Whitewashing Controversy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Slightly off topic here, but I'm looking at Scarlet's other movie, Lucy, and that shit made nearly 500mil worldwide? The fuck. It's no wonder execs thought they were onto something with her.

jmdajr

Slightly off topic here, but I'm looking at Scarlet's other movie, Lucy, and that shit made nearly 500mil worldwide? The fuck. It's no wonder execs thought they were onto something with her.

Gits might still do ok in China and Japan. It will make over 100 million. But 200? Long climb.

Trey

So it flopped because it was trash like everyone expected?

Yeah, sounds like a large reason why a movie wouldn't do well.

Whitewashing is a good excuse to use for the movie failing. I don't think that was the reason GITS failure in the US though.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I'm still sad over losing Cameronlita to Avatar.

DAMN YOU FURRIES

A movie like that, that actually "took risks" with its casting and being more faithful would have probably had great word of mouth and legs if it was done well enough, maybr even more strongly supported for taking those "risks".

(Hopefully studios realize there really is no risk. You risk more playing it safe and pleasing focus groups.)

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
The controversy was the only time I ever even heard about the movie.

Regardless of who they chose for the lead, the movie always looked like a rental or HBO watch.

I genuinely dont think the whitewashing thing bothers too many people out of the USA. If it flopped world wide, then chances are the movie wasnt very good or it wasnt a block buster film and they expected too much out of it.

Kyle Davies said:
“You’ve got a movie that is very important to the fanboys since it’s based on a Japanese anime movie,” Davies added.

PioFtFK.jpg

This quote is so corporate you can taste the starch...

FStubbs

Scarlett is a bankable actor star - when she's not playing an offensive role in a whitewashed movie.

jmdajr

So who was the last Asian star Hollywood really backed?

Jet Li maybe?

Even Jackie Chan had to be a co-star.

I feel like at this point Donnie Yen maybe has the best chance. But I mean obviously he'll just get martial arts roles perpetuating the stereotype.

I feel like at this point Donnie Yen maybe has the best chance. But I mean obviously he'll just get martial arts roles perpetuating the stereotype.

Exactly. The last "big" Asian star who wasnt solely known for their martial arts ability was John Cho, and before him Lucy Lui, then there were no others. It's pathetic

Exactly. The last "big" Asian star who wasnt solely known for their martial arts ability was John Cho, and before him Lucy Lui, then there were no others. It's pathetic

Yeah as far as ones that are at least semi relevant in Hollywood and not just for the stereotypical role it's John Cho and I guess if we're just talking strictly comedy, it's Ken Jeong. But try as I might I can't really think of anything he's done recently except for Star Trek.

I think Priyanka Chopra also has a good chance to break through but a lot of white people here in the US I doubt would even really know she's Asian or consider her as such.

kswiston

Even if white-washing wasn't really the reason for the bad reviews and tepid audience response, the fact that we have someone blaming that is good. This can be used to take them to task on other films in the future if they don't make an effort to move towards more inclusive casting. Especially when it makes logical sense, like having Japanese main cast beyond a single token dude in a film set in Japan.

Zoe

Even if white-washing wasn't really the reason for the bad reviews and tepid audience response, the fact that we have someone blaming that is good. This can be used to take them to task on other films in the future if they don't make an effort to move towards more inclusive casting. Especially when it makes logical sense, like having Japanese main cast beyond a single token dude in a film set in Japan.

They're not blaming the whitewashing though, they're blaming the controversy.

kswiston

They're not blaming the whitewashing though, they're blaming the controversy.

He's just blaming white-washing without accepting fault on the part of Paramount.

"Controversy over casting lead to poor reviews" is the same as saying that the casting lead to poor reviews, which is the same as saying that there's a problem with their casting. At least in the minds of the reviews and audience considering this film.

I am not saying that Paramount will be quick to put an end to white-washing, but each instance like this does give more ammo in the pushback against the practice. It's not like shareholders don't read entertainment news.

akira28

I dunno Paramount...if you're a fanboy parasite, I dunno if you can really get away with denigrating fanboys. Without them you wouldn't be making this terrible crap. So you're like a fanboy for fanboys.

and hey, its ifts just controversy, when things quiet down, maybe this movie's merits will finally get a chance to shin....yeah fuck that.
pay me 90K a year to make up excuses and I'll tell you a couple too.

Slime

Banned
Even without the controversy, I think the biggest reason this bombed was because people are kind of over it. The time for a Ghost in the Shell adaptation was sometime between the shitty Matrix sequels and before Æon Flux and Ultraviolet. The dark cyberpunk techno action movie thing just comes across as a dated turn-of-the-millenium cliche in 2017, even if the source material predates all that.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
It shouldn't have mattered.
Hopefully it doesn't bother Scarlett too much.
She atleast has Samuel Jackson to offer support as he went through the same thing.
Even without the controversy, I think the biggest reason this bombed was because people are kind of over it. The time for a Ghost in the Shell adaptation was sometime between the shitty Matrix sequels and before Æon Flux and Ultraviolet. The dark cyberpunk techno action movie thing just comes across as a dated turn-of-the-millenium cliche in 2017, even if the source material predates all that.
This is true

muteki

So cyberpunk is just an off-limits thing from here on out? What?

Cyberpunk is dated?

Blade Runner 2049 is doomed.

They just need to change it to Blade Runner 2069.

ultracal31

You don't get to bring friends.

This, it's also why I think the Akira movie will most likely fail (outside of many, many issues we won't get into)

One thing I will say about Japan is they know their window for milking a franchise so despite the quality of it the attack on Titan movie came out when it's still relevant

If Hollywood was smarter they should fast track that one while it's still hot but no, gotta focus on Akira for some reason...

dopplr

I think these studios need to get with the times and realize that star power isn't very relevant. Casting big names and assuming it'll be a hit has been shown to not work very well anymore. People don't give a shit that a new Will Smith movie is out, they care if it is good and worth their time. Look at Get Out and how big of a success it was, despite having barely any notable stars.

At the same time, doing an adaptation of something like this with a very narrow fanbase makes it understandable why they wanted what they had hoped would be a bankable star in the lead role.

I'm going to strongly disagree with that. There's nothing stopping a cyberpunk movie from making it big. There was no boat that was missed or anything like that. If Christopher Nolan decided his next movie was in a cyberpunk setting I'd bet money it'd do well. GITS just looked too generic and 99% of what you read when googling it was controversy and bashing. I don't think I've seen a movie have such negative word of mouth, since...I dunno, Jewish people boycotting Passion of the Christ?

Even the Ridley Scott whitewashed Moses movie at least had the benefit of not also shitting on a franchise with very vocal fans (I didn't hear any Christian groups condemning its take on the story)

Slime

Banned
So cyberpunk is just an off-limits thing from here on out? What?

I think people overestimate how open to specific, niche aesthetics general audiences are. I guarantee there's a huge segment of moviegoers who saw the trailer, thought they'd seen it at least twice before, and wrote it off immediately.

Honestly, the movie flopped for other reasons. It was not a well made movie regardless. I think that using Asian actress would have made it do worse especially in Asia. I know that's weird, but whitewashing is not something that people really care about outside of the US.

jmdajr

I think people overestimate how open to specific, niche aesthetics general audiences are. I guarantee there's a huge segment of moviegoers who saw the trailer, thought they'd seen it at least twice before, and wrote it off immediately.

And yet people keep going to see Marvel and Fast and The Furious Movies. Can't just disregard a whole genre because one movie didn't do a good job off it.

Why not write off all post apocalyptic movies? Road Warrior was good enough, let's stay home and not see Mad Mad Fury Road.

Slime

Banned
And yet people keep going to see Marvel and Fast and The Furious Movies. Can't just disregard a whole genre because one movie didn't do a good job off it.

Why not write off all post apocalyptic movies? Road Warrior was good enough, let's stay home and not see Mad Mad Fury Road.

I'm not saying "cyberpunk movies are totes over guys," but I do think there being a lot of flops in a certain genre will dampen enthusiasm for similar films, especially if like this one they also get a cold reception. If these movies aren't received well critically they just get lost in the noise. If Blade Runner doesn't suck I'm sure it'll be fine, but that's also unfair because it's pretty much the archetype.

I guarantee that in a decade people will be trying to figure out which shitty Matrix-y movie caused all the controversy, the one with Milla Jovovich, Charlize Theron, or Scarlett Johansson?

boiled goose

good with gravy
as not an anime fanboy:

The whitewashing for me fit a narrative of what the movie is and isn't. It communicated that it's a typical cash in adaptation, and not a real work of love.

Adaptations like Lotr didn't feel like cash ins.

The fact that the studio cares so much about star power and mass audience appeal almost means that it will automatically not be that great. It's a studio product. Not an artistic work.

LordKasual

Banned
Went to see the movie with like 8 friends. For reference, we're all minorities of the Black and Asian flavor.

All of us were skeptical of the movie going in. Whitewashing was an obvious topic, but we none of us really cared that much because Scarlett. (!!) It was just something to do that day mostly.

Only two of us seemed to like the film. I was one of those two people. The main complaint of the movie was that it was boring and lacked action scenes, not that it was racially offensive or anything...which is funny, because those are the exact same reasons i never watched the Ghost in the Shell anime when it first aired over here.

I see that some people take issue with the fact the MC was "really japanese" except in a white woman's body. Which is about as much of a cop-out as Jurassic World actually acknowledging the fact that dinosaurs had feathers but nonetheless decided not to render them accurately. It feels shitty in hindsight but the actual reasoning behind it (within the confines of the movie) made sense to me.

I think the movie flopped simply because its concept wasn't for everyone. Just like the anime wasn't for everyone. The whitewashing controversy just served to sink it further, but I believe people are severely overshooting it they believe this movie would have done significantly better if the MCs were represented correctly. Ghost in the Shell is simply not that type of material.

I'm not saying "cyberpunk movies are totes over guys," but I do think there being a lot of flops in a certain genre will dampen enthusiasm for similar films, especially if like this one they also get a cold reception. If these movies aren't received well critically they just get lost in the noise. If Blade Runner doesn't suck I'm sure it'll be fine, but that's also unfair because it's pretty much the archetype.

I guarantee that in a decade people will be trying to figure out which shitty Matrix-y movie caused all the controversy, the one with Milla Jovovich, Charlize Theron, or Scarlett Johansson?

1 flop of a critically panned movie isn't going to do anything

I know it probably didn't impact opening box office. But can we also not attribute the film's lack of success to the fact that it just wasn't very good?

WOM on this wouldn't have been super kind. Felt empty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom