• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost in the Shell's ending spurs new accusations of even worse whitewashing

Status
Not open for further replies.

sun-drop

Nope

Oh yeah, you're the person who complained about those insecure uppity Asians preventing you from see more Anime movies.

Lol.. I did? Or maybe you inferred the second half of that sentence based on an assumption...How's that any better than the prejudice accused of the makers of this film?

What I was getting at is how the media in general has jumped on this topic ,over this film...Where basically it's the stupidest role to make this a poster child for there can be. The lead role is a freaking robot stripped of any definitive ethnicity.

Did you actually watch it? I not just the headline? Like pretty much everyone hating​ on this movie atm

The same guy did a epic break down of the original.

https://youtu.be/l9v8FzQ2btg

Yes I did watch it. I watched it when it first came out on my feed. I particularly take issue with the idea that the movie adaptation should be forgiven because ambiguity and lack of humanity is part of Kusanagi's character. If it actually doesn't matter then I again don't know why an Asian actor was not used at least for the sake of promoting diversity and a minority actor rather than "playing it safe" and using what everyone seems to think is the default race: white. White isn't the absence of ethnicity, it is, non-ambiguously, an ethnicity. It is a choice that the adaptors made instead of utilizing another ethnicity.

Did you actually watch it? I not just the headline? Like pretty much everyone hating​ on this movie atm

The same guy did a epic break down of the original.

He talks about the same shit I've been refuting all day.
"Star power"
"Need to make money"
"Artificial body"
"Motoko looks white"

oh and how can I forget
"Forced politics"
I regret watching the whole video because I guessed all the shit he was gonna say from the title. Also I don't need a dude whitesplaining why I shouldn't take issue with it.
Lol.. I did? Or maybe you inferred the second half of that sentence based on an assumption...How's that any better than the prejudice accused of the makers of this film?

way to go internet - it's hard enough getting stuff like this green lit with any budget at all i imagine ... but insecure whitewashing BS had this movie in a hole from the get go.
_____
What I was getting at is how the media in general has jumped on this topic ,over this film...Where basically it's the stupidest role to make this a poster child for there can be. The lead role is a freaking robot stripped of any definitive ethnicity.

Yeah, literally stripped of her Japanese identity and put in a white body. It is literal white washing implemented in the story so they can play it off as white guilt and go "It's not white washing cuz the themes and lore!"

massoluk

Banned

Missing the issue pointed repeatedly in this thread entirely

At this point I have a morbid curiosity in seeing Akira get made because I would like to see what the excuses from some people will be.

Also Evangelion too. You know have Michael Cera play the main character but of course he'll still be named Shinji Ikari.

EVOL 100%

I can't decide whether this is the funniest or saddest thread on GAF I've seen lately

Fucking hell, if the opinions of this forum - which is constantly criticized as a liberal echo chamber - I shudder to think what the general sentiment towards whitewashing is outside this place

Nanashrew

Banned
At this point I have a morbid curiosity in seeing Akira get made because I would like to see what the excuses from some people will be.

Also Evangelion too. You know have Michael Cera play the main character but of course he'll still be named Shinji Ikari.

Nah, they'd change his name to something like Sean Icarus.

I really don't want to know what a Hollywood Akira would be like. White washing would be one thing, but how would they explain just about everything else involving Akira, including the name of the title.

sun-drop

Yes I did watch it. I watched it when it first came out on my feed. I particularly take issue with the idea that the movie adaptation should be forgiven because ambiguity and lack of humanity is part of Kusanagi's character. If it actually doesn't matter then I again don't know why an Asian actor was not used at least for the sake of promoting diversity and a minority actor rather than "playing it safe" and using what everyone seems to think is the default race: white. White isn't the absence of ethnicity, it is, non-ambiguously, an ethnicity. It is a choice that the adaptors made instead of utilizing another ethnicity.

Because the reality of it is, maybe sadly, that with out a big name assigned to the role the cash simply isn't there. And basically scarjo was the closest fit when looking at it from all perspectives. She does actually look similar to the character as presented. She's had some big action blockbusters to her name, but she also has roles like lost in translation so can hopefully bring a more diverse audience to seats. It's not always about race.

I mean like I mentioned in the other thread this film debuted here in NZ, where is was filmed, basically playing g third fiddle to Beauty and the Beast and Power Rangers. It was actually a struggle to find a session on the biggest screen here in Wellington. That was a shock to me frankly. For that to happen here...In the city it's filmed in, where basically anything with even the slightest association to the town gets pumped like hell. I can only imagine this might not even had a release here with out a name like hers attached to it.

Maybe nz isn't the best example...But I'm sure it applies. Hell even John wick 2 didn't get a NZ release...Well...It kinda has...But people had to cry out for it and I think we get it in may... Freaking ridiculous.

I don't know anything about this series? So is what's in the spoiler the whole point of the series
swapping bodies
but the assumption for the comic book is that
all the bodies are Japanese as it's set in Japan.

sun-drop

Yeah, literally stripped of her Japanese identity and put in a white body. It is literal white washing implemented in the story so they can play it off as white guilt and go "It's not white washing cuz the themes and lore!"

You saw it that way...I took it as underlining of like the most important theme of the original, she's a ghost in a shell...Her body is just a mechanical accessory. What better way to highlight that fact her discovering what she did. They could have gone even further and had her find out she was a male back in her real previous life.

Hell they pretty much expanded on the scene with the garbage truck camo guy in the original discovering his life as he knew it was a lie thanks to implaneted memories.

The film is a mash up of ideas drawn from the original movie,and the series . That's pretty obvious to me anyways.

I mean at the very least it's hardly the black and white situation the media have presented. Makes good press though right, and gets clicks.

If this had been a white character recast with an Asian actress, the studio would've been lauded for minority representation and encouraging diversity. However, when it's the other way around it's seen as problematic?

And before people pile on me, I would've preferred an Asian actress but Scarlet was completely fine in my opinion.

Well yes, people wouldn't equate the two situations because one situation happens extensively more often than the other.

Because the reality of it is, maybe sadly, that with out a big name assigned to the role the cash simply isn't there. And basically scarjo was the closest fit when looking at it from all perspectives. She does actually look similar to the character as presented. She's had some big action blockbusters to her name, but she also has roles like lost in translation so can hopefully bring a more diverse audience to seats. It's not always about race.

This is why we have the discussion in the first place; so that the movers and shakers get rid of their backwards idea that a name always means a sure thing. Hell if they actually thought about it for more than 2 seconds in this case they actually had the opportunity to possibly make bank in the overseas Asian markets by making an Asian actress the poster child.

Holding back a film and the industry from experimenting with actually hiring a minority because of fear is a myth that needs dispelling. There are Asian actresses that can pull off Makoto and ScarJo only has blockbusters under her belt because she was given an opportunity to show herself. At some point ScarJo was not a name and only by taking a risk on her did she get more and more opportunities. There is a universe where a halting fear of not making money led to people such as Donnie Yen and Riz Ahmed being denied roles in place of white people. This is the crux of the issue. This is why it is about race because too often in Hollywood, white is considered the safe choice when that's not a garuntee.

Jinroh

I think the issue is not just white washing. I'm a big fan of the AvP comics and the movie replaced Machiko (a japanese woman) with a black woman. That's a case of what, black washing?

I don't know if there are other examples like this one but overall I think asian actors are often relegated to second roles.

Even GTA does that. No love for asians.

Chumley

Banned
You saw it that way...I took it as underlining of like the most important theme of the original, she's a ghost in a shell...Her body is just a mechanical accessory. What better way to highlight that fact her discovering what she did. They could have gone even further and had her find out she was a male back in her real previous life.

This is exactly what it was, but people determined to see it as cynical political commentary can't really have their minds changed. The most I can do is tell those people to go see Under the Skin and try and re-examine GitS after watching it.

Trokil

Banned
This is exactly what it was, but people determined to see it as cynical political commentary can't really have their minds changed.

Nobody can stop the outrage Borg, resistance is futile. And it probably was not even about the movie. Also impressive the amount of misogyny in this thread.

I mean like I mentioned in the other thread this film debuted here in NZ, where is was filmed, basically playing g third fiddle to Beauty and the Beast and Power Rangers. It was actually a struggle to find a session on the biggest screen here in Wellington. That was a shock to me frankly. For that to happen here...In the city it's filmed in, where basically anything with even the slightest association to the town gets pumped like hell. I can only imagine this might not even had a release here with out a name like hers attached to it.

Maybe nz isn't the best example...But I'm sure it applies. Hell even John wick 2 didn't get a NZ release...Well...It kinda has...But people had to cry out for it and I think we get it in may... Freaking ridiculous.

I don't see how whitewashing controversy keeps you from getting movies or having movies filmed in New Zealand.

1. Two of the biggest movie trilogies ever were filmed there.
2. The movie didn't bomb just because of the whitewashing. The controversy didn't help, but the ice berg that sank it was the middling reviews and poor marketing.
3. No one is blaming New Zealand for the movie bombing domestically so I don't even know why that would affect anything

It can be business motivated and about race. Why do people struggle to come up with any big name Asian stars? The reason there aren't any bankable international Asian stars isn't because Asians are inherently bad actors.

Hell they pretty much expanded on the scene with the garbage truck camo guy in the original discovering his life as he knew it was a lie thanks to implaneted memories.

The film is a mash up of ideas drawn from the original movie,and the series . That's pretty obvious to me anyways.

They could have gone even further, but my problem is that they didn't. They didn't go far enough for me to buy that they were sincere about their themes. I could buy it if, at the end of the movie, they made it so they had to transfer her body over to an asian body, or a black body, or latina/latino body. But they don't. Because it might be a series and they wanna keep Scarjo. It's really hard to buy their sincerity when they still put a business decision first at the end of the day.

And you know what? They are completely entitled to make a business decision. But don't play it off as a clever twist that I'm supposed to take as some deep message about race and how that relates to our identity.

Using a white actress to be the face of the message that "skin color and race doesn't matter" is tone deaf. Is it malicious? No. But it is tone deaf and totally worth criticizing.

Nobody can stop the outrage Borg, resistance is futile. And it probably was not even about the movie. Also impressive the amount of misogyny in this thread.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=233283528&postcount=249

So, people start to get on the outrage train because of the white is purity thing. Something which is no issue, because white is purity for pretty much the whole history of humanity already and also in pretty much every culture. So it uses one of the most ancient color associations we have.

So it starts lose steam, because the outrage train can only run on outrage and people find something 6 year old to get it started again. I know some 30-50 year old beauty commercials which are very sexist, that should add some steam again to keep this rolling for at least another few pages.

You're really gonna stick with that huh?

Yes. So let the dogpiling begin.

Hey, you set the table, I just came to eat.

You wanna have a sensible discussion? I'll put on my napkin.
You wanna call people names like outrage machine? You wanna tell people to get over it? You wanna tell people to shut up about it? I'm not gonna be polite.

I don't come at anyone who doesn't deserve it. If I dig through someone's recent post history, it's cause I'm looking for a pattern of rude and dismissive behavior. If it's a one time thing, I might try to be polite, but if you have a pattern, then I'm not wasting my time.

Trokil

Banned
Hey, you set the table, I just came to eat.

You wanna have a sensible discussion? I'll put on my napkin.
You wanna call people names like outrage machine? You wanna tell people to get over it? You wanna tell people to shut up about it? I'm not gonna be polite.

I don't come at anyone who doesn't deserve it.

You act like any outrage is justified or even on the same level. But all what stuff like the Nivea add outrage does is, creating this fog of war in which people can hide easily. Trump won, because people were outraged so often, his crap was just another exploding star in the vaste infinity of space.

It is like the boy who cried wolf, if you start outrage on everything, like color associations when the real wolf arrives, people may not listen to you anymore. But I will not stop you, just don't be suprised when it will happen again.

You act like any outrage is justified or even on the same level. But all what stuff like the Nivea add outrage does is, creating this fog of war in which people can hide easily. Trump won, because people were outraged so often, his crap was just another exploding star in the vaste infinity of space.

It is like the boy who cried wolf, if you start outrage on everything, like color associations when the real wolf arrives, people may not listen to you anymore.
Complaining about whitewashing got Trump elected? I guess these kinds of topics should never be mentioned until "real racism" is totally abolished with no chance of returning. We had a black president, but then we got Trump, so we can't be sure. Best to never talk about these things ever again just to be sure.

I don't think I've ever used the word "racist" in my posts about this subject. And if I did, it's because I was saying "I don't think Rupert Sanders is racist." I have always held the stance that I don't think the filmmakers are malicious or bearing any racist intent. They might be well intended, but misguided. If you think the amount in which it gets discussed somehow means I'm elevating this issue into the stratosphere next to conflict in the Middle East, starving kids in Africa, and Trump, then you are waaaaay off base. I'm Asian, it is something that I care about a lot. So sorry. Luckily I can care about multiple things at once.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Trump won, because people were outraged so often, his crap was just another exploding star in the vaste infinity of space.
I think this...metaphor? Made more sense in your head.

Also lol at Trump subbing because of """outrage""", okay dude.

Okay.

Jebusman

Banned
Trokil you are the living embodiment of crying wolf. In fact the moment anyone disagrees with you you instantly jump to the "oh boy people are going to dogpile me just like always" deflection, without ever having a single moment of self reflection to wonder "why".

No one listens anymore. Grow up.
Have an actual discussion without immediately jumping to the persecution complex.

I come back to this thread and it's already 20 pages instead of the 8 I last checked, and we still having the same dumb arguemnts.

This isn't about the story of GitS being vague enough to allow a white actress portryal. This is about another wasted opportunity for Asian American actors/actresses being unable to star in movies they would be most applicable in. It's fucking anime, imported asian/japanese media, you'd think asian americans would fit the role easily yeah?

Put simply, why can't fucking asian americans portray themselves as fucking asians in Western movies.

wazoo

this would have been my pick.

MV5BMjI0NTQ4MzgxMl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMzI1MzU2Nw@@._V1_UY317_CR62,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

my second choice

latest

Ok, some names would have been welcomed.

Nanashrew

Banned
I come back to this thread and it's already 20 pages instead of the 8 I last checked, and we still having the same dumb arguemnts.

This isn't about the story of GitS being vague enough to allow a white actress portryal. This is about another wasted opportunity for Asian American actors/actresses being unable to star in movies they would be most applicable in. It's fucking anime, imported asian/japanese media, you'd think asian americans would fit the role easily yeah?

Put simply, why can't fucking asian americans portray themselves as fucking asians in Western movies.

Exactly. They didn't even have to make that whitewashing subplot too had they chose an asian actress. It was so simple to just walk around the minefield altogether.

Trokil

Banned
Complaining about whitewashing got Trump elected? I guess these kinds of topics should never be mentioned until "real racism" is totally abolished with no chance of returning. We had a black president, but then we got Trump, so we can't be sure. Best to never talk about these things ever again just to be sure.

People like Bill Maher tried to explain why this perpetual outrage only helps people like Trump. Look I can not and I will not stop you, but at least I can comment if another outrage is something we call in German "ein Sturm im Wasserglas" meaning a tempest in a teapot. That is part of free speech, not everybody shares your concern and also more important, not everybody will always listen to you.

Nanashrew

Banned
People like Bill Maher tried to explain why this perpetual outrage only helps people like Trump. Look I can not and I will not stop you, but at least I can comment if another outrage is something we call in German "ein Sturm im Wasserglas" meaning a tempest in a teapot. That is part of free speech, not everybody shares your concern and also more important, not everybody will always listen to you.

Bill Maher is not the best person to take inspiration from when he is incredibly Islamophobic, and has been known to side himself on some very terrible issues. He does not like listening to the other side himself and gets outraged at genuine outrage people have about something.

_mail

The fact that these "outrages" are out of your concern is quite ineffectively shown by you continuously showing your disapproval with these silly posts. If you don't care about something, fine, but why drop into a thread to attack those who do? We're here in this thread discuss the issue, why do you get to shut down the discussion by being the arbiter of what is worth talking about?

People like Bill Maher tried to explain why this perpetual outrage only helps people like Trump.
I couldn't give less of a shit what Bill Maher thinks.

Look I can not and I will not stop you, but at least I can comment if another outrage is something we call in German "ein Sturm im Wasserglas" meaning a tempest in a teapot.

That's nice. Maybe, don't come waltzing into a thread topic calling people names in a condescending way next time you wanna tell people what they have a right be angry about.

That is part of free speech, not everybody shares your concern

I'm not asking anyone to be angry on my behalf.
not everybody will always listen to you.

That's fine, I don't care. Not everybody has to come into a thread specifically about whitewashing.

For someone who preaches free speech, you seem to hate it when people practice it.

Trokil

Banned
The fact that these "outrages" are out of your concern is quite ineffectively shown by you continuously showing your disapproval with these silly posts. If you don't care about something, fine, but why drop into a thread to attack those who do? We're here in this thread discuss the issue, why do you get to shut down the discussion by being the arbiter of what is worth talking about?

So you are saying even mentioning, that white is purity is a 5000 year old color association, something common for pretty much every culture on this planet, something which you can even find on wikipedia and by that the discussion is quite silly, is an attack on people who care about things, because this is very serious to some. Or that in the context of this movie, the whitewashing debate is a very big stretch if you look at the universe it is based on.

So pretty much every form of criticism ever can be shut down by that, because for somebody every topic is very important.

For someone who preaches free speech, you seem to hate it when people practice it.

Sadly it is part of free speech that I can tell people if I think something is silly. Maybe this will change soon, but until then, I may use that right.

So you are saying even mentioning, that white is purity is a 5000 year old color association, something common for pretty much every culture on this planet, something which you can even find on wikipedia and by that the discussion is quite silly, is an attack on people who care about things, because this is very serious to some. Or that in the context of this movie, the whitewashing debate is a very big stretch if you look at the universe it is based on.

So pretty much every form of criticism ever can be shut down by that, because for somebody every topic very important.

You really wanna downplay your initial post as nothing but friendly debate huh?
Sadly it is part of free speech that I can tell people if I think something is silly. Maybe this will change soon, but until then, I may use that right.

And part of free speech is that people can call you out if they think you're being an ass. Free speech doesn't shield you from criticism, it just means you won't go to jail. When you post shit like this

Don't act surprised when people call you out for it and play yourself as the victim of dogpiling.

Yes. So let the dogpiling begin.

TheContact

I dont want to come off as ignorant but I read the spoilers and I don't get how that is racist. What am I missing here ?
A Japanese brain put into a cyborg is racist?

Or did it not read this right. It's early :/

I dont want to come off as ignorant but I read the spoilers and I don't get how that is racist. What am I missing here ?

Not maliciously racist. But incredibly tone deaf and misguided.

massoluk

Banned

It is tone deaf and somewhat invalidated the excuses the star and the people involved made about this film prior to release

EVOL 100%

I first came in this thread feeling mildly annoyed by the choice made in the film - Then the outrage about outrage force came swinging in, being more offensive than the film could possibly be.

MsKrisp

I'm so sick of the endless circles people go in to try to justify Hollywood whitewashing, especially when it involves Asian Americans. It's even worse than other Asians agree with this shit. Stop acting like it's about trying to force diversity. Stop spouting the same bullshit about billable actors. The movie bombed. Did Scarjo save it from doing worse than it would have if they would have fucking given an Asian actress the role? And why do so many people pretend that Hollywood hasn't been horribly racist since it's inception?

I first came in this thread feeling mildly annoyed by the choice made in the film - Then the outrage about outrage force came swinging in, being more offensive than the film could possibly be.

Being offended by people's offense is a popular path to outrage these days.

suzu

If you enjoyed the GitS movie, that's fine. But don't go implying there's like some fake outrage cabal or that people shouldn't complain cuz you personally did not have a problem with the whitewashing.

Hollywood doesn't need that defense.

mantidor

Feel free to disagree about the merits or demerits of the casting in this particular film, but don't act like people aren't making legitimate points about Hollywood's treatment of Asian actors.

If you think that GITS isn't the right kind of avenue for that criticism, that's understandable. But dismissing all criticism as people being offended "just because" is really myopic.

Absolutely I actually agree with you on all points, we do disagree about GiTS casting specifically, but I can't deny Hollywood is messed up and this would have been a good opportunity.

But there is something about American audiences as well, because Memoirs of a Geisha bombed, and that one came from a very, very popular book, the movie is spoken in english, and the cast, while the were all Asian were also big stars. You can see where producers were coming from when they casted GiTS.

kunonabi

I think the issue is not just white washing. I'm a big fan of the AvP comics and the movie replaced Machiko (a japanese woman) with a black woman. That's a case of what, black washing?

I don't know if there are other examples like this one but overall I think asian actors are often relegated to second roles.

Even GTA does that. No love for asians.

Black washing Asians is pretty common. They are absolutely third tier as far as Hollywood is concerned.

wazoo

But there is something about American audiences as well, because Memoirs of a Geisha bombed, and that one came from a very, very popular book, the movie is spoken in english, and the cast, while the were all Asian were also big stars. You can see where producers were coming from when they casted GiTS.

Hollywood is not anti-asian. They are anti-money loser. In the late 90s and later, Tsui Hark and John Woo, Chow Yun Fat, Jackie Chan and Jet Li got their chances and made their worst output, both in terms of sales and quality.

Zhang Ziyi and Gong Li have a much better career in the east. As you said Memoirs of a Geisha among others bombed hard.

Hollywood is not treating well asian actors, but this is not a 0/1 situation. They tried in the past.

I would have loved Maggie Q in that GITS role, but be realistic, she is in at TV shows level of popularity.

Hollywood is not anti-asian. They are anti-money loser. In the late 90s and later, Tsui Hark and John Woo, Chow Yun Fat, Jackie Chan and Jet Li got their chances and made their worst output, both in terms of sales and quality.

Zhang Ziyi and Gong Li have a much better career in the east. As you said Memoirs of a Geisha among others bombed hard.

Hollywood is not treating well asian actors, but this is not a 0/1 situation. They tried in the past.

I would have loved Maggie Q in that GITS role, but be realistic, she is in at TV shows level of popularity.

For the most part, didn't all of Woo's western movies do rather well? Hard Target, Broken Arrow, Face/Off, and Mission Impossible 2 all did rather well. And while Jackie certainly had some bad releases, he was also critical in Rush Hour's success. I actually remember RH2 being praised because it was one of the few times back then that a movie was that successful without a white person among the main cast.

Zoe

It's a completely unnecessary plot twist that serves nothing more than to twist the knife and pour salt on the wound of the people who were already frustrated by the whitewashing.

There was no reason to make her past life Japanese.

firelogic

Maggie Q would have been a great choice. She looks the part, she speaks perfect English, she's done action (very well) before, and while she looks Asian, she doesn't look TOO Asian to scare off the general audience. Plus, she's not much older than ScarJo. 5 years difference is nothing.

wazoo

Maggie Q would have been a great choice. She looks the part, she speaks perfect English, she's done action (very well) before, and while she looks Asian, she doesn't look TOO Asian to scare off the general audience. Plus, she's not much older than ScarJo. 5 years difference is nothing.

Of course she would have been a great choice. But, she is clearly not recognized as much as ScarJo, and she is probably deep engaged in designated Survivor. She was also acting in Divergente 2/3, so probably too busy.

Of course I did not implied they ask for her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom