• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"People in Japan worship white people." Fascinating GitS Roundtable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fisty

The best part is that they probably would have made more money with an all-Asian cast at this rate.

Now THAT is a twist

He's cool but definitely the exception. Usually if you saw a black dude it somebody like Bobby Ologun or Bob Sapp clowning

Yeah, anytime they brought them on, the joke is usually just "big black guy reacts." Always kinda weirded me out when I watch Gaki.
I went to a primarily white high school. I'm well aware, though it does sound like yours might have been worse, since the teachers at mine probably would have stepped in.
The teacher probably would have said something if I had said something, but I didn't. I was the only Asian kid in that class and cared too much about making friends and being cool and didn't wanna seem like a person who couldn't take a joke etc. I really wish I said something back then.

All Asians?
Only the ones that speak English. Otherwise we're seen as nothing but bothersome foreigners.

You mean are, but here you go:

Mario,
Luigi,
Princess Peach
Samus Aran
Bayonetta
Chris Redfield
Claire Redfield
Leon Kennedy
Jill Valentine
Barry
The Guy from Nioh
Ness
Jeff
Paula
Snake
Link
Arthur
Castlevania protagonists
Dylan Morton
Regina
Frank West
Chuck Greene
Mike Haggar
Cody
The guy from Urban Reign
Nina Williams in Death by Degrees

I could go on.

Isn't Snake part Japanese?

Was that not a very late retcon?

In Metal Gear Solid, Vulcan Raven mentions Snake's eastern blood. Though I think the Japanese woman's zygote thing is the retcon, but Naked Snake has japanese blood in him iirc.

According to the wiki

http://metalgear.wikia.com/wiki/Big_Boss

"According to the Handbook, Big Boss was a third generation Japanese-American who was born in Hawaii. The entire American side of his family had perished during the Japanese attacks on Pearl Harbor. While his Japanese relatives were locked up in internment camps, he joined the 442nd Infantry Regiment in his teens."

Izuna

Banned
It was in MGS1 "blood from the east flows in your veins".

Hmm... completely passed by me

~~

I'd rather not add to that list, mostly because I'm sure people are aware of the many examples. At the very least, out of the popular Japanese games. It's an off-topic point anyway

I'd rather not add to that list, mostly because I'm sure people are aware of the many examples. At the very least, out of the popular Japanese games. It's an off-topic point anyway

Agreed, I actually think is a good idea that a developer is willing to try to use protagonists other than their own ethnicity, these companies don't exclusively use one race. It makes you wonder why there hasn't been the western equivalent of an Afro Samurai (Furi is the closest I guess) or Garcian Smith that is not from an indie.

Are we not taking into account the thousands of games that never get released overseas? Are those games filled with white people too?

No and the list doesn't add much to the discussion.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
One of Big Boss's Grand-parents was supposed to be Japanese, or something like that.
Pretty sure the egg that was fertilized to make the Snakes was Japanese. I think that was even in MGS1? But definitely in MGS4 (with Eva being the surrogate mother carrying it to term)

I know Japanese people respect us White folk, but I'd be suprized if it was close to a level of "worship".
I couldnt help but notice, when the DoAX3 roster was announced, all the Asian girls made the cut (via a popularity poll), whereas none of the White girls did (Helena was given a pass over Lei Fang despite the poll results).
Though its true that all the DoA girls have a White skin tone and facial features, I still thought it was interesting that the Japanese gamers pretty much exclusively chose the Asian girls and makes me believe the Japanese physical ideal (for a sexy girl at least) largely involves being Japanese.

kswiston

Pretty sure the egg that was fertilized to make the Snakes was Japanese. I think that was even in MGS1? But definitely in MGS4 (with Eva being the surrogate mother carrying it to term)

That doesn't mean much. Snake was cloned, so the only thing he inherited from his "mother" were mitochondria. He'd be the same as Big Boss.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
After the first image of Scarlett Johansson in character sparked whitewashing backlash last spring, Paramount quickly announced the casting of Rila Fukushima. I saw her name in the opening credits, but I didn't see her.

Kato-Kiriyama: She was in this movie?

Agena: Is she possibly — there's the original Motoko that gets dragged out. It's all blurry, but she passes by Scarlett Johansson...

Yoshihara: Holy shit...

There were only two young Japanese women who weren't robots in the movie. One was human Motoko, and the other was when Batou gets his X-ray eyes and he briefly X-rays in on the Japanese secretary. Maybe that was her? [Editor's note: According to this behind-the-scenes video at special effects studio Weta Workshop, Fukushima was the face model for the geisha robots.]
Hey guys, look at our DIVERSE casting!!!!

Izuna

Banned
I know Japanese people respect us White folk, but I'd be suprized if it was close to a level of "worship".
I couldnt help but notice, when the DoAX3 roster was announced, all the Asian girls made the cut (via a popularity poll), whereas none of the White girls did (Helena was given a pass over Lei Fang despite the poll results).
Though its true that all the DoA girls have a White skin tone and facial features, I still thought it was interesting that the Japanese gamers pretty much exclusively chose the Asian girls and makes me believe the Japanese physical ideal (for a sexy girl at least) largely involves being Japanese.

I just think attitudes have changed.

Black hair is popular again, half-Japanese stars aren't "the most beautiful", and there are dudes in Roppongi who aren't getting any.

AKB48 has saved Japan

~~

joking aside, I was puzzled with my ex-said that white babies looked like angels

that was a real lost in translation moment

I think that's probably because the Japanese girls are of better design than the western girls in that game.

The one western girl that made it through with easy is Maria

So I guess this is of those oh so rare moments people give a shit about the Japanese PC market, and it's about VNs. Pity about their indie scene.

I personally think Japanese indies are neat, they need better publishers to localize it and make it available to the west. I wish more games had a Cave Story like success. Like this trailer from last year's Comiket has a lot of neat stuff that we probably would only get if by some small chance someone does an english fan translation, and sadly that wouldn't put money into the creator's pocket.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7HvaBsdAu4

I personally think Japanese indies are neat, they need better publishers to localize it and make it available to the west. I wish more games had a Cave Story like success. Like this trailer from last year's Comiket has a lot of neat stuff that we probably would only get if by some small chance someone does an english fan translation, and sadly that wouldn't put money into the creator's pocket.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7HvaBsdAu4

There was a bit of a push for a certain while with the likes of Carpe Fulgur breaking ground with Recettear But it's been quiet on that front for a while. Although Valve's decision to laissez faire the fuck out of their vetting system meant some quality titles making it through (and the 'mysterious' case of the vast majority of anime games with the nudity tag getting automatic top ratings, even garbage like the Sakura series). I fear however Steam's recent decision to restructure of their induction model may mean lost games in the process.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Searching
https://vndb.org/
filter options: from japan, since 1981

I got 347 pages (50 games/page) of result plus 7 in the last page.

17.357 VNs .... holy shit, that is a lot of VN since 1981.
And all of them with white protagonists...

Or something...

kingslunk

planetakeoff.jpg

Qvoth

Let me iterate once again: People's opinions outside of the US are irrelevant when talking about media being made in the US for the US.

this film is most definitely not just aiming for the US market
hell even if it does, the sales show that it's doing poorly so they must be doing something wrong

Hexa

And all of them with white protagonists...

Or something...

Filter: Protagonist with a Face. Results: 2661.
So only about 15% actually show you the protagonist at all so feel free to pretend they're whatever you want.

This is caused by the oversaturation of white peoples in media. It is exactly why giving important roles to non white actors is so important

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom