• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paramount Says ‘Ghost In The Shell’ Flopped Because Of Whitewashing Controversy

Status
Not open for further replies.

JABEE

I feel the film's appeal was limited from the start. GiTS or any anime property will have limited appeal in North America.

Scarlett Johansson in this film probably helped it get made, but her casting probably sounds better on paper to a financier than it works as executed. Johansson in the role was not only weird, but also controversial.

$110 million for a LIVE action anime film is crazy. What is the most popular anime property in the United States with mainstream appeal? I feel Dragon Ball would be the title, but that movie flopped.

It would be interesting to see a live action Cowboy Bebop film. When I think about it, I think the quality of the films have and style have more to do with a film tanking or not. I think Ghost in the Shell would work better with a different direction, but I don't know if it gets financed.

I consider myself a fan of GitS but the trailers did this movie no favors. They all looked like someone was making a documentary about bad cosplay at the Comic-Con.

Not

Banned
You could've tried making a good movie. But sure, this is a good scapegoat. And there are worse ones you could've settled upon if it means you're going to start casting Asian-Americans. That is if you ever try to tackle a big-budget anime adaptation ever again.

I feel the film's appeal was limited from the start. GiTS or any anime property will have limited appeal in North America.

Scarlett Johansson in this film probably helped it get made, but her casting probably sounds better on paper to a financier than it works as executed. Johansson in the role was not only weird, but also controversial.

$110 million for a LIVE action anime film is crazy. What is the most popular anime property in the United States with mainstream appeal? I feel Dragon Ball would be the title, but that movie flopped.

It would be interesting to see a live action Cowboy Bebop film. When I think about it, I think the quality of the films have and style have more to do with a film tanking or not. I think Ghost in the Shell would work better with a different direction, but I don't know if it gets financed.

Shhhhh don't give them any ideas.

Not

Banned
With a live-action Cowboy Bebop, they could actually cast white actors if they wanted. What the hell's keeping them from adapting that again?

wazoo

I know it probably didn't impact opening box office. But can we also not attribute the film's lack of success to the fact that it just wasn't very good?

Come on. "Not very good" movies are making tons of money all the time.

It is all about marketing. People do not see a movie because it is bad. They do not go to the theater because they do not WANT to go, they are not pushed to go.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
With a live-action Cowboy Bebop, they could actually cast white actors if they wanted. What the hell's keeping them from adapting that again?

They buy up properties based on word of mouth instead of any actual expertise, and then adapt them willy nilly based on some convoluted system of astrological signs, instead of picking the right time and the right place with the right director who has the right vision.

wazoo

I just had a look to the trailer.

The movie does not look "fun" at all, which for a public raised to like marvel movies is a crime.

navii

My fantasy is that my girlfriend was actually a young high school girl.
While the fans could have been hyping the movie up, they were tearing it down with a whitewashing controversy.

Now hollywood can decide if they say fuck it and leave anime movies alone or give what you demand and see if it makes money.

wazoo

While the fans could have been hyping the movie up, they were tearing it down with a whitewashing controversy.

Now hollywood can decide if they say fuck it and leave anime movies alone or give what you demand and see if it makes money.

They will probably decide that anime is not worth it.

Why couldn't Asians shut up so that Anime representation could have a chance?

Alienfan

As much as I want to belief this... The controversy wasn't even that big, it would have bombed regardless, a Japanese lead might have meant it would have done better in Japan, but that wasn't going to save the movie.

DrSlek

Even without the whitewashing controversy...I've already seen Ghost in the Shell. I own the original movie. What is the incentive for me to see a slightly different movie that I already own?

Dazza

Dragonball was terrible, that fan flick was absolutely miles above it. The top anime property without a doubt would be Pokemon.

That executive statement was so tone deaf yet again, blaming "fanboys" and negative reviews only because of whitewashing allegations.

wazoo

Even without the whitewashing controversy...I've already seen Ghost in the Shell. I own the original movie. What is the incentive for me to see a slightly different movie that I already own?

Ok. Wake me up when Superman/Batman number XXXX flop.

KSweeley

Dragonball was terrible, that fan flick was absolutely miles above it. The top anime property without a doubt would be Pokemon.

That executive statement was so tone deaf yet again, blaming "fanboys" and negative reviews only because of whitewashing allegations.

And there's a live action Pokemon movie greenlit by Legendary and The Pokemon Company.

Zoe

And surely China dominating the future would be a bonus.

Not

Banned
Oh, I see, too expensive. Yeah, no one wants a half-assed CB movie.

EDIT: Apparently Faye Valentine is Singaporean though so they better not fuck that up.
lol

Not to me. I didn't care about any of that but when I saw the first trailer it looked like an Underground/Resident Evil quality film but a little worse. Pretty much all the action in this movie looks bad. They focused on that in the trailers a lot and that didn't really give a good impression imo.

Phamit

Cyborg/ what's a Human? Movies seem to bomb most of the time anyway, I'm surprised Hollywood still try to make it happen

Oersted

Noone has ever or will ever read Iron Man. Movies, liveaction movies in particular, reach wider than anime, comics and many historical events or even living persons can. Most people around the world only know native americans trough Disneys Pocahontas.

Thing is, you have to give people a reason to watch your movie. What was the reason to watch Ghost in the Shell?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
But what about his glorious jewfro?
Hmm good point.
Oh, I see, too expensive. Yeah, no one wants a half-assed CB movie.

EDIT: Apparently Faye Valentine is Singaporean though so they better not fuck that up.
lol
Wait, WHAT?

DUCKROLL DID YOU KNOW THIS

///PATRIOT

Banned
Nah dude bad movies perform well all the time. This clearly flopped because it couldn't cater to anyone at all.

Fans of GitS saw it and said "well this clearly isn't for me"

The mainstream saw it and said "uh what is this?"

Sacrjo clearly can't carry action movies on her own, and Luc B just doesn't have a die hard enough fanbase like nolan or cameron who will see literally anything that is produced by those two.

Then the controversy on top of that might have just put enough people off.

The majority of people who saw this are people who go to the theater every weekend looking for something to watch.
Solid Opinion, anything else is overthinking it.
I would also add bad promotion and marketing.

jayu26

In my teenage years, when I was into anime, I use to dream of live action adaptations of Dragon Ball, Cowboy Bebop, Ghost in the Shell, Akira, Trigun...Evangelion...

How naive was I? Although, I still think that if done right, a live action adaptation of One Piece can out do Pirates of the Caribbean franchise...IF done right.

100% true for me.

Had heard the name before, saw the trailer and was interested.

Saw how pissed people were, especially with the spoilery reasoning and lost interest.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
Hahaha.

The bite behind using the term "fanboys" is almost palpable.

Businessmen blaming nerds for the lack of success with their nerdy content just makes me absolutely giddy.

SmokeMaxX

Whitewashing definitely didn't help. I was interested in seeing it and even had the opportunity to get free tickets. The whitewashing was a turn off though, so ultimately figured I could spend my money on better movies. Not sure how many people there are like me, but when you're losing money, every small percentage of the population you could've had counts. Also, hiring an Asian actress would've made this movie a whole lot cheaper. They would be less likely to justify high production costs and she'd get a much smaller salary than Scarlett.

Sesha

They're just using the whitewashing controversy to rile the anti-SJWs and distract from their own incompetence.

While the whitewashing undoubtedly had some effect, they also didn't make a good movie, the latter of which shone through in the marketing materials.

Naw, Millia Jovovich makes every RE movie profitable and they aren't good.

ScarJo just isn't an individual BO draw.

Those movies come with different expectations and have slowly built an audience over time. Not to mention being one third to half the budget of this. Final Chapter cost $70m less not accounting for marketing.

Sesha

I'm still sad over losing Cameronlita to Avatar.

DAMN YOU FURRIES

- No Cameron
- Robert Rodriguez directing
- Italian Alita in her 30s who kinda sorta vaguely looks like Alita if you squint

But what about his glorious jewfro?

Not a dealbreaker...

2tqRu9V.jpg

hzzgjVN.jpg

eWUeLMT.jpg

eh

If the movie was pulling a 90+ on Rotten Tomatoes it wouldn't have flopped, and having a white lead didn't doom it to the reviews it got

ISOM

This is the route I took with this movie:

- See ad, Scarjo looks almost naked. Has my attention.
- Realize it is anime, eh wait for reviews
- Reviews are bad, pass.

I think this is a big reason. Most of the general movie going audience are not anime watchers. So they don't care that GITS is an anime adaptation. In fact hearing that it's an anime adaptation probably makes the average person reluctant or wait for reviews. And since the reviews were either average or negative, those people aren't going to waste their time.

The funny thing here is that if they had made this an original movie without adapting this from an anime, the movie would have probably made a lot more money in its opening. And it would have avoided the whitewashing issue.

Or if they had made this with an Asian Lead, I think it could have gotten its own unique buzz and done better than expected. Hollywood failed on multiple fronts with this.

Those movies come with different expectations and have slowly built an audience over time. Not to mention being one third to half the budget of this. Final Chapter cost $70m less not accounting for marketing.

The expectation is to make money.

I have yet to see ScarJo completely carry a movie and it succeed. Lucy was her first shot at action star after playing Black Widow. Fail.

Now we have this. Fail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom