• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost in the Shell's ending spurs new accusations of even worse whitewashing

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajjow

Really people?! Scarlet is famous world wide. An asian actress would never call the atention of people in latin america. This is businness. Famous actors and actress make it easier too call the attention of the public. Get over it.

The movie was pretty good, but the screenplay was mediocre.

LotusHD

Banned
Really people?! Scarlet is famous world wide. An asian actress would never call the atention of people in latin america. This is businness. Famous actors and actress make it easier too call the attention of the public. Get over it.

Why :(

Mesoian

The fact that ScarJo's paycheck for this movie will likely be more than week 1 box office sales means that the business you're talking about is bad business, a losing gamble, and should be the thing the farthest from the norm.

LionPride

Banned

What's your race
In early threads about this I was saying they could work this whole thing as that Motoko being in a white artificial body could be a commentary about the preception that white is more desirable or marketable.

We get shady corporation rounds up homeless Asian children and puts them in white artificial bodies with no payoff for it.

They chose to try and use ScarJo for star power (and she looked like a cool Motoko, none of Motokos character tho) over getting an Asian american actress(which may be for the best, the movie was a "meh" at best and could hurt their career)
I honestly think if they went the route of having a commentary of beauty standards being based on white women, that could've been nice

In early threads about this I was saying they could work this whole thing as that Motoko being in a white artificial body could be a commentary about the preception that white is more desirable or marketable.

We get shady corporation rounds up homeless Asian children and puts them in white artificial bodies with no payoff for it.

They chose to try and use ScarJo for star power (and she looked like a cool Motoko, none of Motokos character tho) over getting an Asian american actress(which may be for the best, the movie was a "meh" at best and could hurt their career)

ajjow

Im from Brazil. Im from a conuntry where capcom puts a monster as blanka as representative of my country.

And i dont feel offended by that. Thats just a stupid game. Its not the president of usa trying to buid a wall. Completely diferent situations with diferents aproacs.

massoluk

Banned

Again, the problem is Asian star never given a lead role to break the cycle, even when a movie based Japanese anime based on Japanese manga set in Asia city centered around Japanese cyborg was greenlighted

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.

"It's a business so they can do whatever they want to make money."

I wonder why latin america is being brought up here all of the sudden. Even the "wait until it crushes the Chinese box office!" defenders don't give a hoot about Latin america.

ajjow

The fact that ScarJo's paycheck for this movie will likely be more than week 1 box office sales means that the business you're talking about is bad business, a losing gamble, and should be the thing the farthest from the norm.

Just because the movie hasnt been well received, it doenst mean that its scarlet faults.

Do you really thinks that a movie with asian actors only would be easy to market in latin america?! In australia, spain, africa or russia?!

Oh, and the american people who lives on small cities who only seen other americans and dont have contact with imigrants? Good luck selling star wars with french people and brazilian actors.

cdyhybrid

I loved it. My fiancee​ loved it. It's very very true to the anime and very well made. I really don't give a shit about the Major being white, they had to get as big a western recognized lead they could to have a chance at convincing the general pop to see it. As big fans of the anime, we thought it was fuckin great despite that reality. She's a minority and thinks the race issue is completely overblown. I would agree and see it as just the typical way people try their hardest to find any reason to hate Hollywood remakes, but I'm white so I must be racist.
Did you write this post based on our whitewashing BINGO card from Asian-GAF?

Be honest.

Z3uLOeW.png

not sure about that font

Erheller

Just because the movie hasnt been well received, it doenst mean that its scarlet faults.

Do you really thinks that a movie with asian actors only would be easy to market in latin america?! In australia, spain, africa or russia?!

Oh, and the american people who lives on small cities who only seen other americans and dont have contact with imigrants? Good luck selling star wars with french people and brazilian actors.

Um

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rogue_One

Mexican, Arab-English, Chinese x2

ajjow

I'm not engaging with anyone who calls Jeff Gerstmann a fanboy and terrible journalist for not loving Zelda.

Yeah, you're a super awesome child with a super awesome opinion on an internet forum for videogames. When you have a proper business and money from other people which you are responsible, give me your super important opinion.

I'm never going to give up on my complaints about the lack of diversity in Hollywood. Especially when the opportunity was this ripe.

Yeah, you're a super awesome child with a super awesome opinion on an internet forum for videogames. When you have a proper business and money from other people which you are responsible, give me your super important opinion.

This is like the most childish post I have ever seen on Gaf.

Haly

w03sSBO.gif

My opinions are all over this thread. Take a read. I'm not gonna re summarize all my thoughts on someone who clearly isn't interested in social issues just because "there's worse things going on in the world."

Ghazi

If this had been a white character recast with an Asian actress, the studio would've been lauded for minority representation and encouraging diversity. However, when it's the other way around it's seen as problematic?

And before people pile on me, I would've preferred an Asian actress but Scarlet was completely fine in my opinion.

Haly

If this had been a white character recast with an Asian actress, the studio would've been lauded for minority representation and encouraging diversity. However, when it's the other way around it's seen as problematic?

Yes. Because one gives an underrepresented minority their due while the reverse is just maintaining the status quo (of racism and prejudice).

See: Idris Elba as Heimdall

LotusHD

Banned

And before people pile on me, I would've preferred an Asian actress but Scarlet was completely fine in my opinion.

Why would it not be problematic?

I can tell you don't understand the issue at all. One is a case of removing potential roles from constantly underrepresented and historical panned groups, the other is attempting to challenge the status quo, and actually allowing minorities to play characters that aren't written specifically for x minority group

what is this post? Did you post without even bothering to read anything?

Specifically, GITS had a japanese female as its lead. And the celluloid ending didn't help.

What a weird point to make. Care to source this?

Why can't white people say nigga?

We have plenty of instances where a movie has bombed despite white star power yet we've never had a single one bomb with an Asian American lead due to its nonexistence.... yet the latter is always accepted as gospel and not given the chance to prove otherwise while the former gets a pass every single time..

Erheller

Felicity jones is a white american/britsh. Its her movie. And diego is pretty Famous! As the rest of the cast.

If you wanna compare not main role, ok. Ghost in the shell has a super bad ass japanese kind of guy as chief.

I have no idea what this is supposed to refute. You weren't talking about the main character - you were talking about the entire main cast (also I have no idea why you're mentioning why they're famous or not, it's like you're just posting talking points that you're suddenly remembering).

You were saying that having casts that had diversity in them would be difficult to market to small-town Americans. Rogue One didn't use French people or Brazilian actors. But it was marketed as an ensemble cast made of a white woman, a Mexican, an Arab-English, and two Chinese. They had an easy enough time selling it to those Americans who you deride as having only seen other Americans. It only had the highest gross of any movie last year, after all.

And besides, your original point is a strawman: no one in this thread wants the movie to be exclusively Asian. Seriously, point me to someone who said that.

Haly

We have plenty of instances where a movie has bombed despite white star power yet we've never had a single one bomb with an Asian American lead due to its nonexistence.... yet the latter is always accepted as gospel and not given the chance to prove otherwise while the former gets a pass every single time..

Conveniently, whenever "star power" bombs, it's never "star power" fault.

But we know Asian American lead would never work because where's the "star power"????

televator

You don't see how its a problem to take away an opportunity for a non white person to have her time to shine in an industry where white people are considered the standard for heroic roles?

Take a few steps back and see the forrest rather than this tree.

Im from Brazil. Im from a conuntry where capcom puts a monster as blanka as representative of my country.

And i dont feel offended by that. Thats just a stupid game. Its not the president of usa trying to buid a wall. Completely diferent situations with diferents aproacs.
And so decreed ajjow, king of all minorities. No minorities shall ask for proper representations in media ever again.

mantidor

Well geisha's are like historically iconic in Japan. GitS is a cartoon. I don't think most people would take issue with a Korean actor leading. Of course Japanese is preferred though.

It is, again, pretty funny because the controversy (besides the original controversy of the book itself) came more from the Chinese side, and how dared Zhang Ziyi and Michelle Yeoh act as Japanese in a WWII setting, Japanese people again didn't care that much, Zhang Ziyi was a huge star at the time, bigger than many Japanese actresses, and also very famous in Japan itself. The movie bombed anyway, even when it was actually recieved well in Japan.

Japanese people seem to not care that much, or at the very least they do not show it, which is a very Japanese thing to do. The controversy is always from outside, which is problematic, or would be, if they actually cared, they really don't, people want to be offended for another group of people pretty much just because.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I really liked this movie.

Unfortunately the worst part of it is the "whitewashing excuse" subplot.

It's like they tried to cover up their biggest flaw IRL with the biggest flaw in the plot.

televator

I really liked this movie.

Unfortunately the worst part of it is the "whitewashing excuse" subplot.

It's like they tried to cover up their biggest flaw IRL with the biggest flaw in the plot.

It seems like its in the same space as "she breathes through her skin" as far as status quo apologetics.

"She's Japanese in her shell."

wandering

Banned
Japanese people seem to not care that much, or at the very least they do not show it, which is a very Japanese thing to do. The controversy is always from outside, which is problematic, or would be, if they actually cared, they really don't, people want to be offended for another group of people pretty much just because.

Feel free to disagree about the merits or demerits of the casting in this particular film, but don't act like people aren't making legitimate points about Hollywood's treatment of Asian actors.

If you think that GITS isn't the right kind of avenue for that criticism, that's understandable. But dismissing all criticism as people being offended "just because" is really myopic.

Why would Japanese people living in Japan care about Asian representation? They live in a country where it is 99% Japanese and the remainder is partly Chinese and Korean. They live in a country where they can turn on the TV at any time on any channel and see a Japanese people on their shows, their movies, their news, their music, everything.

Japanese citizens don't understand the frustration of an Asian American living in America growing up with white dominated media.

I'm not going to shut up about it so... Despite how desperately people want to decry it, people and businesses create an issue out of diversity where there doesn't need to be one. Hollywood needs to try harder and brushing off the issue with the racial ambiguity of a character named Makoto Kusanagi is letting them off the hook. Particularly when the very movie in question clumsily does make the Major's ethnicity a major plot factor. All this clumsiness and hoop jumping can be solved if minority actors were given a chance to shine.

It is, again, pretty funny because the controversy (besides the original controversy of the book itself) came more from the Chinese side, and how dared Zhang Ziyi and Michelle Yeoh act as Japanese in a WWII setting, Japanese people again didn't care that much, Zhang Ziyi was a huge star at the time, bigger than many Japanese actresses, and also very famous in Japan itself. The movie bombed anyway, even when it was actually recieved well in Japan.

Native Asian people generally don't make noise about this or make noise about much of anything. It's part of our culture, part of how those of us who were born and raised in the East are taught. Keep your head down, try not to offend people and just worry about yourself.

That doesn't mean nobody cares. As you can see the majority of the criticism comes from Asian-Americans because once we come to the west and grow up here we naturally assimilate and are influenced by the culture here, which says that it's not only OK to speak your mind, but an admired quality.

There's a reason why when you often ask Asians what their impression of Americans is one of the first things they're likely to say is that they're "loud".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom