• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost in the Shell's ending spurs new accusations of even worse whitewashing

Status
Not open for further replies.
i mean, business wise, why not put MORE asian american actors in projects inspired by asian original titles

MAYBE ONES OF CHINESE DESCENT IF THEY WANTS SOME OF THAT CHINA MONI (this part is just to address the weird argument that a specific thing makes sense because of ~*~business reasons~*~........................... but here are a million caveats why it wouldnt make business sense when it favours minority concerns)

i mean since they put white woman as major anyway

like why not put asian american woman as the other woman in the squad

like why

like i dont gets these snubbing of asian american talents

asians in america have a very understandable outcry about being practically deleted or relegated to lesser roles because asian-americans come from various asian roots like china/japan/korea/india/thai/etc but they are basically americans. and yet they dont get legitimate representations in mainstream media produced in their own country.

I think a big factor is Asian Americans overal ivisibility in American media, lack of any Asian American stars in general, and lack of any influence or impact on American pop culture.

I think a big factor is Asian Americans overal ivisibility in American media, lack of any Asian American stars in general, and lack of any influence or impact on American pop culture.

but... but how to combat invisibility if asian americans are continuously be relegated into invisible roles

and when rare opportunities pops up from adaptations of asian original titles.... still they remain invisible

you cant just suddenly be visible if you are made invisible allllll the time.

but... but how to combat invisibility if asian americans are continuously be relegated into invisible roles

and when rare opportunities pops up from adaptations of asian original titles.... still they remain invisible

TELL IT!

I'm not talking about just Movies. Hollywood gives opportunities to American stars of other mediums such as comedians, athletes, musicians, TV actors and personalities, Musical Theater and Theater actors, etc... There's a reason everybody from Pauly Shore to Shaq have been leads in Ameerican films.

4Tran

On the face of it, the original casting of Johansson as the Major can be somewhat justified. The only way that Ghost in the Shell got a greenlight to begin with was if it was attached with a major star, and there aren't too many actresses that are considered to have her level of star power. That may seem farcical in the face of how badly the film did anyways, but that's the kind of risk these kinds of projects are thought to carry.

However, what the filmmakers did to try to squeeze in the Major's Japanese heritage anyways is pretty ugly. I can see how they thought they were being very clever, but they should have stepped back and realized how horrible it was.

I could be wrong, but my understanding is that people in china would see a japanese actress as being just as foreign as a white actress.
In the sense that Chinese and Japanese actors (and people in general) don't want to be lumped into the generic "Asian" category, yes. Each country in East Asia is quite distinct from one another, and they're sort of proud of these differences. It's not like in North America where a standard "Asian" tag is more acceptable.

However, I don't think that being of any one nationality would cause much problems in a different country. Films like Pacific Rim would do fine in China even though it starred a Japanese actress, for example. And you'll see Korean and Japanese actors in Chinese films and TV shows all the time.

Platy

My favorite thing about "it needed to be a famous artist" is .... Why the actress ?

Like you could have hired a famous director and made like those "Tarantino's presents" movies.

But no, they went from a dude who got from a short movie to Snow White and the Huntsman .... because of course the first hollywood stuff a white dude can do has a 170 million budget.

Av2kPAk.png

Like the dude did some short movies, Snow White, another short and got GoitS !

But no, you can't hire an japanese actress so that she became the next scarlet johanson

My favorite thing about "it needed to be a famous artist" is .... Why the actress ?

Like you could have hired a famous director and made like those "Tarantino's presents" movies.

But no, they went from a dude who got from a short movie to Snow White and the Huntsman .... because of course the first hollywood stuff a white dude can do has a 170 million budget.

Av2kPAk.png

But no, you can't hire an japanese actress so that she became the next scarlet johanson

Hollywood is not setup to cast Asians as leads in their big budget films.

manfestival

I feel like many of the claims made by people about this movie are reaching. There are a few posts that pretty much show that and if anything, it was all in the realm of believability given the circumstances. Do wish there was more substance to the movie though.

4Tran

Av2kPAk.png

The {ugly} reason is that it has everything to do with Hollywood financing. A project like Ghost in the Shell is considered risky, and so it'll only get funding if there's a big name attached to it, and it might not have been made at all if a lesser actress was given the lead. In this kind of scenario, the director is often just an afterthought, so they'll give a chance to relative no-names.

The other reason these kinds of films get made is if someone with real power makes it into a passion project, and that's how something like Battle Angel is getting made. Cameron has the influence to make just about anything, but it's probably pretty rare for the $100+M films to get made like this.

The Martian had a minor role of an asian woman engineer being played by white woman instead. She had like 12 lines for the entire movie.

BUT NO

NO ASIAN REPRESENTATIONS FOR YOUUUUUUU

The Martian had a minor role of an asian woman engineer being played by white woman instead. She had like 12 lines for the entire movie.

BUT NO

NO ASIAN REPRESENTATIONS FOR YOUUUUUUU

That probably isn't the best movie to bring up about Asian representation considering how the movie plays out

Also the author said he didn't give a shit

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
That probably isn't the best movie to bring up about Asian representation considering how the movie plays out

The Martian's cast is really diverse all around, do all of those actors play the same race that the characters are in the book?

oh im just replying to the post above me. sorry, was lazy to quote :<

just saying even where the cases of no big names are required, asians keep getting sidelined.

The Martian's cast is really diverse all around, do all of those actors play the same race that the characters are in the book?
Mindy Park was portrayed by a white woman in the movie. Venkat Kapoor who was a Hindu got turned into Vincent Kapoor who had a Hindu father.

wandering

Banned

IIRC Chiwetel Ejiofor's character was originally Indian but they tried to address that with the "my father was a Hindu, my mother was a Baptist" line.

And Mackenzie Davis' character was Korean.

Meh.

Jhene Aiko and Bruno Mars are pretty big names. Tokimonsta too.

Really? Are you really going to claim them? LOL My maternal grandmother is Japanese. Are you going to claim me too? LOL

Never heard of Tokimonsta.

The fact you're using people with part Asian ancestry, not even half Asian ancestry kinda proves my point, and musically they're completely steeped within African American culture.

Nah they fiddled with two side characters but IIRC the roles that Asian actors have in the film are relatively important even if they aren't leads

oh im just replying to the post above me. sorry, was lazy to quote :<

just saying even where the cases of no big names are required, asians keep getting sidelined.

Mackenzie, eh whatever, but Ejiofor is so good in his roles that sure, let him cook

Also Bruno Mars is Hawaiian, he's mine, and I gotta hit him in the back with a chair to stop his rampage

Really? Are you really going to claim them? LOL My maternal grandmother is Japanese. Are you going to claim me too? LOL

Never heard of Tokimonsta.

The fact you're using people with part Asian ancestry, not even half Asian ancestry kinda proves my point, and musically they're completely steeped within African American culture.
Why does it matter so much to you that they're biracial? Bruno Mars and Jhene are straight up half Asian, Bruno himself looks Pinoy as fuck to me so I don't understand why someone has to be full Asian to be considered... Asian.

Toki is making a name for herself... she produced for Anderson Paak.

And who cares if they make RnB music? A lot of artists, even in Asia itself, produces music that came from the West. It's unavoidable at this point.

Another example would probably be... Enrique Iglesias too, whose mother is a Filipino woman. I remember Bailando making waves here but its probably because of the high Latinx population in my city

Nah they fiddled with two side characters but IIRC the roles that Asian actors have in the film are relatively important even if they aren't leads

Mackenzie, eh whatever, but Ejiofor is so good in his roles that sure, let him cook

Also Bruno Mars is Hawaiian, he's mine, and I gotta hit him in the back with a chair to stop his rampage

okay................?

but asians still not getting roles. tho.

i donno where you were going anymore atm. sorry. again, just reiterating: my point is simply even if the roles are not requiring big name actors, they aren't given to asian american talents.

and im not claiming any celebs are mine..........................................

okay................?

but asians still not getting roles. tho.

i donno where you were going anymore atm. sorry. again, just reiterating: my point is simply even if the roles are not requiring big name actors, they aren't given to asian american talents.

and im not claiming any celebs are mine..........................................
I know, it's dumb as hell. It's not right at all that Asian people consistently get sidestepped for big roles in Hollywood films when there have been successful Asian people in all forms of media in the USA. I don't even know what it takes anymore

Why does it matter so much to you that they're biracial? Bruno Mars and Jhene are straight up half Pinoy, they look Pinoy as fuck to me so I don't understand why someone has to be full Asian to be considered... Asian.

Toki is making a name for herself... she produced for Anderson Paak.

And who cares if they make RnB music? A lot of artists, even in Asia itself, produces music that came from the West. It's unavoidable at this point

Jhene Aiko is one third Black/White/Asian. In America she'd be considered Black hence why she probably gravitated to Black culture. Bruno Mars is of Puerto Rican, Ashkenazi Jewish, Filipino, and Spanish ancestry. He's as racially ambigious as you can get, yet his music of choice, fashon, style, and dance is rooted heavily in Black culture.

It's just funny to me the anti Blackness that runs rampant in various cultures but the love for that Black culture.

Jhene Aiko is one third Black/White/Asian. In America she'd be considered Black hence why she probably gravitated to Black culture. Bruno Mars is of Puerto Rican, Ashkenazi Jewish, Filipino, and Spanish ancestry. He's as racially ambigious as you can get, yet his music of choice, fashon, style, and dance is rooted heavily in Black culture.

It's just funny to me the anti Blackness that runs rampant in various cultures but the love for that Black culture.
Asian Americans, like Latinx Americans, have the tendency to gravitate towards Black culture because Black people are the most visible PoC group in America. Since Black people are the most visible PoC group, they're given a platform to export their culture through the US', granting them an audience abroad. This is why you see a lot of Latinx rap and a lot of native Asians with rap infused songs. Asian Americans and Latinx Americans that enjoy Black culture doesn't make them any less of their cultural heritage. If you want an example for this, MIA, an Asian musician, borrows heavily from Black culture. It doesn't make her any less Sri Lankan.

It doesn't matter what Jhene is "considered" in America though. Americans have the tendency to paint in shades of White, Black, and Brown. It's not right at all, you can't just erase her heritage just because she "looks" Black in America. And Bruno Mars is, without a doubt, Pinoy as fuck. A lot of Filipinos have Spanish ancestry from the get-go considering... the Spanish occupation in history. You just think he looks ambiguous because there's really no frame of reference for what a Filipino person "should look like" in America where the default "Asian look" is connoted with Eastern Asian features.

A lot of my biracial friends always tell me about their struggles of not really being accepted by either of their racial groups because they're mixed. It ain't right to just cut that part of them out just because of what society perceives them to be.

Asian Americans, like Latinx Americans, have the tendency to gravitate towards Black culture because Black people are the most visible PoC group in America. Since Black people are the most visible PoC group, they're given a platform to export their culture through the US', granting them an audience abroad. This is why you see a lot of Latinx rap and a lot of native Asians with rap infused songs. Asian Americans and Latinx Americans that enjoy Black culture doesn't make them any less of their cultural heritage. If you want an example for this, MIA, an Asian musician, borrows heavily from Black culture. It doesn't make her any less Sri Lankan.

It doesn't matter what Jhene is "considered" in America though. Americans have the tendency to paint in shades of White, Black, and Brown. It's not right at all, you can't just erase her heritage just because she "looks" Black in America. And Bruno Mars is, without a doubt, Pinoy as fuck. A lot of Filipinos have Spanish ancestry from the get-go considering... the Spanish occupation in history. You just think he looks ambiguous because there's really no frame of reference for what a Filipino person "should look like" in America where the default "Asian look" is connoted with Eastern Asian features.

A lot of my biracial friends always tell me about their struggles of not really being accepted by either of their racial groups because they're mixed. It ain't right to just cut that part of them out just because of what society perceives them to be.

There are plenty of Blasians in the Black community. My Mom is one, one of my best friends is half Black, half Filipino. They would acknowledge their ancestry but they would still consider themselves Black because that's how everybody else views them and how America has labeled them for centuries. My Japanese grandmother was disowned by her Japanese parents for marrying a Black man. It's just hilarious to me how this is relatively a new phenomenon of other groups claiming them once they become big despite the prevalence of Anti Blackness sentiment in non Black cultures.

What's the point of heritage if their heritage only reflects the Black part?

How does Bruno Mars infuse pinoy heritage in his music or dances? Why is he backed by all Black members?

Prototype

Just got back from seeing it. The movie was great. Calling it white washing is just feeding into the extreme left and their need to control what people say, think, and do.
I liked the "twist" (if you can call it that) and it further reinforces some of the concepts the movie puts forward, about ideas of identity and the self - it doesn't matter what body you are in or what you look like, or even if you're organic or cybernetically enchanted- the self is separate. It has its own identity.

People just want to virtue signal and feel like they are better than others, so they'll scream the loudest from the comfort of their own home about white washing and whatever, but won't actually get up and do a fucking thing about actually changing the world.

Complaining about a movie being whitewashed is the most limp effort a person can make about a work of art - because regardless of what your stance is on this and similar issues, a creative endeavor can never be held hostage to preconceived ideas, regardless of if the intention is good or not, because it just censores the creative and imaginative processes.

And what's funny, is that it really is a very small minority who are doing the yelling and screaming every time absolutely anything makes them angry.
But the good news is, is that people are beginning to understand it's just noise online, and doesn't actually mean much.
So keep yelling and screaming, you will trap yourself into smaller and smaller groups until an echo chamber is all you have left. It's inevitable when the slightest provocation escalates instantly to calling people or things racist or prejudice or whatever the term of the is within the outrage culture. Sooner or later you'll just be talking to yourself, as there's nearly nothing that doesn't "offend" someone somewhere. You can have a belief system that requires you to die on every hill, all it does is create backlash and gets someone like Trump elected. Great job. Because I'm a very real sense, Trump is president because of the way the extreme left has been acting.
You all got what you deserved. Now hopefully, people can strart to move on and understand that not everything is a cause that needs to be championed. Not every joke is a opportunity to crucify someone. And just because someone is saying something you don't like it doesn't mean you try to silence them.

Just got back from seeing it. The movie was great. Calling it white washing is just feeding into the extreme left and their need to control what people say, think, and do.
I liked the "twist" (if you can call it that) and it further reinforces some of the concepts the movie puts forward, about ideas of identity and the self - it doesn't matter what body you are in or what you look like, or even if you're organic or cybernetically enchanted- the self is separate. It has its own identity.

People just want to virtue signal and feel like they are better than others, so they'll scream the loudest from the comfort of their own home about white washing and whatever, but won't actually get up and do a fucking thing about actually changing the world.

Complaining about a movie being whitewashed is the most limp effort a person can make about a work of art - because regardless of what your stance is on this and similar issues, a creative endeavor can never be held hostage to preconceived ideas, regardless of if the intention is good or not, because it just censores the creative and imaginative processes.

And what's funny, is that it really is a very small minority who are doing the yelling and screaming every time absolutely anything makes them angry.
But the good news is, is that people are beginning to understand it's just noise online, and doesn't actually mean much.
So keep yelling and screaming, you will trap yourself into smaller and smaller groups until an echo chamber is all you have left. It's inevitable when the slightest provocation escalates instantly to calling people or things racist or prejudice or whatever the term of the is within the outrage culture. Sooner or later you'll just be talking to yourself, as there's nearly nothing that doesn't "offend" someone somewhere. You can have a belief system that requires you to die on every hill, all it does is create backlash and gets someone like Truml elected. Great job. Because I'm a very real sense, Trump is president because of the way the extreme left has been acting.
You all got what you deserved. Now hopefully, people can stray to move on and understand that not everything is a cause that needs to be championed. Not every joke is a opportunity to crucify someone. And just because someone is saying something you don't like it doesn't mean you try to silence them.

LOL This is good.

Wait, you're joking right?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I feel like there's a lot of deeper frustrations in that post, particularly with regards to what's happening over at YouTube, because the talking points are identical.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious

So keep yelling and screaming, you will trap yourself into smaller and smaller groups until an echo chamber is all you have left. It's inevitable when the slightest provocation escalates instantly to calling people or things racist or prejudice or whatever the term of the is within the outrage culture. Sooner or later you'll just be talking to yourself, as there's nearly nothing that doesn't "offend" someone somewhere. You can have a belief system that requires you to die on every hill, all it does is create backlash and gets someone like Trump elected. Great job. Because I'm a very real sense, Trump is president because of the way the extreme left has been acting.
You all got what you deserved. Now hopefully, people can strart to move on and understand that not everything is a cause that needs to be championed. Not every joke is a opportunity to crucify someone. And just because someone is saying something you don't like it doesn't mean you try to silence them.
Holy shit dude. If this is a troll, bravo. If not, get some self awareness.

Guess what, you can like this movie without wallpapering over the whole whitewashing fact as "nothing to see here".

I liked this movie. I can still recognize that there are some very iffy ethnic identity issues with the film. I can recognize both things at once. Get on my level.

Haly

I wish everyone was on your level BocoDragon. It's okay to enjoy something and also criticize its failings, especially when they're particularly egregious. A lot of GAF doesn't understand this nuance.

Prototype

I feel like there's a lot of deeper frustrations in that post, particularly with regards to what's happening over at YouTube, because the talking points are identical.
Can you link me the video you are referencing? I'd be interested in seeing it.

And yes there is frustration. I campaigned for Bernie. I despise Trump and everything he stands for, and yet the Left and also abandoned me and many people I know.
Not everything is a cause for outrage. Like what happened to Colin Moriarty for probably the tamest "joke" I've ever heard, and countless others who are getting strung up by people who believe they are trying to help, but are just joining the mob and screaming about any possible preconceived injustice they can find, to the point where it just feels like reaching and... like the boy who cried wolf.
When nearly anything a person says and does gets labeled as racist or sexist, or whatever, it starts to lose meaning. It's just an auto response from people who don't think and just (seemingly) want to join in on the frenzy either out of maliciousness or for the clicks, because humans have a strange fascination with kicking someone while their down, and people will actively attack someone without all the facts (both the left and Right do this) even Reddit has been embarrassed by this on numerous occasions.

Just seems like there's no outlet for moderates anymore.
You have to be either extreme Left and get offended by everything or be extreme Right... there's not a lot of space in between for anyone else.
That's not good for a society.

Holy shit dude. If this is a troll, bravo. If not, get some self awareness.

Guess what, you can like this movie without wallpapering over the whole whitewashing fact as "nothing to see here".

I liked this movie. I can still recognize that there are some very iffy ethnic identity issues with the film. I can recognize both things at once. Get on my level.

Nah the controversy surrounding this movie is why Trump won. The extreme left have used their extremists tactics again by critiqing the film and it's casting in the context of today's world and cultural sensebilities. Damn near extremist terrorism, if you ask me.

Einchy

Prototype, why's it such an issue for you that people of all races would want to be represented in media?

cdyhybrid

How do you feel about the Wall Street Journal?

I campaigned for Bernie.

the Left and also abandoned me and many people I know.

Just seems like there's no outlet for moderates anymore.

m8 can you at least get your story straight

Prototype

Prototype, why's it such an issue for you that people of all races would want to be represented in media?
It's not. Then go make movies. Stop seeing whitewashed movies. Support the movies with actors you want to see.
It's famine mentality that some people here have. There's enough eyeballs and time to go around, all these types of movies can exist. People need to stop being keyboard warriors and be the chnage they want to see.

Haly

I think he doesn't want you to speak negatively about the movies you dislike either.

Which leaves me wondering about this:
And just because someone is saying something you don't like it doesn't mean you try to silence them.

You're so right! Those fucking chinks are just bitching about nothing, aren't they!?

Einchy

It's not.

It very clearly is.

Also, telling people to stop talking about white washing and go become executives of billion dollar companies so they have a say in who gets casts is kind of silly, don't you think?

Keyboard warriors can get a lot done in this day and age. Do you think Oscars so White would've accomplished what it set out to do with "keyboard warriors"? You say that like it's an insult but it really isn't, the power of social media can change a lot now. If you want things to change, like white washing, you can help a lot of putting out that discussion into the world.

It's not. Then go make movies. Stop seeing whitewashed movies. Support the movies with actors you want to see.
It's famine mentality that some people here have. There's enough eyeballs and time to go around, all these types of movies can exist. People need to stop being keyboard warriors and be the chnage they want to see.

But Ghost in the Shell bombed in America.

Then again it probably was caused by a suicide bomber from the extreme left.

Nanashrew

Banned

How when Hollywood is keeping them out of the spotlight? People have been fighting against whitewashing for decades now.

EDIT: Okay, well now I'm talking to a ghost...

televator

One does not simply "make a hollywood movie", Prototype. People with lots of money decide what gets made and how it gets made. I don't think there's a shortage of willing minority participants in the wood work, but I think it speaks more about the biases and prejudices that bank rollers/producers in general hold.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
How long before Prototype goes somewhere complaining about the left and subsequently aligns himself with the alt-right?
Prototype booked on Dave Rubin's show in 3, 2, 1....

God I'm tired of this half-brained "lol social justice caused Trump! freedom of ideas!!" drivel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom