• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paramount Says ‘Ghost In The Shell’ Flopped Because Of Whitewashing Controversy

Status
Not open for further replies.

UCBooties

hopefully lessons have been learned.

Read it again, they're not learning the right lessons fro this.

Dude just basically said you can't have an Asian lead in a movie for mass audiences. The lesson they will take from this is don't adapt Japanese properties, not don't whitewash.

El Topo

Rinko: She's not considered a super good actress but she's always namedropped in these discussions because people know her from PacRim.

I mean, I thought she was bad in (the unbelievably bad) Pacific Rim, but so was Charlie Hunnam and his career is still buzzing.

Zoe

Rinko: She's not considered a super good actress but she's always namedropped in these discussions because people know her from PacRim. This is ironic because it just highlights the invisibility of Asian American actors that people can only name one Japanese American actress off hand.

She's not even American...

Is this the movie every white person complained about white washing while actual Japanese people in Japan didn't give a shit about who the lead was?

Z3uLOeW.png

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Rinko: She's not considered a super good actress but she's always namedropped in these discussions because people know her from PacRim. This is ironic because it just highlights the invisibility of Asian American actors that people can only name one Japanese American actress off hand.

Lore: "You can't whitewash robots" or "it's explained in the story why she has to be a Japanese women inside ScarJo". The latter is basically the "1000 year old Dragon loli" of casting arguments. The former is a case of "you're missing the point"

Ah, gotcha, thanks.

Another example of the lore argument is Quiet in MGS5: "Dude, she has to be almost naked all the time or she'll die!" Lol.

firelogic

The general public wasn't aware of any controversy and they ran the numbers and found no more and no less Asians went to see Ghost in the Shell vs other recent movies like XXX. The average score given by Asians wasn't any higher or lower either. Same goes for all the other ethnic groups. It tanked because it's a bad movie. And while a bad Tomato meter may impact the box office slightly, people will go to watch what they want to watch. Tons of examples of poorly rated movies that make big money.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Ah, gotcha, thanks.

Another example of the lore argument is Quiet in MGS5: "Dude, she has to be almost naked all the time or she'll die!" Lol.
Yessss, the "words and deeds" argument. Producer Steven Paul was so deluded as to have made this exact defense.
I think everybody is going to end up being really happy with it.

Is this the movie every white person complained about white washing while actual Japanese people in Japan didn't give a shit about who the lead was?

I'm mostly white, and I've complained about the casting. I watch a lot of movies, and even my skinny craven white ass can easily observe that actors like Scarlett Johansson, Emma Stone, and Tilda Swinton wouldn't show up in non-ironic blackface, because that would be career suicide, but they will grab any Asian part that is on the table and people will handwave it away as savvy business. It's bullshit. There are so few big-name Asian film actors, and the few who make it have to first prove that they can break a board with their forehead. Fuck this movie. I'll watch it on cable 2 years from now, same as Doctor Strange and Aloha. I did rent Gods of Egypt from the Redbox, and I'm sorry for that.

Also, props to Rogue One for having a female protagonist and a diverse cast and being a good movie and making gobs of money. Also also Fate of the Furious and Black Panther day one.

Yup. There are only two types of people in the entire world. White people, and "actual" Japanese people in Japan. You figured it out champ.

Asians are the invisible Americans. Us Asian Americans simply don't exist. I wonder why people don't think we exist? It's almost like we're an underrepresented minority.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
So is Scarlett actual character supposed to be Japanese in the movie?
I thought she was just playing a White Major and that was the problem.

Zoe

I believe THR article/video that thread references interviewed 4 Japanese-American actresses - women who were born in USA and are working in America - not actresses who were born and work in Japan.
At least one of them immigrated. She talked about working hard to lose her accent only to be told by the casting people she needed a stronger accent.

kmax

Let's just say that they took the worst route imaginable.

It really is beyond comprehension that they did what they did.

suzu

Wow a "stay woke" card for people to easily throw up to block any conversation. That's great.

People come into a convo like they have a fresh hot take, and it's literally the same dumb hand-waving drivel we've all heard before in every whitewashing thread.

Read it again, they're not learning the right lessons fro this.

Dude just basically said you can't have an Asian lead in a movie for mass audiences. The lesson they will take from this is don't adapt Japanese properties, not don't whitewash.

I am OK with this, no proper amount of right casting is going to make these adaptations good, they just don't translate well to real action.

Litan

I am OK with this, no proper amount of right casting is going to make these adaptations good, they just don't translate well to real action.
Edge of Tomorow would like a word with you.
GitS could easily have been a good movie with the right team behind it.
The reason it ended up the way it did has nothing to do with 'Anime not translating well to live action.'

SPOILERS:
Her actual character was Japanese when she was human and they put her brain in a white robot body.

Edge of Tomorow would like a word with you.
GitS could easily have been a good movie with the right team behind it.
The reason it ended up the way it did has nothing to do with 'Anime not translating well to live action.'

Truth. Anime isn't any more untranslatable than comic books are. Someone could totally make an amazing live action GitS movie that respects the anime movie. That doesn't mean it would be successful commercially, but there's no reason it couldn't be critically.

Harp

Lol, Hollywood continues blaming everyone but themselves. Hell do they even make movies where the white hero doesn't save everyone. Even in Hidden figures that created a fake white male to save those poor genius black wome.

Wow a "stay woke" card for people to easily throw up to block any conversation. That's great.

We've had how many of these threads pop up over GITS this last week and in every thread, multiple people come in with the same drive by shit post that it becomes tiring reiterating the same explanation why their statement is false or ignorant.

As for my two cents, sure I wanted an Asian lead for GITS but the fault of this movie's failure was in promotion and overall quality of the product.. not lack of Asian representation outrage. The lesson here is to produce a better movie and properly promote it.

Sami+

Lol, Hollywood continues blaming everyone but themselves. Hell do they even make movies where the white hero doesn't save everyone. Even in Hidden figures that created a fake white male to save those poor genius black wome.

Wow I never thought of it like that. That guy wasn't actually based off anyone?

Wow I never thought of it like that. That guy wasn't actually based off anyone?

Pretty sure he is real but his involvement is MASSIVELY inflated for the movie. He was one of those "I'm not racist myself, just don't bring up racism" type people. And there was one scene in the movie that never happened in real life. Hollywood quite literally made it up; it's the scene where he says something to the effect of "In this building we all use the same bathroom" in some booming voice/hero moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom