• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"People in Japan worship white people." Fascinating GitS Roundtable

Status
Not open for further replies.
This awful shit was also popular in Japan, and was considered attractive and sexy 15-20 years ago.

Egg-page-view-Ganguro-Tokyo.jpg

buriteri3.jpg

Regardless, there is a long history in Japanese and other Asian cultures to prefer light colored skin, and that comes from the caste system. High class women wouldn't have tans and would have light skin.

Uh what? The entire message/point behind ganguro was going against the societal standard of beauty and how Japanese girls should look.

Sunster

quick related Q... as I was watching one-punch man on Netflix the other day, I wondered why most anime/manga's have most of their characters look "Western" instead of Asian?

short answer, because they are cartoons. The Simpsons don't look white yet we know that they are. Anime characters have stylized features yet we know they are Japanese. If you watch enough anime you'll eventually see a Western character. They are drawn very differently

Platy

That's because the audience (not just japan, everybody in the world) has been conditioned to accept that "Anime styled people = Japanese", it's accepting the convention of the medium, not because they are instantly recognizable as Asian.

Contrast an average shonen protagonist with the characters from tokyo godfathers, were the characters are very visually asian, hell here's a screenshot example:

6NxUIZK.jpg

They look nothing like the usual Anime people that we have come to accept the pact that they're "japanese".

Comparing two different styles does not work.

What work is comparing westerns and japanese people in the same style

9ImEwZ3.png

hlXNTVX.jpg

S8wnoub.jpg

or
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZMboev-Qz4

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
It's always funny as hell when Americans show up in amines since they drawn them so obviously American. All subtly is throw out the window.

It's always funny as hell when Americans show up in amines since they drawn them so obviously American. All subtly is throw out the window.

Those are obviously just uncultured white characters who meet super cultured white characters (who just coincidentally happen to live in Japan, have Japanese names, go to Japanese school, speak Japanese. Obviously they're white though because real Japanese people have slanted eyes not big ones, and don't have <green, blue, red, purple, white, pink> hair and eyes. What was that? Neither do white people? Here's a google image of a white girl with green hair, checkmate)

Sunster

Those are obviously just uncultured white characters who meet super cultured white characters (who just coincidentally happen to live in Japan, have Japanese names, go to Japanese school, speak Japanese. Obviously they're white though because real Japanese people don't have <green, blue, red, purple, white, pink> hair and eyes. What was that? Neither do white people? Here's a google image of a white girl with green hair, checkmate)

but they WORSHIPPP US!!! the girl in op said so, It's PROVEN BY SCIENCE! Even their own imagination must be in our image!!! We white people weigh so heavy on their minds and souls that they must draw us, and never themselves in their own media.
/s

but they WORSHIPPP US!!! the girl in op said so, It's PROVEN BY SCIENCE! Even their own imagination must be in our image!!! We white people weigh so heavy on their minds and souls that they must draw us, and never themselves in their own media.
/s
Careful, someone might label you a weeaboo!

Zoe

White features are definitely idolized in manga and anime. From the blond hair to the colored eyes.

Sailor Moon was originally supposed to have white hair. The artist was forced to make her blonde by the editors because they needed a color that would stand out on the magazine covers.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
It's fucking crazy how complexions have changed in Japan the last twenty years. You go back and watch live action shows from Japan 20-30 years ago and you'd think they weren't the same people today. Back then they looked closer to how Okinawans look today.

Japan and Korea have whitening creams and treatments that would put that Beyonce bleach fake commercial to shame.

Look like Okinawans?? lol

NeoGAF "Expert" Japan analysis posts are great.

Not

Banned
Fucking hell, is there not avoiding the "Anime characters look white!" bullshit anywhere?

Even LEGO minifigures had to start being flesh colored because LEGO didn't want to catch flack for making the standard neutral yellow into "caucasian"

White people see themselves in everything that doesn't have comically slanted eyes and jet black hair. And even by that metric, some drawings of Bruce Wayne look almost Han

This is such a good discussion.

So many good parts to quote.

Scarlett Johansson has noted that Ghost in the Shell represented a rare opportunity for a woman to star in a studio-backed action film. Tilda Swinton and her Doctor Strange filmmakers also have noted that gender-bending The Ancient One was a positive step for female representation. What do you make of their points?

Kato-Kiriyama: It's trying to get the conversation away from race yet again. Sure, it's a great role for women. I don't know if kick-ass white woman action stars is such a void, but even that aside, it's trying to step over the dead body. That's fine when there are empowered characters who are women, but that's not what we're talking about. We're actually talking about race. Can we just stay here for a little bit?

Okatsuka: When white feminists don't know what to say about race, they go for the feminist thing. That's what happened with the Women's March. When women of color were like, ”Will you be there, though, for the next march, when the next black kid gets shot? Will you be there when women of color need you?" they were like, ”Wasn't it great for women all around?"

Kato-Kiriyama: To the argument they were making through Doctor Strange about not wanting to create the Fu Manchu character, it's like, well, then don't.

Okatsuka: Give them words to speak that aren't stereotypical.

Kato-Kiriyama: ”If I stick an Asian there, they're gonna be too Oriental." That's how you see us. If you can't see an Asian actor as a fully dimensional human being...

God bless these women.

I haven't read through the thread yet, but I'm praying that this isn't a "shit on Asian people" thread for thinking that White is the default

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Reading the thread now but.
Kato-Kiriyama: Meanwhile, Asian Americans are asked to be super Oriental. (Laughter)
Hahaha yeah... (crying)

Had a Chinese girl in my high school class who hated white people so much you'd think she was actually black, would mumble to us about them getting on her nerves when they did something she didn't like.
I got a Filipino friend JUST LIKE THIS. No patience for white folk at all.

You always notice who's losing it in these topics when you throw anime into the mix and peeps can't help but lose themselves amidst the cultural shock.

Izuna

Banned
"Yoshihara: People in Japan worship white people."

Worship in it's original definition is too strong, but otherwise, yep

ash321

I laugh so fucking hard at this part. LOL
Okatsuka: And that experience is more generic because of it. You're supposed to connect with the fact that she hasn't seen her mom in a while. If she was a girl who grew up in Japan and ran away, first, she would feel shame, because she's Japanese. (Laughter.)

Agena: Where was the shame in this movie?! There should have been a lot more shame.

Kato-Kiriyama: No eye contact! You're just staring at your mom's toes the whole time!
So true lol. I remember doing this whenever I failed a test or something lol. The only different instead of mom it's dad lol.

PSqueak

Banned
Okatsuka: When white feminists don’t know what to say about race, they go for the feminist thing. That’s what happened with the Women’s March. When women of color were like, “Will you be there, though, for the next march, when the next black kid gets shot? Will you be there when women of color need you?” they were like, “Wasn’t it great for women all around?”

Savage. And true.

I also find it weird that despite Japan being an Asian country they still contribute a lot to the overwhelming amount of white protagonists in their video games.

Haly

okay I finished reading this thread

Basically:

GAF wasn't ready to have a conversation about GITS yet when we haven't fully moved past the anime/JRPG characters are white thing.

okay I finished reading this thread

Basically:

GAF wasn't ready to have a conversation about GITS yet when we haven't fully moved past the anime/JRPG characters are white thing.

The title of this thread also doesn't help. Like it was one line from one person and people coming in here without reading claiming its true.

Haly

The title of this thread also doesn't help. Like it was one line from one person and people coming in here without reading claiming its true.

Honestly I think this was valuable because it exposes a lot of uuhhh... arrogance/ignorance (ignarrogance?) that might've been overlooked like this:
I can't speak for the Japanese, or other races' experiences, but I usually feel that they are nice because it is easy to tell that I am a foreigner and its in their nature to be nice to guests. Few of my asian friends who have been to Japan also love their hospitality, so it can't be just be me.

I don't feel worshipped, I feel welcomed.

That's literally white privilege.

dlauv

lol, colored eyes and blonde hair aren't traits exclusive to white people.

But isn't it vastly uncommon? And isn't the act of dying hair red or bleaching hair blonde or wearing blue contacts an act of appropriating prominently white features? Not that it's a bad thing or should even matter in a fantasy universe. I just think it's a matter of "blonde hair may not have been artistically portrayed if it wasn't conceivable in the first place." That's along the lines of Plato's concepts on reality in general; but, I guess evidence would exist in older, more ancient Japanese art, where, as far as I can tell, everyone had the same color of hair.

Who is clearly not Superman.

Fun story. Remember how Dean Cain played Supes on TV? He was Japanese on his dad's side. But in the one issue of Yolk magazine I read, he considered himself white because his father abandoned his family. Now you can take that to Jeopardy.

Part of it has to be influenced by profits from cosmetic companies I feel, money runs the system, and they are just reinforcing existing bias for profit... making the problem worse. Think about this, of people are secure and happy about their natural appearance and self, then the economy would collapse. Haha

Not just in Japan, but throughout the world, where marketing is mind control.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom