• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deadly Premonition |OT| first real survival-horror for X360

There's no way this game was an accident. It's not something like "all your base are belong to us" which was kinda funny because it was a crazy bad translation. Deadly Premonition suffers from being a low budget title that's been in development for a long time and was probably originally meant to be a PS2 title so the graphics aren't cutting edge and some of the game play mechanics are a bit clunky, but it's priced accordingly.

A lot of care and heart obviously went into the creation of this game. The dialogue isn't funny or bizarre because it's badly written or translated, it's funny/bizarre because that's the way it was intended. Heck, when you first start the game you find a trading card of the main character that says he is "known for his surreal demeanor."

A game is meant to entertain and the people that made this game did a great job.

BattleMonkey said:
Is there anywhere that actually claims that they set out to make the game so bad on purpose, or is this just all assumption? For all we know, they seriously just made a shitty game thinking they were doing a good job or best they could, yet everyone is finding it so bad it's good.
No. This game knows it's low budget. It knows it's cheesy and crazy as hell. It knows it. This isn't some statistically impossible happy accident of epic proportions...it's too overt to be unintentional and that's ever more clear as you move further into the experience. The original Japanese developer who made this knew it was gonna be nuts. They were gunning for this. Perhaps it is the way it is, overall, because of the input and changes suggested/made by the localization team...but whatever the case, it works if you are receptive to its unique qualities. They may not have wanted it to be as rough around the edges as it is, but the instant transitions to a vibe of practically non sequitur and starkly comedic tones act as a blunt-force palate-cleansing effect during or right after straight-up dramatic and horror-based moments of cinematics and gameplay. There's no way these aren't intentional. It works, too. It keeps things from being so on-edge that it prevents the usual problem with 'survival horror' games from cropping up and stopping people in their tracks...that feeling of things being too one-note horror-themed for too long and, basically, oppressive to the point that it goes too far beyond the line of tolerance turning fun-scary into no-fun-scary. This game is as it was intended. And it is glorious.

zoukka

dallow_bg said:
vg1w10.jpg

Wow here you can see why IGN and all it represents needs to die. Grow up videogame journos.

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
They removed Jim's review from metacritic :lol

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
It's back up now. For some reason they removed it for a few hours. Maybe they were debating whether it was a legitimate review.

I'm strangely intrigued by this game. I could grab a copy but I'm really not sure if I want to invest the time into something that could be terrible or fantastic. Especially when I have so many "great" games in my backlog.

grim0451

Neo Member
Picked up the only copy eb had before work yesterday. Was an open copy so I guess one of the employees gave it a go. The guy at the counter didn't really say anything, not even asking if I wanted a game guarantee which was a first. I think he was in shock someone was actually buying it. I didn't get a chance to play it till today and so far haven't regretted buying it. Any game where the first bit of dialogue is out of nowhere discussion about Tom and Jerry has me intrigued.

BattleMonkey said:
Is there anywhere that actually claims that they set out to make the game so bad on purpose, or is this just all assumption? For all we know, they seriously just made a shitty game thinking they were doing a good job or best they could, yet everyone is finding it so bad it's good.

There's no way. I won't spoil anything, you have to play for yourself, here's some semi-non spoilers:

Agent Morgan has a dual personality he talks to called Zack. This is noted by the game. They talk about B movies and stuff during car rides.

In the beginning of the game Agent Morgan notes that his coffee told him that strange things would happen. When the recap the days events after the prologue, he makes a reference at the end to this that will make you laugh out loud

My favorite parts are the little things. For instance early on in the prologue you fight through 20 or so zombies, and at the end Agent Morgan notes that something is definitely strange in this town. What's funny though is the shot. In the camera shot you can see glowing red tree roots that came from the ground and covered the door. It's just hilariously well done

When you first meet the sheriff and his assistant, Agent Morgan lights up a cigarette and blows smoke in both their faces during the conversation. Another lol moment. Also Morgan says to Zack (his dual personality) how pretty the Sheriffs assistant is, and not to mention what happened or else she might think he's insane. The look on her face is priceless and they zoom in indicating that she is hearing what he is saying :lol

In the sheriffs office you have to retrieve keys for a guy who looks like a gay Bob Sagat. You retrieve 5 sets of keys before you get the right ones. It's pretty funny.

The scene with Morgan and the lady who runs the hotel you stay in.. this part just speaks for itself. Play the game.

That is 1 hour into the game.

This game reminds me of my other favorite game this gen, Dead Rising. Though Dead Rising is a AAA product and a much more amazing game, I appreciate the sense of humor and bizarreness more with DP.

The worst thing a game can be is boring and DP is anything but that.
I've had more fun watching people eat breakfast in DP than in most of the shooters that have been put out this gen.

The best part about that biscuit cutscene is that the biscuit is like the best healing item in the game(and I still haven't found one =( ). That and the way York looks at it while the Sheriff is mouthing off at him.

PepsimanVsJoe said:
The worst thing a game can be is boring and DP is anything but that.
I've had more fun watching people eat breakfast in DP than in most of the shooters that have been put out this gen.

The best part about that biscuit cutscene is that the biscuit is like the best healing item in the game(and I still haven't found one =( ). That and the way York looks at it while the Sheriff is mouthing off at him.

That's the best part for me, being in a town in the middle of nowhere with a close knit neighborhood going about it's business. When the townspeople interact it's pretty funny to watch them tell each other jokes or just go about their business, it feels like a totally different experience than other games just because youre not shooting everything in sight and just walking around town.

Anyways, I'm postponing a second play through at the moment because of the Dawn of War 2 deal. Anyone want to play some co-op? :D

Well just completed episode 2-1 and wow that was unexpected and CRAZY!

Also I got the side mission from Thomas at the bar, but this "strange" dude never comes in. Anyone figure this one out yet?

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Well just completed episode 2-1 and wow that was unexpected and CRAZY!

Also I got the side mission from Thomas at the bar, but this "strange" dude never comes in. Anyone figure this one out yet?

Go there past 22:00 and Jack should be against the wall next to his sister.

Even though I think the denouement was probably a bit too sentimental and almost saccharine given what goes before it, DP was a fantastically weird and twisted ride right up until the end. Definitely unprecedented levels of weird and twisted, AFAICT. And altogether satisfyingly entertaining. Thankfully, the game allows you to revisit the final episode (seven) to finish up card collecting, completing/retrying whatever side missions that are still logically available, and whatever else you might want to do, like talk to survivors and such. $20 well spent and one of my very favorite game experiences this gen.

The design and writing, including the cinematics, is just so insane across the board...it just can't be forgotten and my playthrough of DP is one of the very few times I've laughed multiple, multiple times at what is intentionally funny and absurd written content in a game. Only some titles from Lucasfilm/Arts, Telltale, Double Fine, have done that in the past. Others might include Earthbound, Mario and Luigi RPGs, Dead Rising, some of the Oddworld titles, Portal, Incredible Crisis, and some text adventures. Weird humor is definitely a strong suit for this title and, again, a rarity for an action game to incorporate so consistently on some level.

Any real problems I have with the game are relatively minor:

The last boss' weak point seemed to take damage amounts inconsistently and the swipe attack didn't have a clearly understandable immediate area of effect outside of the obvious visuals for the streaking bits that trailed out of it. (I pretty much relied upon the unlimited ammo, four-round clip version of the magnum for max damage per shot.)

While most of the QTEs were easy and generally fair enough, some, especially the first time you encounter them, are ridiculously tough. The 'go out' option in the very first picture-in-picture hiding sequence is a red herring. It doesn't do anything but give you a free instant death and continue. Don't go out until it is absolutely safe.

While the position of enemies is frozen during any item pickup and pause screen/inventory use, time does not stop when you fail to pick an item up (as in, your personal inventory is full or your toolbox is), allowing them to advance on you while you're waiting for the text display to finish. It also sucks that, like many other games that have you picking up all sorts of shit on the ground, edible or not, you cannot choose to instantly use an item right there on the spot. You first have to put it into your inventory and then use it. (Plenty of other games do this, too...and it's plenty stupid, too.)

There should have been an option for automatic handling of all text-display speed, like most games offer. That, or a button to simply bring each current line to the next break instantly where it waits for another action press to display the next line. It's just a little annoying to revisit the old-school 'hold this button down to speed the display of slow-ass text' all the damned time.

When items and interactive elements are in close proximity (people to talk to, doors to open, switches to throw), it's annoying to have to move around them to get the desired one to show up on-screen to interact with using the context-sensitive action buttons. (This is a problem with tons of games, though...as only a few let you target specifically using cross-hairs or generate an on-screen list to scroll and pick from if they are bunched too near each other.)

No waypoint setting in the map given how large it is and how far apart destinations can be...that or there should have been a way to generate automatic prompts for navigation. Possibly not that big a deal since it does force you to learn more about the town and surrounding areas.

All the vehicles I have tried, and I haven't tried all of them yet, have the worst possible turning radius...it's clunky as fuck parking or getting out of a parking spot or other tight areas bordered by impassable world objects. :lol

Other than that I guess my biggest complaints are that the game kinda-sorta relies a bit too much on the reuse of some sequences (though it stops just short of game-breaking tedium and predictability thanks to some mixing it up). Strafing should have been allowed to happen at the same time you're moving forward or backward instead of one or the other...forcing you to zig-zag rather inelegantly. And, probably the worst thing in the game, which may or may not be a problem if you try to fit melee weapons in an overall role for combat strategy...any enemy within a very short two- to three-foot range will not be targetable by any guns even if it looks like you're aiming straight at them. Only melee weapons can hit them when they are that close.

And a quick tip for anyone who didn't already know: running (holding the X button) into unlocked doors while you press the action button to open them initiates the rushed open animation instead of that slow-ass anim that takes five times longer.

Question: why do you have the ability to activate your turn signal in any vehicle when it clearly doesn't matter if you do or you don't? :lol

Question 2: why are some of the songs missing from the 'special menu' unlocked after completion of the game? I want to hear that weird song that runs during the whole town search following Willie in the beginning of episode four (or is it five? I forget). Also, the boss fight song in episode five was cool but doesn't seem to be anywhere in the song list.

Question 3: how do you enter/unlock the big door to the left in the 'special' menu? Is that for collecting 100% of the collectible cards? Or is it for completing the game on the highest difficulty? Where does it lead to, damn it!?

Game on normal difficulty took me just over twenty-six hours, though the total played time is almost ten more hours over that because I left the game, paused and unpaused, sitting around a lot.

I Push Fat Kids said:

"Fuck you! FUCK YOU! You pathetic loser piece of shit. You keep downplaying the year's most innovative and emotionally charged masterpiece because your ass is so far up in M$ head. You think this is funny? This is not, you loser. Sony has 2010 in its hand and it kills you to see it winning. This goes the same for your xbots. Sony is winning. Either get over it or kill yourselves!"

Mr_Guillotine said:
Go there past 22:00 and Jack should be against the wall next to his sister.

See I was in there past 22:00 and I saw no one but george, nick, diana, and thomas inside. So I was sorta like WTF.

Good write up MightyHedgehog. Did you say seven episodes? O_O I'm still on episode 2-1 and I've got 10 hours logged so far! If thats the case... damn!!!! I got alot more left to do. As for your complaints, I'd say that sounds about right from my experience. The turning radius indeed SUCKS ASS!

Also that tip for running at doors is good to point out to people. Saves some time. And a reminder for anyone else as well, when picking up items, getting into your car, or other actions that always seem to have some sort of animation for can usually be skipped by pressing start. I mostly use this for item pick up though, save so much time of stairing at a floating item on screen for a few seconds.

Rahk

Oh man, I was all ready to drop some money on this, but it's not region free.

NOOOOOOOO!

Seems like the perfect games to play with a friend. :(

Kasumi1970

my name is Ted
Crescendo170 said:
"Fuck you! FUCK YOU! You pathetic loser piece of shit. You keep downplaying the year's most innovative and emotionally charged masterpiece because your ass is so far up in M$ head. You think this is funny? This is not, you loser. Sony has 2010 in its hand and it kills you to see it winning. This goes the same for your xbots. Sony is winning. Either get over it or kill yourselves!"
Sony is not winning in 2010 :lol :lol :lol don't you mean 1999.
APOCALYPS3-AGE: DO NOT TURN ON YOUR PRE-SLIM PS3 - calendar bug messing up systems

Nasreddin

Crescendo170 said:
Epic! :lol

slasher_thrasher21 said:
And a reminder for anyone else as well, when picking up items, getting into your car, or other actions that always seem to have some sort of animation for can usually be skipped by pressing start. I mostly use this for item pick up though, save so much time of stairing at a floating item on screen for a few seconds.
Yeah, it really is highly convenient to skip a lot of the little cinematics for all of the little things.

plagiarize said:
wait... there's a milk barn in the game?

Snoqualmie, WA has a 'Milk Barn'.

that can't be a coincidence.
Looking at the photo gallery made available in the 'special' extras section unlocked upon game completion, the 'Stateside visit the team at Access made before or during development makes it clear that they lifted very generously from reference photos. The diner in whatever small WA town they visited is extremely similar to the A&G Diner in the game. Just from looking at some of the shots taken, you can see why they chose certain, rather dramatic settings based on some of the places they visited. The waterfall photo and the awesome placement of Harry Stewart's big-windowed overlook at his mansion is a perfect example of what I mean. That was one of the big location highlights in the game, from a conceptual standpoint and a visual one since it does look markedly impressive compared than most of the places in the game world. Wouldn't surprise me if they got the blessing of the owners of the real Milk Barn and used the name for the fictional version they created.

Kasumi1970 said:
Sony is not winning in 2010 :lol :lol :lol don't you mean 1999.
APOCALYPS3-AGE: DO NOT TURN ON YOUR PRE-SLIM PS3 - calendar bug messing up systems
Just so anyone don't get any wrong ideas, I was quoting the comment-section of the article. That's not my drivel.

AleeN634

Bought this game due to gaf hype and am enjoying it quite a bit. And given Destructoid's hype I can't wait to see a HAWP with this one...

Does anybody have a pic of York with a beard?

Just bought this game yesterday and its pretty brilliant. Its like Shenmue/GTA/RE4/Silent Hill/Siren and apparently Clock Tower all rolled into one. Its very strange and funny and well worth the $20. :lol at the Katamari like music in a game like this. It reminds me of those Simple Series 2000 games that were released on the PS2 last generation but with more meat.

If you enjoy budget weird games like EDF 2017 and Onecnanbarra than definitely check this out Zack.

Oh when you pick up an item you can just hit start to skip the "you picked up something!" text. This also works when your inventory is full so you're not looking at text while zombies molest your esophagus.

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Oh when you pick up an item you can just hit start to skip the "you picked up something!" text. This also works when your inventory is full so you're not looking at text while zombies molest your esophagus.

Yeah I have been preaching this since last week! Definetly a good tip all people playing should know.

Thank you guys for turning me on to Destructoid. Such an awesome gaming site. It is literally no bounds with the writing, and it is utterly hilarious. Complete and total writing freedom, the staff is so lucky. God I wish I worked for them.

Rat Salad

Banned
Crescendo170 said:

Holy shit where did this come from,wow.
Sounds like any number of people from Gaf. could have writenthis though.
:lol

And just to clarify,no Crescendo170 did originally write this quote. Simply taking a quote Posted from another site,but still sounds allot like some of the crazies on this forum none the less.

I have my copy ready to pick up. Hopefully its as good as D2 was for me,I loved that game back in the day. Now if this game has rabbit hunting for food it'll own.:b And I'm still getting an Arod vibe from the face of the main character. Maybe he likes wearing Jeter cologne also?

So I fired this game up during the torturous wait for BC2 and I think I'm in love and it hasn't been five minutes in. I absolutely lost it at the "Gives me the creeps somehow, though it might be useful for jackets and such." description of the manequin.

borsdy

Banned
Mr_Guillotine said:
If I fail putting it in the crib do I drop the baby?
You drop the thing in the crib a little fast and it starts crying again, I tried to see if I could murder the baby but no dice. I did make Ethan's son do his homework immediately after school instead of watching TV, he went to bed with an empty stomach and I slammed his bedroom door.

Top Bottom