• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deadly Premonition |OT| first real survival-horror for X360

The Interrobanger said:
I'm on Ep 2. Part 2 too and I think I've probably put around the same amount of time (maybe more) in the game already.

I have 43 trading cards, a few unlimited ammo weapons, a bunch of new cars and suits and I'm still not even halfway through the game. The sidequests are so fun and the characters in the town are so well written and hilarious that I can't help but want to see every single inch of the world.

If you want to find the time you truly have played the game for, it only shows it on one screen. The screen when you finish a chapter tell your total time. Not sure if everyone knows this or not. The time on the save file is the time you saved it last at.

Its crazy to think that there is like 50 side quests. Pretty decent ammount if you ask me.

slasher_thrasher21 said:
If you want to find the time you truly have played the game for, it only shows it on one screen. The screen when you finish a chapter tell your total time. Not sure if everyone knows this or not. The time on the save file is the time you saved it last at.

Its crazy to think that there is like 50 side quests. Pretty decent ammount if you ask me.

I was wondering why the numbers always seem to be so different even though it's always labeled as "Playing Time"

The Interrobanger said:
I was wondering why the numbers always seem to be so different even though it's always labeled as "Playing Time"

Yeah very misleading! But go figure, its deadly premonition. So unconventional! :lol

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Yeah very misleading! But go figure, its deadly premonition. So unconventional! :lol

I noticed this in a lot of other places too.

When you're already looking at a card, it says press B to "View Card". If you do so, it boots you out to the entire collection instead of giving you more details...which makes sense, but why would it be labeled "View Card"

And the prices in most shops make no sense whatsoever. Why would I pay $50 for a sandwich when I can pay $2 for something else and recover the same amount of hunger?

Does anyone know what the big/small versions of the icons on the map mean? Sometimes people and cards are twice the size as others. Is it just because they're outside of a building?

Goldrusher

I'm interested in this title, but not as an ~$80 Asian PS3 import, when the X360 game has an MSRP of only $20. :/

Would be a perfect PSN title at $19.99.

The Interrobanger said:
Does anyone know what the big/small versions of the icons on the map mean? Sometimes people and cards are twice the size as others. Is it just because they're outside of a building?

Haven't figured that one out myself either. Not sure what is it. Maybe thats its. LOL at the price differences though. Pretty silly.

Bebpo

Banned
The Interrobanger said:
It's the first level in a 30+ hour game. Of course it's boring. It picks up after the hospital IMO and doesn't stop.

I've been playing on Normal and have never died other than missing QTEs a couple times, getting raped by a gigantic mutant dog in the overworld and getting hit by a car. It's pretty easy, especially once you get the SMG.

Hmm, maybe I'll restart on normal then. I picked easy because I was worried it'd be a poorly made frustrating game, but on easy it seems too easy and boring cause the enemies just stand there and you shoot them with infinite ammo.

Bebpo said:
Hmm, maybe I'll restart on normal then. I picked easy because I was worried it'd be a poorly made frustrating game, but on easy it seems too easy and boring cause the enemies just stand there and you shoot them with infinite ammo.
The only differences on the harder difficulties is that the enemies take more hits and you take less.

Besides that pistol will become useless before long.
When you start facing more than one enemy regularly there's always going to be one or two guys approaching from other directions while you're emptying clip after clip in some other guy.

Bebpo said:

You can get the unlimited ammo SMG pretty early in the game which makes everything (at least as far as I've gotten) a cakewalk.

eXistor

Bah, I couldn't take it any longer so I pre-ordered Red Seeds Profile a few days ago. Now the wait is killing me. I'm seriously looking forward to this more than FFXIII or just about any march release.

MiniDitka said:
Soundtrack up for grabs - http://www.mediafire.com/?tmglbnzdzmt

Because some of the songs are played on a loop it was hard to find the end so I made two versions for some, an abrupt ending and fade out.

I also ripped the songs from the Deadly Premonitions website and you can get them here - http://www.mediafire.com/?nmmzyotgze4
Great job, MiniDitka. There are some awesome tracks in this game, some Badalamenti-TP-style, some completely remind me your average Japanese fighting game soundtrack, while some feel straight out of one the first Clock Tower games. That third track is the really crazy one I was looking for that shows up in the 'follow Willie' sequence...good job, man. Did you manage to rip the
red tree/boss fight
one from episode five? Not recognizing it in the folder you linked to.

MiniDitka

MightyHedgehog said:
Great job, MiniDitka. There are some awesome tracks in this game, some Badalamenti-TP-style, some completely remind me your average Japanese fighting game soundtrack, while some feel straight out of one the first Clock Tower games. That third track is the really crazy one I was looking for that shows up in the 'follow Willie' sequence...good job, man. Did you manage to rip the
red tree/boss fight
one from episode five? Not recognizing it in the folder you linked to.
I'm pretty sure I ripped all tracks from the jukebox. I'll double-check in a bit to make sure I didn't miss it.

Edit: Isn't that the
George Woodman song?

Oh whenever you buy a car that belongs to one of the NPCs the music that plays while you drive their car is different.

For example Emily's car has that same music that plays during the
follow Willie
sequence. Ushah listens to bad techno, and so on. Maybe they're not available in the sound test? Would suck majorly if true.

Still much appreciation for the rip.

EDIT: Ohhhh I see they're all available on the website rip. Awesssoommmmeee.

Got a B from 1UP: http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3178205&p=4

EDIT: and that review really sums up why I love the game so much with this paragraph:
This is what I mean when I say that Deadly Premonition has some of the best game writing I've seen. Understand that I don't mean it's full of gorgeous prose (in fact, much of the dialogue is awkward and in need of an editor), what I mean is that the game tells you its story in the interactive way that only a videogame can. Sure, you may, if you wish, simply move from checkpoint to checkpoint and get the gist of the story through cut-scenes. But actually exploring the town and acting on your instincts will flesh out Greenvale and its strange inhabitants in very rewarding ways. The game has more dialogue than you're ever likely to read -- not only does every character have something new to say during each of the game's numerous chapters, but what they have to say changes depending on where they are at the time you talk to them.
Every character is unique. Every character is hilarious or disturbing or both. The game is so immensely entertaining and engaging despite it's shabby production values.

The Interrobanger said:
The game is so immensely entertaining and engaging despite it's shabby production values.

Yet thats so much apart of the charm as well. Could it use some more polish? Sure. Though when I truly think about it. I wouldn't want to change a thing!

tagrat

Just picked up the only copy the Gamestop near my work had. Can't wait to play it once I finish the original Mass Effect = P

Linkzg said:
honestly now, should I go ahead and basically blind buy this game?

the price and the talk about it has me curious.

I blind bought the game just knowing it was a survival horror game and seeing the screen shot of York eating an arm, it is definitely worth the 20$. I loved playing through it and will do so as soon as possible, would recommend it to anyone. Though it's not for everyone either.

I need some help with a boss:

On the raincoat killer. He is on his 3rd form - how do you beat him? It keeps going to slow mo, and I've hit him 25 times for damage, and he still hasn't died yet. Is it just that long of a fight, or is there something I'm missing?

Mr Killemgood said:
I need some help with a boss:

On the raincoat killer. He is on his 3rd form - how do you beat him? It keeps going to slow mo, and I've hit him 25 times for damage, and he still hasn't died yet. Is it just that long of a fight, or is there something I'm missing?
Aim and shoot at the flying axe during the slow-motion bits.

Bebpo

Banned
This game makes me schitzo like the main character.

I love the script and the dialogue delivery.
I hate the slow pacing. It's not bad but I can't play more than 1-2 hours at a time because it makes me sleepy.
I love the sim elements of living in the town and just doing whatever I want.
I hate the dungeon sections with shitty combat, so dull
I love the driving if York is talking.
I hate the looooong drives if there is no one talking; so boring.
I love the atmosphere.
I hate the map I can't zoom out enough to see where to go when driving.

and I actually really like the graphics. I think the character models look good and the environment is fine in a PS2 way and I like PS2 graphics still.

Half the time I'm playing it I'm like GOTY OMG SO AWESOME. The other half of the time I'm really bored and waiting for the current bit to end already so I can get back to the weird guy sim. I'm only about 3 hours in, but it feels like I've played 10 over the last 3 days. I totally want to stick with this and see it through, but if I'm only 3 hours in after 3 days of playing, it's going to take me forever to finish it at this pace if it's 30+. :\

Also how do side missions work? I don't really understand. And are you actually supposed to do anything during the "profiling" video? I just hit start now and skip them after seeing them once.

Darkmakaimura said:
Yeah I saw that but it's going to take way too long to go through it.

Fat guy as main boss? What's his deal? The girl in the end also. What's her deal?

MAJOR SPOILERS DON'T BOTHER READING IF YOU HAVEN"T FINISHED THE GAME

SERIOUSLY

OK
Forrest Kaysen is the man responsible for practically all of the murders Zach has been following. Furthermore he's responsible for the death of Zach's parents and is the reason why Zach develops the personality known as York. Forrest might also be an alien from an alternate dimension. This is touched on a bit when York mentions that one of the people he arrested for murders outside of Greenvale said an "alien" told him to do it. Kaysen convinced people to murder by making them believe they could achieve immortality. A lot of this is probably due to the red seeds he is always carrying around, as they have some otherworldly property. Most of the time however it just leads to becoming psychotic w/ some element of mind control, and eventually death. Kaysen is likely a scientist as well since most of the time he seems to be conducting experiments. He releases a gas into Greenvale some 50 years ago that causes the entire town to riot...which is most likely linked to the red seeds as well. One of the civilians in particular was wearing a raincoat that was probably made red from all of the bloodshed. It's unknown exactly who this original raincoat killer was unless I missed something.

Emily Wyatt is the sheriff deputy that assists Zach throughout the entire game(even rescuing him at one point). At one time she and Zach trusted Kaysen and believed all of his lies. When Emily is forcefed a ton of red seeds Zach instructs Kaysen to take her to the hospital to get her stomach/liver flushed out. Instead Kaysen takes her to the town hall to nurture the seeds inside her which causes that tree to grow.

The entire scenario is similar to what happened when Zach was a child. His dad couldn't bring himself to shoot his mother as she had the tree growing out of her and thus was too far gone. As a bonus Zach's mother looks a lot like Emily, which probably helped trigger Zach's real personality. York is mostly just a front because Zach had shut himself in due to all of the trauma. Kaysen is also the man who gave Zach that scar.

It's a bit of a hackjob...my apologies.

Bebpo

Banned
Just beat the lumbermill stage. Man, by the end of that my arm was sore from all the L-R waggling.

Not being able to set waypoints on the map makes this game really hardcore. I had to map my way back to town and then make my own directions for which streets to take from town to get back to my hotel.

Also I did that race at the lumber mill and won and then a green card and an orange arrow appeared inside a fully chained fence that I couldn't figure out any way to get into. Any help?

How do you get more ammo for your SMG? Is there a place where you can buy ammo in town?

Bebpo said:
Just beat the lumbermill stage. Man, by the end of that my arm was sore from all the L-R waggling.

Not being able to set waypoints on the map makes this game really hardcore. I had to map my way back to town and then make my own directions for which streets to take from town to get back to my hotel.

Also I did that race at the lumber mill and won and then a green card and an orange arrow appeared inside a fully chained fence that I couldn't figure out any way to get into. Any help?

How do you get more ammo for your SMG? Is there a place where you can buy ammo in town?

I'm currently at the lumbermill - it's a fucking wild place. Frightening in fact! I've been busy but plan to get back to it this week. This game is proper.

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
haha I'm in the lumbermill too. 3 hours in and this game is even better than I thought it'd be. I expected parts of it to be terrible, but even the gameplay isn't bad.

York is one of the more fascinating main characters I've played in a while.

Bebpo said:
If you won the race near there, the fence should be newly opened up to get to the card. Just follow the fence boundary around until you find the opening. If you haven't figured it out yet, most wooden gate barriers are breakable so you can just drive, shoot, or whack through them.

The Panda Bear gun shop is open inside of the main town at something like 20:00 or 22:00 to 6:00...ten or so at night to six in the morning. After meeting the guy there once, you'll be able to access the store any time remotely from any toolbox in the world you encounter.

SHOTEH FOCK OP said:
Someone please tell me where to get this unlimited ammo SMG.
It's the reward found at the end of the first side mission available from the Milk Barn clerk, Keith. Subsequent missions taken and completed from the 'spirit maps' sold there will award more unlimited ammo versions of weapons...you can do one per day, AFAICT.

It's been said before, but try to meet everyone in town as soon as possible before entering the second episode, when the game really opens up. That way, you can take all the side missions as soon as they are available...and before some disappear forever as there are some missions that cannot be taken once certain things happen in the main story and campaign.

Once you meet everyone and get the first side mission they might offer, if you look on your map, their position on it will have a little laptop icon representing an available mission to take. It helps to know when everyone is available to talk to, like when they work and/or the store hours of the place they work at. Real time passes, so one minute = one minute real time. Pass time with cigarettes or sleep or by doing other stuff as you can also blow off the main quest most of the time by waiting until the next day to meet whoever wherever you're needed inside of the time range given.

Rat Salad

Banned
I've played about 60 minutes of the game so far. Very bizarre game but fun so far. If this area is the boring part then well...its been fun to me so far so I guess thats a plus.

Who has beaten the game though? Is it worth bumping up the game to the hard setting? Or are there areas later in the game that make you wish you hadn't done so? It seems there is abit too much health being thrown at me as I explore,is this game gonna continue to be like this? It sorta takes away that tension factor knowing I have allot of health constantly in the game. If playing on hard decreases this then that'd be even better,or are the enemies just bullet sponges only. if played on hard? Don't get me wrong,I do like the game,its "ugly art"(ok not ugly) but its use of dull color color makes it feel moody or depressing/dreary,a great tension feel all around. Plus all the characters are strange. :lol

Honestly, I think the normal difficulty was about right as it did ramp up toward the end of the second episode. I died twice normally during one of the Milk Barn spirit map missions and other four or five times was because of failing a QTE/special sequence. I suppose the hard difficulty could be more interesting, though I doubt it would enhance the experience much if at all considering how much repetition of action cycles there is. My value with this game is all tied up in the progression of the story and completing all of its optional stuff and learning more about the town, the history, and its citizens. The gameplay action sequences were really at the bottom of my list of things to focus my interest on, personally. Not saying they aren't interesting and intense enough on their own, but they're only just good enough to pull their weight in the grand scheme of things, IMO. And normal difficulty seemed about right.

I actually wanted this game before it was released/received all the lol-praise :lol I just decided against it for Resonance of Fate; but after I buy that and something else, I may just finally get this :D

C-Jo

I just started last night and ended up playing for an hour or so. After finding F K in the coffee, listening to a 5 minute monologue about Tremors, and getting lectured on not being up on my squirrel species knowledge, I decided to sleep for 12 hours in a jail cell.

I think I love this game but I could be crazy.

Bebpo

Banned
MightyHedgehog said:
If you won the race near there, the fence should be newly opened up to get to the card. Just follow the fence boundary around until you find the opening. If you haven't figured it out yet, most wooden gate barriers are breakable so you can just drive, shoot, or whack through them.

Yeah, I circled around it but couldn't find anyway in...strange. Not going to drive all the way back there anytime soon though :p Was it just a trading card that I missed? Or are the rewards substantial?

Top Bottom