• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deadly Premonition |OT| first real survival-horror for X360

Oyashiro

Well, after seeing all the GAF praise for this game, I'm ready to buy it. However, I called 2 GameStops near-by and they don't have it in stock :| I guess Amazon it is, then.

IrishNinja

man, GAF is quick to facepalm when you dont automatically know who's who in the industry by screenames. so weird.

im like 4 hours in and still in what's gotta be the closing of chapter 1. its crazy/great so far, has some of the charm of dreamcast horror games for me, its weird. the only parts i wish i could skip are the driving bits...the dialogue's fun, even when its solo, but the driving itself is getting tedious. odd this one's not getting talked about more, i guess its release timing is to blame.

IrishNinja said:
man, GAF is quick to facepalm when you dont automatically know who's who in the industry by screenames. so weird.

im like 4 hours in and still in what's gotta be the closing of chapter 1. its crazy/great so far, has some of the charm of dreamcast horror games for me, its weird. the only parts i wish i could skip are the driving bits...the dialogue's fun, even when its solo, but the driving itself is getting tedious. odd this one's not getting talked about more, i guess its release timing is to blame.

Yup, a great game that goes without enough recognition. Oh, you can get the radio from a sidequest at George's house if I remember correctly. Get that.

IrishNinja

whaaaaaat.
off to find george's house, thanks man. last i checked, even gamefaqs didnt have shit on this yet...talk about sleeping!:D

Aaron

IrishNinja said:
whaaaaaat.
off to find george's house, thanks man. last i checked, even gamefaqs didnt have shit on this yet...talk about sleeping!:D
It's pretty near to the Milk Barn.

IrishNinja said:
whaaaaaat.

No problem, just be sure to pick up a
flower on a rainy day before you go so that way you don't have to wait for it

eXistor

randomwab said:
Still no Euro release. :(

Guess I'm going to import the PS3 version when I get paid next week.
I'm hoping to finally get it in monday or tuesday. I can't wait, I'm just absolutely sure I'm gonna love the hell out of it.

Balya

Finished it on easy (since it doesn't stack and I hate going backwards in difficulty on replays) and got the trading cards achievement yesterday, already on Chapter 10 of my normal playthrough, which doesn't seem much harder.

This game is just the greatest for the money. I've been totally neglecting FFXIII for the past four days because of it. :lol

IrishNinja

ah, got the flower, but george's is locked up like the rest of this crazy town cause its raining.

im at the part where
you gotta meet the town for a talk at the assembly hall. again, i gotta be nearing the end of chapter 1. are all chapters this lengthy? that'd be impressive.
also: im here waiting on in-game time to get to 15:00 to move the fuck on. ive hit up most of the nearby suspect's houses and eaten lunch, what else can i do to kill time? fuck me, i wish this game had a "fast forward" option like shenmue and others. dying to see what odd movie York rants about in front of the townspeople. :lol

IrishNinja said:
ah, got the flower, but george's is locked up like the rest of this crazy town cause its raining.

im at the part where
you gotta meet the town for a talk at the assembly hall. again, i gotta be nearing the end of chapter 1. are all chapters this lengthy? that'd be impressive.
also: im here waiting on in-game time to get to 15:00 to move the fuck on. ive hit up most of the nearby suspect's houses and eaten lunch, what else can i do to kill time? fuck me, i wish this game had a "fast forward" option like shenmue and others. dying to see what odd movie York rants about in front of the townspeople. :lol

If you don't have any sidequests open, then break out your smokes to fast forward time.

Balya

IrishNinja said:
im at the part where

The Episodes get
closer and closer together, the last few only have one to two Chapters.

IrishNinja said:

im at the part where

Most of the chapters are about that length except the last handful really, to me it was a great game and I got my money worth of time just from the regular story. You will still be able to get the radio, look at the sidequest for the flower, there should be little numbers near the sidequest number, that means those are the chapters that particular sidequest is available. You can smoke your cigarettes to kill time.

IrishNinja

nice. im moving along, but yeah - there's no way to upgrade my gun, then? im in chapter 2, finding shotgun ammo but no shotgun yet, im thinking i might've somehow missed it. ive got the arms dealer option from my trunk, but he doesnt sell much at this point...just wondering if i can get anything past my standard issue and the pellet/machine gun thing.

sad that im dying right now to a tree/gas puzzle, though.

Balya

No you can't upgrade your gun, the shotgun dropped off an enemy in I think the
Muses Gallery
Other World? Somewhere around there. I ended up getting the infinite Magnum fairly early, you just have to
find all seven of those bones Brian's looking for and have Kaysen's dog steal them all at once before you turn them in.

Coldsnap

So what stores are stocking this game? I have some rewards at Best Buy I could use...
I dont see Deadly Premonition on bestbuy.com though so I'm guessing they are not selling it?

Swittcher

Banned
How come I'm half-way through the game, met all the residents at the community center, and I still have only the one achievement for finishing the prologue?

Swittcher said:
How come I'm half-way through the game, met all the residents at the community center, and I still have only the one achievement for finishing the prologue?

Because you're not even close to halfway through the game?

Balya

Swittcher said:

Some people might be getting Chapters confused with Episodes. There are 26 Chapters contained within 7 Episodes. The achievements are for Episode completion.

Swittcher

Banned
Balya said:
Some people might be getting Chapters confused with Episodes. There are 26 Chapters contained within 7 Episodes. The achievements are for Episode completion.

That would be my mistake, thanks.

Goddamn, how long is this game, hour wise?

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
This is perhaps the first game im really jealous that i cant play. So tempted to save up and buy this as soon as i can so i dont have to worry about tracking it down a year or more from now. Looks so fun.

Jhoan

I played about 7 or so hours worth yesterday to what I believe is the last chapter and
WTF? This game got a hell of a lot crazier with too many plot twists; Thomas and Carol were part of a cult that was dedicated to George. Thomas and Carol died; the seeds give immortality; George was the Raincoat Killer; there was another Raincoat Killer; George turned into something that looked like Blanka; Forrest Kaysen is actually the dude pulling all the strings; the upside down peace sign stands for the tree; Kaysen is actually some crazy ass fat lizard monster who killed Emily by planting a tree inside her; York's mother died by Kaysen's hand, causing York's pops to commit suicide; Zach is actually York's best friend who is in turn, the person that Emily liked and that Kaysen was after; Kaysen is immortal and fired gas into the town 50 years back; OG Raincoat killer witnessed Kaysen firing said gas. Now I'm playing as a white haired, red and green eyed York who is actually Zach with extra scars while being chased by big ass lizard Kaysen; I chose to shoot Emily. Can this game get any crazier than this? Sweet Jesus!
I didn't do all the sidequests (missed the lilies, Gina, and the
dude who was stalking Carol; George's sidequest, Emily's sidequest, Quint and Richard's sidequest, never found the dress for Anna's mom, was supposed to get York's car, didnt get it.
This game is insane, seriously. I'm almost seeing the end.

I really need to get back to this game. Its on my backlog but damn it keeps calling to me!

*FUCK* I just remembered that I'm stuck fighting those
predator type pmsing bitches!

IrishNinja

thanks for the help so far in this thread, guys. im up to episode 3 now, just got the achievement for finishing 2 part 2...some crazy backstory revelations. shit's building!

i gotta say: there's always a group here/other gaming sites on about how they lament Resident Evil's direction (from 4 on) being more actiony, and how they wish it'd go back to its survival horror roots/the mansion and all. that very crowd - clearly forgiving of design/control faults - id be willing to bet they'd love this.
11 hours in, and amazed this is $20. again, deep/obvious faults, but if you're into the genre of weird psych horror, you're getting such a deal. to that end: yeah, it wasnt at my local gamestop either, but i just looked it up again the other day, its still on their website.

IrishNinja said:
thanks for the help so far in this thread, guys. im up to episode 3 now, just got the achievement for finishing 2 part 2...some crazy backstory revelations. shit's building!

i gotta say: there's always a group here/other gaming sites on about how they lament Resident Evil's direction (from 4 on) being more actiony, and how they wish it'd go back to its survival horror roots/the mansion and all. that very crowd - clearly forgiving of design/control faults - id be willing to bet they'd love this.
11 hours in, and amazed this is $20. again, deep/obvious faults, but if you're into the genre of weird psych horror, you're getting such a deal. to that end: yeah, it wasnt at my local gamestop either, but i just looked it up again the other day, its still on their website.

I'm not sure about that, I tried to get my friend who loves the Silent Hill and Alone In The Dark series and he just plain couldn't play this game, he flat out hated the gameplay and the visuals. He eventually just gave up on it and returned the game within a few days, I just thought it was kinda sad he let tiny things like graphics and driving get in the way of having fun with a game. He loved the story by the way.

Turnstyle

The official forums for this game seem to suggest that the Asian PS3 version doesn't have a UK language option. I thought it did?

Can someone confirm?

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
Finally finished the game last night after taking a few weeks off. What an awesome ending!

I fully expected George to be the killer. Hell, his license plate even reads 'HESTHE1' or something like that. But I honestly wasn't expecting Kaysen at all. The funny part is all the clues they give you that I just never put together. In the very first chapter in the red room you can spot a map of the US with little Kaysen dolls to see where he's been selling his seeds. F-K in the coffee turned out to be entirely true. His red tree = upside down peace sign. I'm sure there's a lot more too. I'm interested in replaying it to find all that stuff that wasn't so obvious the first time. Also, Thomas' betrayal was probably the one I enjoyed the most. It was so bizarre, and yet so awesome.

I was also surprised to find that, for how screwed up the story gets, most of it makes complete sense in the end.

The only thing I didn't quite understand was the Zach/York switcheroo and seeing York, Emily and all the dead people in that bizarro world at the end. And what were the zombies/demon world? Were they citizens from the 1950s gassing? Was it all in York's mind? Emily saw it too.. I guess there's a lot of ways you could interpret those.

Overall the game was very very fun. I wouldn't call it a "good" game in the traditional sense, but it was certainly an incredibly enjoyable one.

Well...I just plugged in my copy of Deadly Premonition for the first time and I don't quite know what to say.

I have no idea why, but I have a feeling that I'm going to get hooked on this game. Either the developers have stumbled upon something or they're evil geniuses. :lol

randomwab

So, the Japanese PS3 release doesn't have English? FUCK! How long do I have to wait, eh? I wanna see the letters in my coffee. ;_;

i'm not too far into the game but i hope this game does well enough to warrant a sequel. whoever made this game deserves a bit of a bigger budget. i know a lot of its charm probably came from not having that budget, but its just too hilarious and awesome to let this story die with this game :lol

Desctructoid and reviewers made this game out to be shit. Is this one of those games that is so bad it's good or is it just generally good but with a few flaws? If I can find it on the cheap, might give it a try.

riceandbeans said:
Desctructoid and reviewers made this game out to be shit. Is this one of those games that is so bad it's good or is it just generally good but with a few flaws? If I can find it on the cheap, might give it a try.

1. it's not really "so bad it's good" type. it is an odd game. CLEARLY a lot of care and effort went into the dialog and characters. that is no accident. the graphics are honestly of dreamcast quality when you are driving the car, but the rest of the game just looks like early xbox 360 graphics. the gameplay itself isn't awful, but it's not great. think of early resident evils and you get the picture. you should be playing this game for the crazy story, the characters, and the awesome dialog :lol

2. it retails for $19.99, how much cheaper do you want it!

Finished this game up last week. I thought it was really enjoyable and I certainly liked how they
had quests for unlimited ammo on guns since most of the enjoyment came from just doing quests/going around town/following the story
. I know it isn't likely at all, but I'd be all over a sequel. I already plan on playing through it again in the coming months.

Wow. I wasn't expecting to be in the "love it" camp with this one but I'm starting to think that's where I'm headed. :lol l

Everything is so off kilter that it makes me anxious to see what's around every corner...and I'm just getting started.

Turnstyle

Could some of the people in this thread who own the Japanese PS3 version confirm if it includes English lamguage or not? I cannot find a straight answer anywhere.

Thanks!

Goldrusher

And the Asian version.

Someone posted photos earlier, but no word if the actual game is only in Japanese. The box could be wrong...

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Porridge said:
From ignition forums moderator Mad Max:

So there's a little bit of hope I guess. Maybe PS3 owners like myself will get to see what the fuss is all about soon enough. I just know I'm not paying $80.00 for an imported Asian copy.

Oh, god. Please let it happen. Even if they go the NISA route of Badman 1 "pre-order the UMD"/printing only that many, I'd buy it for $20 PS3.

Better than $80 importing knowing that there is an English/US copy on 360 for $20. :(

Top Bottom