• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deadly Premonition |OT| first real survival-horror for X360

York has a fascination with taxidermy, old hunting rifles and biscuits. Very interesting. I was glad to help the sheriff out by helping him find Arnold, and apparently I don't know shit about squirrels.

Odrion

Banned
2nb6elk.png

From the GB forums.

eXistor

Roughmar said:
Is the game Region Free or the US version is NTSC?
Again, you're shit outta luck. The US 360 version is region-locked and is not released on PS3 there (yet). There simply isn't a way to play it if you're in Europe and don't know Japanese (so playing the region-free Asian version is really not a good option either), unless you can play ntsc games or have a US console.

I Push Fat Kids said:
Toolbox has an option to buy guns but I'm not sure when that pops up?

Also, the receptionist at the hospital sells medicine.
option to buy guns doesn't activate until after you've spoken to the gunsmith at the town meeting in chapter 6.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
goldsoundz said:
York has a fascination with taxidermy, old hunting rifles and biscuits. Very interesting. I was glad to help the sheriff out by helping him find Arnold, and apparently I don't know shit about squirrels.

:lol Haha. That part with Arnold was a bit uncomfortable.

This game is a mess. I still haven't figured out if I'm enjoying myself at all though. I mean I've played some bad games but this is, just, you know,,,,,,,

Swittcher

Banned
Truelize said:
:lol Haha. That part with Arnold was a bit uncomfortable.

This game is a mess. I still haven't figured out if I'm enjoying myself at all though. I mean I've played some bad games but this is, just, you know,,,,,,,

....fucking awesome?

Swittcher said:
....fucking awesome?
It really isn't, but for some reason I can't turn away. Whenever I see my next objective is more than 1,000m away from my current location I cringe knowing that I have to drive one of these shitty cop cars that for some reason are much more sensitive to left turns than right. I'll stick around for the characters and nonsensical story alone, but the driving and overworld are both utter shit and the shooting is tolerable, I guess. The game is definitely worth $20 though.

goldsoundz said:
It really isn't, but for some reason I can't turn away. Whenever I see my next objective is more than 1,000m away from my current location I cringe knowing that I have to drive one of these shitty cop cars that for some reason are much more sensitive to left turns than right. I'll stick around for the characters and nonsensical story alone, but the driving and overworld are both utter shit and the shooting is tolerable, I guess. The game is definitely worth $20 though.
You can get better cars and fast travel eventually.

IrishNinja

tied it up, such a great game, crazy deal for $20.
endgame was insanely quirky and kinda mean, at that.

shit, where was arnold, anyway?

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Bought it based on this thread, in the backlog. Didn't want this game to disappear on me in the future.

Dead Man

eXistor said:
Again, you're shit outta luck. The US 360 version is region-locked and is not released on PS3 there (yet). There simply isn't a way to play it if you're in Europe and don't know Japanese (so playing the region-free Asian version is really not a good option either), unless you can play ntsc games or have a US console.
Doesn't the Asian version have English? I thought it did.

Roughmar

eXistor said:

Goddamn = \

Clevinger

ghostmind said:
HA HA HA HA HA... the GameStop employee actually recommended that I NOT buy it!

"I heard this game was really bad..."

I've heard a ton of stories exactly like that. It's pretty lame.

Isn't that the original model for the main character? David Young Henning....or something. I like the crazy one in York they settled on a lot more, anyway. It's funny that the model and name change seemed to have come from worries about the game coming too close to specific Twin Peaks elements, yet the model for York look almost like an insane James Hurley from the same show.

I'm ready to start a second play through and am getting impatient waiting for this guy to respond to my PM, so I'll ask here.

iammeiam said:
And it wears its Twin Peaks influence like a giant "THE END IS COMING" sandwich board (Laura Palmer's picture is in the game!), so it's not trying to pull one over on you.

Anyone know where to find this?

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Swittcher said:
....totally awesome?

No I'm pretty sure the game is complete garbage honestly. But I'm also 100% sure that I like it. I really shouldn't though.
The game is ugly, the controls are ass, the load times when he gets in and out of a car are horrible time wasters and don't need to exist at all. The sounds when he turns off the car are stupid, no one revs their engine up before they turn it off. The lack of a map that actually works. Why can't I zoom out further? Why can't I mark a location on the map?

Almost everything about this game is garbage and is incredibly outdated....

But I would suggest it to anyone that actually enjoys games, and not to point out the things wrong with it. But, suggest it because it seems it's an experience worth having.

Does that make any sense?

Truelize said:
No I'm pretty sure the game is complete garbage honestly. But I'm also 100% sure that I like it. I really shouldn't though.
The game is ugly, the controls are ass, the load times when he gets in and out of a car are horrible time wasters and don't need to exist at all. The sounds when he turns off the car are stupid, no one revs their engine up before they turn it off. The lack of a map that actually works. Why can't I zoom out further? Why can't I mark a location on the map?

Almost everything about this game is garbage and is incredibly outdated....

But I would suggest it to anyone that actually enjoys games, and not to point out the things wrong with it. But, suggest it because it seems it's an experience worth having.

Does that make any sense?

Press enter.

Yeah, you can press start to skip the getting into car animation, you can also press start to make the picked up item screen go by faster.

I don't think Deadly Premonition is bad so much as it is unconventional. I'm not saying it's on the same level or anything, but one could easily say Picasso's paintings are absolutely terrible if judged on a more traditional painting rubric.

My evidence is that, in the end, Deadly Premonition is a game that can be more engaging, entertaining and compelling than a lot of games that have more traditionally "good" qualities. And in the end, an amazing experience is really what it's all about, even if it doesn't line up exactly with what we've decided beforehand makes a game "good."

Watching GiantBomb's Endurance Run is more making me want to watch Twin Peaks than play Deadly Premonition. I think I'll stick with watching them play it.

Aaron

Punchy4486 said:
Watching GiantBomb's Endurance Run is more making me want to watch Twin Peaks than play Deadly Premonition. I think I'll stick with watching them play it.
Then you're only getting half the experience. By making the controls awkward (not bad), they actually make you think about what you're doing. It doesn't make the game any more difficult. The game is extremely easy, actually.

I'm having a hard time deciding how I want to play this game. Do I play a chapter, then watch GiantBomb do it, or vise-versa? Right now I'm doing the former and it seems to work out, sometimes it's a bit painful when they can't figure something simple out.

Kevtones

Just thought I'd pop in here to say that I've been adapting the story into a feature screenplay. It's going pretty well although I started it at as part of the SCRIPTFRENZY contest where you have to write 100 pages in a month.

I'm working on getting a blessing from Ignition although at this point it's not crucial unless I think it's good enough to WGA. Pretty solid so far :D

haha, woah!

Ever see the Pit?

Anyone have a picture of Yorks face if you fail a time based puzzle? he turns around and he is REALLY evil looking, its only for a split second but it was actually damn creepy! :D

Late game help needed. Pretty major spoiler.

In the zombie police station trying to catch George, where the hell's the last key to unlock the cell with Anna in it? I've unlocked every other cell.

Edit: nevermind, I got it.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
All right, what the fuck. I'm on the section with all those wall-crawling enemies. They take a bajillion bullets to kill, so I look online for what the best strategy is for them.

I find people say that the infinite flamethrower is the way to go, should kill 'em in like 3 hits. Well great! Just so happens I got the infinite flamethrower (Wesley Special) before I went on this mission. So I equip it... She approaches, materializes, I blast her, she lights on fire, repeat. "Oh, I've done that 3 times, why isn't she dead?" turns into "All right, I've done this 20 fucking times, why are you LYING TO ME you fucking internet jackasses." Is my flamethrower glitched or something? This enemy isn't the only one it does jack-all against, it also doesn't seem to do crap to normal zombies. Is there an alt-fire crit rocket button I'm missing? What the fucking hell.

Shig said:
All right, what the fuck. I'm on the section with all those wall-crawling enemies. They take a bajillion bullets to kill, so I look online for what the best strategy is for them.

I find people say that the infinite flamethrower is the way to go, should kill 'em in like 3 hits. Well great! Just so happens I got the infinite flamethrower (Wesley Special) before I went on this mission. So I equip it... She approaches, materializes, I blast her, she lights on fire, repeat. "Oh, I've done that 3 times, why isn't she dead?" turns into "All right, I've done this 20 fucking times, why are you LYING TO ME you fucking internet jackasses." Is my flamethrower glitched or something? This enemy isn't the only one it does jack-all against, it also doesn't seem to do crap to normal zombies. Is there an alt-fire crit rocket button I'm missing? What the fucking hell.

They take 10 hits from the shotgun to go down, for what it's worth.

Also a high damage melee weapon will take them down pretty quick, but I think you can only hit them when they're on the side wall. When I used the flamethrower I kept it going after they initially caught on fire until they turned transparent again - that was pretty fast IIRC.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Got this yesterday and already clocked about 8 hours into it, haha. I have a few questions though:

-I got the radio, but how do I use it?

-I slept at a random area and he woke up at 4AM, the place was all hellish and a giant dog attacked me, among other zombies. Was that the random area I slept at, or does it just do that at night?

-What the hell is with the leaderboard? the x/100, is that seriusly me breaking the top 100 in a lot of areas? It says prologue at the top and I can't seem to switch pages(I just got done with the town meeting), but I'm S rank in most of the areas. Specifically, I am number 1 in car wreckages after 1 car broke, and I'm 4 in a lot of other spots.

Papercuts said:
Got this yesterday and already clocked about 8 hours into it, haha. I have a few questions though:

-I got the radio, but how do I use it?

-I slept at a random area and he woke up at 4AM, the place was all hellish and a giant dog attacked me, among other zombies. Was that the random area I slept at, or does it just do that at night?

-What the hell is with the leaderboard? the x/100, is that seriusly me breaking the top 100 in a lot of areas? It says prologue at the top and I can't seem to switch pages(I just got done with the town meeting), but I'm S rank in most of the areas. Specifically, I am number 1 in car wreckages after 1 car broke, and I'm 4 in a lot of other spots.

Go to your inventory and select it, then select a location you want to visit.

Happens every night past 2:00 AM I believe.

It hardly sold so I wouldn't doubt it.

Is it just the alcohol talking, or is Emily really attractive? In a game with such bad graphics, there's something they're doing with Emily thats very good. I know she's supposed to look like Mulholland Drive, but theres more to it than that. Its something else. Maybe shes just a good character. Maybe a realistc character, as ludicrious as that sounds? Something. Shes pretty hot though.

Top Bottom