• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deadly Premonition |OT| first real survival-horror for X360

blahness

Does anyone know why i cant use the radio to go to any place other than Becky's house? I am on ch. 15 and have been everywhere on the map and new locations are still not selectable (they are all grayed out).

blahness said:
Does anyone know why i cant use the radio to go to any place other than Becky's house? I am on ch. 15 and have been everywhere on the map and new locations are still not selectable (they are all grayed out).
Are you using the D-pad to select the destinations? Because for some reason you can't use the analog stick to do it.

Alright, I just finished it. I definitely have some problems with the game (mostly it kind of bothers me that the game gets incredibly linear after Chapter 3 and that the ending is kind of a clusterfuck with a bunch of things left unexplained), but I have to say, York/Zach is definitely one of the most interesting characters in any game I've played recently. The game may have had incredibly spotty writing in places, but I absolutely loved the way they resolved the character in Chapter 6 and the Epilogue. Wonderful stuff.

If there's any justice in this world, a studio will give SWERY and his boys a ton of money and tell them to go nuts a la Suda. Considering how pretty much every single thing holding this game back was some mechanical issue, I'd kill to see what these guys could do with a sequel if given some extra cash and a whole lot more resources than Marvelous can provide. And by sequel I mean spiritual successor because I don't think Deadly Premonition really needs a sequel.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
You know what the best thing about this game is ?

I CANT FUCKING TELL BECAUSE THEY'RE NOT FUCKING RELEASING THIS FOR PAL REGIONS !!

chandoog said:
You know what the best thing about this game is ?

I CANT FUCKING TELL BECAUSE THEY'RE NOT FUCKING RELEASING THIS FOR PAL REGIONS !!
I'm sure Rising Star will get to it eventually.

I dunno...I'd love to have sequels that followed new cases with Agent
Zach
. In any case, I'd just love to have more Access Games stuff and DP doing well helps that happen.

MightyHedgehog said:
I dunno...I'd love to have sequels that followed new cases with Agent
Zach
. In any case, I'd just love to have more Access Games stuff and DP doing well helps that happen.
Eh. I kind of feel like
Zach
's story is over unless you focus on
him trying to rebuild his life after essentially being a suppressed personality/voice of reason in his own body for years to mask his insecurities, but at that point you're basically telling a new story with a whole new character that shares the name and history of the previous character, but none of the charm and quirk that got us to love him in the first place.
And there's no real reason to return to Greenvale unless you make it a prequel (though the part where
you play as the MOTHERFUCKING RAINCOAT KILLER
kind of already achieved that). The only reason I can think of for having a sequel would be to fill in on the few things I feel like weren't adequately explained
(like why the army was driving the citizens of Greenvale crazy with the gas, and what the nature of the Red Tree truly is... and what the fuck Kayson is)

Anyone here play Spy Fiction? I'm considering tracking down a copy on the strength of this alone.

The way I imagine it,
Kaysen
was just a part of a larger picture of interdimensional crazy people fucking with the poor innocent humans. The Agent could be well into some X-Files style adventures. Again, I'm really just happy if Access continues to be able to make more titles, but I think there's a lot more that can be done with the craziness of DP's world.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
So I just beat the game...

I am truly speechless, such an amazing game :lol.

Major spoiler question ahead

Is it possible to save Emily? What other outcomes could happen from the Zack decision (or does it not change anything?)

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Bloodwake said:
Wow. Easily the most fucked up game I ever played in my life. Holy shit.

Throughout the last few chapters I just kept saying, "HOLY SHIT" "WTF?!" :lol

Pankaks said:
So I just beat the game...

I am truly speechless, such an amazing game :lol.

Major spoiler question ahead

Is it possible to save Emily? What other outcomes could happen from the Zack decision (or does it not change anything?)

I was told that there are no alternate endings possible, which was surprising and a little disappointing. The Silent Hill vibes from the game and the huge number of ignorable sidequests had me feeling like there might be multiple possible endings.

Pancakes

KefkaTaran said:
I was told that there are no alternate endings possible, which was surprising and a little disappointing. The Silent Hill vibes from the game and the huge number of ignorable sidequests had me feeling like there might be multiple possible endings.

Well that's a bummer :(.

Yeah, there's only one ending. I'm kind of happy about that, though, since having it end any other way might not be so satisfying. That is, unless Swery was smart enough to put in "Dog ending."

One question, though:
do the three choices in the Theatre do anything different? I selected "shoot Emily" and Zach couldn't bring himself to do it, and I'm guessing that he won't kill himself either, but what happens if you shoot Kaysen?

Pancakes

I AM JOHN! said:
Yeah, there's only one ending. I'm kind of happy about that, though, since having it end any other way might not be so satisfying. That is, unless Swery was smart enough to put in "Dog ending."

One question, though:
do the three choices in the Theatre do anything different? I selected "shoot Emily" and Zach couldn't bring himself to do it, and I'm guessing that he won't kill himself either, but what happens if you shoot Kaysen?

That's what I'm wondering too. My guess is that Emily will convince Zach not to kill himself and shooting Kaysen really wouldn't have any effect since he's "immortal" anyway.

Why did Emily have to die? ;_;

MiniDitka

I AM JOHN! said:

One question, though:
This is what happens - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVAZ9C6rN18

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
Just a reminder, good folks:

Today (Sunday the 25th) will be the deadline for submitting questions to Deadly Premonition's director, SWERY, as outlined in this post.

Keep 'em comin'! Thanx!!

Feindflug

Aokage said:
Just a reminder, good folks:

Today (Sunday the 25th) will be the deadline for submitting questions to Deadly Premonition's director, SWERY, as outlined in this post.

Keep 'em comin'! Thanx!!

OK I have a question: is there any chance of a PAL version? and if not why is the game region locked? :(

I live in Aussie land and while I have a 360 I don't really use it, good for me the PS3 i have is in regular use, which brings me to my next questions...

1. As an only english speaker can I get the PS3 version of this game and be fine with it on my PAL ps3? Is it worth it (good port?)

2. Where is a good (cheap and trusty) place to get it?

Thanks guys

Played and beat this game a week ago. Easily one of my favorite games I've played in a long time. It's definitely a game that is greater, much greater, than the sum of its parts.

Just finished up episode 1. I'm really starting to enjoy the game now. It was hard to get into at first, but after meeting most of the town I'm finally getting into it. At the
diner with Thomas, George, and Emily after the town meeting I got a good laugh out of York's last case (the dude who collected skulls).

When do I get a new car? I can't take the shitty police cruiser anymore, but my radio does help with that issue a bit.

ArjanN

goldsoundz said:
When do I get a new car? I can't take the shitty police cruiser anymore, but my radio does help with that issue a bit.

You can buy cars from the general at the junkyard.

MiniDitka said:
Honestly, I think that part was kind of poorly done.

If Emily is going to die regardless and become a cross between a corpse and a red tree, what's the point of killing her yourself except to end her misery a couple seconds earlier, especially when Zach can't bring himself to pull the trigger in the end anyway? Maybe there's an intentional point I'm missing about the overall futility of the choice or there's an element of the Red Tree stuff (which, admittedly, I still don't really understand) that I'm not getting, but something about that choice just feels arbitrary. In that case I would've rather they just ended the game there or never gave you a choice to begin with.

Aokage, is it too late to send a question? I think I have one.

Rrang129

oh no I think I hit a bug :(

Im on Episode 4
Chapter 22 - in the sherriff's office... I got all the keys for the cells downstairs, and there is a door in Cell #5... I keep bumping my head on it and nothing I do can get me in the door...

Ive ran around the whole building trying to find something or maybe Im missing something....

Any help would be appreciated

Edit: NVM..... you have to hold A.... wow.....

:lol :lol :lol

I got stuck on that part for a long time, be glad you found out quickly enough. By the way, is there ever going to be a sequel or something to this?

teacupcopter said:
I live in Aussie land and while I have a 360 I don't really use it, good for me the PS3 i have is in regular use, which brings me to my next questions...

1. As an only english speaker can I get the PS3 version of this game and be fine with it on my PAL ps3? Is it worth it (good port?)

2. Where is a good (cheap and trusty) place to get it?

Thanks guys
:(

Patryn

I got stuck on that same part. Kept trying to break down the door. Took me like 15 minutes before I figured out I had to hold A. I've rarely felt stupider playing a game. Made me realize what all those people felt when dealing with that barrel in Sonic.

Pancakes

I asked SWERY whether or not their are any plans for a sequel.

Swery65 said:
@Pankaks We don't have any plan yet. But there is no guarantee. It will become true, if it is necessary.

I still BELIEVE!

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Ask them what the fuck did the Pal people ever do to their ancestors for us not getting the game at all :9

soultron

Banned
Chapter 1 story spoilers (Don't read if you don't have the SMG yet)!!

I am a good 3/4 evidence peices into the profiling in the
sawmill
, and just hit the scene where
the raincoat murderer is on the other side of the door and it goes super 20FPS split screen.
So awesome. Really enjoying this game so far. Sad to say that it's been one of the most original games I've played in a long time. Mainly because it's so batshit insane. The monkey-scream squirrels in the beginning of the game made me laugh so hard. The
tree of hands that you had to shoot in order to get a door knob from (yes, I just typed that.)
was a pure WTF moment. York's smile is creepy as fuck. George's dismissing wave is rough and tough.

Not too shocked by the review scores. This is a game for people who love to play games -- not for people who like to see beautiful graphics, to make sense of a Bruckheimer/Bay action flick plot(which is what most games are these days), or shoot things in the FAAAACE in first person. This is totally a GAF game; I know this because I saw G A F in the coffee this morning.

Coldsnap

So I'm playing this game along with Mass Effect 2. I read both Mass Effect 2 novels, sorta a nerd with their fiction, but yet somehow I am enjoying the story/characters of Deadly Premonition more.... I'm not sure if this says something about ME but shit I love the characters in Deadly Premonition

Mollymauk

soultron said:
Chapter 1 story spoilers (Don't read if you don't have the SMG yet)!!

I am a good 3/4 evidence peices into the profiling in the
sawmill
, and just hit the scene where
the raincoat murderer is on the other side of the door and it goes super 20FPS split screen.
So awesome. Really enjoying this game so far. Sad to say that it's been one of the most original games I've played in a long time. Mainly because it's so batshit insane. The monkey-scream squirrels in the beginning of the game made me laugh so hard. The
tree of hands that you had to shoot in order to get a door knob from (yes, I just typed that.)
was a pure WTF moment. York's smile is creepy as fuck. George's dismissing wave is rough and tough.

Not too shocked by the review scores. This is a game for people who love to play games -- not for people who like to see beautiful graphics, to make sense of a Bruckheimer/Bay action flick plot(which is what most games are these days), or shoot things in the FAAAACE in first person. This is totally a GAF game; I know this because I saw G A F in the coffee this morning.
I just finished that part myself. The first chapter is longer than I expected. I need to load up on health packs. Is there a place you can buy them?

Just finished it over the weekend. Total playtime was around 25 hours, with a good portion of the sidequests completed, but didn't quite make 100%. I liked the game a lot.

I got the sense that the developers were going for a Lynchian feel that was like small-town Americana but slightly off, but the "weirdness effect" turned out much more pronounced because they're not from America and steeped in the culture like Lynch is. I found it very unique and entertaining.

Also I was pleasantly surprised at just how much content there was stuffed into this game, given the budget price point. Like all the house interiors being modeled and explorable. And so many of the sidequests including voiced, animated cutscenes when similar quests in so many other games just give you some lines of text.

And it's fun to play a horror game where the setting is actually inhabited- abandoned places are a bit of a cliche in the genre by now.

Do you people know every time this thread gets bumped and theres no news, a europeans heart breaks. Please for the love of god just bring the game out in europe and put me out of my misery :D

randomwab

McKeeverFever said:
Do you people know every time this thread gets bumped and theres no news a europeans heart breaks. Please for the love of god just bring the game out in europe and put me out of my misery :D

I'm right there with you. Every time I see this thread, by heart skips a beat.

Patryn

Coldsnap said:
So I'm playing this game along with Mass Effect 2. I read both Mass Effect 2 novels, sorta a nerd with their fiction, but yet somehow I am enjoying the story/characters of Deadly Premonition more.... I'm not sure if this says something about ME but shit I love the characters in Deadly Premonition

That's because ME2 doesn't really have a story at all.

ScHlAuChi

What was the reason behind regionlocking this?
Us poor Euros would have imported it like crazy!

Look at Demons Souls!

Is the Asia PS3 version worth to get?

Top Bottom