• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deadly Premonition |OT| first real survival-horror for X360

Trent Strong said:
Is it just the alcohol talking, or is Emily really attractive? In a game with such bad graphics, there's something they're doing with Emily thats very good. I know she's supposed to look like Mulholland Drive, but theres more to it than that. Its something else. Maybe shes just a good character. Maybe a realistc character, as ludicrious as that sounds? Something. Shes pretty hot though.

How long until we see some Deadly Premonition cosplay? Who's hardcore enough?

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
So close to buying this game with Prime.

Part of me is afraid this game will be so awfully good it may ruin Alan Wake for me.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
The Interrobanger said:
How long until we see some Deadly Premonition cosplay? Who's hardcore enough?

It's in the process.

atomsk

Party Pooper
Sunflower said:
It's in the process.

i've already got the right hair/eye color for it. i would just need a suit, some scar makeup, and to buzz that bit into my hair.

and then walk around showing people my badge and pointing at myself :lol

atomsk said:
i've already got the right hair/eye color for it. i would just need a suit, some scar makeup, and to buzz that bit into my hair.

and then walk around showing people my badge and pointing at myself :lol

And you could walk around the convention talking to random people talking about B movies, then talking to your imaginary friend Zach as well.

I'd do it but I don't want to get a buzz cut. I fucking hate super short hair like that (though it works for York, he's a badass, wouldn't work for me).

randomwab said:
Everytime I see this thread bump up, I pray for a Euro release. ;_;

No, I won't shut up about it!

Hahahaha I came here to post the exact same thing, Im praying this gets a euro release or at least as PS3 US Release.

explorer

Trent Strong said:
Is it just the alcohol talking, or is Emily really attractive? In a game with such bad graphics, there's something they're doing with Emily thats very good. I know she's supposed to look like Mulholland Drive, but theres more to it than that. Its something else. Maybe shes just a good character. Maybe a realistc character, as ludicrious as that sounds? Something. Shes pretty hot though.

It's because she is modeled after Naomi Watts who is the hottest thing alive

soco

momolicious said:
Why does the game have ps3 release in japan but not in US?

does sony allow games to be released at the 20$ price range?

Sony has had lots of other restrictions on games so that they can keep their image, so i wouldn't be surprised if it was something silly like that.

Finished it. Those twists, my those twists. I began missing the humor featured in the earlier parts of the game after things got super serious and morbid. A more depressing ending than I had anticipated also.

-Saw the Kaysen thing coming (well, not the fat lizard and implied raping of Emily part). But come on, he was carrying around the budding red tree from the moment we met him.

-So what's the story behind the shadows we've been shooting at the whole game? I always thought those were in York/Zach's mind but then Emily sees them.

-I didn't quite pick up on the York/Zach switcheroo at the theater. Michael calls him Francis Zach Morgan at the end, were we playing as Zach all along?

I enjoyed the game overall, though I still stand by my distaste for the shooting sections (getting an infinite weapon makes them barely tolerable). York's definitely one of the most interesting protagonists in a game ever.

SSnake

I rented this game due to GAF. After a couple of hours, I ordered a copy of Amazon.

I put off FFXIII, GoW3, and Resonance of Fate to play this game. It's just that awesome. I think I'm halfway through episode 3 and I can't wait to see what comes next.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Are there serious audio problems with this game or is it just my headphones?

Sometimes when people talk, I can't hear anything. I can only hear a buzzing type of noise. The next time someone else talks it is fine.

My headphones haven't had this type of problem with another game. The music is extremely loud, and I can hear it just fine, but occasionally, I'll only see text on the screen and not hear.

Feindflug

This game looks completely crazy and I really want to play it, too bad the 360 version is region locked.

Any word if there's a PAL version coming?

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
For people who have finished the game can you go back and complete side missions to collect trading cards you missed the first time through?

The side mission screen shows you which chapters you can complete each one during. Some of them are available in the very last chapter but many are not.

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
SCHUEY F1 said:
For people who have finished the game can you go back and complete side missions to collect trading cards you missed the first time through?
You can basically do a new game+ on any chapter you want. You can always go back to a previous chapter without messing up your current save to get trading cards/sidequests.

The only catch is that you can't save on chapters you return to. You have to complete the entire chapter before you can save again, but it's not that bad since you can run through all the chapters pretty quickly.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Okay, wtf on the time-based missions. Do I seriously have to sit here and wait for it to be 15:00? I slept but I still had 2 hours left and if I sleep for 3 hours I'll miss it. Can you speed up time?

Fantastical said:
Okay, wtf on the time-based missions. Do I seriously have to sit here and wait for it to be 15:00? I slept but I still had 2 hours left and if I sleep for 3 hours I'll miss it. Can you speed up time?
That's what the cigarettes are for. (It says it right in the manual on page 8 under the 'time and weather' explanation paragraph in the 'playing the game' section.)

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Zoso said:
You can basically do a new game+ on any chapter you want. You can always go back to a previous chapter without messing up your current save to get trading cards/sidequests.

The only catch is that you can't save on chapters you return to. You have to complete the entire chapter before you can save again, but it's not that bad since you can run through all the chapters pretty quickly.

Cool, thanks. The ones I missed are pretty early so it shouldn't take long.

Just finished episode 3. Wow shit is getting weird. I hear the rest of the episodes are like one to two chapters. (fairly shorter) this seem about right? Also am I on the episode where all hell breaks loose as I hear or is that further?

Just finished and am really impressed. The combat was fun-draining crap, but exploring and interacting with the town at this level drew me into the world more than any CG or exposition could have begun to. The characters are wonderful, the dialogue is always enjoyable, and the self-aware attitude throughout somehow avoids coming across as arrogant or sardonic and instead adds to the experience, blending in with the game as a whole. As for its imperfections (outside of the combat), virtually none of it bothered me; sure, virtually every aspect of DP is made of rough edges, but once you blur your eyes a bit, DP reveals itself to be very charming and engrossing.

This is one of only a few games that I've played lately that I would describe as "fresh," so hopefully we see more adventure games take some inspiration from DP (especially on the PC).

Patryn

Wow. Just beat this game.

Some thoughts/questions on the finale:

Ok, so what the hell was the villain's motive? I don't even know what he was. Some playful nature spirit or something?

And he's been doing this forever, but nobody else has tried to kill him? Why hasn't anyone reported him? Why didn't Polly find it strange that Kaysen looks exactly the same as he did 50 years ago? Why didn't Harry recognize Kaysen on top of the clock tower if Kaysen was enough of a resident to be in the picture of the clock tower going up?

Honestly, the whole ending thing just feels really odd and tacked on. I mean, I did notice that what the zombies have been mumbling the entire time is exactly what Emily was saying before she disemboweled herself, so at least that somewhat explained that.

I will say that I'm disappointed in who the Raincoat Killer turned out to be. I was hoping it would be Michael, since the finger wag he does to York is the same as the RK's.

Finally: The QTE before the final boss fight has to be one of the most annoying things EVER.

Patryn said:
Wow. Just beat this game.

Some thoughts/questions on the finale:

Ok, so what the hell was the villain's motive? I don't even know what he was. Some playful nature spirit or something?

And he's been doing this forever, but nobody else has tried to kill him? Why hasn't anyone reported him? Why didn't Polly find it strange that Kaysen looks exactly the same as he did 50 years ago? Why didn't Harry recognize Kaysen on top of the clock tower if Kaysen was enough of a resident to be in the picture of the clock tower going up?

Honestly, the whole ending thing just feels really odd and tacked on. I mean, I did notice that what the zombies have been mumbling the entire time is exactly what Emily was saying before she disemboweled herself, so at least that somewhat explained that.

I will say that I'm disappointed in who the Raincoat Killer turned out to be. I was hoping it would be Michael, since the finger wag he does to York is the same as the RK's.

Finally: The QTE before the final boss fight has to be one of the most annoying things EVER.

Basically my same thoughts and questions. So if anyone wants to take a stab at these! Please do! Wow what a last couple of episodes.

Better late than never! I published a review of Deadly Premonition today:

http://gameinformer.com/games/deadl.../16/amazing-coffee-questionable-gameplay.aspx

What a fantastic little game. Pretty sure this is going to be on my top 10 for the year, barring some other surprisingly endearing unexpected releases in the second half of the year.

The only (minor) disappointment for me was that
for a little bit in the second-to-last episode it seemed like they were going to explain everything in a relatively logical manner (loose science about the seeds aside). But then in that final chapter with Kaysen, they just toss away any logic and leave it all to science fiction craziness.
Still enjoyed the hell out of myself, though.

ghostmind

I only just finished Chapter 1, but while I was outside (in the middle of nowhere) I decided to use the cigarettes to pass the time... past midnight.

:eek:

blahness

I started this game last night and so far it lives up to the hype. I LOVE the American Psychoish conversations during the car rides regarding 80's movies and the like :lol :lol

I just finished Chapter Two, and I have a question/thought for all y'all:

Was there something between George and Diane? When I was wandering around before meeting Olivia outside A&G, I peeked in on George stopping by Muses' Gallery to pay Diane a visit. Nothing happened, but thinking about that with the knowledge that Diane was incredibly promiscuous (and obviously not choosey if she banged Kayson) and that George took her death incredibly hard makes me wonder if there was something more between them as opposed to George simply feeling like an inadequate officer. What do you guys think?

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Kind of backwards, I know, but I started watching Twin Peaks because of this game (you can actually watch all the episodes besides the pilot, which I rented from Netflix, on CBS's website). The show is amazing, and I can definitely see the similarities between the show and the game and it makes me appreciate it even more.

I think I'm going to take a break from the game and watch a lot of the series because I think I'll gain more from it. :D

Patryn

I AM JOHN! said:
I just finished Chapter Two, and I have a question/thought for all y'all:

Was there something between George and Diane? When I was wandering around before meeting Olivia outside A&G, I peeked in on George stopping by Muses' Gallery to pay Diane a visit. Nothing happened, but thinking about that with the knowledge that Diane was incredibly promiscuous (and obviously not choosey if she banged Kayson) and that George took her death incredibly hard makes me wonder if there was something more between them as opposed to George simply feeling like an inadequate officer. What do you guys think?

You've finished Episode 2 of 7 (I'm guessing you mean Episode, not Chapter, because the meeting you describe definitely does not happen in Chapter 2). Suffice to say, to expound on the relationship between any of the townspeople would be equivalent to spoiling the plot at this point.

AleeN634

Just beat the game today. You know for the price it was pretty good. I love the open world stuff and even though everything is there but not perfect, it still comes together in a way I found enjoyable.

After this game I'll never look at coffee the same way again :lol

Patryn said:
You've finished Episode 2 of 7 (I'm guessing you mean Episode, not Chapter, because the meeting you describe definitely does not happen in Chapter 2). Suffice to say, to expound on the relationship between any of the townspeople would be equivalent to spoiling the plot at this point.
I thought it was the other way around; Chapters were the collective, Episodes were the parts of said collective. Not that it really matters. Point is, thanks for letting me know and not spoiling me. :(

~Kinggi~

Banned
Hey, just thought i'd chime in and say this game is a piece of shit!!! Bought it for a pricey 19$ off amazon. I did it more for nostalgic reasons i think, you know, the game everyone is making fun of watching the endurance run! But yeah, god damn this game is bad. :lol

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
~Kinggi~ said:
Hey, just thought i'd chime in and say this game is a piece of shit!!! Bought it for a pricey 19$ off amazon. I did it more for nostalgic reasons i think, you know, the game everyone is making fun of watching the endurance run! But yeah, god damn this game is bad. :lol

But the game is quirky & has atmosphere!

Isn't that enough to look past all the terrible gameplay, design, presentation, control & graphical flaws?

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
HEY GAF!

Have some burning Deadly Premonition questions that need to be answered?

Curious about the game's tumultuous development? Story? Design philosophies? Influences?

Why not ask the director, Hidetaka "SWERY" Suehiro?

On the next episode of WARNING! A Huge Podcast, we'll be doing a meaty Deadly Premonition postmortem/retrospective complete with SWERY Q&A. If we use your question, you'll get full credit!

Please direct all queries to wahp@morningproject.com.

Many thanks for your brilliant, incisive questions in advance!

ghostmind

Just finished with a total just over 20 hours.

The mechanics were crap, the gameplay frustrating and repetitive, but hot damn that was one unique story.

Well worth the $20.

FTWer said:
But the game is quirky & has atmosphere!

Isn't that enough to look past all the terrible gameplay, design, presentation, control & graphical flaws?

I honestly dont think the game play is that bad. The presentation fits perfectly with the game and I think graphics looked good in the PS2 era so that means nothing to me when people complain about the graphics.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I can't get enough of (ending spoilers)
George's theme.
I think the music was one of the biggest surprised to me, really memorable tunes throughout the whole thing.

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
Holy hell, I didn't expect Gamespot to give this a positive review.

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/adventure/rainywoods/review.html

Kevin VanOrd said:
Considering its feeble production values, ancient controls, and all-round nuttiness, it would be tempting to dismiss Deadly Premonition as merely "so bad it's good," as if this creepy and crazy horror adventure were entertaining because it's so laughably and horrifically misguided. But you should harbor no such misconception: Deadly Premonition is good because it's actually good

What's funny is that, right now, IGN is the only big gaming site out there that gave the game a negative review (no VG Chartz, isn't a serious publication). Glad to see, that other publications chose the give this brillant little game a chance. Go, go Deadly Premonition.

So, uh, here's a potentially silly and super spoileriffic question that you shouldn't read if you haven't gotten to the Epilogue like I just have:

So what exactly IS Kayson? And what's the deal with the trees that the can be planted in a person? And if Harry is actually George's father and also got screwed over by Kayson, who is the woman George considers his mother?

And while we're on the subject: what's the deal with the endgame sidequests? I'm not sure I really care about completing everything, but would it be worth my time to do them anyway? I know the game has some weird New Game+ style thing, but should I just do those first before going back and trying to complete the other quests I never did? And is there any benefit to replaying the sequences?

Top Bottom