• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deadly Premonition |OT| first real survival-horror for X360

This was developed by the Spy Fiction guys? I guess the movie references aren't so out of the ordinary, Spy Fiction had an entire mission ripping off the wire scene from Mission Impossible.

Tremis

This man does his research.
PepsimanVsJoe said:
Drove around at 7:00 am and peaked into people's houses. :lol
Watched a family eat breakfast.

I went by the Deputy Sheriff's house and peeked into her kitchen. Wow she's a horrible cook. There was a spot behind the oven where she apparently set a small fire and a freaking knife was stuck in the wall.

I also checked out Thomas' place and his room had records scattered everywhere and what looked like women's clothing.

This game is amazing.

I wish I had a 360 right now... :(. This is giving me a Godhand-style meets survival horror vibe.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
PepsimanVsJoe said:

I went by the Deputy Sheriff's house and peeked into her kitchen. Wow she's a horrible cook. There was a spot behind the oven where she apparently set a small fire and a freaking knife was stuck in the wall.

I also checked out Thomas' place and his room had records scattered everywhere and what looked like women's clothing.

This game is amazing.
Wow, so glad Amazon got me this on "release" day. :lol
Can't wait to get home and start on it.

Kevtones

Okay so I just played through the forest scene. Holy fuck this is refreshing and very Twin Peaks.

The game also features the first enemies to creep out in a very long time. I'm probably one of the more difficult people to scare and the sound these enemies make is really unsettling.

Also:

+ LOVE the pause menu
+ Fuck the graphics haters, it's cohesive, poorly textured awesomeness.
+ Sound design is fantastic
+ Set in Washington state :lol

My only complaint so far is that I wish Kyle Mclaughlin was doing the VA. Probably would've doubled or tripled the budget but damn I'd pay gladly for it. So Shane, $20 DLC for Kyle Mclaughlin VA - DO IT.

randomwab said:
Know anything about a Euro release, Shane? Really dying to get a hold of this, especially after all the positive impressions I've seen knocking about.

Pretty sure that Rising Star Games is on track to release it as 'Deadly Premonition' in Europe in the Spring timeframe. I'll do some digging to see if it's still on track.

Kevtones

Also, is it weird that I find the storytelling and writing in this game 10,238 times more compelling after 1 hour of play than I have in 3 with Heavy Rain?

Got my copy, think I might take a break from Heavy Rain in a bit to check it out. I'm actually really really stoked to play it. How is everyone liking it? I can't believe how fucking awesome it sounds.

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Got my copy, think I might take a break from Heavy Rain in a bit to check it out. I'm actually really really stoked to play it. How is everyone liking it? I can't believe how fucking awesome it sounds.

I'm about halfway through chapter 1 I think and I'm still enjoying it a lot more than I thought I would, under the intentionally cheesy dialogue there's actually an intriguing murder story. Also, the driving mechanics can take some getting used to and the map isn't really all that helpful without being able to set a way point but those are my only real complaints. I was really surprised with how much fun I'm actually having with the game even though it has its faults. It's really nice to have a game set in the countryside too, feels like a nice breath of fresh air.

Nemesis_

randomwab said:
Know anything about a Euro release, Shane? Really dying to get a hold of this, especially after all the positive impressions I've seen knocking about.

PLEASEEEEEEEE ANSWER THIS

^____________^

I don't really want to pay $70US for the JP version when it launches on PS3. =/

iammeiam

Slowly picking my way through episode 2 now, and will likely put it on hiatus for Heavy Rain in the near future (Apparently HR is getting spoiled all over the place, highly doubt I'm going to have to worry about that with this game), but am pleased with a few things:

You get more solo car conversations in the new episode; about halfway through episode 1 I'd exhausted the options and so would get just generic humming/whistling/etc when hitting "Talk" while alone in the car. Not only does episode 2 add a new batch of 'conversations', they even sort of end on name-that-film-cliffhangers.

For anyone concerned about the game opening up, shortly into episode two they intentionally introduce a substantial block of time in which you're free to screw around without having to worry about offending anyone. I think I wound up with like 10 hours, and since the game functions on 'real' time, it should be more than enough to clear out a ton of side missions. One or two of these an episode should give you more than enough time to do and see everything without negative story repercussions.

Sigourney may actually wind up my favorite character. She only has one shoe! I have no idea if she's ever going to have a point, but will pull over to talk to her whenever I can. This game was made for YouTube moments.

randomwab

Nemesis556 said:
PLEASEEEEEEEE ANSWER THIS

^____________^

I don't really want to pay $70US for the JP version when it launches on PS3. =/

LiquidSwords said:
Pretty sure that Rising Star Games is on track to release it as 'Deadly Premonition' in Europe in the Spring timeframe. I'll do some digging to see if it's still on track.

So good. Thanks!

So Emily sez we should go to the Diner to talk to some dude. I sez "fuck off" and wander away. So I drive around, do a bit of shopping, and buy a map. The dude behind the counter suddenly cuts on the mood lighting and tells this tragic tale that involves the tunnel.

So anyway I go to check out and it's a series of rooms filled with fiends. I waste them easily collecting a bunch of loot along the way(for a Survival Horror game they're certainly generous with the ammo). At the end I score a SMG with unlimited ammo! It even has double the clipsize of the regular SMG. For some reason it's labeled red..hmm wonder what that means.

There's lots of little side-missions to perform. For the most part they seem to be incredibly easy and some of the rewards are even pretty swell. Like doing jobs for the Panda Bear will net you discounts, doing jobs for the mechanic will get you car upgrades, etc. Hopefully there's some sort of New Game+ so I can go back and get them all though. =/

Oh yeah also bought some new suits. Rocking a pink suit now with hearts on the tie.

There's also a major Twin Peaks reference.
Find a way into Anna's room and on her wall will be a photo of the murder victim from the series. It's low-res as heck but easily noticeable.

I just got into my first section where I get to stay out late at night and didn't know what happens that late, oh man it really scared the crap out of me just driving around. :lol

PepsimanVsJoe said:

This game is amazing.

LOL!
Any videos of this?
That seriously makes me want to get this game

I can't find a video but I can confirm it, I saw the woman's house as well and there is definitely a giant burn mark above her stove and some gross looking dishes in her sink. Going around and peeking into windows is so weird, somehow it doesn't surprise me that it's in the game.

PepsimanVsJoe said:
The dude behind the counter suddenly cuts on the mood lighting and tells this tragic tale that involves the tunnel.
I loved that moment when York is, like, momentarily stunned as the light changes and the rocker basically takes on the visage of a camp counselor relaying a fire-side tale of terror. :lol That was cool as hell.

The game really opens up well in the second episode with a lot more opportunities to see and do all of the things...and they are totally worth checking out for their gameplay elements, as you say. I just appreciated buying a fast, better-handling red convertible complete with rock muzak constantly blaring and getting some easy upgrade for added pick-up from The General. Also, this game is pretty long. Better and better. Found a skeletal hand at the logging site, but haven't been bothered to present it at the proper place or to the proper character for whatever it does (George or Ushuah?) and have been running around with it on my person, doing my FBI thing, for at least a day or so now... The more I play this, the more I love it. Honestly, I'm wondering if the IGN reviewer even bothered to actually play past the first episode and didn't just grab his info from the internets to make that quick 'n dirty review...

dark10x said:
I can't tell if this is a big joke or if people are really enjoying it.
I'm totally enjoying it. No lie. This is one of most fascinatingly presented titles I've played on console in a long time. It's flawed, to be sure, but it is excellent for achieving a real sense of murder-mystery-horror adventure...that things are constantly churning and changing, story-wise, and that characters aren't static stereotypes to be cast in stone...things get weird...all the time. Get past some of the clunkiness and just enjoy it like one would enjoy a classic B-movie.

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
Wow, haven't even heard of this game but I must buy it now. Sounds very intriguing.

MightyHedgehog said:
I'm totally enjoying it. No lie. This is one of most fascinatingly presented titles I've played on console in a long time. It's flawed, to be sure, but it is excellent for achieving a real sense of murder-mystery-horror adventure...that things are constantly churning and changing, story-wise, and that characters aren't static stereotypes to be cast in stone...things get weird...all the time. Get past some of the clunkiness and just enjoy it like one would enjoy a classic B-movie.

Gotta agree with this statement right here. When I first started it, the flaws were vastly apparent, hell... the game didn't even grab me immediatly. Now that I've played about 5 hours and just got to episode 2, I'm loving it. The flaws, while still there have sorta dissapeared in my eyes. Wether I have adjusted or not, now I'm definetly enjoying the game even more. For me, its a bold thing when I can put down Heavy Rain after 2 hours and play this and still find it highly enjoyable even after playing something else of such a high quality standard. (granted I only had to stop Heavy Rain because a buddy is going through it with me so I don't play it when he isn't around.)

Overall Deadly Premontion has a slow burn at first but it seems its picking up. Now that someone confirmed that the second episode is really letting you explore and do side quests, etc, is good to hear! Seems like the first episode was a introduction of sorts.

Wow, so many positive impressions! Looks like only the IGN reviewer has had a negative experience with the game but they lost their integrity a long time ago

I'm looking forward to this one and hoping my copy arrives today

Koopakiller said:
Wow, so many positive impressions! Looks like only the IGN reviewer has had a negative experience with the game but they lost their integrity a long time ago

I'm looking forward to this one and hoping my copy arrives today

I really doubt IGN is the only reviewer who is going to totally shit on this game.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
It really has atmosphere? Even with that wildly inappropriate music that seems to play all the time? All of the footage makes it seem like it would be good in the same that Big Rigs and Sniper: Path of Vengeance are. Good for a laugh, but not much more.

I dunno, even with these positive impressions, I'm not sure I could overlook some of the issues. The second Zettai Zetsumei Toshi game, for instance (Raw Danger in the US) was so janky and messed up that it absolutely ruined whatever good things the game could have had going for it (for me). It just looked so terrible and felt so un-fun to play. I can totally enjoy janky ass games from time to time (like Alone in the Dark or Tomb Raider - Angel of Darkness), but they have to get SOMETHING right.

I'll keep an eye on this out of curiosity, I suppose.

dark10x said:
It really has atmosphere? Even with that wildly inappropriate music that seems to play all the time? All of the footage makes it seem like it would be good in the same that Big Rigs and Sniper: Path of Vengeance are. Good for a laugh, but not much more.

I dunno, even with these positive impressions, I'm not sure I could overlook some of the issues. The second Zettai Zetsumei Toshi game, for instance (Raw Danger in the US) was so janky and messed up that it absolutely ruined whatever good things the game could have had going for it (for me). It just looked so terrible and felt so un-fun to play. I can totally enjoy janky ass games from time to time (like Alone in the Dark or Tomb Raider - Angel of Darkness), but they have to get SOMETHING right.

I'll keep an eye on this out of curiosity, I suppose.

I think as someone posted earlier that this is a game you either will click with and look past the obvious low budget issues, or your going to simple hate it. If your able to get it for $20 dollars, the us retail price, I'd say its worth taking a chance and seeing if you enjoy it. Unless you can gamefly it or something. As I stated above, the game felt just odd to me and very much not what what I was expecting. Mix that in with the oddness of it all, the obvious issues the game does indeed have, and everything else, my first impressions were somewhat mixed though was more positive due to the odd nature of the game.

Though now that I have played 5 hours and have gotten a grasp on what the game is like, what to expect (sorta, you really never know some of what they are going to do or say!) now I appreciate and flow with the game much better. Car handling still sucks and the driving to get to one place to another thats far can take awhile but those are my biggest main issues. Combat is somewhat sluggish but I've adjusted. With all that though, I know how the game feels now. I now know that everytime I pick a item up it goes to the item screen for a few seconds. I know that I get flies around me when I start to stink, I know that I get major stuble if I don't shave. I know to expect the unexpected now and with this sorta mentality I'm just taking it all in for the story and the vibe. I've haven't seen a wierder cast of characters in a game in a longggggg time. That speaks for the main character as well. So for me all these things add up to being a game unlike most out on the market. I like that. Just sucks it happens to be low budget, but I'll take what I can get.

Clevinger

dark10x said:

Humor is a giant part of the game and a lot of the inappropriate music is intentional, like the playful diddy that's playing when Agent York describes a horrific serial killer case he was just on.

Even though the humor's pretty great, there's still an interesting murder mystery and a giant cast of interesting characters.

I'd say if you're having trouble even with all the positive impressions, then maybe the game just isn't for you. I think it'll only click with a very select few of people.

I really wasn't expecting myself to like the game as much as I do, it really has this odd charm and its cast of characters always seem to make me laugh. Yeah, it has a few problems that can annoy me, like the map without being able to set a beacon or the awkward driving. Regardless of that however I am really enjoying myself slowly unraveling the mystery in the game and watching the characters react to everything that I discover, It's a fun game and is definitely worth checking out at the budget price. I'm having a lot more fun with this game than some AAA titles and I love the backside of country represented in the game, it feels like a breath of fresh air from every game with buildings or a bunch of brown. To me at least.

Mr_Guillotine said:
I really wasn't expecting myself to like the game as much as I do, it really has this odd charm and its cast of characters always seem to make me laugh. Yeah, it has a few problems that can annoy me, like the map without being able to set a beacon or the awkward driving. Regardless of that however I am really enjoying myself slowly unraveling the mystery in the game and watching the characters react to everything that I discover, It's a fun game and is definitely worth checking out at the budget price. I'm having a lot more fun with this game than some AAA titles and I love the backside of country represented in the game, it feels like a breath of fresh air from every game with buildings or a bunch of brown. To me at least.

Yeah I gotta say the vibe of being in a small town out in the middle of a forest is done surprisingly well. Which in reality when I have to drive a big distance from one place to another, seems fitting in a realistic manner. I've been to some small ass towns with stuff widespread like that.

Clevinger said:
Humor is a giant part of the game and a lot of the inappropriate music is intentional, like the playful diddy that's playing when Agent York describes a horrific serial killer case he was just on.

Yeah this part was great. Loved how he talks about how unsanitary it was and they just state how they think thats the least of their concerns lol.

I keep trying to hit it off with Friona Freckles but apparently she only has eyes for Usher..errr Ushah Johnson. Oh well maybe I'll sneak by her place some night and check out her routine.

Went by Emily's house and it's like all she does is watch TV. She watches this hee-haw sounding crap too from what it sounds like. She'll watch it for a minute or two, start to get tired, almost fall asleep, get up, and I dunno I guess she does that for a few hours.

Oh and I also scored a wrench with infinite durability or something. This'll be great for all of those crates that don't have exploding barrels sitting next to them.

Oh yeah digging the encounters with
raincoat dude.
So far I've been involved in two instances where I had to hide from him and run away while he hunts me down.
Those damn QTEs kill me though. Continued four times now and all of them due to crappy QTEs.

I really need to get around to checking out the happenings at night. I still have another bar to visit plus more creepy stalker stuff.

eXistor

Goddammit, I just got the game in but I just found out it's regionlocked :(. I was quickly googling the game and I saw mention that it was regionfree, so I ordered the game at once. I should've done some more digging... Oh well, now to wait on the Euro release.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
For those interested in the PS3 version (and in English too!)

http://www.siliconera.com/2010/02/24/yes-you-can-play-deadly-premonition-in-english-on-ps3/

Ignition is only releasing Deadly Premonition as an Xbox 360 game in North America. In Asia, it’s known as Red Seeds Profile and it’s a multiplatform game.

Sony Computer Entertainment Hong Kong notes the PlayStation 3 release has a language option. You can play Red… I mean Deadly Premonition in Japanese or English if you get the “Asian” version. Of course, you’ll have to import it and that will cost way more than a domestic copy of Deadly Premonition.

Deadly Premonition is in stores now and only $20 here.

Clevinger

I'd wait a while before resorting to that, since it was apparently rated by the ESRB.

Also, if it's just subtitles then I really wouldn't bother with it, because York's voice acting kind of almost makes the game and I can't imagine it without it.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Clevinger said:
I'd wait a while before resorting to that, since it was apparently rated by the ESRB.

Also, if it's just subtitles then I really wouldn't bother with it, because York's voice acting kind of almost makes the game and I can't imagine it without it.

I just checked it but it was for X360 only, apparently.

MiniDitka said:
I cant get that whistling song out of my head :lol

Yeah and the damn saxaphone music always kills me. I swear, I always think someone farted or something when that first blurt goes out. That damn music!

Top Bottom