• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deadly Premonition |OT| first real survival-horror for X360

PepsimanVsJoe said:
So I wander into Gamestop and boom a copy of Deadly Premonition.
I buy it and then find out that Amazon has shipped my copy of Deadly Premonition. They told me March 1st was the estimated date the fuckers.

Oh well guess I'm doing Ignition a favor.

Play it now, and when the copy you have from Amazon comes in either take that copy back with the Gamestop receipt and bam! or sell it/give it to a buddy! :D

Sounds surprisingly fantastic. Better find its way to Europe.
Relaxed Muscle said:
(I think Mangod said that a EU release was due to this summer, it's a MMV game so the chances of Rising Star bringing the game to EU are pretty high)
Hope.

Honestly, it feels like anyone that enjoys the horror genre NEEDS to support Ignition/devs by buying this. I mean come on, it's $20 dollars! That's like lunch money these days. Just like Demon's Souls, we need more titles that really do things differently. After watching some gameplay videos, I'm just amazed that I had no idea about this game. I didn't even realize that this was the previously announced Rainy Woods. Every generation there are titles that stand out, regardless of technical flaws, and these are the games that really need everyone's support. Fuck, I mean, just watching that one video with York in that small room and the angel twins -- fucking crazy. It's such a surreal image that it alone justifies what the team was trying to do. Considering the amount of content/gameplay in this one, I will be quite forgiving because this is really going to be something.

On top of that, I'm still wondering about the art style. It definitely is reminiscient of Kaneko's work; can anyone actually confirm that this is what the game looks like? I'd love to see that art style imagined in HD. *drools*

Sorry for the ramble.

randomwab

Someone needs to compile a list of games like this. Every now and then, I stumble onto one and it's amazing when I find them. Games like SOS and Raw Danger, Siren, Bug Island, Gregory Horror Show, EDF and so on. I need a list to just start picking from.

Alright played the game for a couple hours.

-The controls are a bit tricky to get used to. It's RE4-styled but not quite as polished. So far it's been pretty simple. Lock-on, aim for the head, kill. When not aiming York can hold his breath which makes himself invisible to the bad guys. This even works if a bad guy spots you and you're in clear view when you decide to hold your breath.
-I'm hoping the game really opens up soon. You're free to go anywhere in-between destinations but there's a timelimit(which is really quite generous). Cars also require gas and at $5 a gallon it's rather pricey. Thankfully these cars are pretty hardy and can take quite a bit of punishment before catching on fire and exploding. Unfortunately I didn't cause much in the way of chaos cause there are penalties for vandalism.
-There's also penalties for attempting to kill someone. I couldn't pull it off though cause everyone dodged my bullets and pipe-swings with little effort.
-When driving alone York will start going on about 80s movies. So far he hasn't said much of anything deep though. He's just naming off directors and actors and saying stuff like "Yeah he/she was great." I guess I was expecting American Psycho here.
-Car controls take awhile to get used to btw.

For some odd reason I think this game was developed by the guys behind Illbleed. It would be nice if true cause it shows they've improved at game design quite a bit.

iammeiam

So at six hours and fifty minutes of total play time, I finally finished episode 1. I should note that probably a good two to three of that was me either leaving the screen up while not actively playing, or just tooling around town getting lost. Realistically a normal playthrough would probably only take three or four hours.

Aside from the ongoing WTF factor, there are some interesting things about the game as a game:

- As far as I can tell, the game-world time passes 1:1 or pretty damned close to with real time. So if you've got, say, a five hour window before needing to complete the next piece of the story, you really can screw around for multiple hours doing whatever you want. There is a way to super-fast-forward through blocks of time, so it's not like you're stuck waiting the whole time, but it was a nice way to give you breathing room. It also helps with the open-world aspect, since you don't have to block off three hours of game time to drive for five minutes to get to the other side of the map.

- The NPC schedules are better realized than I was expecting. While I'm sure most of it is characters running through the same locations at the same times every day, I was really entertained when, towards the end of episode 1, a town meeting is called and (not a plot spoiler, just an unexpected surprise)
about an hour beforehand the NPCs start leaving their places of business/homes/whatever, getting in their cars, and driving to the meeting location. Since the 'suspects' are all always tagged with name indicators, you could actually tail them all to the meeting, which they drive to in an orderly fashion and apparently following the speed limit. Since you have a two-hour window in which to trigger the start of the meeting, I was kind of expecting them to just teleport in when you started the sequence, so that they all actually were waiting for you to show up was kind of cool.

- The Zach thing, while still pretty bizarre, actually sort of fits after a while. As weird as it is to watch the guy talk to nobody, him taking advice from Zach makes about as much sense as any other justification for letting a player dictate a character's actions.

Of course, the whole "this game is FREAKING WEIRD" aspect is still totally present. I accidentally apparently let my guy get very unhygienic and the game didn't say anything about it, I had to eventually work out that the flys were following him around.

Also I met a woman named Sigourney who just yelled at me repeatedly: "My pot is getting cold! My pot is getting cold!" while holding some kind of covered pot. She's so insane the main character takes time to tell his invisible friend she's a whackjob.

Why am I not surprised?
This is just one of those games that every major site is going to crap on in order to preserve their "credibility".

Sure the game is flawed that much is obvious but it's still very much a game and considering the budget it's quite an ambitious title and from what I've played the core mechanics and design are solid enough.

Clevinger said:
Some douchenozzle over at IGN gave the game a 2.

What a shame; some people are just fucking boneheads. The thing is is that people will read that review and agree with him because they are too fucking dumb to formulate their own opinion on the game. I don't think the reviewer took much time to absorb the game; I haven't played it yet but from what I have seen in videos it looks to be at the very least a 5, if you want to be a fucking dick about it. I can't believe some people get paid to write reviews like that for a living.

Shamrock

Banned
Well I'm one to judge games for myself, but I watched a 3 minute gameplay video on IGN and this game just looks like it's terrible. Saying it has PS2 graphics might be a compliment.

Also nothing like the cop car that tops out at 60mph:lol I really don't think this game will have that naked gun effect where it's so bad it's good. From what I seen it's just bad.

Gameplay

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
For 20 dllrs, I think its a good game, plan to buy it this month, but first I need to get Heavy Rain and get it out of my system! :D

Only a 2? Did they even play the game? I don't really have a problem with anything besides the driving controls everything else is fun and kinda has this really weird charm to it, the world itself and the cheesy music it plays during conversations while getting to know the townspeople is great. It's really fun and at least worth a try.

iammeiam

I sort of wonder if the IGN review was some guy looking for a 'real' survival horror experience, because Deadly Premonition is a lot of things but not, so far, that.

It's interesting to contrast the 2 they're giving Deadly Premonition with the 7.5 Raw Danger received in 2008.

Most of the complaints are really, really similar (crap graphics, the controls kind of suck, etc), but Raw Danger walks off with a decent overall, while Deadly Premonition is now tied with My Horse & Me 2, 15 Puzzle, and Yaris for 2nd lowest 360 game review score on GameRankings.

Wanting to be all "YOU'RE REVIEWING THE GAME WRONG!" makes me feel like the epitome of internet game nerd but, well, they're reviewing the game wrong. The RD review seems to fit to me, because it talks about the game in terms of what it is; the Deadly Premonition is more focused on what it's not trying to be.

I mean, maybe the wackiness dies after the first episode. I'm guessing no, because immediately upon leaving my hotel room at the start of episode two some guy's dog comes up and
runs off with the hand-bone and skull I'd found the day before; the guy's just like "LOL yeah kiss those goodbye, he never gives bones back, later!" and so now I have a mission to go search a doghouse
, but maybe it does. The review doesn't cover that aspect, so I have no idea if it all goes joyless or what.

But as long as it keeps the random "Zach, here's what I think about a movie you haven't thought of in 15 years..." conversations, or the "Share an FBI story? Sure, the last case I was on was a guy who decapitated three women and then
drank from their skulls. Which I didn't have a problem with, but the skulls he'd relieve himself in? He'd drink from those too!
Which was just insane; not remotely sanitary!" conversations, I'll keep being entertained.

Shamrock said:
Well I'm one to judge games for myself, but I watched a 3 minute gameplay video on IGN and this game just looks like it's terrible. Saying it has PS2 graphics might be a compliment.

Also nothing like the cop car that tops out at 60mph:lol I really don't think this game will have that naked gun effect where it's so bad it's good. From what I seen it's just bad.

Gameplay
What? That looks awesome.

*stares into the void*
"And today we're stuck here having to search for lost children."
"They're not lost. We're the ones who are lost."
"And so we are Emily!"
*ridiculously creepy grin*
Whispers to imaginary friend in his head: "We may as well have fun if we're getting lost."
*creepy grin continues throughout the scene*

The world does admittedly appear to be a bit too large for its own good, I'll give you that.

tmarques

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Why am I not surprised?
This is just one of those games that every major site is going to crap on in order to preserve their "credibility".

Let's not forget the fact that the publisher can't afford to advertise the game on IGN.

tmarques

Shamrock said:
I really don't think this game will have that naked gun effect where it's so bad it's good. From what I seen it's just bad.

I disagree. I just watched the video and the insanely inappropriate music sold me.

eXistor

This is probably gonna be one of those games where if you get it, you'll love it, if you don't, you'll hate it.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
randomwab said:

2.0 ouch

IGN said:
Deadly Premonition is the definition of a system seller. Once you play it, you'll want to go sell your system

smh , even if the game is very bad this comment is just dump.

IGN said:
Deadly Premonition isn't very difficult, but it should be mentioned that it is possible to find yourself stuck in a situation with no recourse. Missions can't be restarted (they can be replayed, but it kicks you back to the main menu after the replay rather than allowing you to continue on) and the game only allows a single save file. If you happen upon a tough boss battle -- which will only be tough because of how poorly the game controls -- and find yourself low on health and ammo, you may just have to give up and start over. Or quit.

just 1 save file , for this kind of game , and you can just replay one mission continue , the fuck is this shit , pass , I guess I will wait for Alan Wake for my mystery and Horror fix.

The original trailers had me disgusted by how closely "inspired" the game is by Twin Peaks... but I dunno. I kind of want to play this now that I know it's low-budget. What kind of sense does that make? :lol

iammeiam said:
I'm going to go ahead and call the game a must-buy for fans of Disaster Report/Raw Danger. Or at least those who really appreciated being able to kill a guy and take his chef's hat, because that sort of sensibility seems to be guiding Deadly Premonition so far. I'm still iffy on its ultimate success as survival horror, but as entertainment it's pretty great.

This sounds amazing.

He does have a point about the lack of multiple save-places. Then again on the Easy setting at least I've found more than enough bandages to go around(that is if I ever actually need them, I've taken no damage in all of the areas I've been through), there are some spots with unlimited food and even beds as well.

Man I'm still in episode one. Holy crap. I fell asleep during the town meeting part. Good lord. It was late and I needed to sleep fast!

So yeah. This game is going to take me awhile I think. I did manage to do two side quests that took place in the victims houses. That was cool. Will see how long this damn game lasts.

Might be awhile till I get back to this though. Gonna be trying to trot through Heavy Rain.:D but I can say I'm enjoying Deadly Premonition. Its flawed of course, I'd never say it wasn't but the feelings, the oddness, the quirkiness, the plot, the character you meet. Its all really weird but for me thats a good thing. I really need to clean my suit right now. I've got a bunch of flies around me now! :lol

As for the one save point issue. I've played on normal and not had really any tough spots arise yet, though again, still on Episode 1. And speaking of Illbleed as others have pointed out, it does indeed give me that vibe somewhat as well. I loved Illbleed.

Honestly, anyone waiting for the judgment of a major review source, like IGN, on this game, really shouldn't have bothered waiting. You take a chance on it and/or try it for yourself, or you don't. It's not some hidden masterpiece, but it is a cheap and very memorable good time for people who don't have an automatic aversion to relatively flawed, low-budget titles. It's all about teh experience, mang. And the earlier comparison to Illbleed is great...it does feel a bit like that, though thankfully, much better.

Nemesis_

It pains me that I will probably never get to play this now unless I buy a US 360.

And I really don't want to buy a console for Deadly Premonition.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Bought it.

The instruction manual is thick. 60 pages (bilingual; 30 english, 30 french) on really thick paper stock. Amazing that a $19.99 game can pay more attention to this shit that AAA EA releases which get 10 pages on toilet paper stock.

Also surprised to see the case is not an eco-friendly case. I guess they still produce the old ones?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Not impressed with IGN missing the point. Not surprised, either.

I do take solace in that I've managed to open up a lot of peoples' eyes about this game. I hope they too can find the joy and fun I've found in this insane game, and love it for what it is. :lol

Nemesis556 said:
It pains me that I will probably never get to play this now unless I buy a US 360.

And I really don't want to buy a console for Deadly Premonition.

Can't you just wait till the japan copy is released on ps3? You'll have to pay the higher price but least you won't have to buy a system for it. Plus it will be called Red Seeds Profile... *edit* Or maybe you don't have a ps3, but for some reason I thought you did!

I'm actually not much of a fan of the quirky games..at least usually.

-Hated Illbleed
-Despised Contact
-Not the biggest NMH fan
-Couldn't get into Godhand(at least not enough to replace my PS2 cause it can't play the game that well)

I think with a lot of these games it requires some sort of "connection" where everything has to align into place. If that happens most likely I'll love it.
With DP there's that possibility as while I couldn't give two shits about the 80s movie talk and the CSI stuff there are just those moments that charm the heck out of me.

For example(minor spoiler but whatever)
During the interview where the twin boys describe the scene of where they found the body it's set to first person. Rather than look at the kids I spent the entire time staring at the Deputy Sheriff's ass.

I thought about playing a drinking game whenever the sheriff does his "Feh. Whatever!" arm wave but I figured I'd be completely trashed before the end of the first episode.

randomwab

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Can't you just wait till the japan copy is released on ps3? You'll have to pay the higher price but least you won't have to buy a system for it. Plus it will be called Red Seeds Profile... *edit* Or maybe you don't have a ps3, but for some reason I thought you did!

Do we know if the Japanese version will have English text? If so, then I'll import the PS3 version (presuming the Japanese 360 version is also Region Locked).

Hey NeoGaf, Deadly Premonition should now be available nationwide at multiple retailers for $19.99

And this is the DP trailer that you've been waiting for: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/launch-trailer-deadly-premonition/62228

Please enjoy its unique charms, and don't forget to read the informative blogs by the game's creator, Swery, located on www.deadlypremonition.com
Oh, and I have a ton of these trading cards if the creator of the OP is interested!

m_tc001.jpg

m_tc008.jpg

Aske

This sounds fantastic. I'll buy the first copy I see. Have any other Canadians seen this game north of the border yet?

Kevtones

Yay Shane! I straight up impulse bought this game due to the Twin Peaks referencing in this thread :D

Also, is it just me or does Emily Wyatt look like Naomi Watts in that photo?

randomwab

Know anything about a Euro release, Shane? Really dying to get a hold of this, especially after all the positive impressions I've seen knocking about.

I went to GameStop today but they said they only got two copies in and they were both sold. Ordered it on Amazon instead, can't wait for it to arrive.

Drove around at 7:00 am and peaked into people's houses. :lol
Watched a family eat breakfast.

I went by the Deputy Sheriff's house and peeked into her kitchen. Wow she's a horrible cook. There was a spot behind the oven where she apparently set a small fire and a freaking knife was stuck in the wall.

I also checked out Thomas' place and his room had records scattered everywhere and what looked like women's clothing.

This game is amazing.

I just purchased a copy of this based on the GAF impressions. Thanks to Amazon Prime I'll have it on Thursday.

I'm looking forward to playing after I finish my first run through Heavy Rain!

Top Bottom