• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Death Note' Feature Film Lands at Netflix

Status
Not open for further replies.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Netflix is in final negotiations to pick up Adam Wingard’s “Death Note,” continuing to bolster its feature film slate.

The pic stars “Paper Towns” actor Nat Wolff and Margaret Qualley and was originally at Warner Bros. before being put into turnaround at the studio.

STX and Lionsgate were among the other studios looking at the property, but Netflix is poised to come out on top with a June start date being eyed for production. While the deal is not expected to reach the same price levels as those for “War Machine” or “Bright,” the price should fall in the $40-$50 million dollar range.

Based on the Japanese Manga series, Wolff plays a student who discovers a supernatural notebook that allows him to kill anyone simply by writing the victim’s name. A cat-and-mouse game ensues when he’s tracked by a reclusive police officer.

All according to keikaku

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/netflix-adam-wingard-death-note-nat-wolff-1201737852/

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
I'm eager to see the future where American media starts adapting anime/manga wholesale, like the comic book fad. I wonder how audiences will react to the content and how they'll react when you say "you like an anime lol".

RedBoot

Huh, I guess the series has a lot of views on Netflix.

This'll actually get the damn thing made, at least.

studyguy

7725161_orig.png

I still think Nat Wolff is horribly miscast. The best thing I can say for him is that he is very John Cusacky at best and Ted Mosebyish at worst. He has no business playing Light. I have not seen anything from him that suggests that he would be charming and Mr. Popular high school student.

Brb, let me find my prediction from the previous Death Note movie thread.

Light is supposed to be the handsome popular kid. Without any evidence to support the following claim, I think they are going to purposefully change him to a socially awkward and possibly bullied outcast like many of the various school shooters of the last few years. Using the Death Note would be him exacingt revenge on who he feels is evil.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
Kinda wanted to see this in theaters, but it's good that Netflix is interested in it. How well do Netflix movies usually do?

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Well, the chance that I'll actually watch this just went up.

How expensive would quality Ryuk CGI be? Too much for a netflix movie or is a single character model not that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things?

Protein

Banned
I'm eager to see the future where American media starts adapting anime/manga wholesale, like the comic book fad. I wonder how audiences will react to the content and how they'll react when you say "you like an anime lol".

I hope HBO gets Berserk then.

Edit: and then I realized the budget.

iammeiam

I'm bummed the Monster project never came to fruition, but the one that really surprises me is the lack of an American live action Liar Game. There are just certain manga properties that ideal for a cable adaptation and LG is one of them.

Netflix Death Note seems interesting but there are some aspect I assume they'll change if they want to be taken seriously.

I still think Nat Wolff is horribly miscast. The best thing I can say for him is that he is very John Cusacky at best and Ted Mosebyish at worst. He has no business playing Light. I have not seen anything from him that suggests that he would be charming and Mr. Popular high school student.

Brb, let me find my prediction from the previous Death Note movie thread.

That would sort of kill the irony of Light, though. He thinks he is perfect enough to lead the world and kill the inferior, but. . .he just starts killing anyone who pisses him off and has a plan to kill everyone including his family. Never all that sympathetic on a personal level, just interesting.

A severely bullied kid, on the other hand, unless he is bullied for talking like Light thinks in public, is immediately sympathetic.

That would sort of kill the irony of Light, though. He thinks he is perfect enough to lead the world and kill the inferior, but. . .he just starts killing anyone who pisses him off and has a plan to kill everyone including his family. Never all that sympathetic on a personal level, just interesting.

A severely bullied kid, on the other hand, unless he is bullied for talking like Light thinks in public, is immediately sympathetic.

They are already white washing Light, it would not surprise me to see more changed. I could see a lot of people not being able to believe or stomach the idea of the charismatic highschool boy everyone likes is actually a psychopath with a god complex. It wouldn't gel with what a lot of people think school age killers are.

tomtom94

Would make a lot of sense for Netflix to have an established IP. The major question is will they be able to convince the theatre chains to run it (and for that matter, will it be an issue?)

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I hope HBO gets Berserk then.

Edit: and then I realized the budget.

I would have said no way in hell when they didn't have the balls to pull the trigger on Preacher years ago. Now though? Once Game of Thrones finally wraps up in a few years and if they can't find another break out hit along the way and maybe some other Western anime adaptation knocks it out of the park in the US to give them some confidence in the idea then maybe I could see it. It certainly has a scene to out do anything even in Game of Thrones that would sear itself into the minds of the unspoiled and unsuspecting viewers and keep them frothing to see what comes next.

Honestly though, unless they get show runners who know the material and willing to go the extra mile to adapt it properly with a huge talented cast for the screen I fear for what we would could get . I'd almost rather an expensive western animation along the lines of Batman TAS in terms of series adult oriented animation that isn't focused on comedy. Give it amazingly animated battles, a score to match the one from the original anime series and I'm in.

Gorillaz

Zac Effron would be a fun ass choice now that I think of it

he ain't gonna do a live adaptation of a fucking anime tho so that dream is dead

You joke but... I could see it happening.

The whole surveillance scene with the chip bag is a product placer's wet dream. Gratuitous zooms on the bag, Light eating the delicious chips, people commenting on what the chips are.

I think the Lays sponsorship department slightly came in their pants.

El Topo

If I look at the various projects Netflix spends its money on I have a hard time believing that their programming strategy is fundamentally based on a thorough analysis of data.
Still, could be worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom