• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RIP: Death Note USA headed to Netflix, Fant4stic writer wrote the script.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eusis

What a weir roller-coaster this film as been through. I'll watch the final product, but I'm in no way excited for it anymore.
The thread itself is one. Oh SHIT it's the F4 guy wait they trashed his script and he fought against WB to keep Light as a bad guy? There is hope yet!

What's the point. The Death Note craze has gone years ago, now you only have a movie about a series that had an universally hated ending. You could make a tv series I guess, but again, what's the point? We already have Death Note. The only way would be to actually improve the story, but I doubt they will.
Loud 1% thinking they are the main voice

giphy.gif

Boy those sure are the whitest-looking Japanese people I've ever seen. Seriously this shit is just ridiculous and I know barely anything about Death Note, doesn't help that Nat Wolff has the most blandest face I've ever seen.

Walpurgis

Banned
Looking and sounding more and more like another Dragon Ball: Evolution. And now that it's releasing on Netflix, I can't laugh while it bombs at the box office. Stupid WB.

Samimista

I don't usually like to complain about casting, but Natt Wolf as Light? Really?

I always find it weird seeing Natt Wolf in anything since I remember him on Nickelodeon like a decade ago, lol. Used to watch his show with a girl I babysat.

Anyways, I was gonna have an open mind about this, but I'm apprehensive due to the writer.

I kind of have more faith in this as a Netflix production rather than a WB one. They've been pretty good to work with creatively from every person I've ever heard talk about it. Also The Guest is awesome.

Servbot24

Banned
What's the point. The Death Note craze has gone years ago, now you only have a movie about a series that had an universally hated ending. You could make a tv series I guess, but again, what's the point? We already have Death Note. The only way would be to actually improve the story, but I doubt they will.

People hated the ending? I thought they were just meh on the mid-section of the second part/series.

tomtom94

People hated the ending? I thought they were just meh on the mid-section of the second part/series.

Yeah, this (i think it might be a split between fans of the manga and the anime). Although I think there's a slight worry that Hollywood will follow the Japanese adaptations (which I believe changed the ending?) or otherwise fuck it up.

I can't believe this still needs to be said, but this movie and just about every adaptation whether that's from an anime, a manga, a comic book, a novel, etc is to attract a wider audience that's not interested in ever experiencing the source material. Believe it or not, there very likely is a large audience that would be interested in this story that will never in their life watch an anime or read a manga.

It's like asking why we need an Iron Man movie when there are so many comics that have already explored the character and told stories on a deeper level than a movie will ever be able to portray.

While I'm initially disappointed, this could still be good. The casting of L is what's most important. Hopefully that is done well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom