• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Principal photography for the Death Note film has begun + Light Turner name change

Status
Not open for further replies.
The core premise is the notebook's abilities, it's abuse, and the cat and mouse game that results from it. The fact that Ryuk exists and is the one who dropped it are entirely incidental to the main plot. It might actually be beneficial to drop Ryuk since he's a cartoony grim reaper in a supernatural crime thriller, and he spends most of the plot doing little of consequence other than being there.

This man is correct.

Zomba13

If Ryuk was in it he'd have to be named Roger or something.

Also, those Japanese live action Detah Note movies were pretty good. You know, outside of Ryuk looking suuuuper low budget and cartoony. The Ryuk posted earlier looks much better.

Galang

Banned
L's casting is actually a really cool choice... somewhat intrigued now. Wish Light was asian, but hopefully Misa will be at least...

Edwins

Yep, the Shinigami aren't important and don't need to be in this. Oh wait, they're adapting Misa, a character Light only keeps around because of a special power she got from the Shinigami. The Shinigami aren't important in Death Note. FFS

Yep, the Shinigami aren't important and don't need to be in this. Oh wait, they're adapting Misa, a character Light only keeps around because of a special power she got from the Shinigami. The Shinigami aren't important in Death Note. FFS

You can replace that part with having a rule in the book saying "get the ability to see every one's name for half your life!"

And then they can actually do the plot service
when L is killed

Edwins

If Ryuk was in it he'd have to be named Roger or something.

Also, those Japanese live action Detah Note movies were pretty good. You know, outside of Ryuk looking suuuuper low budget and cartoony. The Ryuk posted earlier looks much better.

That Ryuk is from the new Japanese movie, which is a sequel to the 2006 films. I'm not looking forward to it (and I absolutely love the 2006 films), but Ryuk certainly got an upgrade. Ten years is a freaking century in CG advancement.

L's casting is actually a really cool choice... somewhat intrigued now. Wish Light was asian, but hopefully Misa will be at least...

Misa is now Mia Sutton and is being played by Margaret Qualley

margaret-qualley.jpg

I know nothing of Death Note except the creepy dude who likes apples, so I have no bias of any original material. Hope it's worth a look.

Trike

Ezra Miller would've been my choice for L. Zach Efron for Light if he was younger. But this is also a Netflix anime/manga adaption, so we'll see how it goes.

The Japanese version was an award winning film that even netted Kenichi Matsuyama a nomination for best supporting actor from the Japanese Academy.[/SPOILER]

That says more about the Japanese Academy than about the movie.

That movie was horrible.

Once upon a time, David Bowie would have been perfect as Ryuk.

Ryuk actually does nothing for the plot.
He's the one that
alerted Light to the cameras that were placed in his house/room, wasn't he? Light would have been caught immediately if Ryuk hadn't brought it up.
But it's been a while, so I don't remember the exact details. And I think Ryuk helps us as the audience see how even more [adjective] Light is with some of their exchanges, like the one about what happens after you die, or after Light gets outsmarted. It's refreshing to see someone mostly impartial actually talking to Light, as opposed to us just hearing Light's internal monologue (which is also important). I sure as hell wouldn't want Misa being the only person he talked to about Death Note stuff.

But you aren't wrong. He's not critical to the plot, but he's a nice inclusion. It would suck if he weren't involved in this adaptation. His presence makes for some nice moments, like when
Near saw him but didn't acknowledge him when Light was about to be confirmed as Kira.

Man, I definitely have to reread all my manga now.

Bullshit. If a Japanese teenager locks himself in his room for hours claiming he's studying (while secretly murdering people with his supernatural notebook) it's actually reasonable to assume he's really studying.

If an American teenager says they're studying for hours on end while supernatural murders are going on you've found you're fucking serial killer.

Or he's on NeoGAF.

f7FdEdG.jpg

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
Ryuk isn't vital to the plot (for the most part, there are parts where Light uses him to complete tasks), but he does make the show more fun. Without him, Light would just be talking to himself 80% of the time.

Raonak

Banned
Well, it is an american adaption - it's not trying to stick to the cultural roots.
if they're casting american actors, it makes sense to change the names.

Light Turner sounds so stupid tho.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I was wondering why they casted someone so old for L until I checked and learned that Keith is only 24.

This is going to be so jarring compared to the korean one.

Edwins

He's the one that
alerted Light to the cameras that were placed in his house/room, wasn't he? Light would have been caught immediately if Ryuk hadn't brought it up.
But it's been a while, so I don't remember the exact details. And I think Ryuk helps us as the audience see how even more [adjective] Light is with some of their exchanges, like the one about what happens after you die, or after Light gets outsmarted. It's refreshing to see someone mostly impartial actually talking to Light, as opposed to us just hearing Light's internal monologue (which is also important). I sure as hell wouldn't want Misa being the only person he talked to about Death Note stuff.

Man, I definitely have to reread all my manga now.

Ryuk

-Sets the entire plot in motion by dropping the notebook into the human world.
-Wrote some of the rules into the inside cover to get somebody to actually use the book.
-Yes, Ryuk saved Light's ass with the cameras
-Actively assisted Light in his plans once more people started learning of the Death Note and touching it. He flat out lies for Light on multiple occasions.
-
Kills Light

And that's just a handful of the more important ones. Don't listen to these crazy people. Ryuk is central to the story. FFS, the new Japanese movie is going in the opposite direction. It's attempting to do a story with no Light or L, but the Shinigami are central to it. Death Notes can make it into the world without Light. They simply don't exist without Shinigami, and they can't be put into the world without a Shinigami doing it.

Edwins

I was wondering why they casted someone so old for L until I checked and learned that Keith is only 24.

This is going to be so jarring compared to the korean one.

Is that a typo, or did you actually see the Korean version of the Death Note musical?

Yes, Death Note had a Korean musical.

Not

Banned
Why can they never hire a fucking Japanese American

Dammit Hollywood. You're going to look back on this in twenty years so embarrassed of this bullshit.

rothgar

#NotMyKira

I just finished rewatching the series. Part of me wishes this and Monster could have just been shown on something like AMC in anime form if they got big name actors to do the voices and promoted properly.

Edwins

Well the Japanese adaptions made Watari and L Japanese.

Yep. They also made Penber into "Iwamatsu", though he was still FBI. Japan is made up almost entirely of people of Japanese ancestry, though. The great melting pot of America should definitely be doing better when it comes to casting.

Why can they never hire a fucking Japanese American

Dammit Hollywood. You're going to look back on this in twenty years so embarrassed of this bullshit.

because they made this for American audience? this is the proper way to do adaptation, just like Departed with Infernal Affairs.

Edwins

because they made this for American audience? this is the proper way to do adaptation, just like Departed with Infernal Affairs.

... you probably didn't mean for that to sound offensive, but that poster clearly suggested a Japanese American actor. Believe it or not we have those here.

Trike

Yep. They also made Penber into "Iwamatsu", though he was still FBI. Japan is made up almost entirely of people of Japanese ancestry, though. The great melting pot of America should definitely be doing better when it comes to casting.

The great melting pot of America doesn't necessarily have a lot of young Japanese-American actors. Not to mention that they are adapting a Japanese story for American audiences, a lot of things are probably going to be significantly different than the original. But you also have to understand that the vast majority of the viewing audience probably won't care or have little to no knowledge of the original series. For those that do, there are currently 4 (soon to be 5) live action Death Note films/TV shows. I don't think a new take is necessarily a bad thing, and I think narrowing the race down to once specific race due to the source material wouldn't be a great idea.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Is that a typo, or did you actually see the Korean version of the Death Note musical?

Yes, Death Note had a Korean musical.

For whatever reason I always thought the film was made in Korea.

Edwins

For whatever reason I always thought the film was made in Korea.

Japanese (from the director of Gamera and Godzilla films and starring the lead from Battle Royale, no less). There are quite a few Korean adaptations of Japanese series, though.

There is one thing that I am pretty confident about with Hollywood Death Note for everyone thinking I'm hating on it: it will probably be better than Hollywood Naruto (from producer Avi Arad).

Opto

Banned
Doubt it'll be good, but I'm interested in how it ends.

Context of ethnicity is interesting here, because now you have a white sociopathic kid murdering a bunch of people, and the people attempting to stop him are people of color.

Doubt it'll be good, but I'm interested in how it ends.

Context of ethnicity is interesting here, because now you have a white sociopathic kid murdering a bunch of people, and the people attempting to stop him are people of color.

Remember you also have Light's father, chief of police, who's also attempting to stop him and he's being played Shea Whigham
whigham.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom