• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Principal photography for the Death Note film has begun + Light Turner name change

Status
Not open for further replies.
No it wouldn't.

The point of the plot is that he's a famous Asian murder suspect fleeing through a relatively racially homogenous country where you don't see a lot of Japanese people wandering around.

You could change it to another race, who flees through a relatively racially homogenous country of a different race.

Emarv

Stanfield-News-618x400.jpg

Love Keith Stanfield. What a cool choice for L.

You could change it to another race, who flees through a relatively racially homogenous country of a different race.

You could, but it would be a harmful change. Dr. Tenma is very specifically a Japanese man in Germany, and the history of Germany and Japan strongly affect how the story feels.

Dazza

I'm perfectly fine with them changing the names and setting of the movie. I much prefer it to whitewashing or white saviour changes.

Jarmel

Banned
No it wouldn't.

The point of the plot is that he's a famous Asian murder suspect fleeing through a relatively racially homogenous country where you don't see a lot of Japanese people wandering around.

You could make him a minority for starters such as black and that would generally work just as well.

Edwins

I'm perfectly fine with them changing the names and setting of the movie. I much prefer it to whitewashing or white saviour changes.

A huge part of Death Note is Kira (Light) being worshipped by loads of people as a god. They've literally changed Light into a white savior.

diaspora

A huge part of Death Note is Kira (Light) being worshipped by loads of people as a god. They've literally changed Light into a white savior.
I mean, his position as a white savior is villainous in the first place no? He gets a reputation of being essentially a savior rather than being one.

You could, but it would be a harmful change. Dr. Tenma is very specifically a Japanese man in Germany, and the history of Germany and Japan strongly affect how the story feels.

i haven't read the manga, nor watched the anime so I have no idea how harmful a change it would be. I see Hollywood has been trying to adapt this for years, do you honestly think they were going to cast a Japanese man as the lead?

Edwins

I mean, his position as a white savior is villainous in the first place no? He gets a reputation of being essentially a savior rather than being one.

Eh, it's all a matter of perspective.
Kira is viewed as a legitimate savior for many people in universe. The ending in the manga even makes it clear that there are still people who worship him. Even one of the major members of the investigative team, Matsuda, struggles with his feelings that Kira might be in the right for a big stretch of the story.

Eh, it's all a matter of perspective.
Kira is viewed as a legitimate savior for many people in universe. The ending in the manga even makes it clear that there are still people who worship him. Even one of the major members of the investigative team, Matsuda, struggles with his feelings that Kira might be in the right for a big stretch of the story.

That may be the perspective of various characters, but Light is unambiguously a villain from the manga's point of view. He's not a white savior if he's the clear villain of the story, imo

Seems like a good way to do an anime adaptation, keep the name and premise but change the setting. No white teen with the last name Yagami and what not.

Alienous

I wonder if they'll go with a Shinigami, or just have the Death Note telepathically talk to him. That would probably be cheaper.

Dazza

If it was set in Japan still, sure I'd have a problem with it. But it sounds like they're changing the location to the US.

I actually like the idea of changing Ryku in a Archangel(after all they are the Angels of Death), the symbolism was already kind of there and Ryku sounding like Luke

Guess Who

Banned
I wonder if they'll go with a Shinigami, or just have the Death Note telepathically talk to him. That would probably be cheaper.

There were rumors that they were planning to cut shinigami from the story.

Which would be, undoubtedly, the wrong fucking move, but the entire existence of this thing is already incredibly questionable, so

Oddish1

There were rumors that they were planning to cut shinigami from the story.

Which would be, undoubtedly, the wrong fucking move, but the entire existence of this thing is already incredibly questionable, so

How so? For an adaptation you could easily cut Ryuk from the story and not lose anything. The story just needs the notebook.

Edwins

How so? For an adaptation you could easily cut Ryuk from the story and not lose anything. The story just needs the notebook.

Somebody didn't make it to the ending...

Ryuk killing Light in the end is crucial. Ryuk in general is central to the entire plot.

Oddish1

Somebody didn't make it to the ending...

Ryuk killing Light in the end is crucial. Ryuk in general is central to the entire plot.

I think it's a fairly safe assumption they're not doing a full manga adaptation and it'll probably have a new ending.

Edwins

I think it's a fairly safe assumption they're not doing a full manga adaptation and it'll probably have a new ending.

The anime modified the ending. The 2006 movies heavily modified the ending.
Ryuk still killed Light,
It's a major part of the original. Cutting Ryuk is madness. It would be like cutting Gollum from an adaptation of Tolkien's work.

Not surprised, just fucked up lol

Here's the thing though, 3 out of the 4 producer's (decision makers) are Asian Americans.

So if they're not concerned with casting Asian Americans, and Asian Americans aren't concerned with calling them out, then i don't care and focus on the quality of the movie itself.

EhoaVash

:eek: a Black L...really hope they keep the quirky/emo ish vibe L gave off. And light be a serious smartass.

I hope they kinda go their own direction with death note show, especially the later episodes ...pls don't include nero, and I hope the show has its own ending cause fuck death note ending.

Oddish1

The anime modified the ending. The 2006 movies heavily modified the ending.
Ryuk still killed Light,
It's a major part of the original. Cutting Ryuk is madness. It would be like cutting Gollum from an adaptation of Tolkien's work.

I mean, they could just not have that happen and make a new ending. I just don't think having an explicitly Japanese cultural element in an American adaptation to be faithful to an ending that the movie is likely not going to be faithful to in the first place all that important.

Edwins

I mean, they could just not have that happen and make a new ending. I just don't think having an explicitly Japanese cultural element in an American adaptation to be faithful to an ending that the movie is likely not going to be faithful to in the first place all that important.

You must not be familiar with Death Note at all. Ryuk is a main character, arguably more important than even L (who is also critical to the story). It begins on Ryuk's decision, and it ends on Ryuk's decision. When you suggest Ryuk isn't important it's like saying Peter Parker doesn't need to get a spider bite. It's like saying you could tell Harry Potter without Dumbeldore. It's like saying Othello doesn't need an Iago character to work. There's absolutely no Death Note plot without the Death Note making it into the human world. Ryuk is the sole reason that even happened.

You must not be familiar with Death Note at all. Ryuk is a main character, arguably more important than even L (who is also critical to the story). It begins on Ryuk's decision, and it ends on Ryuk's decision. When you suggest Ryuk isn't important it's like saying Peter Parker doesn't need to get a spider bite. It's like saying you could tell Harry Potter without Dumbeldore. It's like saying Othello doesn't need an Iago character to work. There's absolutely no Death Note plot without the Death Note making it into the human world. Ryuk is the sole reason that even happened.

It all depends with how faithful to the source material this film adaptation is trying to be. The very concept of the Death Notebook itself is intriguing enough in it's own right, that you could write a completely original script with different lore around it and still stay true to the spirit of the manga/anime.

I disagree, I'm not saying removing the shinigami is necessarily the right move, but you could take them out and just have Light find the book and the story would move on just fine.

Edwins

This is gonna flop so hard and I can't wait

The thing is that it probably won't. It's going to Netflix. It may not do well enough with subscribers for Netflix to do a sequel, but the movie's presumably automatically getting it's money from Netflix. I have to imagine Warner knew it wasn't worth funding themselves, though, as they had it (and had great success with the 2006 films in Japan). The studio behind Dawn of Justice and Tarzan didn't have confidence in this.

The thing is that it probably won't. It's going to Netflix. It may not do well enough with subscribers for Netflix to do a sequel, but the movie's presumably automatically getting it's money from Netflix. I have to imagine Warner knew it wasn't worth funding themselves, though, as they had it (and had great success with the 2006 films in Japan). The studio behind Dawn of Justice and Tarzan didn't have confidence in this.
Oh, I see..... sad. I kinda wanted to see how it would be at the global box office

Speely

Banned
Please don't make the book a tablet prototype accidentally put into production by a demented AI (Ryuk) that controls a secret cache of deadly nanomachines. Thanks.

EhoaVash

Really wish this was a live action episodic Netflix series instead. Just thinking about it, I can see a lot of good materials being in the chopping block X.x

Oddish1

The core premise is the notebook's abilities, it's abuse, and the cat and mouse game that results from it. The fact that Ryuk exists and is the one who dropped it are entirely incidental to the main plot. It might actually be beneficial to drop Ryuk since he's a cartoony grim reaper in a supernatural crime thriller, and he spends most of the plot doing little of consequence other than being there.

how are they planning on fitting the entirety of death note into a movie

The entirety of Death Note is a lot of exposition that will shorten it to maybe 2 movies. No one wants to hear Light fucking narrate how he's super amazing by hiding the book in a bag of chips.

You can do this with most anime because they need to fill those minutes so they'll have the character or narrator say what's literally going on to waste time. Hunter X Hunter is the biggest offender.

Ryuk actually does nothing for the plot. He's a reason behind the book but it's not explored. The rules for the book itself are more important than Ryuk. You could literally write Ryuk's part as additional need-to-know on the inside of the book and the point will get across. His commentary and prodding of Light don't interfere with the plot, the only one that does is the female waifu shinigami. Even then that was horribly done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom