• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Death Note' Feature Film Lands at Netflix

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sheroking

If I look at the various projects Netflix spends its money on I have a hard time believing that their programming strategy is fundamentally based on a thorough analysis of data.
Still, could be worse.

I think what you have a hard time believing is that a majority of Netflix users have different tastes than your own or the corners of the internet you frequent.

I can shit on Fuller House all day, but I recognize many people must be watching Full House on Netflix for it to exist. Death Note? Not so surprised. It's one of the most acclaimed anime series of all time, and one of the most widely discussed, even years later.

Salsa

damn

Netflix going ham

already shelled out 100mil for Bright, didnt they?

they're doing proper-theatre-budget films. this was a slated theatre big release film

shit's gonna get crazy

im not entirely sure where I am with it. I like going to the movies.

Akahige

Cool get, seems like it would work far better as a streaming release with it's subject matter.

And honestly surprised that WB was going to fund a near $50 million R-Rated adaptation of Death Note to begin with. I guess they weren't going after that YA cash like I first assumed.

I suppose you may as well switch things up and go in another direction if the original series already and will always exist. A straight adaptation from animated to live action with no major changes would be a little pointless. It's not like Death Note needs a live action version to be considered a real show.

40-50 million seems kind of a high for this story. I don't remember anything from the anime that couldn't be done due to a low budget, besides maybe the scenes involving the Shinigami realm.

I don't see why they couldn't do a different story set in-universe. Set it in America (because you know they will anyway), have a different cast with different scenarios, and just draw some parallels with the original manga.

Bleepey

The whole surveillance scene with the chip bag is a product placer's wet dream. Gratuitous zooms on the bag, Light eating the delicious chips, people commenting on what the chips are.

I think the Lays sponsorship department slightly came in their pants.

You don't think the fact it's by a psychotic mass murderer? I am sure you could go nuts with the candy and sweet product placement from L.

If I look at the various projects Netflix spends its money on I have a hard time believing that their programming strategy is fundamentally based on a thorough analysis of data.
Still, could be worse.

DeathNote can appeal to those who are fans of:
crime shows
Detective dramas
Suspense
Anime

It ticks a lot of boxes

damn

Netflix going ham

already shelled out 100mil for Bright, didnt they?

they're doing proper-theatre-budget films. this was a slated theatre big release film

shit's gonna get crazy

im not entirely sure where I am with it. I like going to the movies.

I'm fine with it being A model I just don't want it to be THE model. I still love theaters too but I won't deny this is convenient

Boss Mog

If it doesn't end like the Japanese live action film then it will probably be shit. That's the only ending I accept.

Netflix is rolling in so much dough they can now do this.

They definitely have made their mark on the TV game, now they want to do the same with movies. They haven't done it yet, though. It's not a done deal.

By not having any of their movies release in theaters they risk having even great movies viewed in a different manner, like how we view a great HBO Movie. It's still an HBO movie.

Considering the quality of tv and Netflix TV it's almost arbitrary to even make the distinction between TV and movies. Just seem to be same things in different lengths, if you don't get the movie to the big screen that is.

nillapuddin

Fuck that casting. Based on looks I don't see how that guy can pull off Light

Light is popular and gets girls at will without being suspicious, I just don't see it.

I'm not as attuned to the film industry lingo as some posters on this forum, so I'm curious: is the fact that the film was in turnaround at WB a sign that the studio lacked faith in the script or something?

It seems odd to declare the film a loss before it's even entered production.

I'm convinced Nat Wolff was cast just because he looks like a younger, less unkempt version of the film's director.

swrqfdzgy2lwodcer2r5.jpg

0B_nPc2uJOogjdVhtZGFLLVJ2Wnc

a la

:p

evanmisha

For anyone on the fence, Masataka Kubota as Light in the live action TV show is incredible. I can't imagine nailing the character more than that. Really fantastic performance. Worth a watch for that alone

New casting news. Apparently Keith Stanfield is going to "co-star" in the movie.

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/nat-wolff-death-note-netflix-keith-stanfield-1201793084/

I'm hoping this doesn't mean he will be playing Ryuzaki, as that seems like a terrible fit. Although I'm not sure who else he could play. Maybe Matsuda?

Cast him as Ryuk, and get a black woman to play Rem; and cast the rest white. At least from an aesthetic perspective, it'd be interesting. Plus I'd think it'd be kinda funny to have two magical negroes at the same damn time.

DarkKyo

As a die hard fan of the manga and most of the anime, I'm really against this movie. But I will try to stay open minded about it... until I see the inevitably terrible trailer. To be fair I didn't like the Japanese movies either.

BruceCLea

Banned
I believe in Adam Wingard...

You're Next and The Guest are fucking GREAT

Check those movies out before you race to judge this movie. The director fits perfectly with the manga. Not sold on the actor, but that's just me.

I still think Nat Wolff is horribly miscast. The best thing I can say for him is that he is very John Cusacky at best and Ted Mosebyish at worst. He has no business playing Light. I have not seen anything from him that suggests that he would be charming and Mr. Popular high school student.

Brb, let me find my prediction from the previous Death Note movie thread.

Yeah, Light's main character motivation comes from him thinking he's perfect and better than everyone else. This is probably true of a lot of those loner types, but the difference is that those people are more clearly incorrect. Light's a bit grayer than that since he's actually insanely gifted, so you wonder if he's not a bad choice to make these decisions.

And much like Breaking Bad, you realize by the end of it that, no, no he's not really a good choice for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom