• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RIP: Death Note USA headed to Netflix, Fant4stic writer wrote the script.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Adam Wingard’s ‘Death Note’ Jumps From Warner Bros. to Netflix (Exclusive)

Keith Stanfield may join Nat Wolff and Margaret Qualley in the Japanese manga adaptation
In the wake of a report that Warner Bros. is considering making fewer films, Adam Wingard‘s adaptation of the Japanese manga series “Death Note” is moving from Warners to Netflix, which is in negotiations to pick up the project, TheWrap has learned.

Nat Wolff (“Paper Towns”) and Margaret Qualley (“The Leftovers”) are set to star, and Netflix also intends to cast its “War Machine” star Keith Stanfield, though he does not have an official offer, as the streaming service hasn’t closed its deal to acquire the project yet.

Roy Lee, Dan Lin, Jason Hoffs and Masi Oka will produce “Death Note” and Jeremy Slater (“Fantastic Four”) wrote the most recent draft of the script. The manga series was previously adapted as a live-action movie in Japan.

Source: http://www.thewrap.com/adam-wingards-death-note-moving-from-warner-bros-to-netflix-exclusive/

Light
nat-wolff-profile.jpg

Misa
margaret-qualley-the-leftovers.jpg

Raye Penber...?
MV5BMTY2MjIwNTkwNV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMzQxNTk5NzE@._V1_UX214_CR0,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

Welp. This should be an interesting mess.

Edit: Apparently the writer for F4ntastic isn't the one to blame for that movie's floppage. Regardless, he was one of the writers on it.

What's the point. The Death Note craze has gone years ago, now you only have a movie about a series that had an universally hated ending. You could make a tv series I guess, but again, what's the point? We already have Death Note. The only way would be to actually improve the story, but I doubt they will.

Cardon

Hiro Nakamura from Heroes is helping to produce this? Wow, that's good for him I guess since he's expanding things beyond acting.

Meh. I never judge a film based on a writer's past credits. Decisions made by the director, actors, editor, producers, and about a dozen other people can totally warp a script.

Some great writers have ended up with their name attached to some shit movies through no fault of their own.

What's the point. The Death Note craze has gone years ago, now you only have a movie about a series that had an universally hated ending. You could make a tv series I guess, but again, what's the point? We already have Death Note. The only way would be to actually improve the story, but I doubt they will.

I wouldn't go so far as to say "universally." I liked the ultimate conclusion even if the stretch before it with Near and Mello wasn't the show's strongest arc.

Anyway, there's no way this won't be a disaster. It doesn't have to be, but it will be.

Rockk

Considering Fatastic 4 failed because of massive reshoots because they didn't like the darker, more horror-esque type of ideas they were going with. The writer being who he is doesn't mean anything.

Universally hated ending? Speak for yourself. The ending is the best part of the whole series.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
The writers actually fought Warner Bros to keep Light as a villain, so they have to somewhat care about the script.

That's a real fucked up thread title. The Fantastic Four script looks nothing like the Fantastic Four that we got. Slater's had scripts on the Black List too, he's got chops.

Miracle

Netflix, I love you for trying, and this is coming from a guy that loves the Death Note anime...

NO! BAD NETFLIX BAD!

If we are get a live action Death Note USA version, we should get a series, not a movie.

B33

Banned
Don't be hard on Jeremy Slater.

His draft of Fantastic 4 was apparently good before it was rewritten and put through a hellish production.

interested in this for the director. he's done good work with the horror genre so far.

really curious how Ryuk looks in this.

Fant4stic had like 15 drafts and writers
This sounds fun. I doubt there will be any reference to "Based off the hit Japanese animation". Death Note is a fairly universal concept that'll translate well

Just let them do their own thing mang

diamond_is_not_crash

Unconfirmed Member
That's a real fucked up thread title. The Fantastic Four script looks nothing like the Fantastic Four that we got. Slater's had scripts on the Black List too, he's got chops.

I thought I heard that somewhere as well. I thought he wanted to go for a hard horror theme but the studio made him reshoot a bunch if stuff or something. This choice doesn't make me any less excited.

kewlmyc

What a weir roller-coaster this film as been through. I'll watch the final product, but I'm in no way excited for it anymore.

you know i was willing to go in it with an open mind even tho i was expecting nothing but the worse but you've completely lost me with that writer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom