• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Death Note - Official Trailer

Principate

Saint Titanfall
So did you see the trailer or not? I'm guessing no. As someone else mentioned he's set up as an underdog from the trailers. No character traits from the manga or anime are showcased with this character.

With the US's structure you have so much variety that isn't possible in Japan due to the racial dynamics being more homogeneous comparably and so far, it looks like the ball is dropped with a bog standard white lead that looks as if they are taking nothing from the source material other than the name Kira.
The trailer and manga aren't very different from the initial portrayal light was always a "good" average guy outside of his intelligience and priviledge that wanted justice (which is reinforced again and again) those two points are pretty much the same. He starts off as someone the audience could relate to, to some degree

Main difference from our limited view into it was that manga light was more intelligent less introspective and more charismatic which are really qualities tear truly came to light later on in the story.

The manga takes great length to explain the corrupting influence of the note. They even show that if he had lost his memory of the note light would go out of his way to personally solve the death note murders.

The villainy of light is in his everpresent sociopathy that are subdue and takes over the deeper into it he goes. He ultimately genuinely thinks he's better than other people and is extremely egoistic, which is something most purely displayed by his privilege. He's set for life. The trailer obviously doesn't go I'm depth about late game light aside from the fact he introspects which light never did in the manga. We'll see how similar or different they ultimately are.

Garland7G

I hate all the casting. A white Light? A black L? C'mon...I knew it was gonna be washed but damn...Should'a known when Dafoe was cast as Ryuk.Why not make it faithful to the manga and let the story stand on its own instead of trying to tailor it to audiences.

Edit: To everyone praising Dafoe, you know thats not the voice you heard in your head while reading the story. Sure everyone hears a different voice, but we can all agree that it wasn't Dafoe.

Joni

I'm still feeling a massive quality difference between L and Light, L seems like a good update of the character that fits in the modern world but keeps true to the character while Light now feels more like an emo kid that fantasizes about a Death Note after watching the real one. I don't get the over the top action scenes either. Ryuk luckily falls in the 'L' quality category it seems.

Shredderi

Willem Dafoe is once again cast perfectly. I love that dude. Not feeling Light. He doesn't seem sociopathic and remorseless enough. And yeah not sold on L either. I'll propably watch this for Dafoe alone though.

Turin

Banned
L seemed good even if a little too angry.

Kind of hated what I saw of Light.

Ryuk is perfect.

Looks fun overall.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Is there a reason he has a hood? Never watched the anime but thats a change maybe he was burnéd or stabed or some dark backstory
I think it's L being secretive in this movie trying to hide his identity but it's pretty odd L shows up himself at all. He rarely does in the manga.

Imagine the eyes that allows someone to see a person's name if they can see their face turns up in this do it'll act as a protective measure in the story.

Ruff

Edit: To everyone praising Dafoe, you know thats not the voice you heard in your head while reading the story. Sure everyone hears a different voice, but we can all agree that it wasn't Dafoe.

Speak for yourself, he's as close to my headvoice as it's gonna get.

Dafoe sounds like Ryuk's english dub voice actor. The voice I imagined Ryuk had was a low-heavy growling twisted voice and Dafoe nails it, imo.

I kinda like new L but he showed abit too much emotion for what the anime, book and manga was like.
L making a public appearance with his mask on is still
?????

Also Dafoe fits well.
Dont like Light and his highlights

Oh shit, just realized it's my boy Keith Stanfield as L. Now I'm really excited about this movie.

tenor.gif

The trailer and manga aren't very different from the initial portrayal light was always a "good" average guy outside of his intelligience and priviledge that wanted justice (which is reinforced again and again) those two points are pretty much the same. He starts off as someone the audience could relate to, to some degree

Main difference from our limited view into it was that manga light was more intelligent less introspective and more charismatic which are really qualities tear truly came to light later on in the story.

The manga takes great length to explain the corrupting influence of the note. They even show that if he had lost his memory of the note light would go out of his way to personally solve the death note murders.

The villainy of light is in his everpresent sociopathy that are subdue and takes over the deeper into it he goes. He ultimately genuinely thinks he's better than other people and is extremely egoistic, which is something most purely displayed by his privilege. He's set for life. The trailer obviously doesn't go I'm depth about late game light aside from the fact he introspects which light never did in the manga. We'll see how similar or different they ultimately are.

Did we watching the same trailer? The Light portrayed in it is completely different and it goes beyond just the seeming difference in intelligence. For instance, manga Light would never personally step in and help a woman getting harassed. He doesn't appear to have everything been bullied himself. Part of his egotism is from his detachment from the crime and transgressions he feels he's more fit to judge. Compared to this Light where is seems more personal and more out of a sense of actual justice rather than a twisted belief in him being a better judge, jury and executioner than the current criminal justice system

Dafoe sounds and looks good. I might try out ep 1, I really like the main character in other movies as well but don't know what to think of as Light. He seems empathetic and if that's the case, I hope that goes away the more power he gets by killing people. Could be an interesting change from manga/anime to tv adaptation.

I always loved L's intro into the CIA by joining their room instead of talking in public which seems like his actual intro. That looked disappointing. \ I hope the psychological thriller aspect is there as well.

Garland7G

After watching the latest trailer, Dafoe is decent enough I guess, but there are a ton of scenes that I don't recognize from the manga, like when did they ever go to a carnival? :/ I have a feeling this will be a very 'loose' adaptation.

Dafoe sounds and looks good. I might try out ep 1, I really like the main character in other movies as well but don't know what to think of as Light. He seems empathetic and if that's the case, I hope that goes away the more power he gets by killing people. Could be an interesting change from manga/anime to tv adaptation.

I always loved L's intro into the CIA by joining their room instead of talking in public which seems like his actual intro. That looked disappointing. \ I hope the psychological thriller aspect is there as well.

This is a movie.
After watching the latest trailer, Dafoe is decent enough I guess, but there are a ton of scenes that I don't recognize from the manga, like when did they ever go to a carnival? :/ I have a feeling this will be a very 'loose' adaptation.

It was always gonna be a loose adaptation. We might not see Misa have her own Death Note.

Kyoufu

It looks very loose judging from the trailer, which doesn't have to be a bad thing.

Anybody looking for a faithful adaptation to the manga/anime is going to be disappointed.

Anybody looking for a good movie based on the manga/anime might be pleasantly surprised. Emphasis being on MIGHT.

Garland7G

It was always gonna be a loose adaptation. We might not see Misa have her own Death Note.

Wtf... are you kidding me? how long is the show.. 6 episodes?

Edit: This is really sad as this is my favorite manga, it sucks that its being butchered (from what I can tell) :(

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Did we watching the same trailer? The Light portrayed in it is completely different and it goes beyond just the seeming difference in intelligence. For instance, manga Light would never personally step in and help a woman getting harassed. He doesn't appear to have everything been bullied himself. Part of his egotism is from his detachment from the crime and transgressions he feels he's more fit to judge. Compared to this Light where is seems more personal and more out of a sense of actual justice rather than a twisted belief in him being a better judge, jury and executioner than the current criminal justice system
That is true like I said rhia light appears more introspective which involves having a true moral compass but ultimately had light involved him with the crime at the beginning of the manga not much would change. Light always had a misguided naive and simplistic view of justice. Ultimate the character arc would be the same, overconfidence and self righteous, despiration to save ones own skin resulting in a perversion of those ideals and finally total egotism.

Ithil

I hate all the casting. A white Light? A black L? C'mon...I knew it was gonna be washed but damn...Should'a known when Dafoe was cast as Ryuk.Why not make it faithful to the manga and let the story stand on its own instead of trying to tailor it to audiences.

I don't expect them to cast based on "What voice I heard in my head when reading a story".

Garland7G

I don't expect them to cast based on "What voice I heard in my head when reading a story".

After hearing it was just a movie and not a series, I don't even care anymore. They cannot tell the story of death note in a two hour movie.

Edit: or a four hour movie, or a six hour one. To me, this whole production is now a waste of money. Its not the death note story that they will be telling, but a story of some kid with a killer notebook.

After hearing it was just a movie and not a series, I don't even care anymore. They cannot tell the story of death note in a two hour movie.

They technically can. They can't tell the entire anime/manga in 2 hours but they can do the L Vs. Light story, which was the best and important part of Death Note.

Except that's exactly how I imagine Ryuk to sound. What the fuck else would he sound like?

tenor.gif

random25

Seems to focus too much on action, and it does not capture the thing that made Death Note great, which is the psychological battle between 2 brilliant minds. Maybe that's prejudging things based from this trailer, but I'm not sold on this yet.

Arkeband

Banned
"B-But Misa won't even get her death note!"

<character is named Mia Sutton>

It's different from the manga and anime, it's not even worth comparing aside from whether they incorporate elements in a way that makes sense.

Besides Ryuk, the note, and the apple, it almost looks unrecognizable from Death Note.

I'll go in hoping for the best.

I understand that the story wouldn't work as well if they followed the manga beat by beat, but I hope they can truly keep the spirit of the manga intact.

Nightfall

Never read the manga or seen the anime and I really dig it. Looks interesting.
Also Dafoe as the voice of that thing? Damn brilliant!

That is true like I said rhia light appears more introspective which involves having a true moral compass but ultimately had light involved him with the crime at the beginning of the manga not much would change. Light always had a misguided naive and simplistic view of justice. Ultimate the character arc would be the same, overconfidence and self righteous, despiration to save ones own skin resulting in a perversion of those ideals and finally total egotism.

Isn't part of what defines his character. I feel like when people talk about characterization, they always look for large dramatic gestures and sweep away the small moments like that as inconsequential when they are. Light is suppose to be distanced from Kira as much as possible. It's part of what makes "Light" such a good disguise.

Take Bruce Wayne and if they changed him from some disinterested billionaire to some scrappy poor guy who grew up in the slums of Gotham. The "ridiculousness" of him being Batman diminishes (ignoring all the tech and vehicles). The same with Light.

My point is, Light shouldn't actually look/act like those edgy kids in real life who actually made death notes and wrote down their classmate's names after the series became popular, but he does. He looks exactly like them

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I just realized something.

Even if Light got L's real name, L wears that face mask so Light still wouldn't be able to write his name and have it work. You have to know the person's name AND have a full image of their face in your mind as your write it.

I imagine the script plays around with this in some way. Can't just be a flourish.

As for the Kira naming. There are definitely Japanese characters in the movie. The TV shows "Tokyo Cartel Massacre." So maybe Light starts testing the Death Note overseas first and that's where the "Kira" name comes from?

Galang

Banned
Looks good. I'm more surprised Ryuk doesn't look lame. Actually very nice design there and love how they recreated him. Wish this was a series not film

Ruff

I just realized something.

Even if Light got L's real name, L wears that face mask so Light still wouldn't be able to write his name and have it work. You have to know the person's name AND have a full image of their face in your mind as your write it.

I imagine the script plays around with this in some way. Can't just be a flourish.

As far as I know,
Shinigami eyes will allow you to kill them even if only part of their face including the eyes are shown.
No telling if that will come into play in this version however.

In preparation.
What's better? Manga or Anime? The Anime is easier to get hold off, since it's on Netflix...but which is better? I usually enjoy Manga.

In preparation.
What's better? Manga or Anime? The Anime is easier to get hold off, since it's on Netflix...but which is better? I usually enjoy Manga.

Its the almost the exact thing. The Manga is just slightly better because its the original source. The anime is still pretty darn good, I'd would watch it first and then read it. (I do this with most anime/manga so I kinda have their anime voices in my head when I read the manga XD)

Top Bottom