• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Death Note - Official Trailer

daxy

Just rewatched the trailer and it really struck me that Light was questioning whether he was a 'good guy' or not. That just seems way off character to the Light depicted in the manga and anime who was 100% certain of his righteousness until the end. This and everything else makes it seem like it'll be a very, very loose adaptation of the original story. Hope it pans out.

.JayZii

Banned
Just rewatched the trailer and it really struck me that Light was questioning whether he was a 'good guy' or not. That just seems way off character to the Light depicted in the manga and anime who was 100% certain of his righteousness until the end.
I know, that's kind of his whole character.

Trying something new-ish, I suppose.

It's the same guy from the new Jumanji movie.
But anyways, seems people will find anything to complain about. It's a faithful adaption of the concept in an American setting. Of, but if it isn't a shot-for-shot remake of the manga...

Just rewatched the trailer and it really struck me that Light was questioning whether he was a 'good guy' or not. That just seems way off character to the Light depicted in the manga and anime who was 100% certain of his righteousness until the end.

Definitely caught me too.

Also the part about him casually discussing the death note in a library....

But anyways, seems people will find anything to complain about. It's a faithful adaption of the concept in an American setting. Of, but if it isn't a shot-for-shot remake of the manga...

it is?

so you've seen it already? Interesting. how did you get early access?

Doesn't seem that way. Light is a completely different person

it is

I doubt that poster has, but there is at least one person on GAF who saw an early, unfinished version and posted impressions. They were positive. EDIT: IIRC they weren't familiar with the source material prior so take that as you will.

it is

LOL

I'm not gonna lie, the more I rewatch the trailer the more I understand why people are thinking it's going to be trash.

I'm still excited for it and willing to give it a chance and judge afterwards. It is weird how flat some of the lines are being delivered particularly by L and Mia, but I'm hopeful it's just due to the lack of context for those scenes.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
I feel like the only way this can work is if this is pretty campy and lame, which I supsect it will be because Light's actor looks kinda campy and lame. That said, boy this kind of feels like a americanization of Death Note(which it is) but in like all the cliche ways we all joked about with the leaked Akira script.

Just rewatched the trailer and it really struck me that Light was questioning whether he was a 'good guy' or not. That just seems way off character to the Light depicted in the manga and anime who was 100% certain of his righteousness until the end. This and everything else makes it seem like it'll be a very, very loose adaptation of the original story. Hope it pans out.

The beginning with him getting beat up is silly too, Light didn't have any problems with society. This isn't about some bullied guy getting revenge, it's about a very successful young man that basically rationalizes all the murders he makes with his magical notebook. This change in character basically makes the themes seem too spelled out for the audience at this point, that's a bigger problem than the casting or setting

Wow. I had no idea.. going to just read this part now. The anime shouldn't have changed that
It's not only that,
Light begs in front of everyone and Ryuk just looks him in the eye smugly smugly and tells him I told you I'd write your name down when you stopped being entertaining

It's amazing. The anime completely ruined the ending.

Fuchsdh

Which shall the internet be more offended by? That L is black, or that he's a ninja? It's gonna' be tough...

Seems like a loose adaptation, which seems about right given they have to condense it into a film.

Blackage

Hearing Light say "We're the bad guys now" was just wrong. -_-

I'm glad they're not doing a 100% adaptation, maybe there's something new to look forward to with that in mind.

Expectations at 0.

MUnited83

For you.
The beginning with him getting beat up is silly too, Light didn't have any problems with society. This isn't about some bullied guy getting revenge, it's about a very successful young man that basically rationalizes all the murders he makes with his magical notebook. This change in character basically makes the themes seem too spelled out for the audience at this point, that's a bigger problem than the casting or setting
Yeah the drama series did the same mistake. Wimpy ass kid , first scene is literally him getting bullied. Also was only a average student instead of the model top student he's supposed to be. I don't get how it seems to be so hard to get this right.

Ryzaki009

It's not only that,
Light begs in front of everyone and Ryuk just looks him in the eye smugly smugly and tells him I told you I'd write your name down when you stopped being entertaining

It's amazing. The anime completely ruined the ending.

Yeah the anime changed it for some really weird seeing L after death scene which while good for yaoi fans didn't make much sense.

That said I actually despised the ending because Near pulling a fake eath note out his ass was more contrived than most of the BS Light and L did on a regular basis and that was a high bar to vault over. The only way I saw that ending as making sense was if he wrote Light's name in the book.

Shadoken

Damn why did they completely change the characters?

Kira is supposed to be a more elitist honor student with like a god complex. Over here he seems like a Emo dude whos really upset at people bullying him?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Wasn't really feeling that...not sure about this Light at all.

Also calling him a "death god" feels really clunky if he's still also calling himself Kira.

Pixeluh

Kira is supposed to be a more elitist honor student with like a god complex. Over here he seems like a Emo dude whos really upset at people bullying him?

Gotta show the hazards of bullying mentally unstable kids, am I right?

Lynx_7

Ryuuk was pretty much the only thing I liked about that trailer. He's on point.

I'll give it a shot but my expectations aren't high.

Deepwater

Localization

He's still got the god complex, maybe he's just not as smart as he thinks he is? Although it's probably premature to assume he's not an honor student, that's just not conveyed through the trailer

Barrage

It remains to be seen how the adaptative touches work, but for the most part i'm excited. L's casting seems more fitting when placed in 2017 America. I do wish Light was more of a "picture-perfect high school prom king" (Efron really was perfect at one point), but we'll see how it goes.

Dafoe is absolutely phenomenal casting.

I don't have a problem with L being black but there is a missed opportunity with having a white actor with bleach white skin to further emphasize he does not socialize outside. He could have looked like Caliban from Logan. Then again maybe that would have been way too extreme and unbelievable.

Shadoken

THIS. Really kills the character imo.

Top Bottom