• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Death Note - Official Trailer

cLOUDo

One of the thing I love of death note is the psycho, genius, and remorseless Light.

But this still looks interesting, I'm in

Reminds me a bit of Final Destination with some of those deaths. And i don't know if that's good or bad, hopefully it means it's at the very least entertaining. I'm sure I'll watch but I've got the lowest expectations.

Superflat

L looks pretty awesome, but everything else screams "teen drama tv" a la Twilight, even with the added dash of action and dark subject matter.

I will probably give it a watch. Mainly for L.

I'm actually pretty open to changes here, because everything after L
gets killed
was pretty messy in the anime at least. I think there are definite improvements that can be made.

Permanently A

"We're not the good guys anymore" line from Light has me worried. Light firmly believed in himself the entire way through. Not once did he regret his actions or doubt himself. He truly believed that

18b945eebddbfc9d5940aed15c6981cf60d4f8e7_hq.jpg

Superflat

"We're not the good guys anymore" line from Light has me worried. Light firmly believed in himself the entire way through. Not once did he regret his actions or doubt himself. He truly believed that

That's the only line in the trailer that gave me pause. I'm hoping it's just a moment of self doubt before he wholly commits.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Didn't really understand the outrage over the last trailer, seems like the basic premise of Death note to me which can technically be set anywhere

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Didn't really understand the outrage over the last trailer, seems like the basic premise of Death note to me which can technically be set anywhere
Yeah, the Death Note as a concept was always prone to falling into different hands. I don't see the issue with characters acting different in an almost "what if?" sort of scenario. It might muddle the original message, but it might also bring an entirely new one altogether that's just as interesting.

Yeah lol I know that's not Light, just thought the quote was appropriate. Funny Valentine is the best

Since I never read the manga, you had me questioning myself for a moment. LOL Since i'm familiar with the art style, I thought maybe the manga deviated into other art styles, but then thought.... Nah, I doubt it.

Permanently A

Since I never read the manga, you had me questioning myself for a moment. LOL Since i'm familiar with the art style, I thought maybe the manga deviated into other art styles, but then thought.... Nah, I doubt it.

Light had a phase after his amnesia where Misa convinced him she was his hairstylist

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
Shinigami eyes probably aren't a thing in this movie.

Looks decent. I respect it for what it is; an adaptation, not something that's meant to be an exact copy. So I'm open to it.
Even with Shinigami eyes, you need to see most of the face to be able to kill someone. However, it's still a ridiculously and unnecessarily dangerous thing for L to do, especially since he doesn't actually know any of that.

Vice

L looks pretty awesome, but everything else screams "teen drama tv" a la Twilight, even with the added dash of action and dark subject matter.

I will probably give it a watch. Mainly for L.
Death Note is a teen drama so that seems like e correct vibe for the movie.

Trailer looks good. Seems like it will be different enough to be worth watching.

Famassu

It's the same guy from the new Jumanji movie.
But anyways, seems people will find anything to complain about. It's a faithful adaption of the concept in an American setting. Of, but if it isn't a shot-for-shot remake of the manga...
Getting the defining characteristic of the protagonist totally wrong isn't "people will find anything to complain about." Light is a person with a god complex. He's a narcissist who is good at manipulating others and never doubts what he's doing. The trailer doesn't show a Light anything like that.

Majine

Banned
Looks about what I expected, but I'm wondering how smart or dumb this will be in comparison to the original. Which isn't easily conveyed in a trailer.

Like when Light hides a miniature TV inside a potato chips bag to keep getting fed names. Is it like that? Or is it just him running around in action scenes with a notebook.

Getting the defining characteristic of the protagonist totally wrong isn't "people will find anything to complain about." Light is a person with a god complex. He's a narcissist who is good at manipulating others and never doubts what he's doing. The trailer doesn't show a Light anything like that.

The trailer is a trailer

Its not going to portray all the aspects of light

In this case the trailer is actually a hit misleading, cause it shows guys with guns and buildings falling apart and a ferris wheel breaking apart.

Not alot to judge the characters from, and extrapolating a characters whole identity from one line without context is a bit silly

UrbanRats

The only two problems i have with this are:

1) Light isn't as clean cut, which was kind of an essential point to his character.

2) They seem to be pushing a love story, but Light never gave a shit about Misa, and it proved further what kind of a sociopath he was.

I like what they're doing with L though, plus Death Note should work better as a movie, seeing how the elongated format forced them to come up with a lot of bullshit arcs.
Also Ryuk looks great.

NewGame

Banned
Wow.

They went hobo with a shotgun with this huh? I guess the plebs who watch TV wouldn't be able to wrap their head around this idea.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
It doesn't look as good as the anime or the manga, that's a given, but I'm surprised at how.. decent/faithful it looks so far. Hopefully they don't screw up too badly.

Wonder how they will portray the potato chips scene lol

I mean it's a movie, not a full-fledged series. I doubt the potato chips scene is high on the priority list :p. Even if it was a series, it probably wouldn't make the cut anyway. It's too cheesy for a Westernized adaptation with a serious tone and a dark premise like this.

black070

I'm fully expecting the whole Light/Misa thing to be a fake out with him letting her fall to her death and revealing some sort of elaborate plan.

Alienous

Light's handwriting in the Death Note is really bugging me.

I suppose it works with this characterization but scrawling names into a magical notebook, with no sense of spacing or even sticking to lines, is irksome. It's perhaps the most powerful weapon in existence and you can't even muster the care to follow the rules of grammar?

Awful.

"Abdul Al Aswad
eats a grenade"

So those are two connected sentences, written on different lines. No punctuation to denote the end of a Death Note request.

"James Brode exits without harminghis
hostages, steps into traffic where he's struck
and killed"

Poor handwriting. "harminghis" and "he's" are poorly written to the point of misintepretation. And again, line breaks without justification. No full stop at the end.

Just urgh.

Kinda not feeling it.

I totally acknowledge that this will be in an American setting and will never be a shot for shot adaptation. I know that it won't be as dramatic as the original (eg potato chips, handwriting), but it just feels off.

Light never gave me the impression that he's a genius and a narcissist. L doesn't seem to mind being public and have everything but his eyes covered. He had Watari as his public figure.

Can't help but compare it to the Japanese live action, even if the premise of a character in the last film is beyond absurd.
L's cells LOL

There's also this overall feel of not being shot / framed well, or maybe just feels cheap.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I've never heard of the show but the idea seems cool, the acting seemed pretty bad though.

Preezy

For those of us who only have a very basic grasp of Death Note, who is L (I assume the ski in the face mask/scarf) supposed to be?

Zaru

Any easy fix could've been new characters so this might've been some form of sequel or something.

It'd be easy to make a completely different story in the same world with the "human getting a death note" concept, but what made Death Note popular was the rivalry between Light and L, plus "Kira" becoming a globally known "god" that law enforcement was trying to hunt down. You can't really reuse that and it was central to the story.

Meier

For those of us who only have a very basic grasp of Death Note, who is L (I assume the ski in the face mask/scarf) supposed to be?

In the original, L is an anonymous dude who is a master detective that helps solve crimes. He is only ever represented as an L on a screen with a distorted voice. He is so interested in this case that he comes out of hiding (to an extent) to work with the task force who is working to catch Kira. The only people who know what L looks like are the task force themselves.

(this is how he is represented)

He does go out in public as well to investigate Light in person but no one knows he's L in that form -- he's just a classmate at his college. We don't know for sure that he is actually known to others as L in the speech moment shown in the trailer for what it's worth.

Preezy

In the original, L is an anonymous dude who is a master detective that helps solve crimes. He is only ever represented as an L on a screen with a distorted voice. He is so interested in this case that he comes out of hiding (to an extent) to work with the task force who is working to catch Kira. The only people who know what L looks like are the task force themselves.

(this is how he is represented)

He does go out in public as well to investigate Light in person but know one knows he's L in that form -- he's just a classmate at his college. We don't know for sure that he is actually known to others as L in the speech moment shown in the trailer for what it's worth.
Cool, thanks for that.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
L looks way to aggressive and Light looks like somebody who isn't exactly a popular and respected kid.

I take it this is more of a spin off of the original? I'll still watch, but at this point I'm not expecting a damn thing to be in-line with the anime other than writing things in a book.

Top Bottom