• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Death Note - Official Trailer

mas8705

It is a western adaptation of Death Note. Of course there are going to be differences here and there. Honestly though when I first saw the teaser, I was half and half, but now I am willing to give it a watch on Netflix (considering the only thing I would have to lose is time).

Cardon

Glad to see that L is still a candy fiend.

Movie looks solid so far. Obviously stuff will be different, but it seems like the spirit of the manga/anime is being kept without being a Dragon Ball Evolution abomination.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
I hope the monster dude is only ever out of focus like that. Looks cool and has some interesting implications.

SaviourMK2

it's kinda giving me the impression that it's not going to be an epic battle of geniuses. More like a thriller, betrayal, etc...

I dunno, I have to see it to really judge, all I know is the Light character doesn't seem to be very intelligent.
William Defoe, easily will be my favorite parts of the film
I'm excited to see Keith Stanfield as L, but he seems way more dramatic and emotional than the original L

McNum

I haven't really read or watched anything Death Note prior to this, but William Dafoe as... that thing. Yeah that's worth a watch on its own. Hopefully there's a decent movie attached to that.

Doran902

Looks fun, only thing is I think Lights character is quite different from some of the lines / actions he does int he trailer but we shall see. Dafoe gonna be great.

sphagnum

Banned
I guess nobody else thinks L's speech is
an adaptation of when Light kills the impostor L in the first couple episodes after seeing him on tv?

Lol that L

Looks like a C+ movie that you watch drunk late night on Netflix. You can see them trying to stretch that budget as much as possible.

Netflix's Death Note |OT| Taking That L

qq2p.gif

origin story?

Underrated post and that's an incredibly dark commercial

CD'S BAR

Acting seems shit - like an mtv series - and trailer music (probably stock) was awful. However Ryuk/Dafoe looks and sounds awesome.

Broank

Dafoe was literally born to play Ryuk. lol

Wasn't the original Light not a weak punkass? Like, he could actually fight IIRC.

It's been like 10 years since I watched but from what I remember in the manga/anime he was like the perfect student. Top athlete, best looking, had just placed #1 in the country on exams, dad was head of police and Light helped them out with investigations from time to time. Saw himself above everyone else, super confidence in what he was doing and his capabilities and plans.

I guess they are going in a different direction with the character. More of a average every man, actually doubting himself here and there.

Kindekuma

Banned
I'll watch it. Doesn't seem that bad. I mean, if I wanted to watch Death Note for it to follow the source material (or to a degree), I'd watch the anime or the Japanese live action films. I'm still down for this.

He is still Japanese in the anime. Anime characters often call Japanese things by their original Japanese name in English dubs even when there is an English equivalent to the word. Ex. Bento for Lunch box. Onigiri for Rice Ball. Sensei for Teacher.etc

In anime it makes sense for Light to call himself KIRA, as he is still Japanese. in an American movie it doesnt, unless as I said he is obsessed with Japanese stuff.

I mean, if you come in contact with a japanese-styled god of death, Kira suddenly seems fitting, in this universe, tbh.

Apt101

Wasn't the main character in the anime a popular pretty boy and completely remorseless - even believing himself righteous? It has been a long since I watched some of this (at least eight years, since it was before Obama took office), but I don't remember the main character being like how he was portrayed in that trailer.

LotusHD

Banned
Wasn't the main character in the anime a popular pretty boy and completely remorseless - even believing himself righteous? It has been a long since I watched some of this (at least eight years, since it was before Obama took office), but I don't remember the main character being like how he was portrayed in that trailer.

Nope, you're right.

Light seemed a bit too likable in that trailer. I'll allow it if the movie shows him go totally off the rails.

Glad L is keeping his mannerisms.

Dafoe easily is the best part of that trailer. Perfect fit.

Still don't think the movie will great, but we'll see!

So as a super mega death note fan

This looks alright. It's not a direct adaptation. And that's fine, because if it tried to be a direct adapation, I would keep going 'Why didn't they do this or do that or why did they change the dialogue here'. It seems they changed numerous aspects about it, but kept the major driving points-L and his motivation of finding Kira, Light and his belief of 'justice'. Except instead of being set in Japan, it's set in the US.

Light seems to have a different personality, and I hope that's because of the setting. In the Manga and Anime, Light is a Japanese student who is striving for excellence, his father is the police chief, and because of the different dynamics in the Japanese education system and US education, it's alright if it seems that American Light isn't as calculating or maniacal as Japanese Light. Maybe it's the difference in their education, and their general upbringing that they attributed to the setting.

As such, some things may be familiar, but overall it should all feel different from the original version. And I'm glad for that.

Needless to say, I'm hyped for it. I want to say Wingards take on it. This has been something I've been waiting for nearly...what? Since it was first rumored Zac Efron might start as Light in the rumored adaptation, I'm excited to see what it's evolved into.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Looks fun. Don't give a shit about it being faithful to the original if it ends up being a good movie on its own terms. Especially when the original work already gave birth to several versions.

Still have faith in Wingard. Blair Witch is the only thing he was involved with I didn't enjoy much.

Fury451

Banned

You are spot on

Things do not need to be a direct copy in order to be faithful, with the property like this I think the characters need to be faithful to communicate the message though. Changing him is a pretty big difference.

You are spot on

Things do not need to be a direct copy in order to be faithful, with the property like this I think the characters need to be faithful to communicate the message though. Changing him is a pretty big difference.

I would say that the trailer does not give us too much of Lights personality right now.

We don't know if he thinks himself Righteous and a god.

Apt101

You are spot on

Yea, I get that adaptations can't always be faithful, but this feels like someone adapting Blood Meridian and making Judge Holden a sympathetic character.

Top Bottom