• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Death Stranding Discussion (12/2016 trailer)

Xun

A teaser that's full up like a landfill.
A job that slowly killed me.
Games that won't release.

You look so tired and unhappy.
Bring down that Konami.
They don't make the games for us.

I'll take a Quiet waifu.
A grand break - Kojima Productions
And Mikkelsen and Norman Reedus.
Mikkelsen and Norman Reedus.
Mikkelsen and Norman Reedus, please.
Baby Thom? :O

God, imagine if Radiohead were somehow involved in this...

Bring down that Konami.

I'll take a Quiet waifu.

10/10

I hope that Kojima Productions has Shinkawa art plastered all over the walls like they did back when they were a part of Konami!

Mads is in Japan visiting KojiPro right now and Shinkawa drew this

c3a0lamveaesg0g7as9p.jpg

c3a0lakuaaaesikybszi.jpg

c3a0lajueaaajpr3lscf.jpg

c3a0lamveaagsxvdzsfw.jpg

https://twitter.com/HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN/status/824216570180182016

jett

D-Member

Bring down that Konami.

I'll take a Quiet waifu.

lol

Well done sir.

This looks too ambitious. Something that won't make money or something that is too short.

Definitely intriguing. Cannot wait to see how Kojima does something not Metal Gear.

This looks too ambitious. Something that won't make money or something that is too short.

Definitely intriguing. Cannot wait to see how Kojima does something not Metal Gear.

i don't think we know enough about it to say whether its "too" ambitious. It's Kojima so of course it will be ambitious but whether he's in over his head remains to be seen, don't even know how the game plays.

Sooo IGN visited KojiPro?
Hope it's an office tour or a technology/motion capture set up tour.

I doubt we get further details on the game as a whole.

Edit: ahh missed the article linked above. Will read over breakfast.

It's always going to be ambitious as it's Kojima, the fans expect nothing less!

Personally I don't think it'll be a crazy money pit, they already have a free engine with Decima from GG which brings production costs way down.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
That opening shot in the video is the actual entrance to the KojiPro office, fyi. A massive, blindingly white, bright hallway, with a massive statue in the middle. Lit from all sides. The clip doesn't do it justice - it's supposedly nuts. That's how everyone enters the space.

Marty was telling me it's the crazy video game dev space he's ever seen.

Edit: Actually I see now that Marty wrote about it firsthand:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/01/26/hideo-kojima-death-stranding-and-building-the-studio

But upon tapping your employee ID badge on a futuristic-looking podium, a wall opened up, revealing a sight that I've never seen before in the dozens of games studios I've visited. As Hideo Kojima himself told us, ”I want to make something no one has ever seen before, to take them to a place they have never been, to teach them something new."

Like something out of 2001: A Space Odyssey, the entryway to the Kojima Productions office is a long, impossibly-bright hallway. Illuminated on both walls, the floor, and the ceiling, it feels like walking through a decontamination chamber. Kojima remarked that he wanted this hall to act as a space where you can leave behind the noise and distractions of the city, and fully immerse yourself in the projects ahead. The only object in the hallway is a 5 foot tall statue of Ludens, the cosmonaut featured on the Kojima Productions logo. Walking down the hall and passing the statue on our way into the proper studio almost felt like walking through a mission statement.

JOEVIAL

Has a voluptuous plastic labia

Ambitious? Yes, that's for sure!

Something too short? Kojima? I personally don't think we have to worry about this. Most games he has directed have been around 15hrs or more (besides Zone of Enders and Metal Gear NES). IMO, Death Stranding is shaping up to be an epic 15-20 journey me thinks. I think this way because Kojima and his team seem to be going all in for Death Stranding... the way they're shaping the lore and story, it all just feels like it has breadth too it. Kojima and crew want to make a satisfying and lengthy experience that will stay with you for a long time. Well..... this is the way my brain is thinking right now, fingers crossed :)

dracula_x

interview with Hideo Kojima on Glixel → http://www.glixel.com/interviews/hideo-kojima-i-want-to-create-games-until-i-die-w464689

– As someone who designed solar-reactive GBA cartridges for your game Boktai, you often look at game machines for ways you might use them creatively. With that in mind, what is your take on the Nintendo Switch?

– You might be familiar with a thing we created called "Transfarring" which let you transfer data between a PS Vita game and a PS3 game. I see the Switch as an evolution of that idea, where you can play something at home and play it to go. This is the main attraction of this system. For example, movies and TV, you can watch them on basically any device. You can watch them at home, you can watch them on the go. Games will become the same way. The cloud technology is behind the curve in that regard, but that's the correct line of thought, and this is where Nintendo's taking it.

Corpsepyre

Banned
I'm not happy to hear about the large open world. I prefer the linear cinematic story telling experience rather than what V gave us. Maybe it was just that he didn't get to complete V according to his vision, but I'm still skeptical.

Makes me think it will be like The Division. All this 'CONNECTIONS' bullshit.

Is this still confirmed or has it even been confirmed for PC?

It has not, but every GameSpot article likes to say it has been. The only time that the game was being talked about for PC was prior to the founding of Kojima's new studio. Radio silence since. Personally, I wouldn't expect a PC release. If there is one, it would be a wonderful surprise, but there's been nothing to suggest such a release, thus far.

DevilDog

It has not, but every GameSpot article likes to say it has been. The only time that the game was being talked about for PC was prior to the founding of Kojima's new studio. Radio silence since. Personally, I wouldn't expect a PC release. If there is one, it would be a wonderful surprise, but there's been nothing to suggest such a release, thus far.

I think it will be the same thing with NieR.

Full silence about the PC version so people can focus on the ps4 versions, then full ads for the PC version.

I think it will be the same thing with NieR.

Full silence about the PC version so people can focus on the ps4 versions, then full ads for the PC version.

Only problem with a pc version right now is that the game runs on Sony's Decima Engine. Not saying it can't happen, but I doubt Guerilla were interested in making Decima optimised for the diversity of different pc set ups, also factor in whether Sony would even allow them to use Decima if the game had a pc release.

Of course, they may have bent over backwards for Kojima, unfortunately there's no way of knowing right now what the situation is.

dracula_x

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2017...interview-strands-decima-and-guerrilla-games/

Can you tell us more about the gameplay?

I can't really speak on that right now but in a word, it's an action game – an open world game, with a lot of freedom. You have a lot of freedom of choice to do what you want to do and you can get in vehicles and so on. If you are a fighter, there's plenty of opportunity for that. If you're not that type of player, there are other ways to play this game. I can't really say much more, but it's an open-world, action game that's very intuitive to play. Once you get into the world and start to explore more, we're hoping there's something there you've never seen before.

It has also been said that Death Stranding will feature a new type of online play, differing from the traditional. Can you tell us more about this type of gameplay?

Again, this is something that we can't say a lot about at the moment but if you want to play the game stand-alone, without an online component, that's perfectly fine. We do have an online component and, again, it's different as there will be something different versus what most people expect from an online game. A lot of games have a ‘campaign mode' and once you're done with that you take it to the online mode. This game is not that kind of structure.

I guess DS online aspect could be inspired by Stranger Things, i.e. when both players see the world different from their POV, but at the same time they can interact with each other.

Top Bottom