• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Debating whether to buy PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds... grrr

I love FPS/TPS especially ones that involve strategy/teamwork, slow and methodical with a sense of survivalism and realism as opposed to those fast-paced in-and-outers like DOOM and Wolfenstein. For example I like the ARMA and SWAT games, as well as the old Ghost Recon and Rainbow Six games.

Will I like this game?

I've watched a few videos, it honestly seems like DayZ done right just without the broken zombies, and it looks alright... nothing especially that stands out that screams MUST BUY, but on the other hand, it fulfils the criteria I'm looking for.

But the reason I'm asking is because I very rarely play online/MP games anymore and I'm aware this game is online-only, but are there any servers with bots or able to host a private server? Or maybe even some kind of training mode? I'm not sure £27 is worth the asking price...

bigkrev

Buy it, play it for 90ish minutes, Steam Refund it if you don't like it

No amount of anyone telling you anything is going to do more to convince you if you will like the game than actually playing it.

georly

I am super apathetic about shooters. I dislike online shooters even more. I get super bored.

After one round of pubg i was hooked. It's a fun game. I think you'll like it if someone like me can.

It's fun - albeit if you are a PvE only type of person, Wildlands might be a better buy.

But with that said, nothing really gets the heart pumping as much as Battlegrounds.

What makes it a must buy is the tension you feel while playing. It's a fantastic feeling. The amount of crazy stuff that can happen makes its replayability nearly infinite. It's a damn good game and I think you'd enjoy it. If for some reason you don't...it's 30 bucks.

Trace

Banned
Play with friends, and honestly if you enjoy ARMA you'd probably like PUBG. They share a lot of the same DNA in game design.

The fun comes from playing with and against real people, a bot couldn't replicate what happens.

The pacing and strategy/gunplay sounds right up your alley. I haven't been addicted to an online shooter in literally a decade and I've put 131 hours into this so far. I fucking love it.

That said, I rarely play solo. It's not bad solo, just a little too intense for me for long sessions. If you have friends to play with it's an absolutely blast. It's brought me the most tense, the most hilarious and the most elated gameplay experiences of my life. I love that we can be super strategic and patient, or just run around like a bunch of idiots crashing through fences in a jeep, and whether it ends in success (rare) or dismal failure (often) it's always fun as hell.

i play it solo, third person view, and love 1-2 games a day. I actually enjoy watching streams of the game much more, someone like grimmz is on a whole nother level compared to my play ability so its just really fun for me watching what other people can do with the game but I still also really enjoy playing a game, although 90% of the time I end up getting shot gunned in the face as I walk into a building.

It is definitely way more fun in squads and now FPS mode i guess but my schedule rarely allows for that, but its the most fun I've had in gaming in a while now and every game is different and unique. There is just something very satisfying about how everything comes together in PUBG, from the super fast queues to the movement to the gun attachments to the speed of the game (in terms of circle pacing) and the excitement of the rare crate find.

Venfayth

My friend who told me he hates shooters, after I convinced him to play a couple rounds with me and refund it if he didnt like it, now has almost 300 hours with me in the game. Obviously it's not going to be the same for everyone, but you owe it to yourself to try it, especially since by your own description it seems like something you'd enjoy.

Tagyhag

No amount of anyone telling you anything is going to do more to convince you if you will like the game than actually playing it.

This, all you have to lose is data if you have a cap.

And, as someone who also enjoys ARMA, SWAT, Rainbow Six games, but doesn't really play MP games anymore, I love it.

It's the first MP-only game that's hooked me since Planetside 2.

I'd watched a lot of videos and figured it wouldn't be for me. One night I drunkenly purchased it, thinking I'd refund it, but I had to know if I'd enjoy it.

Now, 12 hours later, I love it. I'm awful at it, and I've only played solo, but the stress I feel when I actually make it to the top 10 is addictive.

As others said, buy it and give it a shot and refund it if you don't like it. It depends on how well you do, but two hours will get you anywhere from 2-5 matches.

DKF590

The game has a really addicting gameplay loop. From the initial looting to the final moments you pretty much have steady increase in tension as the game goes on. Add in a large variety of areas that firefights can take place in and you have a recipe for a game that makes you want to jump right back in.

Plenty of things can be criticised about the game, but they are all easy to overlook when the core gameplay is as addicting as it is.

are there any servers with bots

You dont want this. The reason the same is good is that you panic, and need to quickly formulate a plan, when you encounter a real person. You will not get the same feeling if you meet someone that you know is CPU controlled

I enjoy watching other people play it more than actually playing it. It's just a very stressful game, especially alone.

Steam refund is your friend - try it out.

pr0cs

I hate competitive shooters but I love pubg. one in every 10 or so matches I actually do well so clearly I'm terrible at it but it has a tension that really isn't matched in most games which is what keeps people coming back.

If you do have online friends the game is fabulous together

I been thinking of this myself but, I came to the conclusion that I like the experience it offers rather than me probably playing it so I am not getting it for now. Seems really good with friends but, all the actual gameplay part of doesn't interest me in the slightest.

However if the gameplay looks any bit of fun to you OP you will probably like it. Remember though it's a little jank here and there.
Yes. 7 million people have already bought it. It's GOTY.
4p9ohi4.jpg

Alright people I'll take your word on it and do the whole 2 hour then refund it if I don't like it, but I'm gonna play solo cause if I play with a friend or group I might exceed the 2 hour limit by accident! Whether I end up liking it or not I'll post my impressions back in this thread, and if I do end up liking it, I might join the PUBG Discord to get some games on with others.

Joey Ravn

Banned
I been thinking of this myself but, I came to the conclusion that I like the experience it offers rather than me probably playing it so I am not getting it for now. Seems really good with friends but, all the actual gameplay part of doesn't interest me in the slightest.

However if the gameplay looks any bit of fun to you OP you will probably like it.

4p9ohi4.jpg

I'm not saying it's GOTY because 7 million people have bought it. I'm saying that 1. it's extremely popular and 2. it's the best game this year. Correlation isn't causation.

Pub G is one of those games where you just gotta try it. Streams had me interested but I was on the fence. After a couple rounds I was super into it.

prag16

Banned

One and done.

With some games an hour or two isn't enough to really tell what you're getting into. But for this game I say buy it, jump into some solo matches and play for at least an hour. You should have a very good idea whether you'll like it or not. And depending on whether you have friends to play with, duo and squads could be even better, but ymmv.

Piers

Same boat. Largely because a friend is playing it a lot, and since he's bought and joined me in a lot of games, I'd like to return the favour.

If you have a group of people you can play regularly with, I say it's probably worth your time. But if you're planning on going mostly solo, steer clear in my opinion.

dohma

I'm not saying it's GOTY because 7 million people have bought it. I'm saying that 1. it's extremely popular and 2. it's the best game this year. Correlation isn't causation.

wut? "im not saying its going to win because its popular, im saying its going to win because its popular and i like it"

Chris R

I want to buy the game but I also want it to reach a "finished" state and hopefully get a better name at the same time lol :(

Trace

Banned
wut? "im not saying its going to win because its popular, im saying its going to win because its popular and i like it"

How about "It's going to win because it's the best game that's been released to the public so far this year"?

J_Viper

I'm sure it's a blast with friends, but I tried a few matches solo yesterday and it wasn't at all for me. I'm glad I tried it on a friend's account first before I spent my own money.

It was basically me scavenging for equipment for ten minutes before getting lit up by the first person I encounter. This happened four times in a row.

If you're looking for PvE, this isn't the game for you. Check out Wildlands instead

Top Bottom