• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft interested in adding PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds-esque modes to their games

HowZatOZ

Banned
My biggest problem is going to be other devs not understanding why PUBG works the way it does while still being exciting each and every match. I could see Activision and Ubisoft adding Battle Royale type modes to their main line series but what I fear is it either being so watered down of the concept or so bloated that it just won't be exhilarating and fun like PUBG.

The reason I love PUBG so much is that each and every round is 100% different because of its simplistic mechanics and push on the player's being the drivers of the experience. If you try and craft a world in a battle royale game or bloat it with unnecessary stuff like alliance or stupid capturing points then it becomes in no way like what PUBG or in fact what battle royale as an idea is: fast paced combat that can change at a whim on player interaction and consequence.

I'm all for more battle royale concepts and want to see more interesting maps, weapons and gameplay shenanigans but it has to be done in respect of the action that the genre illicits.

blakep267

Let me when Rockstar says they're interested

A GTA with 100 people on the map and all the vehicles and weapons available would be glorious.
EH GTA's gunplay and movement isn't that great TBH. For all the flaws that UBI games have, they control really well. The Division or Far Cry 4 with a BR mode would be amazing

I want one in a cartoony style, still competitive just more colorful. I hate realism in my games, if I wanted realistic bushes, I'll look outside.

nomis

Day Z, H1Z1 and now Battlegrounds have laid the foundation for a more competent developer to make the perfect Battle Royal game without all the jank.

quoted this blazing hot take in case anyone missed it

Sir were you aware that PUBG hasn’t released yet?

MUnited83

For you.

Sir were you aware that PUBG hasn’t released yet?

Not to mention I really doubt a single one of the AAA publishers can actually pull off massive map with 100 fucking players on it playing all at the same time without the game being really, really janky.

HowZatOZ

Banned
Not to mention I really doubt a single one of the AAA publishers can actually pull off massive map with 100 fucking players on it playing all at the same time without the game being really, really janky.
Considering BlueHole is only at where they are with PUBG because PlayerUnknown began the quest of battle royale gaming way back in Arma 2 as a mod of the already existing DayZ mod, it will indeed be a struggle for AAA to get it just right. Alongside that a game mode like battle royale is super hard to pull off right at the best of times with indie devs having more freedom, whereas AAA aren't as lucky in most cases.

Not to say a big studio like Ubisoft or Activision can't do what PUBG has been able to achieve, I just kind of doubt it when they struggle with their mainline series already. There's also the fact Indies can enjoy more development freedom.not just in being indie but with early access as well.

EH GTA's gunplay and movement isn't that great TBH. For all the flaws that UBI games have, they control really well. The Division or Far Cry 4 with a BR mode would be amazing

Until there are sticky bombs, tanks, gatling guns, fire trucks, fighter jets in Far Cry with GTA's physics and game world, then that's a moot point for me.

This is what they should turn Metal Gear Survive into. What I am really saying is that I want to be able to fulton downed players and vehicles in Battlegrounds so that everyone on the map close by can see.

jwk94

“Battle Royale” style gameplay modes: drop a large number of players in an arena, let them to collect weapons and equipment, force them into progressively smaller areas of the map to funnel players together, last man (or squad) standing wins.

Oh snap. That sounds pretty cool!

Sir were you aware that PUBG hasn't released yet?

Sir were you aware of Day Z and H1Z1? Both are still in early access to this day.

Don't get me wrong. I hope PUBG can iron out some of the issues and officially release. It's a fun game. But I'm not holding my breath.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Can not believe it took one game to help shape multiplayer this quick.

It wasn't just one game and it wasn't that quick.

Battle Royale as a sub-genre has been around for awhile now. The real reason it hasn't shown up from the big publishers is because it isn't easy and if you can't nail it it isn't worth the effort in the first place. Even if you have it working you can ruin it all with a handful of decisions (just look at what happened to The Culling).

Sir were you aware of Day Z and H1Z1? Both are still in early access to this day.

Don't get me wrong. I hope PUBG can iron out some of the issues and officially release. It's a fun game. But I'm not holding my breath.

PUBG has already ironed out more---or at least more important to the players---issues than the previous two combined and is in better shape than them in a matter of months instead of years. I don't think it is accurate to lump them in a category less broad than "early-access games". It's already in better shape than any non-id Bethesda game in memory. The majority of the jank at this point is in the vehicle physics, IMHO.

Doesn't the structure of the game (min 100 player requirement) create potential issues in matchmaking if everyone starts creating these massive playground modes? Not enough user base to sustain both core game modes and these offshoots? (not to mention multiple competing Battle Royale games?)

Most devs dont give a fuck about matchmaking, look at Battlefield, Battlefront1 and Cod for example, both have multiple maps dlc and a ton of game modes that divide the community.

This will also affect PUBG with the new "FPS only" servers.

Top Bottom