• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft interested in adding PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds-esque modes to their games

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
An analyst asked Ubisoft on their call about PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds, if it had been eating into the audience for games like Rainbow Six, and if Ubisoft was interested in making something like this.

Ubisoft said they were interested in launching modes like this for their existing games as DLC (presumably free DLC given their direction).

It's worth noting that Ubisoft was surveying about this type of mode for The Division back before PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds came out based on H1Z1's astronomical success, so that's one of them, assuredly.

Is PUBG going to launch a spawn of clones like Minecraft did?

I know there have been other PUBG like games out there before, but this is the one that really took off.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Is PUBG going to launch a spawn of clones like Minecraft did?

I know there have been other PUBG like games out there before, but this is the one that really took off.

H1Z1 is actually still bigger in terms of total sales.

H1Z1: 6,330,690 ± 65,438
PUBG: 4,917,577 ± 57,774

Mind, PUBG will overtake H1Z1.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Ofcourse they are. So is EA and Activision, probably.

Not far-fetched to see the next mainline COD implementing a battle royale mode.

jtb

Banned
Doesn't the structure of the game (min 100 player requirement) create potential issues in matchmaking if everyone starts creating these massive playground modes? Not enough user base to sustain both core game modes and these offshoots? (not to mention multiple competing Battle Royale games?)

Or is the expectation that people die off quickly enough in these kinds of modes that it doesn't matter and the player base repopulates itself very quickly?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Doesn't the structure of the game (min 100 player requirement) create potential issues in matchmaking if everyone starts creating these massive playground modes? Not enough user base to sustain both core game modes and these offshoots? (not to mention multiple competing Battle Royale games?)

Or is the expectation that people die off quickly enough in these kinds of modes that it doesn't matter and the player base repopulates itself very quickly?
It can vary a bit. Some of them might also be lower player count since they don't actually have to take place on a giant map.

Like with The Division, I imagine it'd be the same 20 players as Survival.

Ghost Recon on the other hand would make more sense with like 50-100.

It doesn't have to be 100 players. Can't recall the name, but at MS E3 presser this year there was that shoutcasted trailer for a Battle Royale game which has a smaller player count iirc with hero type characters. Similarly Amazon is doing a 12 player BR like game with customizable heroes and the ability to make allies.

Gator86

Has to come to the Division. It's almost literally a perfect fit, especially given the existing survival dlc. This should definitely happen.

dLMN8R

Has to come to the Division. It's almost literally a perfect fit, especially given the existing survival dlc. This should definitely happen.

Yeah, exactly what I was thinking. The Battle Royale mode seems perfect for The Division and many other game settings.

Speaking of which, I really need to buy that Division DLC already....

yuraya

Ubisoft missed the opportunity with The Divison's DLC. What they should have done was spun the surivial stuff into its own standalone game costing like 20$ or something. It would have done very well without actually promoting the needless game itself. By now they would have millions of people playing and have a solid foundation for this type of PUBG stuff. The downside to AAA devs and pubs is they are completely out of touch with the gaming community. They care about selling base games instead of giving people what they want.

Kalentan

Yeah. All they would need to do is make it the entire map, up the player count, and then remove NPCs.

If Konami were smart, they'd make a AAA PUBG 100 man battle royal game using fox engine.

I can see this being anywhere from 20 players and faster paced too being a full 100 player game. At least one AAA dev is going to take PUBG and just give it stupid high production values. And I think there's a market for that.

Honestly this is what i thought the dark zone was gonna be.

Gator86

Yeah, exactly what I was thinking. The Battle Royale mode seems perfect for The Division and many other game settings.

Yeah. All they would need to do is make it the entire map, up the player count, and then remove NPCs.

Absolutely. It's a perfect fit in terms of gameplay, tone, and design. Also, they'd be able to beat Pubg to the punch on PS4. I'm excited for the possibility of this now. I wish I played more survival when it came out. I got distracted by so much other stuff even though it was really good.

Absolutely. It's a perfect fit in terms of gameplay, tone, and design. Also, they'd be able to beat Pubg to the punch on PS4. I'm excited for the possibility of this now. I wish I played more survival when it came out. I got distracted by so much other stuff even though it was really good.
Put loot on the ground. Random starting spawns, circles. Go.

It's pretty simple to do I think. And it's much faster paced just based on the nature of the game and it's RPG mechanics.

daevv

The Division's second expansion Survival was fairly similar. Fun too!

I'm surprised the mode was not added to GTA V Online already....or has it?

Ubisoft could definitely do that type of game mode well, and already have a couple titles well suited for it... Wildlands and The Division.

The Survival expansion is the only thing I bother playing when I boot up The Division. I like it a lot.

I'm surprised the mode was not added to GTA V Online already....or has it?

Rockstar could bring back Manhunt in a big way making it open world battle royal.

Match this mode with a PvE Dark Zone and that game could resuscitate itself.

Condense Wildlands map, add building you can go into (this is key) and add this, and I'll buy it.
You can go into most buildings in Wildlands, so that part is already there.

It's only a matter of time.

Day Z, H1Z1 and now Battlegrounds have laid the foundation for a more competent developer to make the perfect Battle Royal game without all the jank.

EA with Frostbite and Dice, I think are in the best position to get something similar up and out the soonest.

I honestly think hitscan weapons just wouldn't work if they are looking to capture the same feel.

Daylight

A while ago, before PUBG was released, Massive sent out a post-release Division survey that asked about interest in a "Battle Royale" styled game mode. I think this survey was sent out after the Survival DLC was released, so I thought that they would alter that game mode to have it, but it never happened. At least it hasn't happened yet, they'll probably just save it for The Division 2.

Starviper

A while ago, before PUBG was released, Massive sent out a post-release Division survey that asked about interest in a "Battle Royale" styled game mode. I think this survey was sent out after the Survival DLC was released, so I thought that they would alter that game mode to have it, but it never happened. At least it hasn't happened yet, they'll probably just save it for The Division 2.

After playing PUBG I actually kinda wish they had some form of their game in the division. Would make the Dark Zone areas way more balanced and fun.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
What is this PlayerUnknown game doing that Ubisoft wants to copy? All the footage I've seen makes it look like a standard third-person shooter.

Daylight

What is this PlayerUnknown game doing that Ubisoft wants to copy? All the footage I've seen makes it look like a standard third-person shooter.

It's specifically the Battle Royale game mode. It's kind of a roguelike game mode for first and third person shooters, or just a huge elimination mode. Whatever suits your fancy.

How much footage did you watch? It's the structure of the game that they want to copy. Battle Royale, large player count, everyone starts with nothing, loots weapons, items what not as fast as possible and are forced into a smaller and smaller safe zone to fight to survive until there is only one man/squad left standing in 30ish min rounds. No respawns, one life for each player. You die, you either spectating teammates or returned to the lobby to queue up again into a new match.

Bizzquik

Watch Dogs 3 would be perfect for this mode.

Oh my word, yes.

I remember how the first game would take small sections of the map and just let players run loose in them in either free-for-all multiplayer or team-based-keep-away. The DNA was there. Just take that and do it for the whole map - and keep all the game's toys.

The best part about giving Watch Dogs the PUBG treatment is that the world-building would already be done due to how much effort they put into the single-player story.

Phamit

Okay, I am lost.

What is this PlayerUnknowns Battlegrounds?

It's Hunger Games and Day Z without Zombies combined. There is a large map, you loot stuff, but the Map get's smaller and smaller. Last Man Standing wins.

It's the newest Early Access hype game

MUnited83

For you.
It would be fucking amazing in Wildlands.

That said, I'm not quite sure their engines are ready to handle 100 players in one giant map that needs to keep track of everyone's position and all the items scattered through it.

VexyWexy

It doesn't have to be 100 players. Can't recall the name, but at MS E3 presser this year there was that shoutcasted trailer for a Battle Royale game which has a smaller player count iirc with hero type characters. Similarly Amazon is doing a 12 player BR like game with customizable heroes and the ability to make allies.

For me, at least, the huge player count is most of the appeal. If they did something like 20ish players it wouldn't feel much different than Search and Destroy or just a regular round of R6 Siege, or any 1 life per round game that already exists.

If we're destined to get AAA clones of PUBG, they need to do it right and not just half-assedly shoehorn it into their existing games.

It would be fucking amazing in Wildlands.

That said, I'm not quite sure their engines are ready to handle 100 players in one giant map that needs to keep track of everyone's position and all the items scattered through it.

Yeah, that's why I think EA is in the best position. Battlefield on Frostbite does a lot that needs to be done. Large player count shooter on large maps with long draw distances and vehicles.

Memento

It's Hunger Games and Day Z without Zombies combined. There is a large map, you loot stuff, but the Map get's smaller and smaller. Last Man Standing wins.

It's the newest Early Access hype game

Hmmmm interesting

Will look out for more info and footage later

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
i'm down for people to try their hand at battle royale modes

id love a bright, accessible, controller friendly take on it

Top Bottom