• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

December Comic |OT| Apocalypse NOW - Time Enough At Last.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Telosfortelos

Advocate for the People
Possible ideas:
* The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen
* Planetary
* Transmetropolitan
* Y the Last Man

Planetary might be very much up your alley, and it's a relatively small investment since it wrapped up at 27 issues.

Nice, thanks! Planetary does look really interesting. Superhero deconstruction is always fun, and with its grand scale, this one seems particularly in line with my interest. I hadn't heard of it, but I'm really interested now. And I should probably read something of Warren Ellis's (I've heard good things about Transmetropolitan before too, so that's also something I'll look in to as well).

Y I'm afraid of (length once again, especially for something I'm afraid I'll really like and want to finish quickly), but considering the hype I've always been really interested in it. I want to see how Brian Vaughan handles the gender issues, criticism for which has been curiously absent from the things I've seen written about the series. I'm sort of hoping I can just read Saga and get a feel for Vaughan that way.

League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, like Swamp Thing, is something I feel like I should experience at some point, but I don't know how I feel about having to drop the comic after Moore's run ends. I've never been engaged in a series when some really powerful author gives it up to someone more traditional, and I guess that's sort of kept me away. I should probably bite the bullet one of these days and pick up at least a trade of each.

frye

League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, like Swamp Thing, is something I feel like I should experience at some point, but I don't know how I feel about having to drop the comic after Moore's run ends. I've never been engaged in a series when some really powerful author gives it up to someone more traditional, and I guess that's sort of kept me away. I should probably bite the bullet one of these days and pick up at least a trade of each.

...? LoEG is creator owned dude. Moore and Kevin O'Neill do all of it.

Telos, definitely checkout Planetary. It holds up well under multiple readings too.

If you like science fiction, I'd check out anything by Jonathan Hickman. His fantastic four run is phenomenal if you're thinking about dipping into the mainstream superhero stuff

ReiGun

I talked about briefly on the previous page. I love the way Johns writes Arthur and Mera, thanks to him they've become two of my favorite DC characters. The super dickery from the Trinity at the end cracked me up, "
You get once chance to talk to Orm Arthur and then we're coming for him. BTW one chance means five minutes and we're totally gonna eavesdrop and then decide for you how it's going.
"

You're giving the Trinity too much credit.
That was like two minutes. Then they tried to put Arthur in kids corner telling him how shit was gonna go down.
Superdickery at its finest.

"Throne of Atlantis" is off to a really good start. Mera going to work and Arthur's interactions with Batman were the highlights for me. Shazam backup was great as usual.

Telosfortelos

Advocate for the People
Telos, definitely checkout Planetary. It holds up well under multiple readings too.

If you like science fiction, I'd check out anything by Jonathan Hickman. His fantastic four run is phenomenal if you're thinking about dipping into the mainstream superhero stuff
Would you recommend his Fantastic Four run over his Manhattan Projects stuff? And is his Fantastic Four run pretty self contained? I'm always interested in reading a bit of the big serials, but again, always afraid. The fact that I'm so tempted to pick up so many is why I have to be cautious.

sca2511

Hoped that my LCS would have had the Ditko variant of ASM since I reserved it months back, but no luck, gave it to someone it seems. eBay prices for it are crazy.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise

Alan Moore never leaves League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. He just releases a new tale once in a while.

* League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: Vol I
* League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: Vol II
* League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: Black Dossier
* League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: Vol III: Century
*** Chapter 1: 1910
*** Chapter 2: 1969
*** Chapter 3: 2009
* Nemo: Heart of Ice

Really, the best stuff is the first two volumes. You can quit there and not feel like you're missing anything. Each full volume ends by wrapping up a story, not with a cliffhanger or anything.

Actually, it's something your local library might have. Check out what kind of collection they have.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
It gave us asshole Iron Man though. And in a way made Captain America not a joke.

What do you mean "gave us asshole iron man"? Hes been an asshole before cw. And cap has never been a joke. He starred down thanos with no fear. The man has balls of uru.

Over half the people I've talked to want either Avengers 2 or 3 to be a Civil War adaptation, so I think we are already there.

But.....why? That's an absolutely horrible idea. Half of the movie is tony being a dick, and the other half is caps crew being constantly attacked by supervillains and standard pro registration dickery? No thanks.

Acid08

Banned
Would you recommend his Fantastic Four run over his Manhattan Projects stuff? And is his Fantastic Four run pretty self contained? I'm always interested in reading a bit of the big serials, but again, always afraid. The fact that I'm so tempted to pick up so many is why I have to be cautious.
imo Manhattan Projects is the book to go for. It's entirely unique and is still in its infancy.

Ponn

Banned
What do you mean "gave us asshole iron man"? Hes been an asshole before cw. And cap has never been a joke. He starred down thanos with no fear. The man has balls of uru.

During and Post Civil War Iron Man was a new level though, not just drunken assholery. It was Tony in charge of Shield hunting people, megalomaniac, destroying lives level of assholery. He was a superhero that people were actually cheering when he fell and became hunted by Osborn.

And it was a joke when Captain stood up against Thanos and got squashed and flicked away. I'm not saying Civil War was some masterpiece but just saying it did start or reinforce some interesting character changes going on at that time.

Expect Speedball, lets not bring up Speedball.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Grab both dude. Manhattan Projects is newer, but FF is complete (and 100% self-contained). It's really hard to go wrong with Hickman, easily my favorite writer in comics today.

Telosfortelos

Advocate for the People
Grab both dude. Manhattan Projects is newer, but FF is complete (and 100% self-contained). It's really hard to go wrong with Hickman, easily my favorite writer in comics today.

Haha, it's a problem of limited resources and unlimited interests, I'm afraid. And god damn is orange county expensive. But I'm interested in both, and will hopefully pick them up before long. There's lots of really positive buzz about that Fantastic Four run and Hickman in general. It definitely seems like something I'd enjoy.

Acid08's point about Manhattan Projects being in its infancy is also compelling. I sort of like the idea of following a couple of ongoings, and with Saga, that would make a very manageable two.

Parallax

During and Post Civil War Iron Man was a new level though, not just drunken assholery. It was Tony in charge of Shield hunting people, megalomaniac, destroying lives level of assholery. He was a superhero that people were actually cheering when he fell and became hunted by Osborn.

And it was a joke when Captain stood up against Thanos and got squashed and flicked away. I'm not saying Civil War was some masterpiece but just saying it did start or reinforce some interesting character changes going on at that time.

Expect Speedball, lets not bring up Speedball.

He was a dick during the armor wars when he fucked up the guardsmens shit. He runs the gamut from dick to genius quite often.

And anyone non cosmic would have been swatted by thanos, but very few cosmic or not would nave the balls to stand up to the terror of titan. That's hardly something that seems like a joke.

And speedball got utterly fucking destroyed for a shit event.

Isak_Borg

Haha, it's a problem of limited resources and unlimited interests, I'm afraid. And god damn is orange county expensive. But I'm interested in both, and will hopefully pick them up before long. There's lots of really positive buzz about that Fantastic Four run and Hickman in general. It definitely seems like something I'd enjoy.

Acid08's point about Manhattan Projects being in its infancy is also compelling. I sort of like the idea of following a couple of ongoings, and with Saga, that would make a very manageable two.

Hickman's Fantastic Four is probably one of the most amazing runs in mainstream comics in years. It really is a thing of beauty and something that needs to be picked up by everyone. It'll be one of those runs people will still be talking about and looking back to fifty years from now.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
mfw reading Spidey 700.

zuRO7.jpg

Anybody that ever said a bad word about Slott can jump in a lake.

mfw reading Spidey 700.

zuRO7.jpg

Anybody that ever said a bad word about Slott can jump in a lake.

I used to like Slott. I mean, we'll still see how Superior turns out (from the words of others, I mean), but I started following him on Twitter and I don't like him very much anymore.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
I've always been fascinated with villains "winning" in comics and I think this was a good way to have that but rather than having him carrying on as a maniacal schemer behind the mask instead Slott imbued him with some of the traits and mythos of Peter Parker.

Tonally, I hope it doesn't tread TOO close to Yost's Scarlet Spider, but if it did that would be further fuel to shut all the insufferable fucking complainers up since that book's great.

Vyer

Just finished reading #700.

Slott's writing still isn't 'for me', just like I discovered when I went through the first five or six issues of his run. The event stuff doesn't bother me in comics, as long as the story is good.

Some of it was entertaining, but so much of it still a jumble that seemed awkward; Parker deciding to kill an enemy, the 'mind meld' turning Ock so quickly, the weird Mary Jane stuff... when I tried Big Time it felt a lot like a bunch of ideas with no real focus, and I still get that vibe from it.

Oh well. Worth a read anyway I suppose.

ReiGun

That Superior Spider-Man thread is amazing. Always fun to see all the people who come out of the woodwork just to shit on comics.

Parallax

I don't see why. They're all poorly drawn and nothing but stupid event after stupid event!

Maybe we should make some threads about good things in comics...

I know its a direct analog thing, but it irritates me when manga is brought up as being better, when there's just as much, if not more garbage in the east.

ReiGun

Manga vs. comics is literally the falsest dichotomy everrrr

Seriously. I'll admit I've read more comics than manga, but it all just seems like the same shit to me. Condemning one while exalting the other just feels dumb, and I've never heard a good reasoning for it from either side of the fence.

Parallax

Seriously. I'll admit I've read more comics than manga, but it all just seems like the same shit to me. Condemning one while exalting the other just feels dumb, and I've never heard a good reasoning for it from either side of the fence.

Yup. The shit to gold ratio is incredibly high in both markets

MartyStu

Everything but the Bat-books and Wonder Woman seem to follow a sort of continuity if that's what you mean.

That is exactly what I mean.

Wonder Woman is completely out of sync it seems.

And the Bat Books are all over the place. And the Superman seems to be out of sync as well...

LiQuid!

That was almost cold-blooded.

Stan is still one of the best ball busters of all time even at the ripe old age of howeverthefuckold. Watching those old specials he did with Liefeld and McFarlane where he just gave them shit about 90s comics is a total hoot. It's so hard to tell when he's being complimentary or kicking you in the nuts!

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Stan is still one of the best ball busters of all time even at the ripe old age of howeverthefuckold. Watching those old specials he did with Liefeld and McFarlane where he just gave them shit about 90s comics is a total hoot. It's so hard to tell when he's being complimentary or kicking you in the nuts!
Haha yeah, the specials with Liefeld are gold. I should watch the McFarlane ones.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Guys. Guys.

Guys.

Hawkguy? Y'all were right about Hawkguy. What an absolute treasure of a book. I've never read anything like this from DC or Marvel.

Thank you for talking about it, or I would've never picked it up.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Bro. Bro.

Bro.

Hawkguy? Y'all were right about Hawkguy. What an absolute treasure of a book. I've never read anything like this from DC or Marvel.

Fixed.

And yep, it's really great. I also have to thank the discussion in this thread for getting me interested.

Guys. Guys.

Guys.

Picked it up on a whim while putzing around on my mother's ipad christmas day. The book is magical. One of the rare books from Marvel these days that I'd hand off to a non-comic reader.

Based on your comments after each issue of Hawkeye is published, the series is truly of the god tier. Because I'm stuck on the stone age (and mostly because I don't own a tablet), I mostly read my comics in physical format. And when is the first Hawkeye tpb coming out? March the 26th, 2013. This wait is going to kill me.

FoneBone

I knew what Aja was going for, but the fact that the background is directly from the old beat-em-up makes it cooler.

Yeah, I had figured the video game look was deliberate, but I didn't catch that it was a direct reference to the Cap & the Avengers game.

LiQuid!

While we're talking Hawkeye, I can't be the only one who missed this:

Z48N9.jpg

ENwsz.jpg

The second they released that page in the previews I wanted someone to do a rom hack to put Aja's art over the sprites. :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom