• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

December Wrasslin' |OT| Dreaming of a Vanilla Christmas

FromSoftware considering a Dark Souls Trilogy release on Nintendo Switch

MCQpzzm.gif
1 great game and two sequels that couldn't lace Bloodborne's boots.

The Switch is winning, friends.

Sephzilla

1 great game and two sequels that couldn't lace Bloodborne's boots.

The Switch is winning, friends.

I dunno, I thought Dark Souls 3 was as good as the original game. Dark Souls 2 is the dogshit one.
Bloodborne is the best one, though.

Now Sony needs to get on that Demon's Souls remaster.

Seriously though, the Switch is the most excited I've been for a Nintendo console since the Gamecube and I love the Gamecube.

The Switch just looks so traditional.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I've been burned by Nintendo way too many times over systems that are alleged to be hype but then aren't

oh who am I kidding where do I sign up for Switch

imBask

Banned
there's a strong correlation between people who say Bloodborne is great and people who hate HHH, they both can't form an opinion and need the help of vocal people on the internet to do it for them

giphy.gif

Bunch of marks, the lot of ya! We all know 3rd party support for the Switch is gonna die around 6 months in after nothing but late ports, shovelware and "test games," and Nintendo's 1st party output is just gonna be a load of garbage in the vein of Star Fox Zero, Metroid FedForce, Super Mario 3D Blast and the like. The only game they have that can really even draw anymore is Pokemon, and, no matter how much people put faith in that Eurogamer rumor, the reality is Gamefreak's lazy asses aren't gonna get a mainline game on the Switch for at least another 2 years. Why can't Nintendo just get with the program and start kneeling at the feet of the 3rd parties while making a watered down PC?

Sephzilla

Seriously though, the Switch is the most excited I've been for a Nintendo console since the Gamecube and I love the Gamecube.

The Switch just looks so traditional.

I've been burned by Nintendo way too many times over systems that are alleged to be hype but then aren't

oh who am I kidding where do I sign up for Switch

I'll end up getting a Switch but I'm keeping my expectations in check because, since the N64, Nintendo has always had at least one major fuck up with their consoles.

N64: Sticking with cartridges over CD-Roms
GC: Going with stupid mini discs when everyone else was jumping to DVDs. Also, looking like a fucking kiddy lunch box.
Wii: Lack of hardware power, laughable online capabilities, friend codes, waggle.
WiiU: Gimmicky touchpad shit, still laughable online capabilities, underpowered compared to competition.

Considering that the Switch is still underpowered compared to the competition and it supposedly has dog shit battery life, I don't see it really taking off. Nintendo should have followed suit with Sony and just made a fucking normal console.

People who keep thinking this time around Nintendo is going to get great third party support needs a talking to from Papa Book.

tumblr_ohorjxZ49m1u1ljrzo1_500.gif

But as long as it's cheap, and get's mainline Mario, Zelda & Metroid games. It will be the perfect supplement to my PS4.

I'll end up getting a Switch but I'm keeping my expectations in check because, since the N64, Nintendo has always had at least one major fuck up with their consoles.

N64: Sticking with cartridges over CD-Roms
GC: Going with stupid mini discs when everyone else was jumping to DVDs. Also, looking like a fucking kiddy lunch box.
Wii: Lack of hardware power, laughable online capabilities, friend codes, waggle.
WiiU: Gimmicky touchpad shit, still laughable online capabilities, underpowered compared to competition.

Considering that the Switch is still underpowered compared to the competition and it supposedly has dog shit battery life, I don't see it really taking off. Nintendo should have followed suit with Sony and just made a fucking normal console.

Nintendo sees opportunity in doing something different and interesting as opposed to just being the third option that everyone else is doing.

And Switch could be a great thing if they get the details right, which so far it seems like they might.

Also, power level is overrated when it comes to consoles. The Gamecube had power advantages and still flopped. The Wii had no power at all and succeeded huge.

Switch is gonna end up no less than $250, which isn't gonna look good when people can buy one of two consoles with actual game on them for $50 more.

Yeah, but where can you get a portable console with similar level of games of $250? The hybrid part is obviously the pitch here.

Switch is gonna end up no less than $250, which isn't gonna look good when people can buy one of two consoles with actual game on them for $50 more.

Nintendo sees opportunity in doing something different and interesting as opposed to just being the third option that everyone else is doing.

People don't give two shits about if the hardware is "something interesting" unless it's something as rock stupid appealing like the Wii or Kinect. Games sell hardware and unfortunately Nintendo just doesn't have games people want because they can't get the devs on board to support them.

Caderfix

I just want a proper Pokemon and Monster Hunter game on a home console. If the switch allows me to play those in something better than the TERRIBLE 3ds screen, it's worth the money already.

Yeah, but where can you get a portable console with similar level of games of $250? The hybrid part is obviously the pitch here.

Why would I WANT a portable with that level of games. All I really need on the go are simple time wasters, which is why the smartphone games market blew up like it did. They've made a console that's trying to sell to some nebulous middle group between core gamers and casual gamers that probably doesn't exist in large enough quantities to carry an entire hardware platform.

Sephzilla

And Switch could be a great thing if they get the details right, which so far it seems like they might.

Also, power level is overrated when it comes to consoles. The Gamecube had power advantages and still flopped. The Wii had no power at all and succeeded huge.

The GameCube flopped because while it had hardware power it completely botched everything else, which is where the PS2 came and ate its lunch. PS2 had backwards compatibility - which was a continued bite in the ass from Nintendo because Nintendo was late to the CD-Rom party. Plus that also meant that newcomers to the Playstation brand had access to the entire PS1 library. PS2 also had controller backwards compatibility, which was pretty big because it encouraged PS1 customers to stick around. GameCube didn't have any kind of DVD playback either, which was a fucking huge selling point of the PS2. PlayStation 2 also beat GameCube to the market by almost a year and a half. Also, the GameCube wasn't that much more powerful than the PS2 was - the difference in what the systems could do wasn't nearly as big of a gap as, for example, what the Wii-U could do compared to a PS4.

The GameCube didn't flop because consumers unanimously determined that graphics power didn't matter. Graphics have always mattered and always will. The reason GameCube failed was because Nintendo fucked up literally everything else about the system to the point where it negated the hardware advantages the GameCube had. And Nintendo, in typical Nintendo fashion, didn't learn from their mistakes. They just brushed it all under the rug and went in a completely different direction and played ignorant to their failures of the past. They simply got lucky that the Wii ended up becoming a popular fad item, and then reality bitch slapped them hard when they thought the Wii model was a sustainable business model.

People don't give two shits about if the hardware is "something interesting" unless it's something as rock stupid appealing like the Wii or Kinect. Games sell hardware and unfortunately Nintendo just doesn't have games people want because they can't get the devs on board to support them.

The thing about it though is that the option of "just fall in line with what the other two or doing" seems like no more of a better strategy. Developers will make games for the Switch if it sells, that's been shown with every console ever, and Nintendo seems to be doing the legwork to get it off the ground quickly.

The GameCube flopped because while it had hardware power it completely botched everything else, which is where the PS2 came and ate its lunch. PS2 had backwards compatibility - which was a continued bite in the ass from Nintendo because Nintendo was late to the CD-Rom party. Plus that also meant that newcomers to the Playstation brand had access to the entire PS1 library. PS2 also had controller backwards compatibility, which was pretty big because it encouraged PS1 customers to stick around. GameCube didn't have any kind of DVD playback either, which was a fucking huge selling point of the PS2. PlayStation 2 also beat GameCube to the market by almost a year and a half. Also, the GameCube wasn't that much more powerful than the PS2 was - the difference in what the systems could do wasn't nearly as big of a gap as, for example, what the Wii-U could do compared to a PS4.

The GameCube didn't flop because consumers unanimously determined that graphics power didn't matter. Graphics have always mattered and always will. The reason GameCube failed was because Nintendo fucked up literally everything else about the system to the point where it negated the hardware advantages the GameCube had. And Nintendo, in typical Nintendo fashion, didn't learn from their mistakes. They just brushed it all under the rug and went in a completely different direction and played ignorant to their failures of the past. They simply got lucky that the Wii ended up becoming a popular fad item, and then reality bitch slapped them hard when they thought the Wii model was a sustainable business model.

But that's my point. Pure power is not a be all, end all. It's about what you do with that power and what ideas and features you have to supplement it.

Why would I WANT a portable with that level of games. All I really need on the go are simple time wasters, which is why the smartphone games market blew up like it did. They've made a console that's trying to sell to some nebulous middle group between core gamers and casual gamers that probably doesn't exist in large enough quantities to carry an entire hardware platform.

I mean the 3DS has sold like 60 million units, so obviously there's a market for portable consoles still out there.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
What the fuck are they actually planning to do with Sami Zayn anyways?

He's got a program with Braun Stro-Man but it doesn't seem like its going to make the card at Roadblock....END OF LINE (the reason they added in that tag line is probably because they already had a Roadblock this year, I assume). I can only guess he'll eliminate Stro-Man at the Rumble, get obliterated by him at Elimination Chamber and then beat him on the pre-show at WrestleMania in front of 10,000 apathetic fans who just want to get in their damn seats.

Angry Grimace

Also, it made me laugh when people complained that Enzo was too stupid in following Lana to her hotel room.

That's what people do in real life all the time. Follow their dicks against all logic.

Sephzilla

But that's my point. Pure power is not a be all, end all. It's about what you do with that power and what ideas and features you have to supplement it.

Here's basically Nintendo's logic, post-GameCube.

"The GameCube failed because we didn't give the system any of the supplementary features that consumers were wanting. So, for our next system, we're going to go even more counter-culture to what consumers are wanting and hope it pays off"

It's a mindbogglingly stupid mindset because it means they're willingly ignoring everything about their past failures and basically just throwing shit at the wall to see what sticks. The Wii was the worst thing to happen to Nintendo because they thought that was a formula to success, and basically doubled down on that shit with the Wii-U and got a very fucking cold backhand as a result. Unfortunately Nintendo, like they did with the GameCube, didn't learn shit from Wii-U's failure and are instead continuing to play the "unique little snowflake" card hoping to catch some kind of lightning in a bottle again by appealing to a market that doesn't actually exist. Meanwhile, the PS4 is still on a record setting pace and the XB1 is selling respectably as well.

Nintendo strikes me as a company that's woefully out of touch and behind the times with what consumers actually want. Which is also why Zelda: Breath of the Wild looks like a game that would have been cool if it was released in 2011.

I mean the 3DS has sold like 60 million units, so obviously there's a market for portable consoles still out there.

The 3DS compared to the DS, as well as Vita's failure, is a big indication that the standalone handheld market is dying though.

Kaladin

Also, it made me laugh when people complained that Enzo was too stupid in following Lana to her hotel room.

That's what people do in real life all the time. Follow their dicks against all logic.

Part of me wonders if this whole Enzo / Lana thing is being written by Jimmy Jacobs.

The Switch is the most 'on message' Nintendo has been in a while, there's so many gimmicks involved in it, yet in a trailer without words there is nothing confusing about it. And the best part is, it can be completely traditional if you want it to, the console never has to leave the station, and the controller never comes apart unless you want it to.

Kaladin

The Switch is the most 'on message' Nintendo has been in a while, there's so many gimmicks involved in it, yet in a trailer without words there is nothing confusing about it. And the best part is, it can be completely traditional if you want it to, the console never has to leave the station, and the controller never comes apart unless you want it to.

Also, the gimmick of the switch actually looks functional. Who wouldn't want a handheld and home console in one system?

Sephzilla

This is a point I'll definitely agree with you on. This is the most "traditional" system Nintendo has made since the GameCube. I just wish they'd have beefed up the power a little bit. Battery life is also still a massive concern for me because, if the battery life is actually shit, then the system more or less just becomes a cheaper underpowered home console.

jmdajr

You know what was really the death nail for the GameCube? Having the worst Mario Kart, Zelda, and Super Mario games ever.

tumblr_nyj5cvdwdj1uz0u32o1_500.gif

Overall I had no reason to own one. But at least Metroid Prime was ok.

edit: Resident Evil never came out on xbox or ps2 as well.

Top Bottom