• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Definitive Edition" the new HD-Remastering of next-gen?

I didn't buy too many HD remasters last generation, but I liked the idea. I just wish they'd put the original version on the disk along with the remaster. Sometimes I want to play games in the shitty, original way they were intended.

Message board posters need to realize the mass majority do not care about frame rates

Call of Duty is one of the ugliest AAA games on the market, and people get that because it plays fluidly and without many technical hiccups. Casual gamers may not appreciate framerates, but they appreciate when a game runs well.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
It's one thing to get remastered version of PS2 era stuff that isn't HD and might not be wide screen. Plus the fps might not be the best.

Rereleasing PS3 era stuff for full price is just a fucking scam IMO.

I see very few games worth rebuying under this approach, which is even more dubious than the HD collections/re-releases we saw last gen. The graphical difference is even smaller between gens and they were already putting out GOTY editions with extra content to begin with. It'd be nice for people who skipped them the first time, though.

ymmv

Banned
http://forums.eidosgames.com/showpost.php?p=1965860&postcount=169

TRDE_One_Sheet.jpg

Is that fan art? I can't believe it's official with such a glaring spelling error.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Bad idea to sell this at full price - the reason they can justify it is because the game is still fairly new. Think of 1 year late PS3 ports like Bioshock etc, those were selling at full price as well. This is the same thing, but at least in this case you get an enhanced game.

It's the first time this game is hitting these consoles so they think they can get away with it. Didn't they charge full price for Batman on the Wii U and full price for Mass Effect 2 and Bioshock on the PS3?

It's about demand and demand will not be that high for this game on the new consoles, expect prices to drop very quickly.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
TRDE is a graphical upgrade over all current versions available. ie it's a nextgen version of it
Not a port of the currentgen console and PC versions running at 60fps, an 1080p version@60fps to customers eyes wouldnt be worth buying, 60fps don't mean shit to the causal or regular gamer as they don't see the differences like we do
But those graphical upgrades like in TRDE can been seen and if DE current gen games do take off they'll all be focused on the visual side rather then the performance side.
obviously there will be 60fps DE games, but it'll never be the point of them.

delta25

Banned
Do yourself a favor.. Buy the PC copy for 8$.. It will be the exact same as the PS4 copy..

But this isn't true, according to the developer they have made visual enhancements to the game that do in fact set it above the PC version.

Are they lying to us? Don't get me wrong I myself find it hard to believe that for the first time ever a console version of a game will in fact visually look better than its PC counterpart.

But this isn't true, according to the developer there have been visual enhancements to the game that do in fact set it above the PC version.

Are they lying to us? Don't get me wrong I myself find it hard to believe that for the first time ever a console version of a game will in fact visually look better than its PC counterpart.

PS4 at least is certainly capable of running the PC-port maxed out at 1080p with TresFX and a solid framerate. With TresFX though I doubt they will get it running @60 fps. ~45 perhaps? Rough equivalent to the PC-port with a 7850 or something similar. Probably possible to achieve 60fps without Windows as a "bottleneck". Reworked assets with a higher res downsampled would absolutely not be a problem and thus the PS4-version compared to the PC-port @ 1080p would look better. Worse texture filtering maybe, but as a whole in that resolution I'm sure they'll pull it off.

Son Of D

You can get the PC version for about £4, and it is superior in almost every way, so this is a blatant smash and grab.

This. I was able to get the entire collection for around £11, which even included the 2013 game.

Ports and HD remasters, no matter how definitive, really shouldn't be full price (I'm also looking at you Nintendo).

I'll gladly pay 60 dollars for a Mass Effect 3: Definitive Edition with better faces and effects +All the DLC, comics etc...

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I traded in my copy of GTA V for $50 because I'd rather wait for the complete edition on PS4. I fully expect to see it.
Same goes for Batman AO. I expect a next gen port when they release their complete edition.

Wray

So does the Definitive version of Tomb Raider have updated particle and water effects? I couldnt tell from the trailer really.

BigDug13

How often do we see HD re-releases of games that were already out on PC? Up till now it was mostly exclusive console games, right?

I guess Tomb Raider has been guilty of it before, but 1 generation away? One year away from the original release and only marginally better than the PC release in graphics but still not framerates?

Crayolan

The only company that should be able to get away with this is Nintendo, since they're actually transitioning older titles into HD.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
The only company that should be able to get away with this is Nintendo, since they're actually transitioning older titles into HD.

When others started doing this they did it a bunch of titles at a time at a lowered price, Nintendo doesn't get a high horse.

But this isn't true, according to the developer they have made visual enhancements to the game that do in fact set it above the PC version.

Only it wouldn't be the first time ever.

I think that this was probably a factor in the decision to drop backwards compatibility for both the Xbone and PS4.

That way the practice of selling slightly older games with minor graphical improvements for full price can continue.

I would much rather prefer to just play the game on a backwards compatible machine. I don't believe that $60 is a worthy price for slightly better looking water and shaders.

Valnen

I think that this was probably a factor in the decision to drop backwards compatibility for both the Xbone and PS4.

That way the practice of selling slightly older games with minor graphical improvements for full price can continue.

I would much rather prefer to just play the game on a backwards compatible machine. I don't believe that $60 is a worthy price for slightly better looking water and shaders.

$60 is totally worth the upgrade from 720p to 1080p+AA though.

Even if there are enhancements why wouldn't these be patched in the pc version? Just how are they going to sell the "definitive" version on PC when the pc version already support more than 1080p? I played it in 5760x1200

Zephyx

Serious question, why is it called definitive? When you include that word in a game title, it just sounds wrong to me when you launch with two systems. One will be better than the other assuming they maximize the hardware. Just add a "remastered" or "GOTY" edition.

This WILL be the trend till Gaikai and alternative means to get said games on the console happen. Probably even after.

Look at the HD collections on PS2. They could just offer the stand alone PS2 game, or sell you the "slightly better" version as a whole new retail package.

I for one think the game doesn't even look marginally better in the trailer and they clearly missed the point. The trailer is all shooting and explosions (I guess that was the VGX audience?) but the game isn't that at all. Stop trying to make every game Call of Duty, publishers...

$60 is totally worth the upgrade from 720p to 1080p+AA though.

Hope this is sarcasm

It's one thing to get remastered version of PS2 era stuff that isn't HD and might not be wide screen. Plus the fps might not be the best.

Rereleasing PS3 era stuff for full price is just a fucking scam IMO.

Yeah should he $30-$40 tops. The game was already released at $60. No reason to charge $60 again

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Oh. Let's then add costumes to all fighting games from previous generation and charge 60 dollars, after all, is a completely new experience. Not the same game.

you're talking about content, and i'm talking about the product.

obviously if you buy the extended edition of a movie, you're buying the same movie "with more stuff" yet you pay the same or more for it. How is that any different when it comes to this, considering relative video game pricing?

jooso

Will buy the Tomb Raider definitive edition if it's 60 fps. So probably will not buy it then, as they haven't said anything regarding the framerate.
Same for all last gen ports, 60 fps or no buy.

Anteater

If they upgrade the assets I don't really mind them. I'm a sucker for graphic upgrades like better textures and lighting, things that weren't there in the original due to hardware limitation. Even if I might not pay the full price or double dipping, I still would like to see it happen.

It's like seeing skyrim being modded with all the cool lighting effects and better modeling, just more officially with these releases.

That's already accomplished with emulation. And that doesn't require you to repurchase the same game at full price.

Do you mean emulating on PC? Sometimes it's perfect but there are so many exceptions. You can't get MGS3 running at 60 on an emulator. Hell I can't even emulate the Ratchet games to run as good they did on PS2 let alone the HD collection

Tizoc

They can word it however they want, it's just a port or a relase of a game on the system, much like a game getting released on PC, then to consoles or vice versa.

I believe there are many an FG Gaffer that'd gladly get UMvC3 or USF4 on PS4 or X1 if it ever gets released.

MaxiLive

I don't really see an issue with it to be honest. As why should we be upset it is just more games on more platforms :D

Plus anyone who already owns Tomb Raider should not buy the PS4/Xbox One version as well you already own it! Maybe when it gets a lot cheaper and you want your uber HD fix but even then I would probably suggest spending your money on other games as you already own it...

So the next-gen version is good for the devs learning the hardware and good for gamers as it provides more games for a new platform and anyone who missed out on Tomb Raider the first time and doesn't have a decent PC then the full retail prices is worth it (IMO) :D

Top Bottom