• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Definitive Edition" the new HD-Remastering of next-gen?

Harlequin

Please stop, you're killing me.

*sigh* You read the rest of that post right? Just because PCs are more powerful does not mean that the PC version will always be graphically superior. That would be like saying the original Tomb Raider from 1996 on a modern high-end PC running in a 4K resolution at 60FPS is graphically superior to the PS3 version of the reboot. The resolution can be as high as it wants to be and the PC can be as powerful as it wants to be but that won't make up for the fact that the original doesn't have bump maps or shaders or high-poly models. Do you understand what I mean? Some of the graphical upgrades they're putting into the Definitive Edition simply aren't in the PC version. Not because the PC wouldn't be able to handle it but simply because they're not in there. It's as simple as that.

Yep, it's happening.

What's worse is that price and the fact that we don't know if it's 60 or 30fps. It seems like a moderate boost to the last gen versions and no change at all to the PC one

levyjl1988

Banned
http://forums.eidosgames.com/showpost.php?p=1965860&postcount=169

TRDE_One_Sheet.jpg

TRDE_Packshot_PS4Box_PEGI_2D.png

Buzzman

Banned
*sigh* You read the rest of that post right? Just because PCs are more powerful does not mean that the PC version will always be graphically superior. That would be like saying the original Tomb Raider from 1996 on a modern high-end PC running in a 4K resolution at 60FPS is graphically superior to the PS3 version of the reboot. The resolution can be as high as it wants to be and the PC can be as powerful as it wants to be but that won't make up for the fact that the original doesn't have bump maps or shaders or high-poly models. Do you understand what I mean? Some of the graphical upgrades they're putting into the Definitive Edition simply aren't in the PC version. Not because the PC wouldn't be able to handle it but simply because they're not in there. It's as simple as that.

Higher resolution and double the framerate VS slightly improved graphical detail.

Harlequin

Higher resolution and double the framerate VS slightly improved graphical detail.

Actually, the improvements looked pretty damn good to me (especially lighting and shaders). But we'll have to wait for a high-res trailer and some actual gameplay footage to really judge. My point is really just that both versions will have things the other won't so neither one will really be the "best" version. Unless the PC version gets patched with the Definitive upgrades.

Rippa

Definitive being the new HD remaster, yeah, I think so. That being the case give me "Definitve Editions" 1080p/60fps of;

Assassins Creed Series
Batman Arkham Trilogy
BioShock Infinite
Dead Space Trilogy
God of War III
GTA V
Infamous 1 & 2
Killzone 2 & 3
The Last of Us
Uncharted Trilogy

I'd gladly double dip for all of them!

Matriox

Definitive being the new HD remaster, yeah, I think so. That being the case give me "Definitve Editions" 1080p/60fps of;

Assassins Creed Series
Batman Arkham Trilogy
BioShock Infinite
Dead Space Trilogy
God of War III
GTA V
Infamous 1 & 2
Killzone 2 & 3
The Last of Us
Uncharted Trilogy

I'd gladly double dip for all of them!

I'd like to see Red Dead Redemption, Dark/Demon's Souls, and Xcom on that list :D

IzzyF3

I guess to Crystal Dynamics' credit, Tomb Raider is coming out in January where pretty much no other games for PS4 and Xbox One are set to come out.

PC is most definitely the definitive version though. Assuming you have a good enough computer to run it with all the bells and whistles.

It feels like that's what all the people against TR Definitive assumes.

I absolutely loved Tomb Raider and would love to see more games I love to get this treatment, as everybody says, games like Last of Us. In the case of Tomb Raider, the resources are split between 3 studios and the sequel is definitely coming.

As for the pricing model, it's like GOTY or complete editions that accompany Skyrim, Dead Island, Batman Arkham, Borderlands, Uncharted 2, 3, Gran Turismo 5, GTA4, Mortal Kombat and the list goes on and on They are all released at full price even though the base version can easily be found at $20 when these complete editions come out. The only game that didn't release at full price at the top of my head is Dragon's Dogma DA. I'm always excited when a complete edition comes out, and I'm even more excited that they added to TR rather than release the PC version with the dlc and call it a day.

If the price offends you that much, just wait for the price to drop. It eventually will.

BigDug13

This game is selling at full price even though the PC version will be $5 by then and will sport similar graphics? That's taking advantage of the console users at this point.

delta25

Banned
wait, there is clear technical advancements to this next gen "remake" that go above and beyond whats seen on the PC version, yet PC gamers continue to say the PC version is still the definitive version?

did I miss something...

BigDug13

wait, there is clear technical advancements to this next gen "remake" that go above and beyond whats seen on the PC version, yet PC gamers continue to say the PC version is still the definitive version?

did I miss something...

You missed where one game can be 60fps or more and will continue to be able to support newer hardware for higher resolutions and framerates even 10 years from now while the other game will be locked 30fps and probably won't be playable on PS5.

Also that first game will be $5 on Steam when that second game will release for $60.

GAMERG0D

This shouldn't become a trend, I'm sure most of us would rather see new experiences. Some console exclusives should be upgraded though.
And GTA V

Syncytia

Maybe I'm missing something, but does everyone make the same complaints when a GOTY edition comes out for something? Granted, there's just a few multiplayer maps and costumes for the DLC, and they should have included everything - SP map(s?), guns, all costumes - but still. It's the same idea, and at least the graphics options are going from high to ultra, or whatever the case may be. It's not like they the only thing they're doing is throwing everything on one disc a year later.

Currently the game is $30 and they'll probably try to keep it there when this comes out to make this seem like it's not that bad of deal. They see people eating up CoD/BF4 + DLC for $100+ so they know people will dish out money. And it's not like you can go backwards compatible...

delta25

Banned
You missed where one game can be 60fps or more and will continue to be able to support newer hardware for higher resolutions and framerates even 10 years from now while the other game will be locked 30fps and probably won't be playable on PS5.

Also that first game will be $5 on Steam when that second game will release for $60.

so wait, now when determining which is the best version of a game, FPS, resolution and future support are all that matter now?

Biker19

Banned
If developers are gonna start using "Definitive Edition" versions of games like Tomb Raider, the Bioshock series, the Assassin's Creed series, etc., then they should just use the PC versions.

I'm sure that both Xbox One & PS4 are very capable of handling those versions of games perfectly now.

Chabbles

We got enough crappy "HD Remakes" last gen.

1080p/60fps this gen with better textures, lighting, AA, etc, with the remakes or gtfo, specially if your trying to charge full price. It should have all the bells and whistles.

Im probably going to pick this up at some point since i missed it earlier this year, but idk, maybe it was twitch video compression, but the demo last night looked no different then PS360 footage, imo.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
We got enough crappy "HD Remakes" last gen.

1080p/60fps this gen with better textures, lighting, AA, etc, with the remakes or gtfo, specially if your trying to charge full price. It should have all the bells and whistles.

Im probably going to pick this up at some point since i missed it earlier this year, but idk, maybe it was twitch video compression, but the demo last night looked no different then PS360 footage, imo.
Wouldn't give nuch on that. The first few comparisons between AC4 this gen/next gen suggested the same. And boy were they wrong.
The higher resolution alone should make the difference quite obvious.

dreamfall

I would pay top dollar for RDR remastered edition.

So much this.

I'm not a huge fan of how it's going down with TR (because I played the definitive PC version), but for console only titles I've generally enjoyed HD collections. When they're offered at lower prices.

You don't have to buy it. And if no one does, they won't make them.

It is pretty good for those who didn't get the previous generation version and includes all the DLC. For some it will be a good product, but for someone who played the original when it was released of course you are not going to want to buy it.

Odrion

Banned
I'm all for uprezzed ultra-settings versions of games on new consoles.

If you haven't been using a PC for gaming, console versions of games from 2011-2013 looked downgraded as fuck and "Ultra Editions" will be a nice way for console players to experience these games in all their splendor.

Do you have a source for the 30fps?

Also, Tomb Raider, the regular version is $50 on steam right now (so without the extras). We can speculate on future prices if you wish but we have no idea when it will drop to $5 on Steam.

Blastoise

Banned
I don't mind double dipping for games I've enjoyed. I hope we see more definitive editions. GTAV, TLOU, Uncharted, MGRising (actually all Platinum games), Red Dead Redemption, etc...

Syncytia

Also, Tomb Raider, the regular version is $50 on steam right now (so without the extras). We can speculate on future prices if you wish but we have no idea when it will drop to $5 on Steam.

What's with the Steam version btw? Maybe it's on sale everywhere right now, but it's $30-$40 almost everywhere if you look it up on google.

Of all the shady cashgrabbing techniques next gen has to offer so far, this seems pretty harmless still lol... :(

However, i agree that publishers should definitely NOT get the signal from gamers that this is acceptable!

I, for one, will wait for "FINAL EDITION" the gen after next ;)

Racer1977

I haven't played much these past 12 months, so I for one welcome these "Definitive Editions". Not sure I'll be buying Tomb Raider, particularly at full price, but I certainly would pay the full amount for GT6, GTA5 and TLOU.

Pricing and value for money is everything.

It must also be quite satisfying for these devs to put out "Definitive Editions", after seeing their vision held back by the limitations of last gen hardware.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Like others I really don't have an issue when they come with some improvements, theres a number of games I woukd be fine buying again if they came with all the DLC, TLoU, GTAV, other big name games, from the number of hours I put into it i'd totally buy Skyrim again.

But the price they expect is ridiculous, that $59.99 is totally going to translate into £59.99 here which isnt going to go down well for a nearly year old game.

butman

Didn't you know that at the moment the PS4 is the "Definitive Edition" of the PS3? The same goes to X360 and One.

For me Next Gen start on 2014.

Truthfully, I think these games are the result of the past generation dragging on far too long. Video game performance took a huge hit in the last two of three years of the 360's and PS3's life, so we may not see many "new" engines because the previous ones were perfectly acceptable in the previous generation, albeit with a hit to performance. Keeping the same engine whilst transitioning to new hardware means that pretty game will look prettier whilst costs are cut.

Dion

Banned
They did more than just increase the resolution and throw in the DLC. As someone that didn't buy the game when it came out on PC/PS3 I'm considering buying this.

Do yourself a favor.. Buy the PC copy for 8$.. It will be the exact same as the PS4 copy..

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
I hope this is done for Uncharted 1,2, and 3. If they res up those games, I wouldn't mind buying it again...
All for $40

BigDug13

It's $50 now? Because just a couple days ago it was $10. The next Steam sale it will probably be $10 or $5.

Top Bottom