• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Delayed games are a bummer but atleast it shows devolpers have faith in their games

Eiji Aonuma:

"As I have watched our development progress, I have come to think that rather than work with meeting a specific schedule as our main objective, and releasing a game that reflects only what we can create within that scheduled time, I feel strongly that our focus should be to bring all these ideas to life in a way that will make TLoZ on Wii U the best game it can possibly be"

Hats off to Nintendo.

343 Industries, take note.
Activision, take note.
Capcom, take note.
EA, take note.
Evolution Studios, take note.
From Software, take note.
Respawn Entertainment, take note.
Rockstar, take note.
Tango Gameworks, take note.
Ubisoft, take note.
Warner Brothers Interactive Entertainment, take note.
Zenimax Online Studios, take note.

But another take-away would be stop giving out a release date until you are 100% sure

I don't understand the weird entitlement people have about games being delayed. Like 'no this game is supposed to come out today, THIS IS A HUGE PROBLEM' - I mean, things get delayed all the time in every industry. We aren't really supposed to know, is the issue. I guess the problem is just giving a release date too early and having people expect to have it by then. Release dates for games are given many months in advance or ballpark dates even years in advance, and people get all weird about it. So maybe some companies are just a bit too eager to get dates out but then again, I don't know anything about how companies really come to these kinds of decisions so I can only speak about the weird reaction people have about delays. Maybe just focus more on stuff you can actually buy.

Corpekata

Banned
A lot of those companies have had pretty notable delays. Heck Rockstar is releasing a heavily delayed game in like 2 weeks.

Ubisoft delays game all the time though. Same for From (BB was delayed), WB (Arkham Knight was delayed twice), EA (Hardline was delayed) Capcom (Deep Down is delayed), Evolution Studio (Driveclub was delayed for a year) and Rockstar (GTAV was delayed for a long time too).

I'm sure Gearbox had a lot of faith in Duke Nukem Forever then.

I'm just salty that Arkham Knight gets delayed two weeks and we get a 7 minute gameplay video but when Zelda gets delayed at least a full year (I'm guessing 1.5 years) we get w confirmation that we're getting zero Zelda info this E3.

Kade

Those companies have delayed games though. In most cases, for the exact same reasons Aonuma has given.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Delays happen all the time., just look at the number 2015 titles that were supposed to be out 2014, and even 2015 titles supposed to be out 2015.

This isn't some new ideas to developers it's more common than ever.

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
If we're going by this logic, then Sony should be the exemplary company with TLG.

And funny how your list contains developers, you do know those guys don't control deadlines? No developer wants to release a broken game, that's on the publisher.

Eiji Aonuma:

"As I have watched our development progress, I have come to think that rather than work with meeting a specific schedule as our main objective, and releasing a game that reflects only what we can create within that scheduled time, I feel strongly that our focus should be to bring all these ideas to life in a way that will make TLoZ on Wii U the best game it can possibly be"

Hats off to Nintendo.

343 Industries, take note.
Activision, take note.
Capcom, take note.
EA, take note.
Rockstar, take note.
Ubisoft, take note.
Zenimax Online Studios, take note.

But another take-away would be stop giving out a release date until you are 100% sure
Umm rockstar is notorious for delaying games, warner bros also delays all the time to the point of cancelation,ea delayed bf for 6 months.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
The way I see it is that developers and publishers that make really great games see more revenue from a remaster next generation if they're willing to make it a really good game this gen. Make the profits twice instead of just once.

Kordelle

Rockstar delayed GTA IV, V and RDR. (V for PC even several Times), take note.
Battlefield Hardline was also delayed, take note.

SgtCobra

Haven't pretty much all those companies delayed some of their games at least once? I don't get what you're trying to say, that if the Zelda team delays their game accompanied with a "longer than usual" PR statement other companies also give (to assure that you het the best experience possible) it's because they have "faith" in their game but the rest doesn't?

Isn't it actually the oppisite from what you mean? If a company delays their game then I can only guess that they aren't sure about its quality and want to work on it for some longer?

I'm sure Gearbox had a lot of faith in Duke Nukem Forever then.
Exactly hehe. When it's done, sheesh.

Son Of D

Wasn't Driveclub delayed twice?

And why the fuck should Rockstar take note? They delayed GTA5 for PS3/360 and later on delayed the PC version. There's nothing in GTA5 that really says that it's rushed.

OmegaDL50

Congrats to Aonuma for sugarcoating a delay better than the other companies you mentioned?

As opposed to saying "Game is coming along well" being rushed out the door and plagued with numerous problems and issues that require a post release patch like a significant portion of games released by some of publishers the OP listed.

Delaying a game to make sure it turns out right is sugarcoating it now? okay.

Nintendo does a lot of things wrong, but one of things they do not do is release games incomplete with the customers expectations of it getting "fixed" post release.

Agreed, id rather that Nintendo management remains competent enough to have the sense to delay their own titles.

I think Rockstar, Blizzard and Nintendo are the best publishers/ developers in the industry simply because they're of the few that'll do this for quality purposes.

OmegaDL50

I still wondering why OP, bothered mention Evolution Studios.

Driveclub WAS delayed. While I did enjoy the game a great deal, despite the delay missing the PS4 launch, I think Driveclub could have used an additional 2 extra months before a release.

I wouldn't necessarily paint an umbrella on a bunch of other devs saying they don't delay games when they do, despite my above comment. Nintendo isn't the only company that withholds releases of their games to make sure they turn out better rather than if they were released pre-mature.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
"Wow atleast Nintendo said they had to delay a game way more politely, they are so much better than every other company at delaying games!'

Oh boy, OP i don't even know what your intent is.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
What a strange thread.

Thinking the developer has the final say on release dates and listing a bunch of developers and publishers that have had their games delayed for quality reasons.

But I guess those don't count because those delays didn't end up making it the best game of all time, which surely the not yet released Zelda will obviously be.

Idba

Eiji Aonuma:

Hats off to Nintendo.

EA, take note.
Rockstar, take note.
Ubisoft, take note.

These companies have already delayed games multiple times

Eggbok

Wasn't Driveclub delayed twice?

And why the fuck should Rockstar take note? They delayed GTA5 for PS3/360 and later on delayed the PC version. There's nothing in GTA5 that really says that it's rushed.

Driveclub was only delayed once I thought? There was no date given until the actual final release date after it was delayed from launch.

Also Ubisoft does delay games, both The Crew and Watch Dogs were delayed and it still turned out bad.

Why is it that Nintendo are hailed as heroes for doing something while other publishers and developers get flack for it?

That spin has been used by multiple other developers in the past, why do we assume Nintendo is being honest here?

Red Hood

Banned
I think it has more to do with it being announced this early. I mean it's been a year or three (?) that they've confirmed to be working on a new Zelda, and it's normal for people to crave it. Especially after having seen it, the hunger builds up. I'd much rather have Nintendo not say anything about a game at all and only announce/reveal it when they're absolutely certain it's going to meet a certain deadline.

But I'm not complaining. It was too optimistic for it to release this Fall, so I think everyone expected a 2016 release.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
But I'm not complaining. It was too optimistic for it to release this Fall, so I think everyone expected a 2016 release.
Everyone certainly did not expect a 2016 release. If everyone did, it wouldn't have been voted on in the most anticipated title of 2015 and won the 3rd spot.

People believed it was a 2015 title because Nintendo said that several times, just look at this thread.

malfcn

Delays can work both ways.
They are either polishing a masterpiece or a turd.
Since it's Nintendo, most have faith in them. Ubisoft recently has earned a different reputation.

Red Hood

Banned
Everyone certainly did not expect a 2016 release. If everyone did, it wouldn't have been voted on in the most anticipated title of 2015 and won the 3rd spot.

People believed it was a 2015 title because Nintendo said that several times, just look at this thread.

I think that had more to do with naivety though. I mean, the TGA footage looked like it (understandably) needed a lot more polishing, they haven't shown us a single dungeon, nothing about its story, no main "gimmick", not even a subtitle. I think we all tried to fool ourself into believing it would actually release 2015, including myself.

danm999

These companies have already delayed games multiple times

Yeah but they didn't do it with stylllleeeee.

But seriously, I have no idea what OP is talking about. Telling everybody to "take note", but I've got no idea take note of what. Praising Nintendo for phrasing a delay notification in the same way virtually everybody phrases delay notifications; specifically saying it'll make the game better.

Here's the statement concerning Zelda;

So, I must apologize to you all that were expecting the game by year's end, but we are no longer making a 2015 release our number one priority. Instead, our priority is to make it the most complete and ultimate Zelda game.

Yeah nice. The delay is because they want to make the best game they can. Cool.

But please explain to me how it differs in essence from say, this from Warner Bros regarding Arkham Knight;

The thing about awesome, though, is awesome takes time. And totally awesome takes a lot of time. So in collaboration with our colleagues at Warner Bros Interactive Entertainment and DC Comics, we have decided to extend the development time of Batman: Arkham Knight. Now, the very simple reason for doing this is to ensure we are delivering the awesome level of quality that Batman fans and gamers expect from this, the final episode and the epic conclusion to the Rocksteady Arkham trilogy.

Or this from Rockstar regarding the GTA V PC version;

Our apologies for the slight shift in the date but the game requires a few extra weeks of testing and polish to make it as good as can be. Moving a release date is never a decision we take lightly and is a choice we make only when we know it is in the best interests of the game and our fans.

Or Battlefield Hardline;

We decided that the right thing to do was to take more time to ensure Hardline is the best, most innovative Battlefield experience we can give to you, our fans.

Or CD Projeckt with the Witcher 3;

We know what we want to do to make Wild Hunt one of the best RPGs you will ever play. And we continue to work hard to achieve just that. So, we apologize and ask for your trust.

Here's the thing; I have faith the new Zelda will be pretty great. I'm glad they're taking their time to make it as good a game as they can.

But praising them for using the same rhetoric as virtually every other company out there and telling everybody else to "take note" for things they've already done is hilariously stupid.

Neff

Congrats to Aonuma for sugarcoating a delay better than the other companies you mentioned?

As far as apologies go I'd rate it a 8 out of sugarcoating.

Also it's Zelda, and I can't think of any series which more benefits time in the oven.

I sure as hell don't want another Wind Waker situation where we're forever stuck with a mediocre game which so nearly could have been one of the greats.

This.
It's like people are seriously trying to convince others that Nintendo is better at delaying games than the others...

They are. They've only ever rushed games to market twice, and both those games suffered greatly for it.

Head.spawn

Driveclub was only delayed once I thought? There was no date given until the actual final release date after it was delayed from launch.

Also Ubisoft does delay games, both The Crew and Watch Dogs were delayed and it still turned out bad.

Well, it was supposed to be a launch title. Then later it was listed as a Japan launch title, right?

I could have sworn there were launch bundles, I'm a bit foggy.

PS+ version has been indefinitely it seems.

Condom

How wrong can you be OP, like other companies don't care about their games.
Take off your Nintendo-glasses, they're blinding you.

Giant companies like EA delay games all the time, just because they issue a press message instead of a video doesn't make it different.

Zombine

Banned
From Software? What game are we talking about here? Bloodborne performs really well. The loading issues are nowhere near Duke Nukem Forever levels of long either.

Hexa

Rockstar, take note.

Wat? Driveclub got delayed by an entire year. FromSoft regularly delays their games and DLC. Rockstar as well.

This is the only real take-away, though in reason of course. Shit happens sometimes that can't be helped, but I think a lot of developers at this point are just announcing when they're scheduled to be done, rather than when they actually see the end in sight.

Dunkley

If I ever needed a thread to show how much of a pedestal Nintendo is put on by some people for doing absolutely nothing special that sets them apart from other comapanies, I'll be sure to link this here.

Seriously, every company you listed delayed plenty of games for very similiar reasons. Nintendo delaying ZeldaU is nothing special, let alone a reason to make a thread over how good their delay statement is.

Top Bottom