• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls heads to Europe courtesy of Namco-Bandai

makingmusic476 said:
They also changed things like Traditional Soldiers/Heroes Souls to Storied Soldiers/Heroes Soul. Storied isn't even a word!

Tis.

1. Celebrated or famous in history or story: the storied journey of the Mayflower.
2. Ornamented with designs representing scenes from history, legend, or story: storied tapestry.

Cataferal

Digital Foundry
It feels like we've been waiting for an eternity, but it's actually only been 14 months since the Japanese release (Feb 2009). Amazed it's happened though; I was giving up hope.

It's double dip time.

Owensboro

Congrats Euroland! Allow me to say something incredibly cliche: I'm jealous that (some of) you get to play this game for the first time. I hope you get the same rush I did when beating a boss for the first time (and even once when I beat the boss on the first try). It's so freaking awesome!

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
makingmusic476 said:
Ok, that never made much sense, but spells like Total Protection were changed to Warding in the NA version. Protection > Total Protection made sense. Protection > Warding had me going wtf.

They also changed things like Traditional Soldiers/Heroes Souls to Storied Soldiers/Heroes Soul. Storied isn't even a word!

Not only is "storied" a word, it makes FAR more sense than "Traditional Heroes' Soul". A storied hero would be a hero who is well known/legendary, hence "storied". What would a "Traditional Hero" even be?

ShutDown202 said:
Are there any Euro's who want the game but dont have it yet?

I thought the last group imported when the US version dropped.

Some people can't afford to import. Or indeed aren't comfortable enough to do so. So yes.

Ikael

I didn't played it yet, so I was thinking about importing, but I will restain myself in order to make it count as a sale in the European market so they won't hestiate to bring here the sequel :D

JWong said:
Holy! Three different publishers? wtf

It was underestimated, repeatedly.

I wouldn't be surprised if the EU distribution alone tops the original internal sales projection.

If they release an EU collector's edition with the guide, I'll double dip.

Cep

Banned
My desire to rage about scamco not porting their own games is at odds with the joy I feel for more people getting to play this game.

I bought this game day one for the NA release

I just want to say to Sony Computer (except the Japan branch): FUCK YOU

For our European friends buy it and remember The True Demon's Souls Starts Here !!

GAME OF THE GENERATION

Hope it sells well, I'll pick it up again if there is a collector's edition(only game I think I'd ever do that for). :D

The Demon's Souls Official Thread shall live on!

Monocle

Wow, good thing this didn't happen any sooner. That would have been fair and sensible, and we don't take kindly to those things around here.

Volcynika

Square Triangle said:
Why is it that Atlus won't do Europe? I mean they saw how well it sold in the US, you KNOW it'd sell well in Euro land.

Atlus doesn't have a branch or anything set up to bring things to Europe. And they'd have to get publishing rights for Europe as well.

AAK

rainking187 said:
Namco Bandai won't even release their own fucking games in the US and they're releasing other companies games in Europe? SMH.

Neither did Namco patch the practice mode in Tekken 6! WTF NAMCO! How many times did we have to tell you!

Loudninja

makingmusic476 said:
Meanwhile they happily publish White Knight Chronicles in all three territories. -_-

Really is this all people going to talk about? Who cares who brought the game over as long as others get to play it. You guys really are complaining for no reason.

About time. Enjoy the game folks. Definitely one of the premiere games this gen. The game will own the shit out of you, and you will keep coming back for more like the sadistic bastards you are.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
In other awesome Demon Souls news, the game sold over three times what Atlus originally had expected it to in NA:

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/28098/Demons_Souls_Sales_Triple_Atlus_Expectations.php

Demon's Souls, From Software's ultra-hardcore fantasy action-RPG, has performed far above expectations in the United States, providing a significant windfall for publisher Atlus.

According to the latest financial results posted by Atlus parent company Index Holdings, first translated by Siliconera, Demon's Souls saw North American retail sales of 280,000 -- well over three times its projected performance of 75,000 units.

Those numbers paid off in spades for the publisher. Atlus USA saw quarterly profits of 46 million yen (US$3.7 million), up more than fivefold year on year.

Melfice7

280k? jesus.. while its good it went better than they expected.. i fucking hate the industry, this game deserves so much more

Kowak

Banned
I imported this to the Uk at the start of the year and still havent gotten around to playing. Really need to do so before this comes out otherwise I will be pissed off.

Speevy

Banned
icarus-daedelus said:
Nah, it stands out in a somewhat mediocre generation so far.

That's exactly what I mean. It's confidently confined to one genre (action/RPG), yet it boldly innovates. It has tons of content (not 3/4 and the rest DLC), yet it's also very challenging. It looks amazing, but it never deviates from its artistic design.

This is the kind of game I came to expect from the PS2; it's a title born from the creative minds of people who aren't so much concerned with how the market has shifted as they are with what feats a truly engaged player can accomplish.

Imported the Asian version and sold it (for profit!) once I was done with it, but it's been a while and I think it's time to play again so I'll be picking this up for sure. :D I hope that they realise that a lot of people did import and entice us with a nice special edition.

icarus-daedelus said:
Nah, it stands out in a somewhat mediocre generation so far.

Totally agree, It's maybe the only game this gen that I sometimes find myself just sitting and thinking about it. It really was an amazing experience playing through it.

evala

Banned
already imported it. great news non the less. i just hope if demon's souls 2 is released we will get it simultaneously this time around.

Dresden

Wait... Atlus USA's quarterly profit was just 3.7 million? And that's actually up fivefold from... wow. I didn't realize how small they were.

I've been thinking about picking this up lately. It'll be a tough choice to pick this up for $120 over a $35 asian version that a lot of Aussies seem to playing.

I'm still happy it's being brought over, lets see if it can beat Blazblue's 9 month delay.

Pistolero

That's exactly what I mean. It's confidently confined to one genre (action/RPG), yet it boldly innovates. It has tons of content (not 3/4 and the rest DLC), yet it's also very challenging. It looks amazing, but it never deviates from its artistic design.

This is the kind of game I came to expect from the PS2; it's a title born from the creative minds of people who aren't so much concerned with how the market has shifted as they are with what feats a truly engaged player can accomplish.

When truth and poetry combine ! Wonderful post, mate ! :D

Top Bottom