• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls heads to Europe courtesy of Namco-Bandai

I bought the cheap asian version last year, because I didn't know yet if the hype was deserved. The game exceeded my wildest dreams and now I'm pissed I didn't go for the neat US version. Maybe I'll buy the EU version if it's shiny enough.

Now get on with that Demon's Souls 2 announcement, so the world might be mended.

hamchan

toasty_T said:
I've been thinking about picking this up lately. It'll be a tough choice to pick this up for $120 over a $35 asian version that a lot of Aussies seem to playing.

I'm still happy it's being brought over, lets see if it can beat Blazblue's 9 month delay.
I just ordered the Asian versions of Demon's Souls and Blazblue. Why should I pay full price for half a year old games when I can get them cheaper by importing?

ps3de07.jpg

Demon's Souls Black Phantom Edition

King Allant the XII, the last king of Boletaria, searched tirelessly to expand his might. The Nexus, a great ice shrine nestled in the mountains, bestowed the power of the souls onto him, bringing prosperity to his kingdom. Still unsated, he returned again to the Nexus, where he foolishly awakened the Old One from its eternal slumber. This long forgotten evil, now wrought upon Boletaria, plunged the realm into darkness and fog. A mighty demon horde poured into the kingdom, devouring the souls of men.

Champions from other realms learned of Boletaria's fate and sought to deliver the kingdom from evil; none would return from the cursed land. Called upon by a mysterious maiden in black, you go forth, the last hope for humanity in a place lost to demons and darkness...

Ultimate hardcore RPG challenge -- In this brutal land, death is inevitable, but not final. Combining the best features of an action game and RPG, you'll slice, smash, shoot, and ensorcel some of the most horrible, vicious enemies ever encountered. Are you strong enough to face the impossible and win?

Groundbreaking online capabilities -- Network features go far beyond any previous RPG, allowing players to leave hints for each other, replay death scenes, cooperatively revive dead players, or invade another player's game to wreak havoc. Not merely an add-on feature, multiplayer options are vast, and uniquely focused on changing and intensifying the single player experience.

Freeform and flexible -- The open-ended structure of the game means that there is no single path, but rather a wealth of options. Set your own pace and progress as you like. Build exactly the character you want by creating a detailed avatar, nurturing the right stats, and customizing your skills and equipment.

You act, the world reacts -- The World Tendency system changes the aggressiveness of monsters and the rewards for killing them based on players' actions. Different events and NPCs may be triggered, as well.

Phantom Edition Contains:

Artbook

Soundtrack CD

Def. Con. 1. Namco Bandai has told VG247 it’ll be making a formal announcement on a European release for Demon’s Souls tomorrow.

It comes as the FromSoftware RPG was listed on the website of the German classifications board, the USK, for a release this morning.

A rep from the firm told us: “We will be making a full announcement tomorrow.”

Watch the mountains, keep looking for smoke signals in the sky, whatever. Just keep watching, for the love of God.

Demon’s Souls released early last year in Japan by Sony, before it was released in the US by Atlas in October. SCEE had said previously it had no plans to release the game in Europe. A sequel has already been hinted at for a fall release in Japan.

Last night, it was revealed the original had sold over 280k in America since launch.

http://www.vg247.com/2010/04/15/nam...ncement-on-demons-souls-euro-release-tomorrow

Great news! :)

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
^^^ Oh... my...

Thank you FromSoftware for making such an awesome game.
Thank you Namco-Bandai for bringing it to PAL-land.
Thank you, everyone for taking one for the team.

Thank you.

ShopTo are going with a 21/05/2010 date btw, the first UK retailer to list the game too. That is probably accurate seeing as it is a brand new listing/page on the site

Going up against Red Dead Redemption, Split/Second Velocity, and Prince Of Persia: The Forgotten Sands... :/

hteng

Banned
B-Genius said:
^^^ Oh... my...

Thank you Atlus for making such an awesome game.
Thank you Namco-Bandai for bringing it to PAL-land.
Thank you, everyone for taking one for the team.

Thank you.

get your facts straight, its made by fromsoftware

Ponti

Great timing, was recently looking for places to import this. Can't wait for the game to royally kick my ass.

randomwab

Glad I imported the US Collector's Edition, 'cause I got the artbook and soundtrack with it. Seems like a long time ago too.

Red Scarlet

Since the PS3 has no region blockage for PS3 games, why didn't you guys that really wanted it just import it from the US anyway? Or does it have to do with DLC (being region locked?)?

I am confused.

Xater

Red Scarlet said:
Since the PS3 has no region blockage for PS3 games, why didn't you guys that really wanted it just import it from the US anyway? Or does it have to do with DLC (being region locked?)?

I am confused.

DLC is region locked but there are ways to get around it. There actually was no logical reason to especially since the import would have been cheaper anyway.

I got the Asian version as soon as I knew it was in English.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
Red Scarlet said:

I am confused.

Mostly that. It was a fucking pain for LBP which I eventually gave up on because it became a huge hassle :(

Xater

McBradders said:
Mostly that. It was a fucking pain for LBP which I eventually gave up on because it became a huge hassle :(

But does Demon#s Souls even have DLC? And if the DLC is free there is no problem at all. Waiting for a PS3 game to be released in you region is kinda dumb.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
A part of me wants to buy it day one, but another part of me is thinking it's too little too late.

Seriously FUUUU SCEE!

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
Xater said:
But does Demon#s Souls even have DLC? And if the DLC is free there is no problem at all. Waiting for a PS3 game to be released in you region is kinda dumb.

Dumb?

Why dumb?

It's not like I don't have a literal shit-ton of other stuff to play in the meantime. We're not exactly starved of quality product at present or even when DS was originally released either in Asia or America. This isn't the 90's anymore.

linsivvi

Demon's Souls has no DLC, the only downside from importing is you have to play on a server not at your region. Besides, it's not like buying DLCs from the HK store is difficult at all.

Those numbers paid off in spades for the publisher. Atlus USA saw quarterly profits of 46 million yen (US$3.7 million), up more than fivefold year on year.

So much for those people who said Atlus got fucked in that other thread.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Last night, it was revealed the original had sold over 280k in America since launch.

I initially read that to mean it had sold 280k in one night. :lol

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
It'd be nice if that included the strategy guide found in the US deluxe edition. Unless it was useless.

I've been meaning to import this for ages, but now with an impending EU release I'll be waiting some more. :lol

Red Scarlet said:

I am confused.

I agree to an extend, but imports don't count towards PAL-sales. We need to give the PAL-territory a boost because we get F'd in the A again because titles didn't sell well in Europe.

Red Scarlet said:

I am confused.

Money, things getting lost in post, not comfortable buying online. Plenty of issues. Importing can be a pain in the ass, especially in the UK where you can get an addition price bump when it arrives.

JaseC said:
It'd be nice if that included the strategy guide found in the US deluxe edition. Unless it was useless.

I've been meaning to import this for ages, but now with an impending EU release I'll be waiting some more. :lol
The strategy guide isn't useless, but you might as well use the free wiki if you need to look something up.

Awesome that it's finally reaching Europe, and we're getting a bit of a CE too, even if it's not quite up there with the US one.

My main concern with buying a PAL-land copy would be DLC support, especially with the game having so many publishers, I can see delays cropping up, I mean, hell, Disgaea 3 only JUST got confirmation that the trophy patch is coming to the European version.

rainking187 said:
Namco Bandai won't even release their own fucking games in the US and they're releasing other companies games in Europe? SMH.

Didn't Namco Bandai buy out Atari recently so that they would have a European distribution arm? The reason they are publishing it could be more to do with Atari than Namco itself.

Peff

Azure Phoenix said:
Didn't Namco Bandai buy out Atari recently so that they would have a European distribution arm? The reason they are publishing it could be more to do with Atari than Namco itself.

Yep, this happened around August last year after the EU release of Vesperia and since then they've been moving up and down the titles they were to publish (Sam & Max Season 2 for example), so maybe they had even locked the rights by then.

The game has no DLC and it's VERY unlikely that anything will come 16 months after the Japanese release, I'd be more concerned about server support. If they won't even bother translating the game I'm not sure they'll keep them open too long.

Paracelsus

Glad for people that cannot import, but I've been done with the game since the asian release. Hopefully Sony has learned the potential of the franchise and will do a simultaneous worldwide release for the sequel.

Red Scarlet said:

I am confused.
I used to import a lot but the exchange rate (for UK) isn't so great now. Plus there also used to be more of a problem with dodgy PAL ports.
Now, new out games can be gotten for £30-35 online or less while importing will typically cost £40-45. And if you can stand to wait a little, UK online shops are pretty aggressive with their discounting. Money being a concern, it's best to be patient and buy locally (online).
Personally I did buckle and import Demon's Souls, possibly the most I've ever spent on a game. It was good though.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Paracelsus said:
Glad for people that cannot import, but I've been done with the game since the asian release. Hopefully Sony has learned the potential of the franchise and will do a simultaneous worldwide release for the sequel.

LOL , sorry , but really , I think it's not about the quality of the game or it's potential , but instead the shitty relationship between SCEJ and SCEE/SCEA ( it's worse now than last gen ) , it's like anything other than GT from SCEJ is in " we are not sure about that "slot for SCEE/SCEA.

TheThunder said:

oh yeah I just remembered that thread... , but still it can be anything.

Euphor!a

Banned
So I have the Asian version and the US Deluxe Edition and now it looks like I'll be picking up this European Red Phantom Edition... Something is seriously wrong with my brain.

Naeblish

Totobeni said:
oh yeah I just remembered that thread... , but still it can be anything.
Yeah, that doesn't necessarily point to Ds2.

Inanna said:
A part of me wants to buy it day one, but another part of me is thinking it's too little too late.

Seriously FUUUU SCEE!
Believe me, it's never too late for Demons Souls.

Totobeni said:
LOL , sorry , but really , I think it's not about the quality of the game or it's potential , but instead the shitty relationship between SCEJ and SCEE/SCEA ( it's worse now than last gen ) , it's like anything other than GT from SCEJ is in " we are not sure about that "slot for SCEE/SCEA.

It's kinda funny how those 3 are always being dicks to each other you would think that they are not under the same company.

glaurung

Great news, but I got a US copy (vanilla though) from renchi.

Awesome game, but the lack of in-game tutorials and a freaking vertical difficulty curve hampered my beginning a lot.

Dyno

Great news for Europe! This is up there with the Allied Victory.

For those of you on the fence about this one, this game gives serious value for the money. You can play for over a hundred hours on a single character. Characters can become radically different too so it's worth it to play the game again with a different hero.

So Sony (SCEA?) said they regretted not publishing the game, yet SCEE were kind of given a second chance and they stil didn't bother.

Anyways, the annoying news here is Namco still can't even be arsed to publish it's own Tales of Vesperia PS3 in the West.

I'm pleased I imported this when I did and got the snazzy guide with it.

elohel

NAMCO?!

cooool, but weird

does atlus not do european stuff?

how are....publishers or w/e decided?

grats euro players, hope everyone who's been holding out gets to enjoy the game

Top Bottom