• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

Sajjaja

Yup, you can, although I've never done it myself.

I haven't played the game in a few months so I don't proper remember, but as I understood it, the real King Allant is just that weak, putrid blob, overrun by its own lust for power, and he's replaced by the False King Allant (the one you fight in 4-1) as ruler of Boletaria. You're then faced by the same choice he was, to take upon yourself the power of the Demon's Souls, taking the Maiden in Black's Demon Soul in the process, or (if you're stronger willed) to forsake those dark powers and return the world to harmony.

I can't fully remember, but I think the Monumentals were some kind of guardians of balance, and the one you find tasks you with doing just that: defeating the Old One (you do this by killing the real King Allant inside him) and restoring the world's balance.

Hope that helped.

I don't think the game's story's too open to interpretation, but some of the events aren't easily/clearly laid out for you, specially if you don't take the time to read all the item's descriptions, talk to everyone at the Nexus or pay a lot of attention to the details in the environments.

Eh... I guess I was hoping you could kill the Old One and vanquish the evil once and for all.

Guess it'll have to do. Thanks dude, now it's on to Dark Souls! I started it....oh man, it's so much harder than DS.... but alot prettier and the controls feel better.

zkylon

zkylewd
Eh... I guess I was hoping you could kill the Old One and vanquish the evil once and for all.

Guess it'll have to do. Thanks dude, now it's on to Dark Souls! I started it....oh man, it's so much harder than DS.... but alot prettier and the controls feel better.
I'd suggest you play the game again on NG+. The thing I love about Demon's Souls is how different your first and posterior playthroughs feel. The game's exactly the same, but you're not the same -because you know all the traps and map layouts and strategies-, so it feels completely different.

And unfortunately I couldn't get Dark Souls myself. PS3 are pricey as hell in Argentina, and I only got Demon's when they brought those cheap red reeditions.

Sajjaja

I'd suggest you play the game again on NG+. The thing I love about Demon's Souls is how different your first and posterior playthroughs feel. The game's exactly the same, but you're not the same -because you know all the traps and map layouts and strategies-, so it feels completely different.

And unfortunately I couldn't get Dark Souls myself. PS3 are pricey as hell in Argentina, and I only got Demon's when they brought those cheap red reeditions.

Yeah, I know what you mean, I managed to get a used copy for about $28.

I might play DS again simply for the Maiden Astrea fight.....that fight gives me the chills.... It's the most memorable, climactic, emotional and philosophical in the game. Not only that, but the sound track for that fight was AMAZING!

I mean... just listen to this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91dKH-7QkFs

It's so beautiful and emotional.

MMaRsu

Banned
Hmm I killed the
maiden
on my playthrough, didnt know I wasnt supposed to. I didnt want to but then again.........

So what now Im gonna have to replay it? :p

When do the servers go down?

Sajjaja

Hmm I killed the maiden on my playthrough, didnt know I wasnt supposed to. I didnt want to but then again.........

So what now Im gonna have to replay it? :p

When do the servers go down?

They're not. IIRC, From said the servers for Demon's Souls aren't going down anytime soon. I'm pretty sure at least.

EDIT:
I would suggest you both spoiler tag your comments.

Great tune tho

Mine wasn't really spoilery.

I wanted to replay Dark Souls but I'm waiting until at least the big reveal is made and if the reveal is a PC version I'll likely wait for that to launch. So, I decided to pick this up instead and give it a try to get my fix.

Sajjaja

I wanted to replay Dark Souls but I'm waiting until at least the big reveal is made and if the reveal is a PC version I'll likely wait for that to launch. So, I decided to pick this up instead and give it a try to get my fix.

Why are you posting this in the Demon's Souls thread then?

All that being said I really need to pick this game up again as its one of the few games I regret selling. 3 more trophies until plat as well...

jumped back into this yesterday, after platinum'ing dark souls, and am playing an actual magic build for the first time ever (apart from my SL1 royal)

Or magic/dex to be fair, currently swapping between a crescent shotel+3 and a sharp estoc+3 (with buffs) depending on circumstance. So far i've beaten tower knight, fools idol, maneaters, adjudicator and armoured spider. Adjudicator got the pew-pew treatment which was a pretty horrifically short fight. Always melee'd until now, gosh.

Next up flame lurker I reckon.

After beating the game for the second time (only took me 15ish hours now :eek:), one of my few complaints is that some rings are, well... too essential. There are a ton of useful rings out there, but you can never experiment with them because, for instance in soul form, you simply can't get rid of the cling + thief ring combo. This setup is so essential that every other ring just sits in your inventory, only to be used rarely in certain cituations.

I get what you're saying but it's actually not a big deal to drop the thief ring. I only use it for approaching crystal geckos these days. cling ring tends to stay on a bit more but i'll drop it for certain situations if I think the extra HP isn't going to make much difference.

Well PAL servers still full of people it seems, used my black stone in 3-3 and got summoned
by the old monk
in about 5 seconds. Guy must've had a bag full of full moon grass because he spent at least half the fight healing but my shotel chopped him down in the end. thanks for the hat ;)

I suck at getting those crystal lizards at the end of world 4 but of the two I did get one dropped a pure darkmoonstone so happy days +5. Also made a Dragon Knight Sword +5, that's a neat weapon. Nice fast 2H combos, I'll be taking that next time I try some PVP. It's interesting coming back from Dark Souls and not having poise as a consideration.

Sajjaja

Well PAL servers still full of people it seems, used my black stone in 3-3 and got summoned
by the old monk
in about 5 seconds. Guy must've had a bag full of full moon grass because he spent at least half the fight healing but my shotel chopped him down in the end. thanks for the hat ;)

I suck at getting those crystal lizards at the end of world 4 but of the two I did get one dropped a pure darkmoonstone so happy days +5. Also made a Dragon Knight Sword +5, that's a neat weapon. Nice fast 2H combos, I'll be taking that next time I try some PVP. It's interesting coming back from Dark Souls and not having poise as a consideration.

World 3, you will always get summoned for the old monk fight, even if you lay a summon sign down. Everywhere else is barren, atleast in NA.

Sullichin

World 3, you will always get summoned for the old monk fight, even if you lay a summon sign down. Everywhere else is barren, atleast in NA.

It's not totally barren, I've summoned help / been invaded in world 4 a few times and I played like a month ago. And the old monk fight of course. You can also see a lot of ghosts running around. Wish I played this when it launched, though.

2AdEPT

I have a few questions though, if someone feels like answering =-):
I find the hub-levels a little confusing because the game doesn't give you hints on where to go next. I just did the first level up to where the game won't let you proceed any further and then went to the next stone (the mines). Is this a good way to proceed or is there a specific order in which I should do the levels (I tried the other stones and the first enemies seemed to be pretty similar in strength)?

Do crystal lizards not respawn in this? The ones I saw got away and when I came back they were no longer there.

Should I worry about world tendency (I have no idea what that is, I only saw it in the menu)?

Thanks!

the crystal lizard respanws are complex, but iirc you get three respawns per boss in given world. i.e. if you miss some, or want to go stock your shelf in the lizard pit in 2.2, you can kill flamelurker adn dragon god to get more respawns...6 to be exact.

World tendency iis important if you want certain equipment/special characters to appear...if you don't get things to pure black mostly, but several times pure white...you miss large chunks of the game enemy wise and their equipment....too cool equipment to miss imo like foes ring, talisman of beaasts, binded set, a demi-boss miralda with her guillotine axe , (although that's pure white AND pure black for the same character with a different drop each time.) Really no way to know what to do without referring to wiki...this is one time you are allowed to wiki. Many wait to do these things on subsequent playthroughs, or NG+ but I can't stand missing stuff on my virgin run so carefully clicking only those wiki links necessary to figure out what to do is what I did. In a nutshell, it is easier to get things pure white by killing bosses and invading black phantoms, several NPC black phantoms also count but they have to be demi bosses with a name, not random monsters. Therfore its better to do the black stuff first as much as possible (except mephistopholes as npc;s and vendors die permanently each playthrough) and before bosses so that when you kill the said black phantoms (and in so doing you move toward pure white) you will have enough enemies to get you there. YOu pretty much have ot calculate all this and never die in a world as a human you wish to move toward white. PLayin offline at key times is essential (must remember ot go offline before re-entering nexus.) Finally, stockin those ephermeral eye stones will enable you to kill yourself in human form in order ot go pure black prolly anywhere form 6-7 times in a row. Since this was the only game I played for a long while I took the time ot figure all this out and it ws a fun aspect of the game once I had it properly figured...trial and error is not a good way to learn this stuff however and will enact controller throwing otherwise as you really can screw your whole playthrough real easy.

The order is actually important for what you want to do personally with your character, and although I agree that each person has diffferent goals, all are the same to a point and maximizing choice to use equipment on the boss you wnat to use it on means flexibility in weapon creation and travelling is first. Unlike in Dark, the boss souls really count. So you will wanto get the flamelurker soul ASAP to give to blacksmith. Unless you are going pure melee most people wna t get magic cooking ASAP. MOst like the online function....expansion into invading is not automatic. Therefore the early order goes like this:

1.1 (mandatory, bow users or thosethat need a good sheild crutch go directly to 1.2 and either get dragons to fly away with pure white tendency or kill dragon demi boss to get purple flame shield) -> 3.1 for magic shit (save sage freke) and first opportunity to get invading. -> 2.1, 2.2 for fire longsword and to get that flamelurker soul to give to the blacksmith allowing you to use the boss souls on both weapons and magic as early as possible -> 1.2 for warding (but consider saving for later if you are a tough souls enthusiast and interested in white tendency events your first playthrough), 4.1 -> 4.2 for souls aquisition, but really from there its wide open with the exception that 3 level 3 bosses must die before you move on to 1.3, most choose world 2, 4, and 3 in that order, 2.3 is especially importnat to do in a row with 2.2 if you want the dragon bone smasher which is only available with pure white, usually by killing two bosses in one sweep you can get the bone smasher...dedicated magic or dex users need not worry. world five is not necessary early on at all unless you really want the moonlight sword or blueblood sword. So here is my fianl suggestion considering above points only:

1.1, 3.1, 2.1, 2.2, (2.3 if strength based) 1.2, 4.1, 4.2, 3.2 (too many cool rings to ignore), 4.3, 3.3, , 5.1, 5.2, 5.3, 1.3, 1.4. BTW 1.1 INCLUDES Old king doran! He is best done early as possible for his armour...which means cheese method at early levels but heh, its too big a bonus to get the sword/armour for a majority of the playthrough instead of at the end.

world 5 is a bastard like blightown and is best done in one sweep as the armour you need to reduce poison etc is best kept on,and the poison reducing flowers will be built up from other levels.

I think it is pretty sad actaully that most just go through each premliminary stage of each world thinking the difficulty will increase too fast if they do not....ALL bosses in souls games are ment ot have a trick to them and are not staged in difficulty , at least on purpose, that way.....the order of your playthrough has everythingto do with the equipment you wish to use on the greatest number of bosses/levels so do your homework on this at least and don't go through a linear numeric progression!

items worthy of bumping up the order for:

compound long bow for bow lovers; cresent falchion for magic users - 4.1

blueblood sword - 5.3, do all of world five right after 3.1, but get yurts armour if you wish from 3.2. black leather is fine though and yurts is heavy for early game.

moonlight sword...goes through sheilds great for blue/red nights so do before 1.3 at least or even save 1.2 til after as well of you don't mind missing warding and go for second chance instead.

female characters will wan tbinded set early...plan to do either 1.1 and 1.2 back to back off line to get pure white, or save 1.2 so that you can do it with 1.3 for the same reason....I suggest the former.

hmmm well i can't speak for the rest of it as i've been playing offline for tendency stuff. i only went on because i did all the white tendencies first and i wanted to get that server adjust to neutral to save on ephemeral eye stones ;) i didn't have any luck getting summoned to help in that fight but i didn't wait very long either.

i'm told the asian servers are still pretty busy though.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Just started my playthrough this weekend. Got through the first two dungeon bosses after the tutorial (thank god for some guy leaving me a message for where to stand when facing the second boss). Controls feel almost exactly the same as Dark Souls, which is good - all instincts for combat carried over nicely. I'm not sure what style to play yet, so I'm still experimenting with the various weapons as I come across them.

Messing with World Tendencies sounds like a pain, with playing offline on purpose and whatnot. Is it as hard as it sounds, or should I just not worry about it for the time being and just play? I don't really plan to PvP, or get maxed out armor or anything. I'll pull out my boss souls and see if the blacksmith has anything to say about it, though.

Astra

Just started my playthrough this weekend. Got through the first two dungeon bosses after the tutorial (thank god for some guy leaving me a message for where to stand when facing the second boss). Controls feel almost exactly the same as Dark Souls, which is good - all instincts for combat carried over nicely. I'm not sure what style to play yet, so I'm still experimenting with the various weapons as I come across them.

Messing with World Tendencies sounds like a pain, with playing offline on purpose and whatnot. Is it as hard as it sounds, or should I just not worry about it for the time being and just play? I don't really plan to PvP, or get maxed out armor or anything. I'll pull out my boss souls and see if the blacksmith has anything to say about it, though.

World Tendency is pretty easy to manipulate offline. It's been awhile, so I'm not sure if it's better to get it to Pure White first, or Pure Black. In any case, defeating a boss raises the tendency by +2 or 3, I think. (Maybe spoilers?)
There are also two special enemies in each world that raise it 2 or 3 points each. So basically, when it's in the Pure Black, you have to beat both of these special enemies before leaving the world, otherwise the tendency will shift, and they will disappear (they only show up when the tendency is pure black).

Doing it that way, you can go from Pure Black to Pure White very easily. Pure Black is insanely easy. Everytime you die in body form, you gravitate to Pure Black by 1 point.

Astra

That would explain the many bloodstains of people committing suicide in the nexus.

That's likely people killing themselves, entering soul form so they can invade, or be summoned, to another player's world. They may also be going soul form to avoid being invaded, too. Damn Black Phantoms are annoying shit.
Dying in the Nexus has no affect on the world tendencies.

Soulhouf

Does the Asian version has the same servers as the Japanese one?
I have my Japanese version sitting there and since the online is still alive, I would try to play that version (already platined the US and EUR version)

You don't have to play offline to do all world tendency stuff. So don't worry.

That's likely people killing themselves, entering soul form so they can invade, or be summoned, to another player's world. They may also be going soul form to avoid being invaded, too. Damn Black Phantoms are annoying shit.
Dying in the Nexus has no affect on the world tendencies.

I mainly do it so that my white world tendency quest never be screwed. So I guess many players do it for the same purpose.

Akuun

So magic really is broken in this game? I rolled a Royal and for the first time in any Souls game, I felt cheap. In Dark Souls you can't just endlessly kite every enemy with spells, but you can usually do it in Demon's Souls. I actually found myself putting away my catalyst and going in for close combat because it just felt more fair.

I may build my character away from magic in this case.

Astra

So magic really is broken in this game? I rolled a Royal and for the first time in any Souls game, I felt cheap. In Dark Souls you can't just endlessly kite every enemy with spells, but you can usually do it in Demon's Souls. I actually found myself putting away my catalyst and going in for close combat because it just felt more fair.

I may build my character away from magic in this case.

Yeah, I went with a Dexterity build, and use the Hiltless Katana, and Sticky Compound Bow. I do massive damage, but I am pretty weak defensively. So I have to be careful, and make good use of my dodge skills.

Magic definitely can be overpowered, especially if you bring the right spells along with you for whatever world and boss you'll be facing.

Akuun

Yeah, I went with a Dexterity build, and use the Hiltless Katana, and Sticky Compound Bow. I do massive damage, but I am pretty weak defensively. So I have to be careful, and make good use of my dodge skills.

Magic definitely can be overpowered, especially if you bring the right spells along with you for whatever world and boss you'll be facing.
That sounds like much the same build I used in Dark Souls. XD

Which is the problem. I think I tend to gravitate towards bows and fast weapons, which means Dex builds, but I was hoping to try something different this time around.

Maybe I'll go with dex/faith or something.

Astra

That sounds like much the same build I used in Dark Souls. XD

Which is the problem. I think I tend to gravitate towards bows and fast weapons, which means Dex builds, but I was hoping to try something different this time around.

Maybe I'll go with dex/faith or something.

I did that build! It's pretty solid, especially with a certain weapon you can find. It can't be blocked, so you slice through enemies like nothing.

I never actually tried a strength focused build. I like to play finesse characters, and use skill and strategy to make my way through.

Akuun

Just finished 3-1. God, that level is annoying. Once I figured out how to beat the octopus-head caster guys, the rest of the level was just one big long maze where every hallway looked the same and was dark as hell with instant death pits lurking around. I'm starting to understand why people say Dark Souls is hard mostly because of combat and Demon's Souls is hard mostly because of traps. I didn't die much, but it felt tedious because I got pretty lost and moved super slowly out of caution.

Is Dark Souls prettier than Demon's Souls? The first three levels of DmS I've finished so far are all very dark, cramped and grimy. It's understandable for the atmosphere, but only a handful of areas in DkS looked this depressing.

Still sitting on all my usable soul items because I'm still torn about what build to use. Part of me wants to go "fuck it" and just go with magic anyway - sometimes I don't feel patient enough to fight everything traditionally - but part of me doesn't want to be cheap.

Akuun

Probably. Dark Souls had speedruns where all deaths were intentional. I bet people have gotten to the same level of skill with Demon's Souls.

Yup, thats been done before. The guy didn't even bother saving in the entire game, such confidence

How do you mean? You can't save outside the quicksaves can you?

Also, fuck me you've gotta be good to avoid enemy deaths, let alone the environmental deaths you get when you either rush or get a bit cocky

krakov

After playing hundreds of hours of Dark Souls I finally broke down and bought a PS3 with Demon's Souls. Spent this week playing it and made it through at 30-40 something hours, didn't prepare or look up that many facts for my first run.

I'm surprised at how easy it was compared to first playing Dark Souls, but I guess you get a lot for free since they are similar. The bosses especially were weaksauce, some of them just dying before the fight even got started. I think my non-build was kinda shitty with stats randomly spread between VIT/INT/END/STR/FAI. Ended up at SL 68 I think and felt like I was just cleaning up at the last half of the game. Had some decent trouble on 3-1 and 5-2 as I remember. Giant depraved ones are the stuff of nightmares.

Really enjoyed it though and started a new character right away. Will make sure to check out all the World tendency stuff and other things I may have missed.

Is there a guide somewhere that roughly estimates the usual SL for different levels/bosses? Is it in line to end up at SL 70-ish for NG?

Quikies83

Okay I'm starting up my first playthrough tonight - I've pumped over 80 hours into Dark Souls and craving demon crack before servers fade into the dark.
I ran through DaS with a Pyro and another with a Knight.. Both were Dex/End builds. What are the top character classes in DeS? Is Royalty the way to go?
I'm firing up the game now :)

krakov

Okay I'm starting up my first playthrough tonight - I've pumped over 80 hours into Dark Souls and craving demon crack before servers fade into the dark.
I ran through DaS with a Pyro and another with a Knight.. Both were Dex/End builds. What are the top character classes in DeS? Is Royalty the way to go?
I'm firing up the game now :)

Royalty seems way overpowered as a starter class. I'd recommend something else if you want it to be somewhat challenging.

Akuun

According to the wiki, Royalty is the most customizable starting class due to low starting soul level. So maybe start as Royalty and then build your character however you want.

But krakov is right: if you roll Royalty and choose to use Soul Arrow whenever you can, expect to absolutely mow your way through the first few levels - especially since you've finished Dark Souls.

just started Demon's SOuls yesterday, never played it or Dark Souls before and damnit this game is hard indeed! BUT now that i figured out Soul Arrow + auto aim (i did it with manually "aiming" and that sucks so hard) i keep mowing down fools left and right, good times..

i am about to enter the final door of 1-1 to face my first actual boss now :)

2 things though:

-no pausing >:O( unbelievably annoying no matter the reasons for it

- i went into 1-1 fresh and got to some parts where enemies were ALREADY cleaned up? who the fuck did that? i thought the only interaction would be either ghosts of other players OR some phantom invading your game when you're not in Soul form(which i was) right?

Quikies83

just started Demon's SOuls yesterday, never played it or Dark Souls before and damnit this game is hard indeed! BUT now that i figured out Soul Arrow + auto aim (i did it with manually "aiming" and that sucks so hard) i keep mowing down fools left and right, good times..

i am about to enter the final door of 1-1 to face my first actual boss now :)

2 things though:

-no pausing >:O( unbelievably annoying no matter the reasons for it

- i went into 1-1 fresh and got to some parts where enemies were ALREADY cleaned up? who the fuck did that? i thought the only interaction would be either ghosts of other players OR some phantom invading your game when you're not in Soul form(which i was) right?

There's a NPC that you can help in 1-1 and he'll take care of a few areas for you. Maybe this is what happened?

Akuun

Yes, the no pausing kind of blows, but on the plus side, the enemies are all very patterned or consistent, so if you know you haven't aggroed anything and no patrols are coming your way, you are pretty much safe to step away for a bit.

Not sure about player invasions though. Do those only happen when you're in human form?

krakov

Not a fan of the tendency stuff. I find it close to impossible to see if an area is pure white or not. Getting it there offline pretty much requires a guide or know-how (from previously reading a guide) and getting there online is pure luck.

There's a NPC that you can help in 1-1 and he'll take care of a few areas for you. Maybe this is what happened?

oh you must mean that "Ostrava" guy or something... i freed him in a previous run through but then i only have to free him ONCE right? So you're saying he would keep running around smashing enemies before i even have a chance to get to them then on subsequent runs? hmmm

krakov

oh you must mean that "Ostrava" guy or something... i freed him in a previous run through but then i only have to free him ONCE right? So you're saying he would keep running around smashing enemies before i even have a chance to get to them then on subsequent runs? hmmm

Yes, he can also be killed by them, so keep a look out.

Akuun

Did all the first area bosses and 1-2.

When I faced the
Tower Knight
I totally expected the cinematic to go like Dark Souls and
have the second guy jump down and fight alongside him. But a mass crossbow killzone is fun too.
My face went from "uhhh..." to "are you fucking kidding me" when that happened.

alright 2 things:

- Ostrava is NOT at the spot he was supposed to be in 1-2 at the start so i guess he got killed somehow before... i DID save him once but not everytime i went back to 1-1 after that so fuck him i guess, is that bad for the rest of the game that he's gone now?

- I am a Royal with a 15 magic stat which is enough to unlock 2 slots correct? How come i know Soul Arrow but now i bought Protection spell and can NOT remember it/equip it?

It keeps saying "not enough capacity" What gives?

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
alright 2 things:

- Ostrava is NOT at the spot he was supposed to be in 1-2 at the start so i guess he got killed somehow before... i DID save him once but not everytime i went back to 1-1 after that so fuck him i guess, is that bad for the rest of the game that he's gone now?

- I am a Royal with a 15 magic stat which is enough to unlock 2 slots correct? How come i know Soul Arrow but now i bought Protection spell and can NOT remember it/equip it?

It keeps saying "not enough capacity" What gives?

- You miss out on 2 items, a pure clearstone and the mausuleum key. With the latter you could enter an optional area (opens door behind the red eye knight in 1-1).

- Intelligence is the stat for magic slots/mp, not magic itself. You need 14 INT for 2 slots. Then it's just a matter of remembering them in the mage's menu.

Top Bottom