• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

oracrest

Oh yeah, nice. I saw your recent post in there. Very sporting of you to help your buddies out. Wish I had a decent connection so I could arrange sessions with peeps back home...

Anyhoo, you take your sweet time and let us know when you start uploading videos ;)

I was playing Demon's Souls a while before I started the recordings, so this one might be a bit off still. I generally want to be able to beat it through somewhat easily, and not have to edit TONS of deaths and choke points of playing through.

Mifune

Mehmber
Oh those fucking RATS.

Seriously, I was cruising through 5-1, wondering what all the fuss was about, when I looked down at the plank below and couldn't figure out why the floor was moving. Oh gross, rats! Oh well, they're just rats. I think I'll attack them with my swor -- BAM you have the plague!

I'm so disgusted by this game right now. Funny thing is it wasn't even the rats that did me in. Nope, I met my end at the hands of a Giant Depraved One, who looked a lot like a normal depraved one from a distance.

Fuck me, I don't want to go back in there. But I'm so addicted that I must. Demon's Souls is an evil, evil creature that's holding all my other games hostage until I defeat it.

zkylon

zkylewd
Oh those fucking RATS.

Seriously, I was cruising through 5-1, wondering what all the fuss was about, when I looked down at the plank below and couldn't figure out why the floor was moving. Oh gross, rats! Oh well, they're just rats. I think I'll attack them with my swor -- BAM you have the plague!

I'm so disgusted by this game right now. Funny thing is it wasn't even the rats that did me in. Nope, I met my end at the hands of a Giant Depraved One, who looked a lot like a normal depraved one from a distance.

Fuck me, I don't want to go back in there. But I'm so addicted that I must. Demon's Souls is an evil, evil creature that's holding all my other games hostage until I defeat it.
My feelings exactly for 5-1. Such a gut wrenching, treacherous world and yet it's one of my favorites.

Use ranged against the rats, if you haven't guessed it already. Magic works too.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Oh those fucking RATS.

Scariest enemies of the entire game. I was terrified of those things. To make matters worse, when I tried melee on them, half of the time my swings'd miss. I guess the rats are proof enough that you really need a good ranged weapon at all times in this game.

Speaking of range, I started over as Royalty, and damn... It's like playing this game in easy mode. I've beaten 5 bosses and only died a handful of times. If you already the layout of the levels and the enemy types, this class makes the game a breeze (at least so far).

zkylon

zkylewd
Scariest enemies of the entire game. I was terrified of those things. To make matters worse, when I tried melee on them, half of the time my swings'd miss. I guess the rats are proof enough that you really need a good ranged weapon at all times in this game.

Speaking of range, I started over as Royalty, and damn... It's like playing this game in easy mode. I've beaten 5 bosses and only died a handful of times. If you already the layout of the levels and the enemy types, this class makes the game a breeze (at least so far).
Yeah, even for a first timer (like me), Soul Arrow is a bless to have.

greyshark

Speaking of range, I started over as Royalty, and damn... It's like playing this game in easy mode. I've beaten 5 bosses and only died a handful of times.If you already the layout of the levels and the enemy types, this class makes the game a breeze (at least so far).

That is all you really need to have a much easier time with it.

oracrest

Oh those fucking RATS.

LOL

1286838714225.png

UrbanRats

Man, is the 4th world a let down.
It starts pretty cool, with a nice moody level, but
it doesn't go anywhere and it has some really lame bosses (Old Hero is blind or something? With the Thief Ring i was practically in God Mode) and Storm King too, wasn't that hard (compared to other bosses, anyway).. plus the 4.2 was super short.
Everything else it's fantastic, so far.

Is there an archive of those Demon's Souls comics?

Lets describe our most infuriating Demon's Souls moments.

For me, it was level 4-2. It took me ages to figure out how to kill those
Shadowlurkers, so I ended up avoiding them. In a brief moment of peace, I saw the yellow glow that always piques your interest 'Oh look, an item on the floor, perhaps a reward for finally navigating this treacherous hell. Odd that it should be left in the open like this, normally they're in a corner or on a ledge or something. I wonder what it is. Crescent Moongrass? Lame. Ah well, at least I'm past those invisible things. What the fuck is that laughing noise?'

Next thing you know, I've had a dagger shoved in my spine, and am swearing profusely, while exercising all my retraint to prevent myself from hurling my controller at the wall.

Sullichin

lool @ the giant depraved comic.

i recently platinumed dark souls, and I've "only" beaten this game once.. i can't believe i'm thinking about doing another playthrough of Demons instead of playing one of the many games in my backlog. *FUCK*

I really, really want them to release this game on Vita. Demons Souls directors cut or something! THIS NEEDS TO HAPPEN

Beat the game melee only last time, which is kind of annoying in this game, there's too many enemies that require ranged attacks to feasibly beat (compared to Dark Souls). The blue dragon in 4-3 was a major pain in the ass because my ranged magic attacks did such little damage.

Finished it. Took down Allant with a mix of the wuss strategy + melee. I'm surprised how
how little there was to the endgame. It's just a formality. Your last level boss is basically the end boss.

Started a NG+, but I'm just as tempted to start over with a magic user. Probably gonna wait a bit before jumping into Dark Souls. Tbh I wonder if I'll like it as much as this game. Big part of the charm here was the variety of level choices you had and how quickly you could jump between areas. Dunno if it's so easy in Dark with its connected world...

I think Dark Souls is the better game. It handles health and magic better, you won't be farming grass or farming souls for grass (there's still farming in the game though). There's a nice variety in the worlds in Dark. You might get fatigued of some early areas if you're stuck and can't go somewhere else as easily as you could with the nexus, but on the other hand exploring and uncovering the interconnected world is one of the best aspects of the game. You'll eventually get an ability to warp between certain points. It's open world in a similar way that a metroid game would be. I think Dark Souls is harder than Demons, the bosses in Demon's didn't give me as much trouble my first time through in comparison. The last boss being able to delevel you is pretty hardcore, but I still beat him on my first try.. I was stuck on Dark's last boss for hours, but as is the nature with these games, I can beat that boss handily now.

zkylon

zkylewd
Would anyone else love a book or graphic novel based in the Demon's Souls universe? Preferably with illustrations done by the guys over at From. Part of me likes the fact that its so vague and you can fill in the gaps yourself, but the other part of me sees a rich tapestry that has barely had its surface scratched.
Hmm, good question. I think I'm good as it is. I'd really want a better artbook, but I like the aura of mystery and dread that you get from not knowing. I like to comparing the story of Demon's Souls to archeology. You go around, inspecting remains and items left by the past, trying to make what happened with what survived is what I love about DS' story and universe. I don't think that would work so well in any other medium.

Clevinger

Guys, I have a quick question. If I die, then die while trying to recover my first death's souls/bloodstain, will my first death's souls/blood disappear? Thanks.

zkylon

zkylewd
Guys, I have a quick question. If I die, then die while trying to recover my first death's souls/bloodstain, will my first death's souls/blood disappear? Thanks.
Yes, you can only have one bloodstain at a time. If you die, all the souls you had on your bloodstain are gone.

Sajjaja

Yes, you can only have one bloodstain at a time. If you die, all the souls you had on your bloodstain are gone.

Oh man did I learn that the Demon's Souls way.....I didn't lose any souls up until I tried to get to tower knight....the way there,

"Oh hey there's a bridge with loot on it, don't mind if I do....what the fuck is that soun- YOU ARE DEAD." Dragon killed me.

"Okay so, maybe I should sprint there and come back real quick here I g- YOU ARE DEAD." Dragon killed me again.

"Okay, fuck the loot, let's just run across, let's hope I'm fast enou-" YOU ARE DEAD.

"OKAY FUCK, UNEQUIP EVERYTHING, RUN! YES MADE IT PAST! Okay so he holy attacked in the first part of the bridge so I should be goo-" YOU ARE DEAD.

"GOD FUCKING DAMN IT! Oh hey, an underground path, let's go there. Pretty dark, hope no one ambushe-" YOU ARE DEAD

"FUCK THIS GAME! NO, I MUST MAKE IT TO THE END! Okay, he's dead, he's dead, these guys are chumps, nothing will get in my way no-" YOU ARE DEAD. Killed by 6 random dogs in the tunnel

"fuck...this...shit....." Closes game till next day

"Okay, this is easily yadda yadda. Okay, seems I gotta go back up to the surface to cross the end of the bridge. I know the dragon will attack me, so let's see where the max point is that I can reach before getting burned. Got it. YES I RAN PAST! FUCK THERE ARE ARCHERS I CAN'T ATTACK! WHAT THE FUCK THERE'S A BLUE EYED KNIG-" YOU ARE DEAD

Repeat last scenario about 100 times. Losing souls each time and never gaining them back....

"FUCK YES, FINALLY, EAT MY SOUL ARROWS BITCHES! Okay...boss fight next...let's rape this HOLY FUCK THE FUCK IS THA-" YOU ARE DEAD

Oh....Demon's Souls....the only relationship where I will keep coming back despite the abuse I take...

Clevinger

This game. I rage quit at the Tower Knight, and now all I can think about is going back to the game. It's like it's calling to me. This must be what heroin addicts feel like when going cold turkey.

Dibbz

God fucking dammit I got the game a week ago and am only on 1-2. Fuck sake. I already broken my default sword and am relegated to using the bastard sword (actual name I think) and even that is getting weaker. I don't know if I will ever finish this chapter let alone the god damn game :(

Clevinger

God fucking dammit I got the game a week ago and am only on 1-2. Fuck sake. I already broken my default sword and am relegated to using the bastard sword (actual name I think) and even that is getting weaker. I don't know if I will ever finish this chapter let alone the god damn game :(

Try out the other worlds' first levels. That's the advice I got from a friend anyway.

Dibbz

I feel like I am close to beating 1-2 but then I die and try it again and do something dumb and get killed by an arrow or something stupid. Gah. Also I tried another world not sure which one but it was all orange and stuff but there was some crazy clown thing that killed me with fire so I figured I wasn't ready for it.

zkylon

zkylewd
I feel like I am close to beating 1-2 but then I die and try it again and do something dumb and get killed by an arrow or something stupid. Gah. Also I tried another world not sure which one but it was all orange and stuff but there was some crazy clown thing that killed me with fire so I figured I wasn't ready for it.
That's 2-1. Don't let yourself get frustrated. Just keep in mind that the first few runs you give each map are for familiarizing yourself with the layout, enemies and traps and to loot the place. You'll die a lot at first. You'll probably take about 5 deaths before reaching the boss, and then you'll likely die anyways. The souls you lose aren't even that important since there are places that are great for grinding souls anyways (as there are great places to farm grass, like world 1-X).

Don't sweat it. Your souls might be lost, but your memory's intact and you'll see you'll be breezing through what previously seemed like hard levels.

For now, explore all the X-1 worlds and try to get as far as you can with each. Try to look everywhere for useful items (there's some important stuff in the X-1 levels, like the Talisman of God, the Crescent Falchion+1, etc.).

Sullichin

Wow NG+ is hard, definitely seems like a bigger jump in difficulty than Dark Souls NG+. I take back what I said about this being the easier game.

Mxrz

Yep. The later NG+ aren't as big a jump as that first one, but it isn't like Dark where its almost non-existent. I loaded up my game recently, 1500 health (body), sl 180'ish (got bored while PBS farming) wossname armor, NG++++. Tower Knight killed me in 1 hit.

Soulhouf

Go to the blacksmith and repair your weapon. Why let it broken?

Sullichin: Even NG is more difficult in Demon's Souls if you don't use magic.
Also try to beat the game at lv1. It's way mor difficult than Dark Souls.

Sullichin

Go to the blacksmith and repair your weapon. Why let it broken?

Sullichin: Even NG is more difficult in Demon's Souls if you don't use magic.
Also try to beat the game at lv1. It's way mor difficult than Dark Souls.

Yep. The later NG+ aren't as big a jump as that first one, but it isn't like Dark where its almost non-existent. I loaded up my game recently, 1500 health (body), sl 180'ish (got bored while PBS farming) wossname armor, NG++++. Tower Knight killed me in 1 hit.

Lol I'm like SL82, Dark Silver Armor, meat cleaver. 4-1 is DESTROYING me. It feels like when I first got the game. I don't use magic.

FUCK I forgot I aggroed the one blue phantom dude who's sitting down in the nexus. He has a LOT of health and kills me really fast. Did not expect him to put up so much of a fight. His equivalent in Dark Souls dies in one hit to a strong weapon. Now even the nexus isn't safe! Will Yurt kill him if I release him? :p

edit: nevermind, killed him

I remember finishing up my NG++ during the PBWT event, and even Dirty Colossus was a real fight. It's like my ~190SL and upgraded weapons did me no good at all. And I'm always pure melee, just to get that out there.

But I'm not sure, some areas in Dark Souls were harder, but aside from a few areas and bosses N++ was harder in Demon's for me. Probably because I just got sick of soul farming halfway through my NG+ and just went all out for NG++, leveling up only when I could.

My horror story. So during PBWT I'm soul farming the usual way heading back through 4-2 from the Old Hero archstone soul sucking the black phantom skeletons. And for whatever reason I choose to run back to the archestone instead of warping out, and somehow on the way back I fall into a slug pit and they all attack me in one fluid sequence, one attacks, then another, then another...nothing I could do and I lose 190,000 souls. I head back in there to collect my souls, and in a Ambien haze I forget to collect them (probably from just doing the routine so many times and forgetting), and on that particular run I start my soulsucker animation too far away and a skeleton fucking destroys me. 190,000 souls gone, due to memory and stupidity...

Sullichin

Wow, had no idea duping items was so easy in this game. Decided to wuss out and makes things easier for myself in NG+. Really nice to not worry about dying in body form because i've got tons of stones of ephemeral eyes, spent most of my first playthrough in soul form with cling ring, glad to free up that slot and always have more health. I'm sure I'll do more legitimate runs of this game, but I'm having tons of fun souping up my character at will and going through NG+. Surprised that tower knight still took quite a beating.

zkylon

zkylewd
Wow, had no idea duping items was so easy in this game. Decided to wuss out and makes things easier for myself in NG+. Really nice to not worry about dying in body form because i've got tons of stones of ephemeral eyes, spent most of my first playthrough in soul form with cling ring, glad to free up that slot and always have more health. I'm sure I'll do more legitimate runs of this game, but I'm having tons of fun souping up my character at will and going through NG+. Surprised that tower knight still took quite a beating.
I duped all the souls for the weapon achievements. Consuming the souls isn't worth it, it'd just ruin the point of the game.

Soulhouf

Staying in body form is more challenging because of 2 elements:
- when your character tends to be white tendency, enemies do less damage to you compared to when you're in body form and you have more health when you're in soul form
- every time you die in body form it makes the game harder (the world will tend to pure black)

Sullichin

I duped all the souls for the weapon achievements. Consuming the souls isn't worth it, it'd just ruin the point of the game.

I don't care about the trophies. I was going to farm for souls so I could use second chance. After platinuming dark souls and beating this once, I've had my share of farming for now, and I just want to have fun. Like I said I'm sure I'll do other playthroughs of this. I'm not ruining anything for myself, I'm having a lot of fun with this duped run. Hell it's still challenging, died a couple of times to maneater last night. They gave me no problems in NG.. perhaps I should bring a shield to this fight, it's hard to outmaneuver two of them.

Staying in body form is more challenging because of 2 elements:
- when your character tends to be white tendency, enemies do less damage to you compared to when you're in body form and you have more health when you're in soul form
- every time you die in body form it makes the game harder (the world will tend to pure black)

Yep, i still do better in body form though because of the increased health. And after spending most of my time in soul form on my first playthrough it's cool to do it the other way.

I know i'm totally cheating by duping items. Duh. It's not my first (or my last) playthrough. Just experiencing the game in a new way.

Dibbz

Oh god I finally beat the Tower Knight on 1-2. Holy shit that took me way too long. Anyway I don't think I can proceed in there anymore so I went to 2-1 I think. Was playing so cool with my normal human body, just killing everything then got to a giant spider. Fuck had no idea what to do. Tried to shield and got webbed up and he just threw fire rocks or something at me.

I didn't stand a chance :( Fuuu it's quite a long mission to.

Sajjaja

Oh god I finally beat the Tower Knight on 1-2. Holy shit that took me way too long. Anyway I don't think I can proceed in there anymore so I went to 2-1 I think. Was playing so cool with my normal human body, just killing everything then got to a giant spider. Fuck had no idea what to do. Tried to shield and got webbed up and he just threw fire rocks or something at me.

I didn't stand a chance :( Fuuu it's quite a long mission to.

2-1 was the only boss I managed to do in one try xD I'm a Knight btw :p

Dibbz

I'm a knight as well. I just watch a youtube video to see how to beat him and, he made it look so easy. God damn I must suck. Although I don't have any spells or magic. Am I supposed to have some by now? Will they help me much?

Sajjaja

I'm a knight as well. I just watch a youtube video to see how to beat him and, he made it look so easy. God damn I must suck. Although I don't have any spells or magic. Am I supposed to have some by now? Will they help me much?

I didn't have any spells or magic either. Magic is like....fucking overpowered as fuck in this game, so it'd help, but you don't need it. And there is no sucking in Demon's Souls....there is only laying down and taking it in the butt....

I'll try to remember what I did here: I remember that if you stay all the way at the back of the tunnel, his fire won't reach you. and if I remember correctly he shoots a web at you when you're walking up to him then followed by 3 blasts of fire? Dodge the web and you can dodge the flames. When I got up close to him, I think i did slashing attacks cause he was a little higher than me. Then when he was about to attack again, there is this little area in the room he's in, a wooden pillar to the back left (infront of spider his right) of the room, which is where I stood to dodge some of the attacks. When he is about to do his giant fire blast, run all the fuck to the back of the tunnel as soon as you can. Rinse and repeat.

Are you using the PFS? If so, just walk straight towards him at the start of the fight, he'll web you but just ignore it, keep walking towards him. Your Flame Shield should take most of the fireball damage. Once you get close just block his swipes and hit him both times he goes down. After that, run back to the beginning of the area to avoid his huge flamethrower attack, rinse and repeat. Easy boss.

zkylon

zkylewd
What is PFS?
Purple Flame Shield. It's a shield that's strong against fire, but it's unlikely you have it at this point.

I suggest that you get a bow or magic and dodge a lot against the spider. It's pretty easy if you learn to spot the web she spits. Shoot once or twice, dodge, rinse and repeat.

What is PFS?

Yeah, it's the Purple Flame Shield. You can get it easily by sprinting to the pickup closest to the Red Dragon on 1-1, it'll kill you but you'll still keep the shield, just make sure you can bear the weight burden. Or if you've got PWWT the dragon won't be there.

Or you could just spam kill the Red-Eyed Knight on 1-1 to get it, but it's a very rare drop. In any case, especially for 2-2, don't leave 1-1 without it if you're primarily a melee character 1st playthrough.

Sajjaja

Yeah, it's the Purple Flame Shield. You can get it easily by sprinting to the pickup closest to the Red Dragon on 1-1, it'll kill you but you'll still keep the shield, just make sure you can bear the weight burden. Or if you've got PWWT the dragon won't be there.

Or you could just spam kill the Red-Eyed Knight on 1-1 to get it, but it's a very rare drop. In any case, especially for 2-2, don't leave 1-1 without it if you're primarily a melee character 1st playthrough.

I've been trying to get this item for the longest time....I've picked up every item on the bridge and I haven't gotten it.... So now I'm trying to farm the Red Eye Knight but it's not dropping for the life of me....

zkylon

zkylewd
I've been trying to get this item for the longest time....I've picked up every item on the bridge and I haven't gotten it.... So now I'm trying to farm the Red Eye Knight but it's not dropping for the life of me....
Don't bother farming it. It'll take as much time as killing the Red Dragon in 1-2 and it'll be less profitable in the end. Make sure to bring with you about 300 arrows.

zkylon

zkylewd
Why, does he drop it? Cause I need the shield for Flame Lurker.
You can get the shield in 1-1 in an open grassy area guarded by the Blue and Red Dragons. If you get down there and try to grab any of the items near the Dragons you'll gonna get roast, unless you gotta kill the Red Dragon in 1-2 or have PWWT in World 1.

Check here for more info.

Top Bottom