• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Depression

Status
Not open for further replies.

Collete

Thread title debate could have gone on forever. This is a compromise that should come closest to satisfying everyone, while providing no one with 100% satisfaction.

I put some banners in the new OT. Pushed them MSPaint skills to the max!

(I agree that we need real art)

I won't guarantee it, but I'll try to make one...It beats school work. I can't guarantee I'll get it done though. So make sure to ask Prax.
It's in the back log of the four other things I have to draw for people now lol.

ThreeSixty

December 16, 2009. 4:00 AM. THE LIGHT FIELD is the force. The mind. That guides. Controls.
All I want to say is that I suffered from depression in almost all of 2010. It's a dark tunnel. You get through it. I drank alcohol. Eventually I stopped. I know it's clichéd but things do get better. Your life improves. You feel happier. It's all about positive steps forward. Think of all the things you can do to incite positive change then do it.

It works out in the end. And believe me. I was in a deep depression. 10.00am and I'm drinking a bottle of gin and coke. It does get better. Believe me. You'll be okay.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Wish I were happy for longer than just a few days at a time. I'm such a failure.
I don't think success is measured by the amount of happiness you can manage to endure. That said, I haven't been truly happy in a long time, so I'm no one to tell you that.

All I want to say is that I suffered from depression in almost all of 2010. It's a dark tunnel. You get through it. I drank alcohol. Eventually I stopped. I know it's clichéd but things do get better. Your life improves. You feel happier. It's all about positive steps forward. Think of all the things you can do to incite positive change then do it.

It works out in the end. And believe me. I was in a deep depression. 10.00am and I'm drinking a bottle of gin and coke deep. It does get better. Believe me. You'll be okay.
I was heavily depressed during 2010 too. 2011 ended up becoming (probably) the best year of my life, and in 2012 everything went to shit. 2013 seems to follow on last year's footsteps, but at least this time I won't have a huge fall that makes things worse.

So no, I don't know if it gets better. I can hope so, but it's been over a year and things haven't got better at all.

Windam

Scaley member
Dry eyes are not terribly common, but it happens with Wellbutrin. Try some eye drops.

Wow - a concusion. Sorry to hear that, Windam. Take it easy for a little bit, okay?

Please tell me they clear up. If not, I'm just going to stop taking it, and probably all antidepressants from hereon out. I give up.

And no time to rest. Test Friday on chemical structures and polarity and lewis structures and... I don't fucking know what, plus a biology lab report due that day and a bio test the following Tuesday. I don't know how I'm going to manage this considering I can't think straight right now. Fuck.

Life's a bitch. Truly. I didn't sign up for this; I want out.

ThreeSixty

December 16, 2009. 4:00 AM. THE LIGHT FIELD is the force. The mind. That guides. Controls.
I was heavily depressed during 2010 too. 2011 ended up becoming (probably) the best year of my life, and in 2012 everything went to shit. 2013 seems to follow on last year's footsteps, but at least this time I won't have a huge fall that makes things worse.

So no, I don't know if it gets better. I can hope so, but it's been over a year and things haven't got better at all.

Dude. You've just said that 2011 was the best year of your life. If that's possible then every waking moment moving forward from now on could equal the happiness you felt in 2011. Don't think of it as years but as a constant stream of time. Don't divide the time down and say "Oh well this year was good; that year wasn't". Take it day by day and say to yourself "What can I do today that would make this day awesome?". "What can I do so when I fall asleep later tonight I'll have a smile on my face?".

I find that life needs positive energy for you to have any degree of happiness. You can't just sit there and "wait" for good things to happen. You have to instigate and enforce them yourself. And believe me I've been through it. 2010 was quite possibly the most negative year I've ever had but things honestly and genuinely did get better.

Energy man. Apply the energy. Make your life happy.

ThreeSixty

Please tell me they clear up. If not, I'm just going to stop taking it, and probably all antidepressants from hereon out. I give up.

And no time to rest. Test Friday on chemical structures and polarity and lewis structures and... I don't fucking know what, plus a biology lab report due that day and a bio test the following Tuesday. I don't know how I'm going to manage this considering I can't think straight right now. Fuck.

You don't mean life. You mean the course you're working on. Too much stress and pressure. It's driving you into the ground. You've obligated yourself to too much work you can manage and it is seriously affecting your will to live. Harsh words but that would be my initial prognosis. You need to reduce your workload. Talk to the student support team (do you have one?) and get extensions. Anything to take the immense weight that's pressured on your shoulders right now and make it lighter.

I don't know anything about you but my initial reaction here is you're going through something similar to what I went through in my final year of University. There are ways around it. Try and reduce the pressure. Trust me. You'll feel better. I followed my own advice and eventually did. What can you do to reduce the workload? Anything?

EdmondD

I think it would be in your best interest to take a break from school. It seems like the pressure of your school work is really grinding you down making your depression worst.

heidern

I agree with this. Sadly, the new thread is already up, and I don't think the title can be changed.
You can PM a mod if you want a thread title changed. I don't think it makes that big a difference either way. Seems the new thread attracted some new posters already though. Maybe just having |OT| helps.

I put some banners in the new OT. Pushed them MSPaint skills to the max!
My screen resolution is 1024x768, the banners force horizontal scrolling. Can you reduce the width?

Can any of you help me out here? I'm about to Google it, but is hypnosis-based therapy legitimate? I was assigned to a social worker through a hospital and upon meeting him I found out this is his shtick. Rocks the Yin-Yang symbol on his pamphlet and my gut reaction is not so good.

Hypnosis is a tool, it's also unofficial and unregulated. It's only as good as the practitioner. Your gut reaction not being good is a giveaway, I'd trust your gut on this. You can look for a hypnotherapist yourself and find one you trust to work with, rather than this dodgy sounding social worker. If you wanna try alternative therapy what I'd recommend is the free PStec tools, you can use them yourself.
http://www.pstec.org/selfhelp.php

Windam

Scaley member

Right now I'm in my last semester/last 7 weeks of grade 12. Cutting any courses/taking an extended time off of school would probably just make me feel even worse considering I'd likely have to repeat a semester of high school to get out of there and into university. But I really do mean life, ThreeSixty. School was stressful but I somehow managed (if half-assedly) until now, but since I've hit my head, everything's gotten worse. The Wellbutrin seemed to be helping but I'd rather not suffer dry, burning and itchy eyes for it. It just feels like it doesn't get better; I just can't have a good thing going for me.

Windam and neojubei: Have you guys considered electroconvulsive therapy?

If nothing else is working, it may be worth a shot. As far as I know it has helped people overcome depression that did not respond well to other medications.

I know I've mentioned this you neojubei in the past. Did you ever look into it dude?

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Windam and neojubei: Have you guys considered electroconvulsive therapy?

If nothing else is working, it may be worth a shot. As far as I know it has helped people overcome depression that did not respond well to other medications.

I know I've mentioned this you neojubei in the past. Did you ever look into it dude?

Discussed it with my therapist. it involves going in as a in-patient and being there for weeks. i dont think i can do or afford that.

I'm looking into The Fisher Wallace Stimulator

Mort

Banned
At school or at work? Not sure where you are in terms of age. If it's work, set yourself a date on when you want to get that next position or job and do everything you can to achieve that.

School. All my homework requires an internet connection which is part of why it's so hard to stay motivated.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Dude. You've just said that 2011 was the best year of your life. If that's possible then every waking moment moving forward from now on could equal the happiness you felt in 2011. Don't think of it as years but as a constant stream of time. Don't divide the time down and say "Oh well this year was good; that year wasn't". Take it day by day and say to yourself "What can I do today that would make this day awesome?". "What can I do so when I fall asleep later tonight I'll have a smile on my face?".

I find that life needs positive energy for you to have any degree of happiness. You can't just sit there and "wait" for good things to happen. You have to instigate and enforce them yourself. And believe me I've been through it. 2010 was quite possibly the most negative year I've ever had but things honestly and genuinely did get better.

I know that good things won't happen just because. I'm the one who needs to force them.

I definitely have to start changing my life. How, I don't know.

And I realise that this will probably be the last time I post in this thread. From now on, I'm moving to the new one. Goodbye, old thread. We had some good times and bad times. You will be missed.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
My screen resolution is 1024x768, the banners force horizontal scrolling. Can you reduce the width?

Honestly, we're already pushing my art skills in making them exactly 200 pixels tall, 800 pixels wide. I can monkey with them later, but I hope we can ultimately replace them better stuff.

I looked at the LoL OT banner to figure out how wide o make them. Sorry! We'll try and make things better.

breakfuss

My last post and the ill move to the new thread, but wow...thanks for this incredible post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom