• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 Beta |OT| Garry's Mod

What's the best class?

Results are only viewable after voting.
XBox 1 Beta download here. Put in about 2.5 hours this afternoon with it and played everything at least once (PvP and strike was twice, the mission just once so far)

First of all, I do not like the new guns arrangement. I am guy whose loadout most of the time is Scout Rifle/Fusion Rifle/Rocket Launcher and this new arrangement just shuts me down. With D1, my guns FELT different to use, but this new system makes it feel very much like no matter what I pick, it is still kind of "meh" compared to D1. And since this is a beta, all the guns seem to be just "there" and nothing is really special right now.

I am very much NOT a PvP player, but I tried them both and they were the usual fare, but again the gun arrangement kind of detracts from the experience for me.

The cool downs have been discussed at length but yeah, it is pretty wretched right now.

In the PvP I played, I never got to use my super even once. That is also bad.

The single player was decent, but I would have liked the ability to play the mission ad nauseum without having to restart a character/menu walk. It would have been nice to have that option on the director menu with everything else. Again, BETA I know, but it just seems sloppy.

The new "Supers" for the Titan class (the one I played so far) do very little for me and I prefer the Destiny 1 Titan "Supers" over these new ones every time. Every time.

The thing that kills it for me right now is the fact that the people who have been playing for a few days now have pretty much torn through everything so the strike now is basically "keep up with the other guys and try to kill something before they wipe the floor with the weapons they got from the prior three days of play time". I would have loved to explore the level more, but people just are speedrunning the strike now and takes away the joy of exploration/discovery.

Keep in mind, I have been critical of Destiny for a while now - because I think at times Bungie is too busy being "clever" with its game rather than being consistent with it. And this is from a casual Destiny 1 player who has 500+ hours on 3 different platforms and yet still has not finished the last two raids because "meh, who cares now". That falls on the leads here, and that includes the folks who made up most of the design think tank for Destiny 1.

I think this BETA is not very good, and it does not sell me on a $60 game (TO START, unless you do not want to throw money at the screen for the "expansion pass"); especially since it looks like the "expansion pass" is setup to be just as bad as how the first one was. It feels like the "expansions" will wind up being as eventually irrelevant as how they would up being like they did with Destiny 1 and that was not fun to deal with the first time...

tl;dr - This beta is weak and lacks in some very important areas; it is NOT a good first impression of the overall game. If this is what Bungie calls "improvements" to an already suspect design methodology than I have to pass until it is like $20 or cheaper. There is nothing short of a Destiny 1 complete server shutdown that is making me want Destiny 2 at it is right now. It feels like an utter half ass cash grab.

Thats why its so good thooooo

Reks the cabal pretty good. Are there any decent primary scouts in the beta? Only thing im missing.

Scout and Handcannon are my favorite types of guns. Autos/pulses zzzzz

It just doesn't feel like an Exotic. Maybe it's the sound or the animation.

DieH@rd

Banned
Will my pc run this game at 60 fps 1440p?

i7 930 OC to 4ghz 12gb ram and a gtx970

If not I don't see the point in wasting my beta code on pc and just use it for ps4.

At 1440p? Depents how well the game is optimized, and how much visual settings will there be for turning off.

Finally got around to playing the beta..... I'm just so uninterested in this game. My cousin let me borrow vanilla Destiny the year it came out, I beat the crappy campaign and that was it. The DLC came to far after for me to care about. One of the biggest gripes I had with the first was the lack of a story and now even with a more in your face story, it still bores me.

It was a chore to get through that opening level. Maybe it's just not for me. I'll give the multiplayer a try maybe tomorrow before I pass judgement on this.

flkraven

The thing that kills it for me right now is the fact that the people who have been playing for a few days now have pretty much torn through everything so the strike now is basically "keep up with the other guys and try to kill something before they wipe the floor with the weapons they got from the prior three days of play time". I would have loved to explore the level more, but people just are speedrunning the strike now and takes away the joy of exploration/discovery.

This to me describes Destiny to a T for every strike I've played with randoms (and not). This IS Destiny aka get it done as quickly and efficiently as possible.

You have plenty of time to go off on your own (try to the right speciifically at the beginning of the strike) or stay behind before the game will force you to join the rest of the Fireteam if they rush ahead. I know that's not necessarily the way you want to do it but it's an option at least.

The End

Part of me wants to throw some shade at PC players: Bungie has been clear that they're going to be toning drift/recoil/aim assist WAY down in the pc version, and really feels like they've reduced all of these things quite a bit in the console build as well. The end result is that guns don't feel quite as visceral as they did in D1.

UV-6

I lapsed from Destiny 1 before the first DLC hit and this pretty much feels like Destiny 1.5. Pretty disappointed. I swear the controls are more sluggish this time around, too.

Glad I tried the beta. It's still not for me.

UI is cluttered with unnecessary information. I don't need to know the status of the other team 24/7 when I could just pull up the roster for a second in the first game, or callout to my teammates who had their super.

Beta is almost downloaded, what class would you guys recommend I take? I played Titan in Destiny 1 and while I liked the armor, the class wasn't all that interesting to me. Have they made it better for 2 or should I switch to Hunter or Warlock? Which would you guys say is the most unique to Destiny?

The End

Beta is almost downloaded, what class would you guys recommend I take? I played Titan in Destiny 1 and while I liked the armor, the class wasn't all that interesting to me. Have they made it better for 2 or should I switch to Hunter or Warlock? Which would you guys say is the most unique to Destiny?

Captain Titan is extremely OP right now. Flaming Sword Warlock is also tuns of fun.

RIP Hunters.

Unique? Most will say the Titan plays too slow in this iteration of Destiny 2 but it also has two completely different super options at one time (Captain America Shield and Defender Bubble) plus the addition of a Voidwall Grenade which wrecked in PvE in my experience.

Unique? Most will say the Titan plays too slow in this iteration of Destiny 2 but it also has two completely different super options at one time (Captain America Shield and Defender Bubble) plus the addition of a Voidwall Grenade which wrecked in PvE in my experience.

Oh I do like the sound of that, I guess I'll give Titan a go and then restart it if I'm not impressed.

Also, are they still drawing from Mary's Music of the Spheres or did they get a new composer?

Jblanks

This to me describes Destiny to a T for every strike I've played with randoms (and not). This IS Destiny aka get it done as quickly and efficiently as possible.

Well yea strikes are meant to be played in ~15 minutes; they're fairly linear in design so there's not a lot to even explore that's worthwhile. You can always find 2 people that you know and just run around and explore, but again most things worthwhile to explore will be in the patrol sections anyhow.

I'm also really baffled at some of the people who said they have replayed the D1 strikes 'hundreds of times' but felt this strike was repetitive after a couple.. This strike would probably be D1s best offering or at least top 3.

Pundere

Is there something I'm missing about the strike boss? Took several wipes and forever to kill it. When he turns the floor to lava in the second phase you need to fly up to avoid damage...but then you get blasted away and need to save jump juice so you don't die to fall damage.

It felt like it was Nightfall-tier difficult when it was just a normal strike.

Found a weapon I like. Nightshade. IMHO it's the best gun in the beta. This pulse rifle absolutely rips and tears.

ugOl11D.jpg

Is there something I'm missing about the strike boss? Took several wipes and forever to kill it. When he turns the floor to lava in the second phase you need to fly up to avoid damage...but then you get blasted away and need to save jump juice so you don't die to fall damage.

It felt like it was Nightfall-tier difficult when it was just a normal strike.

Not sure why you're getting blasted away unless standing in the "lava" is causing it. Tip: You can jump onto the cylinder shaped platforms that run along the outside of the circular arena and not have to worry about the lava.

Other than that, shoot his head and when it explodes a crit spot in his mid-section will open like on normal Vex enemies to finish him off. Stay mobile around the arena, use power weapons on groups/mobs of adds as they don't really do much damage to the boss unless using the sniper.

MidEvlDed

If you really want, you CAN actually just explore the Strike level at your leisure while the other two players move on ahead. I've finished the Strike about 10 times now and one of the times I stayed near the starting area and instead of going straight I went to the right and backwards a little and there's a whole area to explore there near the electric milk river or whatever it is.

There's a little battle going on over there. There's also a set of stairs that leads upwards at one point to what appears to be some kind of door. The game won't automatically catch you up to the others until they reach the boss room. I have also finished the strike with me and just one other player a couple times so I didn't feel too bad about exploring.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Seriously, what's the point in holding down the grenade button with void walkers and drain your super meter? I understand that it grows stronger but IT KEEPS DRAINING THE METER FAST AS FUCK EVEN WHILE THE GRENADE HAS REACHED IT'S PEAK DAMAGE.

It's like, come oooon dudes.

Found a weapon I like. Nightshade. IMHO it's the best gun in the beta. This pulse rifle absolutely rips and tears.

The Omolon pulse with full auto is better. To me it's the best ranged gun in the beta. Really surprised at how well it works. I usually run it and an SMG to cover distance and cqc and then fusion for those mid range times when I wanna wreck with power weapons. It's a pretty awesome experience so far.

Not sure why you're getting blasted away unless standing in the "lava" is causing it. Tip: You can jump onto the cylinder shaped platforms that run along the outside of the circular arena and not have to worry about the lava.

Other than that, shoot his head and when it explodes a crit spot in his mid-section will open like on normal Vex enemies to finish him off. Stay mobile around the arena, use power weapons on groups/mobs of adds as they don't really do much damage to the boss unless using the sniper.
Not all of the floor becomes covered in lava, just jump to the section that is okay and then jump again

Freeman76

What a great BETA. I love the changes, weapons will feel more valuable than before due to the reworked cooldowns etc, I think gear in general will be much more varied and have a greater overall affect on how we play. That can only make it more addictive in the long run. I hope Bungie dont pander to the complaints as I think they are onto a winner with these changes.

Not all of the floor becomes covered in lava, just jump to the section that is okay and then jump again

Yeah, I know but if you want to keep a safe distance from the boss it's easier to jump onto the cylinder shaped platforms as the lava never affects them, otherwise you're moving in and out (meaning from the outer edge to the center and vice versa) to avoid the lava, plus having to keep the boss and adds in mind.

I lapsed from Destiny 1 before the first DLC hit and this pretty much feels like Destiny 1.5. Pretty disappointed. I swear the controls are more sluggish this time around, too.

Same here, tried the beta today and played the SP portion. The controls felt very sluggish compared to D1 and I did not appreciate it in the MP either. Also 4vs4 WTF Bungie, in Destiny 3 will be playing 2vs2.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Played the opening mission and a round of control before work. Opening mission was bad and boring. Bullet sponges in a hallway. Story didnt seem too good either. PvP was better than Destiny 1 IMO. It still isnt something Id play for a long time though. Gonna try to Strike tonight.

Toa TAK

Banned
The game is still a looker. Played the opening mission and it was neat to see the Tower being destroyed and desecrated. Story-wise there wasn't much that was bringing me in beyond the destruction of The Tower. Hopefully it'll pick up but I'm not counting on much considering the last game.

Gotta check out the Strike after work tomorrow.

Gudji

It's the best weapon in the BETA, at least for PvP. The perk is insane. Pretty sure it's going to get nerfed before release.

The Nergal PR4 (omolon) is also really good, but the stats are a tiny bit weaker than the Nightshade. I use it for close combat since its full auto.

MrDaravon

Cool, with one exception every single PvP match I've gotten in either mode is a full team of clan tags with Nightshades or Nergals shitting on us and teabagging. Good old Destiny PvP.

WinFonda

i like the changes made to pvp, and the focus on standard weaponry / primary gun loadouts... the overall time to kill feels better than D1... less shit 1 shotting you from the jump

the supers feel more powerful so it makes sense they take longer to charge imo; it would be ridiculous to get multiples of these per match imo

the only issue is match length is too short, it could stand to be a bit longer

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I wasn't happy with the beta.

The new gun arrangement makes everything boring, the recharge timers make things boring and the smaller impact of abilities makes things boring.

I will not be picking this one up.

The new gun arrangement makes everything boring, the recharge timers make things boring and the smaller impact of abilities makes things boring.

Smaller impact of abilities? Melee and class abilities are both in a good place and are very helpful. Grenades are a bit limp when you consider current cooldowns.

With the exception of maybe Gunslinger, the Supers are very strong now.

Smaller impact of abilities? Melee and class abilities are both in a good place and are very helpful. Grenades are a bit limp when you consider current cooldowns.

With the exception of maybe Gunslinger, the Supers are very strong now.

Huh, I had two instances today in Countdown matches where I took out the entire opposing team in the final round with Golden Gun...felt fine to me PvP wise (whether the part of the subclass that is locked makes it better in PvE is TBD). I was thinking about supers overall earlier and felt they were kind of weak and I'm really wondering how they'll adapt/play-out mechanically to Raid encounters (outside of the Ward of Dawn they seem a bit ill-equipped). Of course this is without knowing if we're going to get our third subclass back sometime in our character progression which could change things somewhat especially if Nightstalker returns in a big way.

Lol. This was exactly my feeling as well. I was just shocked how booooring the beta was. I couldn't stop thinking "Why am I spending my time this way?"...

Van Bur3n

Finally got the play the beta. Got to say, it plays like Destiny. No surprise there, nothing wrong with it either. Not understanding the complaints about the shooting feeling off and the what not. Feels the same as usual.

In terms of the visuals, I can definitely see the improvements. Nothing entirely drastic, but you can definitely notice the better lighting and effects. Some of the armor looks quite good as well. Again, nothing major, but it looks good enough.

Can't say much about the missions considering there is like two, one heavily scripted at that, but that strike was awesome. Cool enemy encounters, nice bits of platforming, environmental hazards, and the stunning environments themselves. Boss fight was a bullet sponge as usual, but more interesting than what we've seen from the past at least.

As for what I don't like, I think I'm in agreement in regards to the powers and weapon slots. So much less variety in the combat between having less access to special weapons (that are now power weapons) and having to wait on your abilities to cooldown for the longest time. Too much having to use the primary weapons and it becomes a bit of a bore. Trying something new with the two primaries, fair enough, but it didn't work out. But the change to the power cooldowns? Why? They were perfectly fine in the first Destiny. Stop being 'No fun allowed' the developer, Bungie.

Another very minor annoyance is Bungie pushing for this competitive scene with this game. I don't want all of that crap at the top like its CSGO telling me which one of my teammates is dead and what class they're playing as. Hogs up too much of the screen. Put that in some future competitive game mode like Trials, sure. But in casual quickplay? Get it off. I have no issues with 4v4, but I hope that doesn't mean there is no classic 6v6 chaos.

Overall, meh. Nothing in the beta has really sold me on it. It feels like same old Destiny with only but a few improvements and some stupid design decisions (par for the course for Bungie, but its especially stupid this time around). I can see myself playing this game perhaps, but I'm certainly in no rush to get it. Will have to wait on impressions from the full game itself to see if Bungie has really brought something neat to the table.

Huh, I had two instances today in Countdown matches where I took out the entire opposing team in the final round with Golden Gun...felt fine to me PvP wise (whether the part of the subclass that is locked makes it better in PvE is TBD). I was thinking about supers overall earlier and felt they were kind of weak and I'm really wondering how they'll adapt/play-out mechanically to Raid encounters (outside of the Ward of Dawn they seem a bit ill-equipped). Of course this is without knowing if we're going to get our third subclass back sometime in our character progression which could change things somewhat especially if Nightstalker returns in a big way.

The Gunslinger path in the beta results in the Super draining way too quickly compared to the others. It's possible to get multikills with it but you're really relying on the enemy team to group up and not immediately run/dodge away from you - because you don't have time to chase.

It just doesn't feel like an Exotic. Maybe it's the sound or the animation.

I gotta disagree, the effects on the cylinder when you reload, it sounds almost like a shotgun when fired, it does burn d.o.t for a short time and defeated enemies explode when killed.
Feels pretty exotic to me, it looks fucking sweet too

Top Bottom