• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 Beta |OT| Garry's Mod

What's the best class?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Floody

There seems to be loads of viable weapon combinations in pvp I've had kill streaks with almost every config I've tried. Either it's super easy or super ballenced i can't decide.

Probably mostly due to you likely playing significantly worse players than you'll usually find still playing 1. Plus assist being counted as kills kinda pads everyone's stats and streaks. D1 I usually go even, and have double digit assist count, getting the occasion 3-4 kill streak going, in D2 that'd probably leave me with around a 2 K/D ratio and a handful of 3-4 killstreaks.

The hunter ability is pretty much useless.

It's useless for team support. But as an ability I think it's pretty good. There's some nice synergy with Arcstrider melee, and insta reload has scored me plenty of multikills and chases that I would have otherwise missed.

my PVP so far...

Play Control PVP...Get grouped up with people who'd rather go around by themselves instead of stay together as a unit...lose to a team who basically stays together as a 4 person unit the whole time

Play Control PVP...Get grouped up with people who'd rather go around by themselves instead of stay together as a unit...lose to a team who basically stays together as a 4 person unit the whole time

etc...etc...etc

I actually like playing PVP in this Beta because at least I'm not as bad as I usually am in shooters if there's someone around me to watch my back but I just get people who want to do nothing but just go Rambo everything solo. The few times in a match the people in my group stay together we do alright but then it just goes back to nobody around. Hell, I had one time where I was getting shot and died right beside a teammate who was just waiting for the Power ammo to spawn instead of actually trying to help me.

Cake Boss

Banned
This game is turning to Overwatch for me where it's barely playable with randoms, your lucky to get 1 win out of 10 playing with randoms. So fucking ridiculous.

Miggy

I just finished the story and I haven't used the sniper once.
Switch weapons is the triangle button, but with which button do I use my sniper rifle?

Floody

my PVP so far...

etc...etc...etc

I actually like playing PVP in this Beta because at least I'm not as bad as I usually am in shooters if there's someone around me to watch my back but I just get people who want to do nothing but just go Rambo everything solo. The few times in a match the people in my group stay together we do alright but then it just goes back to nobody around. Hell, I had one time where I was getting shot and died right beside a teammate who was just waiting for the Power ammo to spawn instead of actually trying to help me.

Tried Countdown? Been playing in a 2 and outside a few people leaving mid game (which can really fuck you over), the randoms have usually been good. Though will occasionally get over confident and go into Rambo mode when we have a player advantage (but I've done it a couple times too).

Foxxsoxx

my PVP so far...

etc...etc...etc

Yeah pretty much. Also when 4 people cap A or C when not a single enemy is around makes me cry. People don't realize you just need 1 and the others should be at or near B.

This has evolved into Teamshot: The Game.
Also noticing a problem of being the first one to go in usually gets you killed while the other guys coming in second clean up.

Hell, I had one time where I was getting shot and died right beside a teammate who was just waiting for the Power ammo to spawn instead of actually trying to help me.

Of all the changes this one I think is the funniest, because you can totally see how in a premade team having power ammo spawn only for the person who loots it makes sense, you get your team to split up a little but not too much and only 1 or 2 people will get the ammo.

But with a full group of soloers, none of whom are on comms with each other, the entire system encourages you to go camp power ammo to ensure you get a single kill at least. Its going to be 10x worse when the daily and weekly bounties and quests are put in, like "get 10 kills with a sniper rifle" means NO ONE is going to give a shit about the objective and will just camp power ammo.

It is really bizarre, the entire PVP system seems redesigned from the ground up to be more like Overwatch and feels very little like Destiny 1. I wonder what Bungie would do if a month after beta, more people are playing Destiny 1 PVP than destiny 2. I don't expect that to happen, but I frankly enjoy solo casual queuing up D1 way more than the beta D2, for PVP.

Ramirez

Of all the changes this one I think is the funniest, because you can totally see how in a premade team having power ammo spawn only for the person who loots it makes sense, you get your team to split up a little but not too much and only 1 or 2 people will get the ammo.

But with a full group of soloers, none of whom are on comms with each other, the entire system encourages you to go camp power ammo to ensure you get a single kill at least. Its going to be 10x worse when the daily and weekly bounties and quests are put in, like "get 10 kills with a sniper rifle" means NO ONE is going to give a shit about the objective and will just camp power ammo.

It is really bizarre, the entire PVP system seems redesigned from the ground up to be more like Overwatch and feels very little like Destiny 1. I wonder what Bungie would do if a month after beta, more people are playing Destiny 1 PVP than destiny 2. I don't expect that to happen, but I frankly enjoy solo casual queuing up D1 way more than the beta D2, for PVP.

This game shares nothing in common with Overwatch...wut?

Really doubt the bounty system is the same as D1 as well.

Just beat the missions and strike. I have to say, from the way the missions played out. I am very happy with it, it seems to have fixed issues that i had with vanilla Destiny (The Taken King made me happier with destiny)

still have to see how everything works in the community area though.

I think this solidified my pre-order if i can save up some money. Or I'll get it when the xbox one x comes out.

Cake Boss

Banned
What's with these new shooters not showing you how many times you died and even trying to confuse you when trying to show you your kills, by naming it something else?

Hoje0308

Banned
Anyone have trouble with download errors? I got mine downloaded just fine but a buddy of mine is having issues and I'd like to be able to play with him this weekend.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
People saying it just "doesn't feel good"...

What does that mean? I just ran the strike a few times and did some PvP. It feels and plays like the Destiny I remember.

eshwaaz

Enjoyed the campaign mission well enough, but I'm disappointed to see Bungie stubbornly cling to its long standing tradition of not having audio sliders. It's not reasonable to think that one sound mix will be balanced for all sound systems and setups, but they continue to do it anyway. The weapon sounds are way too quiet and the ambient sounds too loud and I can do nothing about it.

Jist finished the story mission with all three classes - random thoughts:

Hunter and Titan are slower movement speed wise than the Warlock. It's hard to put into words, but they feel sluggish. Only the Warlock still has some semblance of movement from Destiny 1. This needs to be changed. Hunters should be the quickest, Titans the slowest, and Warlocks in the middle. Tradeoffs in the final build are a must.

Supers charge too slowly. I know I'm not alone in this. Even with constant headshots the recharge time is too slow.

Gunplay feels about the same, again it's the movement that feels off to me.

Back to Supers, I enjoyed the Warlock and Hunter abilities the most, the Titan Sentinel in particular is not what I was expecting. Probably will main a Hunter as in Destiny 1.

Overall positive, if they can fix issues in the final release.

Side note, I do not give two shits about PvP and if PvE suffers to balance the crucible then fuck MP.

Inarticulate ramblings end.

EL CUCO

Man this game is not fun. I'd rather play Destiny 1 in both PVE and PVP... cant wait to see what changes they make. Wish they would revert that stupid 2 primary loadout.

Kalentan

People saying it just "doesn't feel good"...

What does that mean? I just ran the strike a few times and did some PvP. It feels and plays like the Destiny I remember.

Agreed.

I haven't played Destiny in months but stepping into the beta had me not skipping a beat. Feels like I picked up where I left off.

T-0800

Wow so much hate for the game here. So much hate.

I really like the changes to MP and I've enjoyed what we can play of the PvE. The only thing I wish they would change is how the ships move in orbit. They move like they are made of paper.

void666

Banned
It's useless for team support. But as an ability I think it's pretty good. There's some nice synergy with Arcstrider melee, and insta reload has scored me plenty of multikills and chases that I would have otherwise missed.

Maybe i just need to get good. Usually when i dodge i'm already dead.

Kalentan

How do I use the shield wall? I don't know how to select it.

If you're on PS4 you press O. I imagine on XBO it's pressing B.

Edit:

Surprised so many are hating on the PvP now.

Crucible was ASS in Destiny 1. It was clear Bungie had no idea how to make PvP work for Destiny at the time.

Destiny 2's PvP actually feels like they put effort into it.

jviggy43

Alright so after spending the better half of today with the Beta figured I'd share my thoughts on it. Spent about 500 hours on D1 between a titan and a hunter as a PVE player almost exclusively. I played PvP when i exhausted my leveling options and dabbled a bit in Trials which I felt was the best aspect of PvP in D1 but never got into it competitively or seriously just because I felt that in general the PvP was never balanced and kind of a cluster fuck (a fun cluster fuck at that but not something I could have seen really playing a lot).

I started with a titan (because best class duh) and was immediately turned off with the silent protagonist approach. Having your ghost speak to you 4 times and to just have your character turn their head towards him and then back to the front of the ship was jarring and immersion breaking for me. Really hoping this isn't representative of the full game because its so damn awkward in a game like destiny to not have a character who speaks; especially so because they spoke in the last game.

The mission itself I thought was pretty good. Graphics look good, the NPC characters interacting and performing their specials in bad ass fashion was a really nice and welcome addition to the game and really want to see more of this. It falls into the traditional destiny mission trope of go here, defend area, go there, kill enemies, rinse and repeat but in the context of the story (god that helps this mission out so much) it works well enough (I really really hope the structure of mission's have been improved in the sequel from the first). On a random side note, the rain in this mission looks bad, Like comically bad. It looks cartoonish, like someone took a white marker and just drew rain

56caa10b-667c-43f6-b795-71681717d2bf.PNG

It was weird and out of place in a level that otherwise looked pretty damn good and a step up from destiny 1.

A lot of people have commented on their disdain for the feel of the game and the weapons. On my first playthrough as a titan, I didn't notice it to be honest. Everything felt similar with maybe a bit less auto aim (and in my opinion thats a good thing). When I replayed with the warlock however I started to pick up a bit more on what people were saying. Guns feel very weak, headshots don't give that great feedback, and the warlock and titan felt heavy (but this can be changed by playing around with your stats btw). Separating the special weapons into heavy weapons feels like a really odd choice. It works for PvP (more on that later) but in PvE, its miserable to have a pee shooting autorifle switch to a pee shooting scout rifle where a shotgun or sniper would just help vary encounters up so much more and give you more capability of killing quickly (and as they said this is an old build so I guess we'll see how it goes).

Really I don't have a huge issue with the way the game feels but I also wouldn't argue with those who found it to be different either. I also want to comment on some of the weapon types. SMG's are trash. Straight up useless. I tried using them in both PvP and PvE and there really isn't any reason to pick the SMG class over auto rifles. Theyre just waaaaay too weak with a small clip so I'm not really sure what the utility is there. For PvP, I guess they didn't want to get into a situation like the shotgun where everyone was running in with a close quarters weapon and mowing people down in .5 seconds but this class needs some tuning (or maybe it already got some tuning since, old build). Exotics are also laughably inferior to what they were in D1, or at least the ones we got to use in the beta were. The Titan gatling gun looked cool and is useful enough but really feels like an auto rifle with a bigger clip that gets a faster firing rate rather than something that has a very unique function. The warlock SMG exotic, in the trash you go. This again likely comes down to them trying to fine tune balancing but I'm really hoping this isn't what all exotics are going to be like. In D1 they felt incredibly unique and going into end game content your build was essentially dictated around what exotic weapon you chose to use. Here they seem to be easily swapped in and out of place with legendaries with no real issue. Also is it me or do the rocket launcher, grenade launcher weapons in the beta feel pretty damn weak? The one rocket launcher I got Morrigan-D, was awful. Small blast radius (even with tuning the blast radius to be higher), ultra slow fire (I killed myself the first time because I jumped in the air to launch a shot and it didn't launch until about half a second after I pressed the button, at which time I had slowly fell in front of a rock and blew myself up). I'm wondering if power weapons of these types will be neutered to accommodate the fact that they occupy a slot with shotguns, snipers, and fusions. Really that would be the most Bungie "if something needs balancing nerf it" solution ever.

One decision that I think is fucking fantastic, is the class ability such as the cover wall for titans and the healing/weapons of light aura for warlocks. I totally wanted to see more varied play styles between the classes and while a lot of that has been homogenized in terms of subclasses these abilities work really well to distinguish the classes and give variety to encounters. I was so pleasently surprised when I crouched behind my titan wall and realized that when holding down left trigger it auto pulls you over the cover and simply letting go puts you back. PLUS it reloads your current weapon (So cool). THe warlock ability on the other hand is also fantastic. Healing or weapon buffs are fantastic support abilities that I always wanted to see make their way into Destiny. GG Bungie on that end, I really hope they give us more in the expansions.

Supers are also pretty amazing, especially the new sentinel ability. Like god damn do I love the fact you can alter between a bubble or cap shield within the same subclass, with sentinel being so bad ass to pull out. Shielding yourself to protect from fire and jumping out to one hit kill feels so good. It took me a bit to figure out shield throw, like even now I know its right bumper but for whatever reason it felt like it wouldn't come out all the time when I first started using it. But anyway, how bad ass is this: http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/ThnkUdiane/video/34300280

It even blocked the titan shoulder charge! The warlock super is just a glorified Titanhammer mode which is fine but I would have liked to see something a bit more newish like sentinel (and while I haven't played the class yet, same goes for Hunters). Outside of functionality, the means to get supers as has been discussed is, tedious. Ive played games in Control where Ive gotten a perfection and failed to get a super even once. I'll discuss the implications for this when I get to PvP but for PvE, this and your abilities such as grenades and melee need to be a bit more frequent in the game; especially so given the weapon loadout system. Especially, especially so for hunters who as of now ostensibly got the shaft when it comes to abilities and supers.

The strike was a destiny strike through and through. Ive seen people calling it a mini raid both in terms of mission structure and in terms of boss encounter. Maybe if youve never played through an entire raid in this game sure. I also saw some people say this was a long strike. I beat it with 2 people in about 17 minutes which is about on par for most strikes on the first run. Now thats not to say its bad, not at all. But lets pump the breaks onf trying to make this out to be anything more than what it is. The addition of environmental obstacles is so welcome, both here and in the first mission. I lovedd the drills circling around the tunnels while youre ducking in and out of crevices while fighting cabal. Just a really cool idea and offered something that D1 was sorely missing. The boss encounter was a non raid boss encounter in destiny, which is to say, disappointing, The dropping to each subsequent level was nice and the fact that the boss changed weapons and used the floor to attack you (Seriously I was so lost the first time the floor became lava as to what could be hurting me considering I was in a titan bubble yet was still taking damage) was cool. But again hes a giant sized version of a regular enemy who has way too much health, made worse by the fact that the weapon slot system forces you to chip at him with primary weapons that do too little damage. I'd rank it with the better of strikes in D1 but I wouldn't say it radically altered the structure of them to the point of ranking it higher. Maybe if the boss design was actually interesting. Actually, I know I'd go crazy for this had the boss been pretty much anything other than "giant sized bullet sponge". I am desperately hoping this trend is not consistent through the sequel, especially so because we KNOW they can design fun boss encounters if the raid is anything to go off of. It doesn't have to be the extreme of raid puzzle boss or brainless bullet sponge-meet somewhere in the middle.

I think those are most of my thoughts on the PvE portion of the beta? Maybe I'll add more later but for now thats where that is.

PvP on the other hand: I love it. As I mentioned, I was never really a PvP guy in D1 and had no intention of being so for the sequel but I really like the 4v4 control mode. I like that the chaotic randomness is toned down and we now have more emphasis on teamwork and making your shots while not overly relying on grenades and supers to get that done. Now I know a lot of people are disappointed with this and I will say that I really hope they add a traditional 6v6 mode for PvP vets who aren't taking to this change, In fact, this seems like it should have been the logical thing to do really- emphasize the new 4v4 as the game's standard mode while also releasing with a traditional 6v6 mode as well. Its a win win in my eyes but its clear that that scenario is unlikely to happen given the map sizes and emphasis on 4v4.

Either way for something that I never intended to get into I'm finding myself playing non stop and really enjoying the changes here. It should be 60fps and it should have dedicated servers, especially so since this newfound emphasis is clearly the catalyst to the current game design which overhauled so much for the sake of PvP. The other mode (seek and destroy) is alright. I might love it but its very teammate dependent and good god with no match making (another area that I'm not sure if the game will ship with, does someone know this?) my teams have been straight up useless. I'll come back to this when I manage to get my raid team to try PvP out and see how it works when were cooperating.

All in all, as someone who is forever going to be the destiny cynic despite how much I enjoy the franchise, the beta got me pretty excited to jump back in. I don't really think the criticism being levied at this game is unfair; in fact I find most people's complaints are totally valid in terms of the game lacking innovation or uniqueness, tweaked gameplay and guns, poor design decisions such keeping PvE and PvP balanced together, etc. I myself would have liked to see a number of new additions and areas of focus be taken up rather than emphasis on story and pvp (My two biggest hopes were for mission structure changes and boss encounters to be interesting). But despite all of that I actually am loving my time with the beta and its totally won me over even knowing that at the end of the day were getting more of a refined destiny experience rather than a gargantuan sequel.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I have to say that I really appreciated the strike boss second phase. The simple ground fire attack is an amazing little "raid awareness" mechanic that will definitely help new players understand the idea of mechanically involved fights.

Also, people discussing the balance and viability of weapon types and rarities....It's a beta with very limited itemization. Of course we aren't going to see the most unique exotics. And even then, what we DO see isn't even being used to its full potential. The perks and upgrades will (hopefully) have their places when we have a slew of content to mess with them in.

I have to say that I really appreciated the strike boss second phase. The simple ground fire attack is an amazing little "raid awareness" mechanic that will definitely help new players understand the idea of mechanically involved fights.

3rd Phase (4th Phase technically?) also has adds that drop puddles of milky pain as well, which is also a raid primer. The only thing missing was needing to cleanse a debuff/DoT.

I played the story and honestly, it just felt like another run of the mill, mindless whack-a-mole fps to me. Its sad to say this but fps games have not evolved at all. If anything, they've regressed significantly.

jviggy43

Oh god. Please stop.
I played the story and honestly, it just felt like another run of the mill, mindless whack-a-mole fps to me. Its sad to say this but fps games have not evolved at all. If anything, they've regressed significantly.

I'm trying to think of FPS games Ive played where the story is better than "ok". Bioshock, Half-life, tf2, and.....? I'm blanking.

gogosox82

Well I played a little bit of the beta I feel its kinda "meh" so far. I mean, the story mission was cool and all but because your character is silent, it think it made the weight of what was happening mean a lot less. If your character could talk then maybe it would mean a lot more when you get fucked up at the end because you could actually react instead of just standing there doing nothing while this dude kicks you off the ledge.

Strike was fun but it felt like any other strike from Destiny. But it was fun.

One thing that was bothering me was it seems like it takes forever for your abilities to come back up. I haven't played Destiny 1 in a while but it seems like you got your abilities back a lot quicker in Destiny 1 than in the beta. Hopefully that is tweaked before launch.

Story wise, they seem to be totally dropping that story from The taken King? Why? I thought it was really good and it certainly wasn't done but it seems like its being dropped for fighting the Kabal? I don't get it unless this will lead into back into the Taken King storyline which I thought was interesting.

MechDX

Everyone complaining about ability recharge rate: were you a Destiny 1 player? You are just used to a higher level loadout that would charge your ability faster. Beta characters are 200 but i dont think you have anykind of charge faster perks

Trakan

Man this game is not fun. I'd rather play Destiny 1 in both PVE and PVP... cant wait to see what changes they make. Wish they would revert that stupid 2 primary loadout.

What I don't get is how certain things from D1 either didn't return or returned way worse. Like if you want to bring back Voidwalker, I want to play a better version of the Voidwalker from D1. I don't want a step backwards. The vampire PVE build was one of the funnest to play and now it's neutered. Striker is another one. Why is there like no lunge on the fist of havoc? Why is the radius so much smaller?

Returning mechanics/gameplay should feel better in the sequel, not worse.

Shambala

Yea pvp is trash just as destiny one. But I'll get it for pve.. it's just the same shit though. Bulletsponge bosses like that strike had me really bored. It's like man I did all this for countless hours and should I buy this again to do the same with re skinned enemies😑

As someone who never played Destiny and only heard the years of negative backlash, I'm pretty damn impressed with the intro mission. It was intense as hell and the graphics are insane even on XB1. I went from a 0 to an 8 on the interest scale pretty quick. I have no interest in the PVP so that doesn't concern me.

Top Bottom