• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 Beta |OT| Garry's Mod

What's the best class?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Frenden

Banned
Everyone complaining about ability recharge rate: were you a Destiny 1 player? You are just used to a higher level loadout that would charge your ability faster. Beta characters are 200 but i dont think you have anykind of charge faster perks

Armor affects your Agility, Armor, and Recovery now, not your ability cool downs. There is room for exotics to change cooldown periods, sure, but that would be entirely speculative.

As it stands, there is no known way to wear gear to reduce cooldowns on abilities.

daedalius

Armor affects your Agility, Armor, and Recovery now, not your ability cool downs. There is room for exotics to change cooldown periods, sure, but that would be entirely speculative.

As it stands, there is no known way to wear gear to reduce cooldowns on abilities.

There are screenshots already showing ability and super cool downs on armor.

MechDX

There are screenshots already showing ability and super cool downs on armor.

But there isn't any in the Beta. I think Destiny 1 players are just "used to" fast recharge from their leveled up characters in D1

IISANDERII

I must've played the strike in Destiny 1's alpha/beta 30 times.
I played this Destiny 2 strike and was bored before it was over.

daedalius

But there isn't any in the Beta. I think Destiny 1 players are just "used to" fast recharge from their leveled up characters in D1

Oh I know, the recharge rates in the beta are terrible. I just wanted to tell him that there is indeed armor that improves it.

gatti-man

Too much running and dead time agreed. Enemy density is pretty lacking until the end. If the game had better movement it would help with this.

Seriously why dafuq did only warlocks get that cool charge your gernade with super energy ability.Oh and to add insult to injury they got to keep blink and got the TG airdodge plus two health restoring perks.

Hunter felt so weak compared to sentinals and locks and knowing Bungie this is close to final build.When I found out about the no sniper/rocket/sword combo I was shocked then worried PvE would turn into bullet sponge enemies and bosses.After I was done trying the demo to my sadness it does feel like we are using pea shooters which just drag out the encounters.Why couldnt they just use different loadouts for Pvp and PvE that is a great middle ground that doesnt cater or punish either side.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Not feeling scout rife as an energy wep. Also Hunter dodge is weak sauce which sucks cause I was a Hunter in D1.

Loved the art. Sound design IMO was great. I know some complaints were made about the OST, but it sounds great to me. You can also tell they redid the engine since 512 RAM is out the window in terms of texture variety.

I also think the new UI look is super slick.

Control map and the bomb map didn't really lend me to many any judgement on moving snipe to heavy, but I'm gonna assume it's a win.

Biggest issue is it felt like every that wasn't primary does weak damage including nades and melee.

Strike run showed less issues with the way the beta is handled than PvP. In PvP you can really tell you haven't been playing and leveling up with attributes and the like effecting everything.

The good thing is other than the Hunter ability being garabage most issues are purely values. Like in terms of CD or DMG. That shouldn't be too hard to address vs core design it gsmeplay flaws.

Freeman76

Sounds like burn out, you probably played D1 loads and D2 isnt different enough. I cant see a problem with any of this beta, its more of the same but refined.

Maybe you should wait it out a few months before buying it cheap down the road.

man

i wasn't a huge fan of d1's pvp but this is somehow worse what on earth

whose grand idea was it to make the kill times so high

did they forget when they made halo it didn't have ads or an over reliance on auto weapons and placed more of an emphasis on placing individual shots and strafing which destiny doesn't

Freeman76

I'd agree if the guns were actually fun to use. They all feel like pea shooters.

I think they are better and I really hope Bungue dont change them back to how they were. To me the gunplay is more tight and refined even than D1, and the weapons being a bit weaker means you are more reliant on hitting the weakspot. Overall I think they nailed it.

Freeman76

Bungie already announced on their weekly update that guns in PVE would be getting a buff.

Well thats shit. As usual the devs pander to the whiners. Nobody likes change, and has to complain, next thing we will have a boatload of complaints that gunplay hasnt changed since D1.

E-flux

Thankfully i got a little free time this weekend and was able to come home to try out destiny 2, i really liked the hunter dodge that instantly reloaded your weapon and the staff was a lot more satisfying to use than the arc blades.

I also liked that Warlocks can now buff allies, haven't tried out the strike yet, need to wait till my buddy wakes up but so far it feels like destiny with more substance. At least when it comes to the story missions.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Alright so after spending the better half of today with the Beta figured I'd share my thoughts on it. Spent about 500 hours on D1 between a titan and a hunter as a PVE player almost exclusively. I played PvP when i exhausted my leveling options and dabbled a bit in Trials which I felt was the best aspect of PvP in D1 but never got into it competitively or seriously just because I felt that in general the PvP was never balanced and kind of a cluster fuck (a fun cluster fuck at that but not something I could have seen really playing a lot).

I started with a titan (because best class duh) and was immediately turned off with the silent protagonist approach. Having your ghost speak to you 4 times and to just have your character turn their head towards him and then back to the front of the ship was jarring and immersion breaking for me. Really hoping this isn't representative of the full game because its so damn awkward in a game like destiny to not have a character who speaks; especially so because they spoke in the last game.

The mission itself I thought was pretty good. Graphics look good, the NPC characters interacting and performing their specials in bad ass fashion was a really nice and welcome addition to the game and really want to see more of this. It falls into the traditional destiny mission trope of go here, defend area, go there, kill enemies, rinse and repeat but in the context of the story (god that helps this mission out so much) it works well enough (I really really hope the structure of mission's have been improved in the sequel from the first). On a random side note, the rain in this mission looks bad, Like comically bad. It looks cartoonish, like someone took a white marker and just drew rain

56caa10b-667c-43f6-b795-71681717d2bf.PNG

It was weird and out of place in a level that otherwise looked pretty damn good and a step up from destiny 1.

A lot of people have commented on their disdain for the feel of the game and the weapons. On my first playthrough as a titan, I didn't notice it to be honest. Everything felt similar with maybe a bit less auto aim (and in my opinion thats a good thing). When I replayed with the warlock however I started to pick up a bit more on what people were saying. Guns feel very weak, headshots don't give that great feedback, and the warlock and titan felt heavy (but this can be changed by playing around with your stats btw). Separating the special weapons into heavy weapons feels like a really odd choice. It works for PvP (more on that later) but in PvE, its miserable to have a pee shooting autorifle switch to a pee shooting scout rifle where a shotgun or sniper would just help vary encounters up so much more and give you more capability of killing quickly (and as they said this is an old build so I guess we'll see how it goes).

Really I don't have a huge issue with the way the game feels but I also wouldn't argue with those who found it to be different either. I also want to comment on some of the weapon types. SMG's are trash. Straight up useless. I tried using them in both PvP and PvE and there really isn't any reason to pick the SMG class over auto rifles. Theyre just waaaaay too weak with a small clip so I'm not really sure what the utility is there. For PvP, I guess they didn't want to get into a situation like the shotgun where everyone was running in with a close quarters weapon and mowing people down in .5 seconds but this class needs some tuning (or maybe it already got some tuning since, old build). Exotics are also laughably inferior to what they were in D1, or at least the ones we got to use in the beta were. The Titan gatling gun looked cool and is useful enough but really feels like an auto rifle with a bigger clip that gets a faster firing rate rather than something that has a very unique function. The warlock SMG exotic, in the trash you go. This again likely comes down to them trying to fine tune balancing but I'm really hoping this isn't what all exotics are going to be like. In D1 they felt incredibly unique and going into end game content your build was essentially dictated around what exotic weapon you chose to use. Here they seem to be easily swapped in and out of place with legendaries with no real issue. Also is it me or do the rocket launcher, grenade launcher weapons in the beta feel pretty damn weak? The one rocket launcher I got Morrigan-D, was awful. Small blast radius (even with tuning the blast radius to be higher), ultra slow fire (I killed myself the first time because I jumped in the air to launch a shot and it didn't launch until about half a second after I pressed the button, at which time I had slowly fell in front of a rock and blew myself up). I'm wondering if power weapons of these types will be neutered to accommodate the fact that they occupy a slot with shotguns, snipers, and fusions. Really that would be the most Bungie "if something needs balancing nerf it" solution ever.

One decision that I think is fucking fantastic, is the class ability such as the cover wall for titans and the healing/weapons of light aura for warlocks. I totally wanted to see more varied play styles between the classes and while a lot of that has been homogenized in terms of subclasses these abilities work really well to distinguish the classes and give variety to encounters. I was so pleasently surprised when I crouched behind my titan wall and realized that when holding down left trigger it auto pulls you over the cover and simply letting go puts you back. PLUS it reloads your current weapon (So cool). THe warlock ability on the other hand is also fantastic. Healing or weapon buffs are fantastic support abilities that I always wanted to see make their way into Destiny. GG Bungie on that end, I really hope they give us more in the expansions.

Supers are also pretty amazing, especially the new sentinel ability. Like god damn do I love the fact you can alter between a bubble or cap shield within the same subclass, with sentinel being so bad ass to pull out. Shielding yourself to protect from fire and jumping out to one hit kill feels so good. It took me a bit to figure out shield throw, like even now I know its right bumper but for whatever reason it felt like it wouldn't come out all the time when I first started using it. But anyway, how bad ass is this: http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/ThnkUdiane/video/34300280

It even blocked the titan shoulder charge! The warlock super is just a glorified Titanhammer mode which is fine but I would have liked to see something a bit more newish like sentinel (and while I haven't played the class yet, same goes for Hunters). Outside of functionality, the means to get supers as has been discussed is, tedious. Ive played games in Control where Ive gotten a perfection and failed to get a super even once. I'll discuss the implications for this when I get to PvP but for PvE, this and your abilities such as grenades and melee need to be a bit more frequent in the game; especially so given the weapon loadout system. Especially, especially so for hunters who as of now ostensibly got the shaft when it comes to abilities and supers.

The strike was a destiny strike through and through. Ive seen people calling it a mini raid both in terms of mission structure and in terms of boss encounter. Maybe if youve never played through an entire raid in this game sure. I also saw some people say this was a long strike. I beat it with 2 people in about 17 minutes which is about on par for most strikes on the first run. Now thats not to say its bad, not at all. But lets pump the breaks onf trying to make this out to be anything more than what it is. The addition of environmental obstacles is so welcome, both here and in the first mission. I lovedd the drills circling around the tunnels while youre ducking in and out of crevices while fighting cabal. Just a really cool idea and offered something that D1 was sorely missing. The boss encounter was a non raid boss encounter in destiny, which is to say, disappointing, The dropping to each subsequent level was nice and the fact that the boss changed weapons and used the floor to attack you (Seriously I was so lost the first time the floor became lava as to what could be hurting me considering I was in a titan bubble yet was still taking damage) was cool. But again hes a giant sized version of a regular enemy who has way too much health, made worse by the fact that the weapon slot system forces you to chip at him with primary weapons that do too little damage. I'd rank it with the better of strikes in D1 but I wouldn't say it radically altered the structure of them to the point of ranking it higher. Maybe if the boss design was actually interesting. Actually, I know I'd go crazy for this had the boss been pretty much anything other than "giant sized bullet sponge". I am desperately hoping this trend is not consistent through the sequel, especially so because we KNOW they can design fun boss encounters if the raid is anything to go off of. It doesn't have to be the extreme of raid puzzle boss or brainless bullet sponge-meet somewhere in the middle.

I think those are most of my thoughts on the PvE portion of the beta? Maybe I'll add more later but for now thats where that is.

PvP on the other hand: I love it. As I mentioned, I was never really a PvP guy in D1 and had no intention of being so for the sequel but I really like the 4v4 control mode. I like that the chaotic randomness is toned down and we now have more emphasis on teamwork and making your shots while not overly relying on grenades and supers to get that done. Now I know a lot of people are disappointed with this and I will say that I really hope they add a traditional 6v6 mode for PvP vets who aren't taking to this change, In fact, this seems like it should have been the logical thing to do really- emphasize the new 4v4 as the game's standard mode while also releasing with a traditional 6v6 mode as well. Its a win win in my eyes but its clear that that scenario is unlikely to happen given the map sizes and emphasis on 4v4.

Either way for something that I never intended to get into I'm finding myself playing non stop and really enjoying the changes here. It should be 60fps and it should have dedicated servers, especially so since this newfound emphasis is clearly the catalyst to the current game design which overhauled so much for the sake of PvP. The other mode (seek and destroy) is alright. I might love it but its very teammate dependent and good god with no match making (another area that I'm not sure if the game will ship with, does someone know this?) my teams have been straight up useless. I'll come back to this when I manage to get my raid team to try PvP out and see how it works when were cooperating.

All in all, as someone who is forever going to be the destiny cynic despite how much I enjoy the franchise, the beta got me pretty excited to jump back in. I don't really think the criticism being levied at this game is unfair; in fact I find most people's complaints are totally valid in terms of the game lacking innovation or uniqueness, tweaked gameplay and guns, poor design decisions such keeping PvE and PvP balanced together, etc. I myself would have liked to see a number of new additions and areas of focus be taken up rather than emphasis on story and pvp (My two biggest hopes were for mission structure changes and boss encounters to be interesting). But despite all of that I actually am loving my time with the beta and its totally won me over even knowing that at the end of the day were getting more of a refined destiny experience rather than a gargantuan sequel.
On phone so can't edit out the post, but that part about the rain... look up. Yes. That's not rain. That's water from sprinklers, which is why it looks "bad". It's not dripping at the speed of rain.

Kyoufu

I think they are better and I really hope Bungue dont change them back to how they were. To me the gunplay is more tight and refined even than D1, and the weapons being a bit weaker means you are more reliant on hitting the weakspot. Overall I think they nailed it.

Yeah but the game still needs fun weapons. Luke Smith and the rest of the team took out all the fun from weaponry in The Taken King so I hope they aren't repeating that in the full game. Gunplay can only go so far if the weapons don't feel fun to use.

Tei

Neo Member
A group of game designers in a room.

A evil dark figure talks.

"And the players will get super only once in the game, near the end, when is pointless. And when they get the super, they will not move much faster, so other character can simply outrun him."

"But maybe he will still find other players" -- ask a evil figure

"We will reduce the number of players to 4"

* evil laugh *

"We made this space game, with space magic, and it was a error, people want Call of Duty, so if we change our game to call of duty, we will get has much players has call of duty"

* evil silence *

"OOoooh... thats simply.... genius!".

This franchise just doesn't really click for me. Destiny 1 beta didn't do much for me, and this one doesn't either. The game plays great, but the combat is dull with generic and repetitive bullet sponge enemies. I find navigating the menu, and equipping gear, to be just as exhilarating as the actual gameplay, lol.

I beat the mission and beat the strike. It's a fine game, but it just doesn't click for me. Oh well.

Ramirez

I've played like 4 hours of PVP every night and have yet to grow bored. They have a winner on their hands, I really hope they don't buckle to people complaining.

Ammogeddon

This franchise just doesn't really click for me. Destiny 1 beta didn't do much for me, and this one doesn't either. The game plays great, but the combat is dull with generic and repetitive bullet sponge enemies. I find navigating the menu, and equipping gear, to be just as exhilarating as the actual gameplay, lol.

I beat the mission and beat the strike. It's a fine game, but it just doesn't click for me. Oh well.

Same here.

The story campaign looks much improved if the opening part of the beta is anything to go by. Would've been nice to have a look at the social space or explore an area. Tried a strike and a crucible match and didn't take to it. It's just not a game/franchise that I connect with.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Will my pc run this game at 60 fps 1440p?

i7 930 OC to 4ghz 12gb ram and a gtx970

If not I don't see the point in wasting my beta code on pc and just use it for ps4.

The insight you're after won't be available until the PC beta is underway and people are posting their experiences in either here or the PC performance thread. The console betas moved from closed to open a little under two-and-a-half hours prior to your post, however, so you might as well use your code for the PC beta if haven't inadvertently wasted it. Considering the Blizzard client was updated just a few days ago to sport a larger game library list, I imagine the switch will be flicked sooner rather than later (i.e. early to mid-August).

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
Up Super recharge from achieving in game, keep the trickle so that over achievers with 20+ kills or 8 captures or so get a second clutch Super near the end.

As it is, the reward isn't their if your a wrecking ball during a match.

Also up Melee damage so 2 hit kills, and I'll be happy as.

"And the players will get super only once in the game, near the end, when is pointless. And when they get the super, they will not move much faster, so other character can simply outrun him."

* evil laugh *

"We made this space game, with space magic, and it was a error, people want Call of Duty, so if we change our game to call of duty, we will get has much players has call of duty"

* evil silence *

Serious question: Are you 12.

* evil laugh *

* evil silence *

I'm assuming this sounded much more clever in your head before posting. Particularly the COD comparison which is way off the mark.

scoobs

As a long-time PC gamer, I reluctantly purchased for PS4 today. Friends are all there and I value that more than a better experience playing by myself I guess. The 30fps cap is super noticeable and felt clunky to me, but I'll make sacrifices to game with buddies.

I thought the graphics were really impressive, and better than the first, which surprised me because watching videos at E3 I thought it looked basically the exact same. The Strike was pretty good, nothing spectacular but fun. I was confused by the grenade recharge rate... why is it so fucking long?

DeaDPo0L84

* evil laugh *

* evil silence *

Thats...embarassing.

jem0208

The PvP is a distinct improvement over Destiny 1, the higher TTK and less supers is so much nicer.

It's still just kinda bland though. There's nothing particularly interesting about the PvP. Shots are really easy to hit so kills aren't particularly satisfying, the maps and modes aren't doing anything interesting and I seen to be spending half my time staring at the radar...

I know it's just a beta and a small slice of the final game but it's not a very interesting slice.

Also why the fuck would you include a bunch of cool movement mechanics and then make it basically impossible to shoot whilst in the air? That design decision is just mind numbingly stupid.

SomTervo

I played the story and honestly, it just felt like another run of the mill, mindless whack-a-mole fps to me. Its sad to say this but fps games have not evolved at all. If anything, they've regressed significantly.

I didn't like this beta or the original Destiny but... What FPS games have you been playing??? The last few years have been the best FPS years since the mid-00s. Not counting any multiplayer FPS games.

Drencrom

Man, this beta is a seriously underwhelming introduction to D2, I only played vanilla D1 and the beta haven't impressed me or showed me anything noteworthy or new in the story mission or the strike...

I know people have said it a hundred times at this point but it litterally feels like an expansion to D1, definitely gonna pass on this.

The PvP is a distinct improvement over Destiny 1, the higher TTK and less supers is so much nicer.

It's still just kinda bland though. There's nothing particularly interesting about the PvP. Shots are really easy to hit so kills aren't particularly satisfying, the maps and modes aren't doing anything interesting and I seen to be spending half my time staring at the radar...

I know it's just a beta and a small slice of the final game but it's not a very interesting slice.

Also why the fuck would you include a bunch of cool movement mechanics and then make it basically impossible to shoot whilst in the air? That design decision is just mind numbingly stupid.

I agree on the radar. At this stage I wonder if it's worth removing or moving it elsewhere on the screen.
I play on a 65" screen and I've noticed that I'm forced to watch the radar, so much so that it gets distracting sometimes. Ideally the sound design and footsteps of enemies would be strong enough that you kind of just 'know' where enemies are at - something that Overwatch does very well.

On the air combat, I think it's a good mix. Jumping helps avoid damage and headshots - particularly for the more agile classes (Hunters, Dawnbreakers). However the aim/delay penalty means that staying grounded and strafing is also a good option - and mixing up the two is important.

Shooters without the penalty tend to result in everyone constant bunny hopping (e.g. Overwatch), which is both boring and annoying.

What I would like to see is a general buff to hipfiring across the board, so that you don't feel the need to ADS constantly.

Can someone explain these strikes to me - are these just recycled campaign spaces, are they always similar objectives/encounter designs, how many should I reasonably expect from Destiny 2, and how often does Bungie release them?

The Campaign segment was kinda meh, but loved the mmo-lite raid style of the Strike.

Fresh level 1 characters in D1 recharge supers faster than D2.

Can someone explain these strikes to me - are these just recycled campaign spaces, are they always similar objectives/encounter designs, how many should I reasonably expect from Destiny 2, and how often does Bungie release them?

The Campaign segment was kinda meh, but loved the mmo-lite raid style of the Strike.

In Destiny 1 strikes sometime reuse patrol play spaces but also have unique level design. Recycling assets and play areas was a big content complaints in D1, no idea how D2 would change on that department, but from what I've seen I feel the strikes will be more uniquely designed this time.

danowat

Banned
Anyone else having problems finishing the mission?, I just get a solid lock / hang everytime I get to a certain point on the PS4

jem0208

I agree on the radar. At this stage I wonder if it's worth removing or moving it elsewhere on the screen.
I play on a 65" screen and I've noticed that I'm forced to watch the radar, so much so that it gets distracting sometimes. Ideally the sound design and footsteps of enemies would be strong enough that you kind of just 'know' where enemies are at - something that Overwatch does very well.

On the air combat, I think it's a good mix. Jumping helps avoid damage and headshots - particularly for the more agile classes (Hunters, Dawnbreakers). However the aim/delay penalty means that staying grounded and strafing is also a good option - and mixing up the two is important.

Shooters without the penalty tend to result in everyone constant bunny hopping (e.g. Overwatch), which is both boring and annoying.

What I would like to see is a general buff to hipfiring across the board, so that you don't feel the need to ADS constantly.
I disagree about the bunny hopping, don't really see how it's boring.

To go back to Bungie's past, Halo had perfect accuracy no matter what you were doing and it was great.

Combine that with the various movement abilities and an increased verticality in map design and Destiny's PvP would actually be pretty unique.

Top Bottom