• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 Beta |OT| Garry's Mod

What's the best class?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Really curious who that AI is btw in the strike.
Her name is Failsafe. She's the A.I of the crashed colony ship of Exodus Black. And apparently, SIVA makes an apperance in Destiny 2 as well

is that picture a reference to the "blowing up planets just for getting in their way"?

Most likely. And from the looks of it, there's a city on top of that gigantic ship

The Cabal aren't messing around in Destiny 2.

Nodnol

Really curious who that AI is btw in the strike.

There's lore hints to suggest who or where it may come from.

Failsafe is likely to be the ship AI from Exodus Black, a crashed colony ship, launched from the Russian Cosmodrone on Earth. Same ships that can be seen littering the skyline in D1.

I'm guessing her split-personality is some kind of AI entropy after being alone for so long.

Trakan

Not at all. It has a steep learning curve. If you use all the combo's available to you.
Its a beast. You have speed, movement, close range attacks, long range attacks and large area attacks.

It doesn't matter how deep the combo system of the super is if you can't hit people with it. The attacks need some sort of forward momentum or lunge. Even with infinite dodging in the super, you don't have any invincibility and still take damage. Arcstrider is currently way worse than Bladedancer for this reason. You run straight to your death with people shooting you.

So fun to do haha.

It is really fun, I just wish it worked on more enemies. It's not strong enough.

Theorry

It doesn't matter how deep the combo system of the super is if you can't hit people with it. The attacks need some sort of forward momentum or lunge. Even with infinite dodging in the super, you don't have any invincibility and still take damage. Arcstrider is currently way worse than Bladedancer for this reason. You run straight to your death with people shooting you.

Working fine here.

There's lore hints to suggest who or where it may come from.

Failsafe is likely to be the ship AI from Exodus Black, a crashed colony ship, launched from the Russian Cosmodrone on Earth. Same ships that can be seen littering the skyline in D1.

I'm guessing her split-personality is some kind of AI entropy after being alone for so long.
Wasn't the Exodus also transporting SIVA?

CREMSteve

I read the social space unlocks in the beta today (about two hours from now), any idea do I need to complete the story mission before or after it releases to access it?

I'm not sure if this is getting discussed here much or not but Gambler's Dodge on the Hunter is a lot of fun and possibly broken in the beta.

I was having a lot of fun with this setup last night - https://youtu.be/ViHNzG5c-yg. Final clip is from the guy behind Guardian Theater. In one clip I manage to take care of 4 guardians almost exclusively with punches.

This gif shows what might be broken about it, it'll recharge if you roll next to a dead guardian - http://imgur.com/QSm2d08

Gator86

Well thats shit. As usual the devs pander to the whiners. Nobody likes change, and has to complain, next thing we will have a boatload of complaints that gunplay hasnt changed since D1.

I too hate it when companies do things customers ask for.

I don't know how 2 primaries that fire nearly identically can be more fun than the variety of a primary and a special that are vastly different.

I just stuck with my primary and mostly never bothered to switch until a bullet sponge elite popped and I emptied my two heavy rounds. They fucked up the loadout.

jviggy43

On phone so can't edit out the post, but that part about the rain... look up. Yes. That's not rain. That's water from sprinklers, which is why it looks "bad". It's not dripping at the speed of rain.
That same rain effect happens outside as well. I'm about to start a hunter and will snag a picture of it.

I too hate it when companies do things customers ask for.

Bet you thought that was clever. Some customers may have asked for the neutering of weapons/movement/cooldowns/specials because of their precious PVP, but I'll guarantee you that the majority didn't.

Gator86

Bet you thought that was clever. Some customers may have asked for the neutering of weapons/movement/cooldowns/specials because of their precious PVP, but I'll guarantee you that the majority didn't.

The post explicitly referred to buffing weapon damage, but nice try, I guess.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
D1 PVP was fine. Except for the lag and special ammo really.

Yeah. All they had to do was balance changes. Gun play and everything was fine. I was mad at the special ammo thing at first but it makes things better when you think about it and played thousands of matches.

ZeoVGM

Banned
So I've been talking to some friends about this and I think most of the complaints with the PvE/PvP balance will be fixed with these two changes:

- Increase power ammo in PvE, which we already know they will be doing.
- Decrease the cool down on abilities a little bit.

If there is still a large issue, there is a more extreme step to take:

- Move snipers and fusions to the energy slot. They would be exclusive to that slot while all the current weapons that have both kinetic and energy versions (auto rifles, pulse rifles, etc.) would stay as they are.

- When you do have a sniper or fusion equipped in PvP and pick up energy ammo, you would not get much at all.

- Shotguns would stay in the power slot. I think it works better for PvP that way and for PvE, upping the ammo drop rate will balance it out.

Cake Boss

Banned
Competitive mode is the worst mode of modern shooters. Wow just wow, who approved this??

I am starting to enjoy QuickPay a bit more as I switched from the hunter garbage class.

So I've been talking to some friends about this and I think most of the complaints with the PvE/PvP balance will be fixed with these two changes:

- Move snipers and fusions to the energy slot. They would be exclusive to that slot while all the current weapons that have both kinetic and energy versions (auto rifles, pulse rifles, etc.) would stay as they are.

- When you do have a sniper or fusion equipped in PvP and pick up energy ammo, you would not get much at all.

- Shotguns would stay in the power slot. I think it works better for PvP that way and for PvE, upping the ammo drop rate will balance it out.

Less than zero chance of that happening within the first year of Destiny 2's life.

This really isn't about what the players or the community wants but rather what the developers envisioned their game to be and they'll stick with those plans for a long while. No way they are moving off the 4v4 player count or adjusting the new weapon slot system anytime soon.

If those things change look for it in the major Year 2 expansion.

Gator86

Destiny PvP is a sideshow (and a bad one for me at that) to me and harming the PvE to balance it only turns people off.

Yup, but Bungie will never let it go. They refuse to admit they don't have the ability to keep both exciting, balanced, and compelling. The single biggest issue with the Destiny franchise at this point is Bungie's refusal to break apart parts of their game that clearly need to be broken apart.

jviggy43

That same rain effect happens outside as well. I'm about to start a hunter and will snag a picture of it.

Following up:

8b717899-1266-400d-8841-3873505ff409.PNG

Just looks silly.

Also its jarring to come out of that level with pouring rain and have the end cut scene be clear skies. The fuck did all the rain go?

ZeoVGM

Banned
Less than zero chance of that happening within the first year of Destiny 2's life.

This really isn't about what the players or the community wants but rather what the developers envisioned their game to be and they'll stick with those plans for a long while. No way they are moving off the 4v4 player count or adjusting the new weapon slot system anytime soon.

If those things change look for it in the major Year 2 expansion.

I'm not straight up calling for it. That's more of a "last resort" change if it's needed. I honestly thinking fixing the ammo issue in PvE and the ability charge issue will fix most of this.

Ascenion

At this point for your extreme changes I'd just make a PVP loadout separate from the normal one. Shotguns got no business being a power weapon, snipers and fusions shouldn't be Energy exclusive. Just give a weapon two slot specifications based on game mode. Using purple ammo on a fucking shotgun is a waste.

ZeoVGM

Banned
At this point for your extreme changes I'd just make a PVP loadout separate from the normal one. Shotguns got no business being a power weapon, snipers and fusions shouldn't be Energy exclusive. Just give a weapon two slot specifications based on game mode. Using purple ammo on a fucking shotgun is a waste.

I think what I said addresses that. If you want to use a shotgun in PvE, there will be more power ammo. If you want it in PvP, it should be rare.

Making shotgun ammo this rare has to be the single dumbest decision I have ever seen in a shooter.

They already said they'll be fixing that in PvE.

jviggy43

More random thoughts and questions

The radar in PvP needs to be fixed so as to remove the delay. So obnoxious.

Snipers do not feel like they should be in the power spot, at all. Theyre heavier to use now and don't pack quite the punch I'd expect for it to be designated a power weapon equivalent to rockets (At least in PvE, havent used them in PvP yet).

Are heavy machine guns gone now? Haven't found any or heard about them yet.

Are fixed loadouts just not in the beta, but will be in the final game? I was able to switch on the fly in both missions but I keep hearing that the final release will make you have a locked loadout for PvE missions (and if true blind Raids are going to be a chore to load in and out of).

Hunter arc staff is....a downgraded arc blade. (Titan sentinel is the goat here guys and gals).

Def rocking titan/warlock for my two classes when the game ships. I just don't see the utility a hunter brings to PvE as it currently stands. Nightstalker obviously would be a huge boost to that class.

Theorry

More random thoughts and questions

The radar in PvP needs to be fixed so as to remove the delay. So obnoxious.

Snipers do not feel like they should be in the power spot, at all. Theyre heavier to use now and don't pack quite the punch I'd expect for it to be designated a power weapon equivalent to rockets (At least in PvE, havent used them in PvP yet).

Are heavy machine guns gone now? Haven't found any or heard about them yet.

Are fixed loadouts just not in the beta, but will be in the final game? I was able to switch on the fly in both missions but I keep hearing that the final release will make you have a locked loadout for PvE missions (and if true blind Raids are going to be a chore to load in and out of).

Hunter arc staff is....a downgraded arc blade. (Titan sentinel is the goat here guys and gals).

Def rocking titan/warlock for my two classes when the game ships. I just don't see the utility a hunter brings to PvE as it currently stands. Nightstalker obviously would be a huge boost to that class.

It really isnt. First it drops orbs. It has short range damage, long range damage, multiple combo's, movement and speed with unlimited dodge and you have a Titan smash move.

Blueblur1

I don't understand the D1 shotgun complaint. D1 had heavy shotgun use from day one. if you don't like it play a different game.

Its not like your opponent is the only one that benefits from it. Everyone has enjoyed a good match with lots of fun shotgun kills. To take that away to address complaints and esportsify Destiny is a big mistake, IMO.

jviggy43

It really isnt. First it drops orbs. It has short range damage, long range damage, multiple combo's, movement and speed with unlimited dodge and you have a Titan smash move.

Sentinel shield smash closes distances between enemies while arc staff doesn't; thats a huge detriment to that ability.

decisions

Just played this for an hour or two and man what a shitshow.

FOV + 30fps(framepacing?) feels awful. Characters are generic and art direction feels cluttered, messy and forgettable. Same enemy types as D1, no interesting encounters.

PVP was just made worse. Movement feels worse, supers/grenades are barely in matches, and it just happens at a slow, unsatisfying pace.

Also I dunno what it is about Destiny, it has this weird color filter over it or something but looking at these environments that look exactly the same as the first game makes me want to puke at this point.

I'm out. RIP Bungie.

GutZ31

Sentinel shield smash closes distances between enemies while arc staff doesn't; thats a huge detriment to that ability.

ArcStrider has combo abilities that have range, but nothing to quickly shorten the distance to your target, other than in the air ground pound. Some of the combo endings have some rather good reach, but yea, feels like a massive nerf when you compare it to blade dancer.

Blueblur1

Cute. Unfortunately for you I'll keep voicing my opinion. Set me to ignore if you can't handle criticism and discussion.

Dudes

Is Opp Def = Kills?

Advantage being ?????

What is Powerplay?

And Effeciency??

Its Bungie speak for "we want to esportsify this thing".

But anyway, Advantage is when you have 2 territories. Powerplay is 3. And efficiency is Kill/Death ratio. Its all meant to tone down the violent language and create new terms for esports commentators to use while commentating a match.

So basically, its lame.

Ramirez

I don't understand the D1 shotgun complaint. D1 had heavy shotgun use from day one. if you don't like it play a different game.

And if you don't like the change in D2, you play a different game. I prefer the revamped system.

We got matched up with a couple streamers last night, and I watched as one of them would get shotgun ammo every round and wreck face with it. Our fandom was in Triplewreck's clan and won a couple rounds for us by sniping 2-3 people while he was the last one standing.

I simply do not understand people who say these weapons don't feel like power weapons when I've seen them wipe the entire opposing team multiple times.

I imagine it's a lot like that GIF above me, people are so quick to whine before adjusting to how things work now. Shit is just as powerful as its ever been. But you can't just mindlessly activate it anymore and wipe the whole team. If you activate a super in a dumb position, you should be punished accordingly.

Blueblur1

And if you don't like the change in D2, you play a different game. I prefer the revamped system.

We got matched up with a couple streamers last night, and I watched as one of them would get shotgun ammo every round and wreck face with it. Our fandom was in Triplewreck's clan and won a couple rounds for us by sniping 2-3 people while he was the last one standing.

I simply do not understand people who say these weapons don't feel like power weapons when I've seen them wipe the entire opposing team multiple times.

Nope.

Because we're not all Ramirez who plays metric tons of Halo and Destiny. You should stop and actually consider that people are not as "skilled" as you.

Cake Boss

Banned
I have a love/hate relationship with this game, when it's on it feels great, team working together and properly holding the choke points, but when it's off I sometimes question my existence and why I am playing this shit.

Ramirez

Nope.

Because we're not all Ramirez who plays metric tons of Halo and Destiny. You should stop and actually consider that people are not as "skilled" as you.

I haven't played Destiny or Halo in over a year. Not sure what my skill level has to do with anything. Anyone can be successful if they take the time to learn how the game is playing out now.

Z3M0G

Just played this for an hour or two and man what a shitshow.

FOV + 30fps(framepacing?) feels awful. Characters are generic and art direction feels cluttered, messy and forgettable. Same enemy types as D1, no interesting encounters.

PVP was just made worse. Movement feels worse, supers/grenades are barely in matches, and it just happens at a slow, unsatisfying pace.

Also I dunno what it is about Destiny, it has this weird color filter over it or something but looking at these environments that look exactly the same as the first game makes me want to puke at this point.

I'm out. RIP Bungie.

Huh... i dont remember dogs and flame throwers in D1...

My worry about the game is that they are making so many changes for the sake of PVP... as if they are betting everything on it carrying the game...

Top Bottom