• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 Beta |OT| Garry's Mod

What's the best class?

Results are only viewable after voting.

DOWN

Banned
🙄 Can’t dislike the graphics or else you’re saying it looks like a PS3 game.

It’s just weird how much of the underlying assets and menus and such seem like they were brought over from the completed Destiny 1 and just sort of got more icing added onto the same cake rather than baking a new cake. It doesn’t appear it had a typical full sequel development.

Guess that’s not surprising since they were still working on expansions last year.

It’s good but I’m not the only one seeing how small the graphical jump is

Trace

Banned

It’s just weird how much of the underlying assets and menus and such seem like they were brought over from the completed Destiny 1 and just sort of got more icing added onto the same cake rather than baking a new cake. It doesn’t appear it had a typical full sequel development.

Guess that’s not surprising since they were still working on expansions last year.

Wow it's almost like sequels aren't a complete reinvention of the previous game sometime!

Guess this doesn't count as a sequel either.

1136951-mp_highrise_02.jpg
2058108-call_of_duty_modern_warfare_3_xbox_360_1320747714_134.jpg

DOWN

Banned
Wow it's almost like sequels aren't a complete reinvention of the previous game sometime!

Another example of an underwhelming graphical evolution by an Activision franchise

kraspkibble

Permabanned.

the visual jump isn't huge but it's definitely much better. in fact i think they overdone it. too much particles floating about the screen at times. it needs toned down a bit. there was always going to be an improvement when you don't need to factor in PS3/360 hardware.

seriously are you saying there is only a small difference between 1 + 2 ? If so i think you ought to get your eyes checked out.

rtcn63

Played the story mission. I'm new to Destiny, but was I fighting gerbils in Warhammer armor?

As for graphics- the aliasing was noticeable, and as a whole it was difficult for me too see what was going on for some reason.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
Is the general movement and shooting different or something? Granted I haven't played D1 in a while, but I remember what I loved about it was the gameplay felt so smooth. This felt really clunky for some reason. Maybe I'm just misremembering cause I haven't played destiny in a long time, but this felt rougher.

Played the story mission. I'm new to Destiny, but was I fighting gerbils in Warhammer armor?

As for graphics- the aliasing was noticeable, and as a whole it was difficult for me too see what was going on for some reason.

The cabals were refered as "Space turtles" by one of the guardian in one of the game promo.

Funny thing is, The Cabal (the gerbils you are talking to) in Destiny 1 can die because the guardian blew up their mask and die of suffocation, throwing their guns and hold their armor where their helmet were choking to their deaths, that feature didnt came back for Destiny 2 , they now have a normal dying animation after you blew their mask.

Looks like someone has an agenda.
An agenda is pointing out that cod games are half assed reskins graphically? Lol

Edit: for the record I think D2 looks fine graphically, disappointing it's 30fps in crucible but other than that I don't have any complaints there. It's just odd that you'd use cod as a baseline and then get upset when someone points out they're very samey

It's just weird how much of the underlying assets and menus and such seem like they were brought over from the completed Destiny 1 and just sort of got more icing added onto the same cake rather than baking a new cake. It doesn't appear it had a typical full sequel development.

Were people saying this same shit back in the Halo 2 & Halo 3 days?

Ramirez

People were very vocal about Halo 3 looking like shit, even though it really didn't.

Why throw out the UI and start over though? The mouse type control in the menus is great. People want change for the sake of change because it has a 2 on it, so stupid.

I think the graphical and stylistic changes in Halo 2 and 3 were far more noticeable. Reach seemed like a smaller jump from 3 but the color palette change made it feel bigger. The story mission is a big jump in terms of atmosphere and particles, and the spaces in the strike feel a lot larger and more active. It seems like the game can throw more enemies at you. But the style of the game is very similar and that's why people are complaining. It just looks too familiar.

If the masses had their way, every iteration would change the art style to look newer.

KC Denton

An agenda is pointing out that cod games are half assed reskins graphically? Lol

Edit: for the record I think D2 looks fine graphically, disappointing it's 30fps in crucible but other than that I don't have any complaints there. It's just odd that you'd use cod as a baseline and then get upset when someone points out they're very samey

Not only that, they're using Modern Warfare-era CoD as the baseline, when the graphical jump from crossgen CoD to currentgen CoD was far more noticeable.

Hoodbury

Playing solo is so difficult - and quitters everywhere. Bungie please give us a 6v6 mode or something.

I'm not having any issues playing solo. Just played 3 games, 2 of them ended with the mercy rule. 1st match went 14-2 before mercy rule set in, second match went 19-9 with 9 caps, third match went 10-0 before the mercy rule.

Not sure what is clicking so much for me but I'm doing really good in D2 where in D1 PvP I suck big time. Usually get around a .5 KDR.

Trakan

Well thats also a stupid move. That was the case in Destiny 1 also. Going straight towards people is asking for problems. Also with the Sentinel. Atleast with the Strider you can easier dodge and make yourself harder to hit like Blade Dancer sideswipes and in the meantime close the gap.

There's no iframes when dodging and less hyper armor during the super. It's inferior to Bladedancer.

I feel like they changed how the Titan jump works. "Gliding" after a jump doesn't feel the same now.

Well they did change it. They made it so you can't skate anymore, so that probably has something to do with how it feels.

Spoo

Starting to realize that I never really use the Hunter's dodge for its intended purpose -- or at least, for its secondary one. Sure, the dodge is meant to save your life, ultimately, but the secondary purpose doesn't really *work* with the primary means; that is, you use it generally to get away from being killed, but the buffs of bringing back your melee or refilling your clip really would have you believe the move is there to keep you in the action and fighting -- not something that you can reasonably do with a health regen as slow as it is in D2.

So, I end up using it primarily to pre-emptively plan a means of escape, allowing my team to finish killing whoever I was able to work down in health before I have to use it. It turns me into a sneaky meat shield. Ironically I end up having ridiculous KDA from all of this, because I'm able to stay alive a lot longer than most, eventually play the heavy, and get a double or triple kill with Shotgun (one of the most powerful weapons in this Countdown map imo).

These secondary abilities are quite good for PvE, but for PvP I think the dodge itself is the only useful aspect (excepting extreme situations). I think they should add a third "choice", which would be when you do the dodge you get a chunk of your health back, or invincibility frames, or something that would make you harder to kill if you use it in front of an enemy and not to run away from a losing fight. Since it can't directly help the team, something that more directly helps you and your damage output potential makes more sense to me.

Also starting to realize that the best usage of the Arcstrider's super on Countdown is going to come from very, very aggressive pushes towards the objective. Rugs is the most natural place to use it, since the opposing team will to get themselves up to the doorway quickly. Using the dodge frequently and being very careful when you actually press the attack buttons is an important part of using the super. Preemptively popping the super is unwise.

I believe the Hunter's kit is the weakest overall in the game, but I still prefer playing it over the other classes.

It's a little thing but I love how the different gun types all have unique reticles, makes me hip fire more than I did in D1 (Though still not that often lol). It's something from Halo I'm glad they brought over, hell the scout rifle one is straight up the DMR's from Reach.

Tei

Neo Member
I played a little last night and didn't enjoy myself. I played Homecoming and The Inverted Spire.

I think my main problem was that I played with randoms. Also, I never played Destiny 1 so I was learning everything on the spot.

The Inverted Spire boss was a terrible experience. I never got the sense that any of my teammates were using their abilities properly - and to be honest, I wasn't sure how to use my class either.
We got the boss's health down to a sliver twice, but ended up dying. On the third try, I felt like quitting, but I didn't want to be a jerk and abandon my teammates. Well, they both ended up quitting themselves, haha.

I'll try again today and hopefully catch a friend online to play with. I still want to buy it since I dig the aesthetic, but it wasn't a great impression for me.

Wellcome to destiny!.

I don't think you did anything very wrong. Is a difficult strike the way is given to us. Early in the thread somebody say "save your big guns for the boss last phase" and that kind of make sense.

I think this boss encounter is designed so you must focus in the adds first, and only pay attention to the boss when he is attacking you. Adds first.

As for the skills. Nobody know yet what to do with them. The titan bubble is obvious, some protection where to reload and play peekaboo. But the damage dealing abilities don't do much to the boss.... or the adds, really. Anyway makes sense to use them to create more orbs. Anything that create orbs means that your friends can super more, so can create more orbs. The orbeconomy is exponential, more orbs, more fun.
No that it was very easy to do this either. The groups of mobs are placed or spawn in areas that make it hard to ambushm them with a well placed super. Or are in roaming areas where you risk your teammates not paying attention to the orbs.

We use to find a safe spot and snipe at the boss, then dance with the adds, but the arenas in this assault don't have safe areas, not even temporally. You could try to use a wall has a shield, then shot to the adds from a corner, but the batttlefield change so quick, you may be getting killed by the boss doing that!. Most people seens to dance around the center of the arenas, that is kind of dumb, but better than getting oneshooted by the boss in a hard to reach area, noibye.

For weapons, your average destiny player have many shotguns, fusion rifles of many types. With the scartity of the beta some players did not really had the weapons they want. People that use fusion rifles had to use a pea shotter. So even people that know what they are doing had touble with the assault.

Is a pretty assault, and possibly long. We don't know how long until we have bikes. Every area that can be skipped using bikes will be skipped. People want zergs and short assaults, and this is neither, is the beta one because showcase some amazing graphics, but nobody is going to favorite it in the future. Your average assault will be (probably) more a bug hunt in tunnels than this weird sprawnling dance.

jviggy43

Using a game widely criticized for its annual release and for being too similar isn't the example youre looking to use.

No because out of the gate Halo 2 looked incredibly different form Halo 1.That first gameplay trailer is like the GOAT example of how to unveil your sequel. I must have watched that thing like 30-40 times back in the day.

ZehDon

Damn it, I'm in. Pre-ordered. Despite my huge reservations about their dual primary system in PvE, which I feel is an absolute mistake there, PvP in this is just damn good fun. For the first time in a long time, I feel like there's a shooter that isn't padding everyone's kill counts with random garbage to make people feel better. When I loose, its because I was out played. When I win, its because my team played better. I haven't mained a console FPS for PvP since Halo 2, but here I am, pre-ordering for PvP. I just hope I'm wrong about PvE...

Tei

Neo Member
Blue engrams and new loot is apparently dropping for Xbox players on completing the strike after the patch.

It occurs to me now that withouth master rahool these engrams are useless, can't be decrypted.

But more variety in weapons can be interesting.

So can the game make you forefit in Countdown? Pretty annoying the game forces you to complete it even after two players quit and you have no rounds won....like Control has a state where the match ends early why shouldn't Countdown? I guess if all 4 stick around sure you can keep it going, but with two you're basically done.

Also I hope the side arms in the full game are better, the two in the beta and especially the kinetic one just feel worthless. Though I'm liking the handcannons a lot more than I did in D1 at least

No because out of the gate Halo 2 looked incredibly different form Halo 1.That first gameplay trailer is like the GOAT example of how to unveil your sequel. I must have watched that thing like 30-40 times back in the day.

Hilarious because the Halo 2 reveal is widely criticized on GAF for being a lie.

I guess some people such as yourself prefer that sort of thing though.

Look at the changes from MGS2 to MGS5. Every single game felt like a complete new experience built from scratch. Look at how many things changed between GTA IV and V.

Destiny 2 feels more akin to the yearly releases we get with COD and Ass Creed, except they're taking three years.

jviggy43

Blue engrams and new loot is apparently dropping for Xbox players on completing the strike after the patch.
Ohhhh will lookl
Hilarious because the Halo 2 reveal is widely criticized on GAF for being a lie.

I guess some people such as yourself prefer that sort of thing though.

What is this? It wasn't a lie at all wtf? People were disappointed with the fact that more of the campaign wasn't centered around earth but that in no way underscores the universal hype that trailer got. Get out of here with that awful logic.

I'm disappointed and all my hype is gone. Hopefully they campaign and world will elevate this past being a glorifled expsnsion. I HATE the new weapon system for PVE and like many he said powera recharge way too slowly. You don't even feel powerful.

Top Bottom