• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 Beta |OT| Garry's Mod

What's the best class?

Results are only viewable after voting.
I met only 2 players when playing the campaign mode. Seriosuly?
Also how could I rewatch the CGI intro? I skipped it be error and there is no way to rewatch it even if I make a new player. I tried to find the saved files on the PS4 system in order to delete them but there are none.
I really hate when you can't rewatch an intro for a game even if you restart it like this one and Marvel Heroes Omega.

Weetrick

Wellcome to destiny!.

I don't think you did anything very wrong. Is a difficult strike the way is given to us. Early in the thread somebody say "save your big guns for the boss last phase" and that kind of make sense.

I think this boss encounter is designed so you must focus in the adds first, and only pay attention to the boss when he is attacking you. Adds first.

As for the skills. Nobody know yet what to do with them. The titan bubble is obvious, some protection where to reload and play peekaboo. But the damage dealing abilities don't do much to the boss.... or the adds, really. Anyway makes sense to use them to create more orbs. Anything that create orbs means that your friends can super more, so can create more orbs. The orbeconomy is exponential, more orbs, more fun.
No that it was very easy to do this either. The groups of mobs are placed or spawn in areas that make it hard to ambushm them with a well placed super. Or are in roaming areas where you risk your teammates not paying attention to the orbs.

We use to find a safe spot and snipe at the boss, then dance with the adds, but the arenas in this assault don't have safe areas, not even temporally. You could try to use a wall has a shield, then shot to the adds from a corner, but the batttlefield change so quick, you may be getting killed by the boss doing that!. Most people seens to dance around the center of the arenas, that is kind of dumb, but better than getting oneshooted by the boss in a hard to reach area, noibye.

For weapons, your average destiny player have many shotguns, fusion rifles of many types. With the scartity of the beta some players did not really had the weapons they want. People that use fusion rifles had to use a pea shotter. So even people that know what they are doing had touble with the assault.

Is a pretty assault, and possibly long. We don't know how long until we have bikes. Every area that can be skipped using bikes will be skipped. People want zergs and short assaults, and this is neither, is the beta one because showcase some amazing graphics, but nobody is going to favorite it in the future. Your average assault will be (probably) more a bug hunt in tunnels than this weird sprawnling dance.

Yeah, see I didn't even know what orbs where until I saw a stat of how many each player made (I made none). I still have no idea what they are. It never taught me, unless I missed it completely.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
�� Can't dislike the graphics or else you're saying it looks like a PS3 game.

It's just weird how much of the underlying assets and menus and such seem like they were brought over from the completed Destiny 1 and just sort of got more icing added onto the same cake rather than baking a new cake. It doesn't appear it had a typical full sequel development.

Guess that's not surprising since they were still working on expansions last year.

It's good but I'm not the only one seeing how small the graphical jump is

I did not take part on Destiny 1's craze so this is my first Destiny experience and I must say, I am impressed. The graphics are gorgeous (PS4 here)--well, I am not a person difficult to impress really but still, I was quite surprised by how impressed I am when trying it.

Now about to try the strike coop.

Ramirez

What is this? It wasn't a lie at all wtf? People were disappointed with the fact that more of the campaign wasn't centered around earth but that in no way underscores the universal hype that trailer got. Get out of here with that awful logic.

The entire level wasn't even really running on an XBox was it? Their initial reveal, and the E3 trailer at Earth were not at all indicative of the final product, lol.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Press O/B twice.

LOL thank you. Felt like an idiot. the game said the Hunter can dodge but I've spent time looking at the button config and trying to press buttons but still not finding how.

Also, I am assuming that on the game's proper release, you *can* choose which gender you use on the classes you pick, yes? Meaning if I want to, say, play as a female Titan or male Hunter then I can?

jviggy43

The entire level wasn't even really running on an XBox was it? Their initial reveal, and the E3 trailer at Earth were not at all indicative of the final product, lol.

I'm not sure at all about what it was running on but the initial trailer absolutely was indicative of the final game. You fought on earth. How was that not indicative of the final product? If people assumed that it would take place entirely on earth it came from interviews and bungie talk-nowhere in that trailer did it say "this whole fight will take place on earth".

Additionally what criteria of that showcase wasn't indicative of the final game? Was it because of the exact level wasn't in the game, because everything else was 100% indicative of the final game through and through- and that was what got people excited. And if were going to talk about shown content that didn't appear in the final game regarding destiny/halo comparisons (and lying or misrepresenting their product) in a destiny thread, then talk about kettle calling the pot black.

My hot take.

Story mission is a obvious step in the right direction as far as Story games. Its kind of a shame they are not really changing up the gameplay though. A few years ago I expected them to expand the sandbox for Destiny by making it bigger and maybe rolling in vehicles and being a bit more Halo like. Gameplay wise this is just more Destiny but with cutscenes now. Thats .... ok I guess?

The Strike is a good strike. Not much to say. You could have told me this was a Destiny 1 strike and I would havent bat a eye. Its a good one of those.

PVP......I am not feeling it. Going for lower player counts and nerfing everything just seems to have sucked any life it once had out. I liked the "oh shit, he has a super that could wipe out everyone in the room" thing Destiny 1 had. Also I want some of that vehicular stuff Halo had. I want modes larger (8v8) player counts and vehicles. I think vehicles as part of the gameplay sandbox would also be fun for every other mode too.

If this is the bar of quality and presentation for the whole game then I would say its a more thought out game but I am not sure its a whole lot better outside of presentation. It is better is some ways, worse in some and the exact same in a whole lot of others.

Its like they knew they had to fix the campaign so they did but for everything else they just fiddled with it.

void666

Banned
LOL thank you. Felt like an idiot. the game said the Hunter can dodge but I've spent time looking at the button config and trying to press buttons but still not finding how.

Also, I am assuming that on the game's proper release, you *can* choose which gender you use on the classes you pick, yes? Meaning if I want to, say, play as a female Titan or male Hunter then I can?

That's for certain. We just don't know the extension of the customization options. Here's hoping for beards and scars.

E92 M3

Endless Vale is probably one of mine top three Destiny maps. Its so much fun wrecking with the Voidwalker. Going against groups is painful though.

Hopefully there will be a lone wolf playlist.

I took a break from raging to update the thread's class banner, and now I finally know why the Gunslinger is facing the other direction.

RszL95T.png

Perineum

Had an awesome game today I uploaded to my facebook with PS4 share to showcase to buddies. I mean I've had games where my efficiency has been 12.0 or whatever and I go 12 and 1 or 12 and 0, but I had a good game where I did almost 7.0 K/D where I played out of my mind as warlock.

Really surprising that I was going to be a Hunter again 100%, then pre beta was leaning towards Titan due to how much they get, and in the end I'm going lock when the game launches.

Can't wait for release! Ready to waste another 800+ hours like I did with D1.

jviggy43

Any guesses what the hunter ability will be when/if they get nightstalker back? I'm assuming it will be an invisible perk with maybe a choice between longer invisibility for yourself or shorter invis but for teammates as well.

Ramirez

Any guesses what the hunter ability will be when/if they get nightstalker back? I'm assuming it will be an invisible perk with maybe a choice between longer invisibility for yourself or shorter invis but for teammates as well.

What? It'll be the roll, and probably do the same thing as the other 2, refill ammo/melee. I really don't think invis is in the game. If it were, you'd see some of it in the Arcstrider I'm sure.

Gator86

How are we still guessing about whether 3rd subclasses are in? Bungie's shit-tier drip feed of information is insufferable. It seems like this might be relevant information to reveal to potential customers.

They need to have the 3rd subclasses in. If it's only the ones they've shown, that's a huge disappointment, especially given they've axed all customization and now you just pick from two flavors of each subclass.

jviggy43

What? It'll be the roll, and probably do the same thing as the other 2, refill ammo/melee. I really don't think invis is in the game. If it were, you'd see some of it in the Arcstrider I'm sure.
I wasn't aware they statyed the same across subclasses. Thats shitty for hunters.
Is a 3rd subclass confirmed even?

I hope it's confirmed (can someone confirm this pls).

So far we dont have confirmation. I imagine it will likely come in an expansion if I were to guess.

Sullichin

I was astonished when I made a warlock and saw the class ability was a healing/dmg aura, 10000% more useful than the awful dodge on the hunter, and I seem to get it more often even?! I kept trying to dodge in mid air as hunter so I was also surprised Warlocks got that too

Damn destiny's gunplay is terrible compared to halo

Which halo are you talking about ? Maybe CE-Reach but definitely not Halo 5. IMO, Destiny 1 is Bungies best gunplay to date, especially Year one through HoW expansion. I actually think many people would agree with me on that.

Which halo are you talking about ? Maybe CE-Reach but definitely not Halo 5. IMO, Destiny 1 is Bungies best gunplay to date, especially Year one through HoW expansion. I actually think many people would agree with me on that.
Yeah the only reason I even put so much time into D1 was the gunplay. I think it plays much better than Halo. D2 is just as good.

The Jer

Tried playing Destiny 1 crucible tonight and couldn't... I didn't realize how much better Destiny 2 PvP was until now. It felt like it was supers, grenades, and melee non-stop. No gunplay. I felt like I had no health. Slower grenades and supers, less players, and longer ttk is great. I'm not saying I don't have a laundry list of things that need to be adjusted or changed -I do - I just didn't realize how much better the new crucible was until tonight.

I was astonished when I made a warlock and saw the class ability was a healing/dmg aura, 10000% more useful than the awful dodge on the hunter, and I seem to get it more often even?! I kept trying to dodge in mid air as hunter so I was also surprised Warlocks got that too

Warlocks have the dodge too right? I played a hunter and kept holding circle hoping for something but nothing happened. I think hunters got cheated lol

cakely

Did the story, beat the strike, and played a bunch of control in crucible. I unlocked a decent primary pulse rifle and a rocket launcher and was enjoying them in PvP.

Overall impressions are very positive, I have no regrets purchasing the game, I'm sure I'll get my money's worth.

I am kind of wondering though, where the hell is "Nessus" located? Another star system? And why does it look like a patchwork planet from orbit?

void666

Banned
Warlocks have the dodge too right? I played a hunter and kept holding circle hoping for something but nothing happened. I think hunters got cheated lol

Warlocks have mid air dodge. Similar to the twilight garrison exotic armor titans have in destiny 1.
Hunter dodge is done by pressing O/B twice.

I am kind of wondering though, where the hell is "Nessus" located? Another star system? And why does it look like a patchwork planet from orbit?

"7066 Nessus is a Centaur minor planet with an irregular orbit. At perihelion, Nessus is closer to the Sun than Uranus; at aphelion, Nessus moves into the Kuiper belt."

Destiny related source

Fracas

#fuckonami
Played the first mission, think that's all I can do since I'm not gonna pay for online MP and it seems I can't do strikes solo. Game looks like total ass on PS4, though this is the first console game I've played in about a year so I guess it makes sense. 30 fps remains a war crime.

This is basically a clone of the first game, for better or for worse. More fleshed out characters, but what I played was the same old "go here, hit button, wave of bad guys" thing. The combat loop is good so it's worth playing.

Hit me with dat PC beta, bungie

SlickVic

Usually don't get a chance to play games on a home theater setup, but have to say the surround sound in the Beta seems pretty good. Voices sound very clear and cool to hear guns firing and explosions goings off around you. Seems to take good advantage of all the speakers.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Is anyone else having issues with drops? I've played probably 12 Crucible matches today and not a single piece of armor. Only weapons.

Ovech-King

Gold Member
The upgrade in graphics is very slick specially the new weather effects, good job on that.

I hope the guns are a little less powerful because the enemies were quite weak. The save points in this were awful . We died at the last stage of it and we started back 10 minutes before

ZeoVGM

Banned
The upgrade in graphics is very slick specially the new weather effects, good job on that.

I hope the guns are a little less powerful because the enemies were quite weak. The save points in this were awful . We died at the last stage of it and we started back 10 minutes before

Er... what?

So sad to hear about those negative impressions about gunplay and slow PvP. Was really hyped about this game because the gunplay was so fun in D1 and PvP was actually different than other shooters on the market but... now I don't know. Was thinking about PC version so autoaim issues/differences (if there is any) wouldn't matter but there are still those lack of impact sounds and effects when shooting nicely covered in this post

ocean

Banned
Anyone else find the strike kinda long? I am picturing hard mode taking an hour.. That normal for destiny 1?
The thing about Strikes in Destiny is people run them so much it starts becoming a cakewalk soon after you realize the ideal setup / positioning for each area. People are already clearing this Strike in 15 minutes once they know what they're doing, and that's before the already-confirmed buffs to weapon damage in PvE, before we get decent weapons and armor, before the imminent improvement to ability cooldowns...

There is absolutely no way this strike, or any strike, will ever take an hour unless you're doing some esoteric challenge (like a solo run with handicaps to your Loadouts or something)

Top Bottom