• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 Beta |OT| Garry's Mod

What's the best class?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Wedzi

Banned
Whelp I cancelled my pre order. I'm just not feeling it. Everything feels... just slower? Idk I've put a fair amount of time into it and every time I go back I seem to like it less. Maybe I'll change my mind come release after more content is relieved plus reviews but for now I'm going to watch this one from the sidelines.

Dante316

The beta is fine for now. They will most likely make changes. The one I care about is getting the super rate faster. It's Soo slow in pvp and pve but maybe better gear helps.

Whelp I cancelled my pre order. I'm just not feeling it. Everything feels... just slower? Idk I've put a fair amount of time into it and every time I go back I seem to like it less. Maybe I'll change my mind come release after more content is relieved plus reviews but for now I'm going to watch this one from the sidelines.

you cared enough to pre-order but not enough to do 2 minutes of research to see bungie's comments on why pve feels slower right now (or even consider how gear would affect it in the full game)

ISee

I planed to buy the PC version 100%, but after playing the beta (on PS4Pro) I'm not sure anymore. I already see myself fighting tons of damage-sponges and repeating the same strike(s) for weeks. The biggest problem is the uninteresting setting/story. I don't know enough about the traveler, the light or the city to give a shit about it burning down. "Oh no what are they doing to the big white space ship?". I don't know game and I don't care because you didn't bother to explain it to me and I felt not urgency or excitement playing the first mission because of the lack of world building. The FPS mechanics are excellent though (feel very good for 30 FPS!) and I'll try the PC demo aka open beta.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
I planed to buy the PC version 100%, but after playing the beta (on PS4Pro) I'm not sure anymore. I already see myself fighting tons of damage-sponges and repeating the same strike(s) for weeks. The biggest problem is the uninteresting setting/story. I don't know enough about the traveler, the light or the city to give a shit about it burning down. "Oh no what are they doing to the big white space ship?". I don't know game and I don't care because you didn't bother to explain it to me and I felt not urgency or excitement playing the first mission because of the lack of world building. The FPS mechanics are excellent though (feel very good for 30 FPS!) and I'll try the PC demo aka open beta.
To be fair, they did a lot of world building in D1, so the big white spaceship would make more sense to you if you had played that.

Beta is among my favourites, apart from the super trickle rate, melee being nerfed into the ground and grenades doing not much, I'm loving the changes in D2.

Bring on the farm, bring on release!

Jblanks

Skyboxes are always among the best in the industry.
Strike boss was fun.
The rest bored me to death.

I agree. It's a whole lot of...nothing?

What were your thoughts on D1's strikes?

This strike was definitely a step in the right direction, loved the open battlefield where different factions were vs. each other, the drill part, and the boss was fun, albeit another bullet sponge. Pretty much better than anything in D1.

cucuchu

I can't quite put my finger on why but I have felt absolutely no motivation to jump back into the beta after Thursday night. I did the mission, strike and a few of both multiplayer modes with all 3 classes for completion's sake but that is it. I remember with Destiny 1 beta I was jumping into multiplayer matches every second of the day that I could and running the strike a couple of times a day too.

I'm not trying to be negative but it just feels like a slower Destiny 1 with less variety and more visual polish. Of course these are impressions from the beta but after being neutral about it before and spending some extensive time with it, I do not like the double primary weapon setup at all...it kills the variety of gunplay. Between this and the slower gameplay, it feels inferior to Destiny 1. If everyone else likes these changes, good on you and I hope you enjoy hundreds of hours of Destiny 2 like I did with Destiny 1. For me though this is (so far) a big disappointment.

madquills

Neo Member
What were your thoughts on D1's strikes?

This strike was definitely a step in the right direction, loved the open battlefield where different factions were vs. each other, the drill part, and the boss was fun, albeit another bullet sponge. Pretty much better than anything in D1.

I don't know about 'much better than anything in d1'

I played the beta last night, and this morning the only thing I can remember about the strike was the drill part. Yes, that bit was interesting. Everything else on either side was same old linear crap with no interesting encounters. The boss was so ludicrously uninspired my fireteam barely had anything to say while fighting it. And all I remember about the boss really is that he liked to stomp on me a lot and we had to do lots of running around in circles to avoid his boots. We beat it 2nd time with basically no coordination or strategy.

Strikes in D1 weren't loads better, but some of them had great moments, like having to carry the orbs in that Vex one, and the cool boss encounter at the end of it. Or the tank mini-boss, Sparrow segments, etc etc.

Frankly I'm really concerned if the beta strike, which let's face it should be one of the best as it's effectively marketing the game to would be buyers, can't bring a single new idea to the table, and actually didn't even have a lot of what made D1's strikes fun.

All told, I'm quite upset by how disappointed I am so far.

pronk420

I'm pretty sure the first time you see the thing attached to the traveller, it is a lot smaller relative to the size of the traveller than when you see it again during the mission, where it covers a much larger portion of the traveller. Bungie really need to fix this before launch.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
I'm pretty sure the first time you see the thing attached to the traveller, it is a lot smaller relative to the size of the traveller than when you see it again during the mission, where it covers a much larger portion of the traveller. Bungie really need to fix this before launch.

It seems to grow on it by the looks, like a spider unfolding it's legs or something.

I think it's just slowly extending itself over the Traveller to deploy in time, when they take the light.

pronk420

It seems to grow on it by the looks, like a spider unfolding it's legs or something.

I think it's just slowly extending itself over the Traveller to deploy in time, when they take the light.

In the final scene the main part of it is back to the size it is when you first see it, but the 'legs' have extended thin things that wrap around it. But when you see it in the plaza, the actual main body part looks much bigger to me.

MrCow

beta is not really doing it for me, I played only the destiny 1 main game but this feels too much the same to destiny 1 already. now coming from Titanfall 2 the game feels slow and autoaim is weird.

actually I think from a gameplay perspective destiny 1 felt better, but that may be false memory but I think the jumping was different, the game was a little faster and weapons felt different.

overall the beta turned me off from buying the game.

Lasty95

So I think I'm done with the beta.

After a whole bunch of PvP, going back into the Strike everything does indeed feel a little limp. But that's no bother. They've already said they've addressed that stuff.

I really love the PvP though. Some proper brilliant matches already. That Control map is just perfection. 10/10. Reminds me of my fav D1 maps (Rusted Lands and Shores of Time) only shrunk down a bit.

Roll on September!

beta is not really doing it for me, I played only the destiny 1 main game but this feels too much the same to destiny 1 already. now coming from Titanfall 2 the game feels slow and autoaim is weird.

actually I think from a gameplay perspective destiny 1 felt better, but that may be false memory but I think the jumping was different, the game was a little faster and weapons felt different.

overall the beta turned me off from buying the game.

I also came off the back of Titanfall 2, and 30 fps and slow movement was difficult to adjust to.

I think Bungie are incredible when it comes to aim settings, so once I adjusted the sensitivity (changed to 7) it felt great.

I initially felt D2 was slower than D1 for a while, however after more time with the beta I don't think there is much of a difference. Particularly not to the degree that some posts in this thread would imply.
The biggest changes are to the jumps, which don't seem to give the boosts they once did - e.g. Titan skating. But even then, a Hunter with double jump, a SMG/lightweight-weapon and dodge, feel very agile. Dawnbreakers also feel very good with the air dodge and burst glide.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
How does warlocks dodge mid air?

Van Bur3n

you cared enough to pre-order but not enough to do 2 minutes of research to see bungie's comments on why pve feels slower right now (or even consider how gear would affect it in the full game)

I mean, he's already smarter by not pre-ordering. Regardless of what Bungie says, pre-ordering a game from them after the first Destiny is a questionable move.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Dawnblade. Dude, just look through the abilities yourself.
I am not at the PS4 bro, I'm approximitely 200 miles away from it. This is a gaming forum, meant for discussion of all sorts.

E92 M3

After playing last night, I have to say that I'm completely in love with the PvP. Everything feels fair and it brings back memories of Halo. The only thing I disliked is getting killed behind walls.

Damn, the Destiny 2 Beta thread might not reach 100 pages by end of it. Who would have thought that? A far cry from the original Destiny Alpha/Beta days of multiple 400 page threads. A bit of different circumstances considering the mega-hype for the first for sure but still a bit surprising.

For me there just wasn't enough included here as far as how the game actually works from the Director to the Social Space(s) to the PvE to PvP and most importantly player progression and exploration/new activities in a patrol space (of course, existing players are familiar with most of this already). The game simply wasn't shown in the best light.

Of course many of us already made the decision long ago in whether you were diving in head first to another time sink in Destiny 2 but for new players I don't know how this "Beta" could have done much to sway you into the "definitely getting it" crowd.

FyreWulff

Discord + Reddit exploding in popularity happened plus it hasn't been 4 years since the last Bungie game release. You sort of have to remember Bungie almost ended up sitting out an entire generation worth of time between Reach and Destiny. People were hungry to see what they were up to.

Not even E3 conference threads can get to multiples anymore.

Discord + Reddit exploding in popularity happened plus it hasn't been 4 years since the last Bungie game release. You sort of have to remember Bungie almost ended up sitting out an entire generation worth of time between Reach and Destiny. People were hungry to see what they were up to.

Not even E3 conference threads can get to multiples anymore.

Yeah, I guess some of that played into it in addition to the fact that the minuscule bit of content here in the Beta is the exact same content we saw in the initial reveal, at E3, and in other previews and is probably the exact same build as well. Experiencing it for yourself is definitely different (and appreciated) but after a few goes at it and with the already experienced reveals/previews there just wasn't much to generate a lot of discussion one way or another.

Gudji

After playing last night, I have to say that I'm completely in love with the PvP. Everything feels fair and it brings back memories of Halo. The only thing I disliked is getting killed behind walls.

PvP is amazing. If only we had dedicated servers this would be perfect (after a balance patch for some weapons).

PVP feels like a compelling part of the game now instead of a one shot death fest.

I can see myself playing way more of it in D2 than I did in D1.

joe_zazen

Damn, the Destiny 2 Beta thread might not reach 100 pages by end of it. Who would have thought that? A far cry from the original Destiny Alpha/Beta days of multiple 400 page threads. A bit of different circumstances considering the mega-hype for the first for sure but still a bit surprising.

d.

Google trends data For 2014 beta isn't too far ahead of this years. GAF hype might not be reflective.

E92 M3

PvP is amazing. If only we had dedicated servers this would be perfect (after a balance patch for some weapons).

Would have been perfect to have dedicated servers.

PVP feels like a compelling part of the game now instead of a one shot death fest.

I can see myself playing way more of it in D2 than I did in D1.

Yes, I had "one more game syndrome" with just one map on control lol.

Van Bur3n

Having playing more of the PVP myself, I must admit I am kind of enjoying it as well for the same reasons. It is reminiscent of Halo, especially in regards to the addition of power weapons rather than special/heavy. I was always mixed with how I felt about Destiny 1's special weapons in PVP.

From one point of view, it irked me for players to spawn with special weapons and some solely relying on using those throughout the game. From another point of view, I enjoyed those intense moments where you're in outnumbered, quickly whip out a shotty and wipe out half of the enemy team. But with this new power weapon system, I'm not having too many issues with it.

However, this change to the weapon slots does not translate well to PVE. Once again, the root of the problem lies with Bungie not balancing PVE and PVP separately.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future

For me there just wasn't enough included here as far as how the game actually works from the Director to the Social Space(s) to the PvE to PvP and most importantly player progression and exploration/new activities in a patrol space (of course, existing players are familiar with most of this already). The game simply wasn't shown in the best light.

Of course many of us already made the decision long ago in whether you were diving in head first to another time sink in Destiny 2 but for new players I don't know how this "Beta" could have done much to sway you into the "definitely getting it" crowd.

there's just not much to talk about this time around

MrBlonde

Total Destiny noob, barely played the first one but the couple things I noticed from my limited time with the Beta was grenades take way to long to recharge plus they feel weak, the specials take to long to charge and don't last long enough (I was using the Warlock). I don't like 4v4 should be 6v6.....

I only did Homecoming which was pretty fun and a few PvP matches which I did not love....On the fence right now.

Gudji

Total Destiny noob, barely played the first one but the couple things I noticed from my limited time with the Beta was grenades take way to long to recharge plus they feel weak, the specials take to long to charge and don't last long enough (I was using the Warlock). I don't like 4v4 should be 6v6.....

I only did Homecoming which was pretty fun and a few PvP matches which I did not love....On the fence right now.

I believe they already said the newer builds of the game have faster cooldowns for grenades and super.

On returning and playing the strike a couple more times I'm actually much warmer on the game now than I was originally. It's hard to adjust when you put 1000 hours into a game and the sequel feels so similar but also slightly different.

I'm coming back around on the dawnbreaker class now that I understand how the aerial glides work.

Top Bottom