• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 Beta |OT| Garry's Mod

What's the best class?

Results are only viewable after voting.
HarshAdvancedEgg.gif

You also have unlimited dodges while in super. I can't believe how salty people are over these changes.

Just played the story mission... slow charging aside, it felt like Destiny. The gunplay was satisfying as ever, the movement felt the same (maybe a bit slower), and the mission was definitely more interesting than the majority of pre-TTK missions.

I'm gonna play a bit of PVP and the strike later tonight, but so far I'm having fun. They've already addressed the majority of issues I had from my brief time with the beta.

jviggy43

ArcStrider has combo abilities that have range, but nothing to quickly shorten the distance to your target, other than in the air ground pound. Some of the combo endings have some rather good reach, but yea, feels like a massive nerf when you compare it to blade dancer.
Especially so since bladedancer also had ranged attacks depending on the perk you had on it.

Closing in on stationary targets isn't really a compelling example. If you tried doing that to someone at that range that wasn't attempting to cap the point, they'd back up and just shoot you.

D1 PvP could have been fixed in 4 VERY SIMPLE moves:

>AMMO ECONOMY: Less Heavy Ammo, Less Special Ammo Boxes, and spawn with fixed ammo after death/rounds
>ABILITIES: No OHK abilities on any class
>WEAPONS: Primaries have higher optimal TTK, but lower average TTK (less auto aim, more crit damage vs body damage)
>MOVEMENT: Faster strafe speed, less or no accuracy penalties while jumping or firing from the hip

Boom. Now you have a game based on movement and primary gunplay, but it's still fast and still allows you to make strong individual plays.

Instead, they slowed all the animations down, nerfed all of the weapons, took ammo away while barely touching Supers, and now with D2 they've double down and made a slower, clunkier, and duller game.

The worst part is there are people who didn't like the first PvP that prefer this one
, which means Bungie isn't going to change a damn thing. Welcome to another Bungie game that splinters its fanbase because they don't want to keep their target audience.

Thats totally me. I'm sorry. If it makes you'd feel better, I'd gladly them revert PvP back so long as PvE doesn't become affected.

D1 PVP was fine. Except for the lag and special ammo really.

>AMMO ECONOMY: Less Heavy Ammo, Less Special Ammo Boxes, and spawn with fixed ammo after death/rounds
>WEAPONS: Primaries have higher optimal TTK, but lower average TTK (less auto aim, more crit damage vs body damage)
>MOVEMENT: Faster strafe speed, less or no accuracy penalties while jumping or firing from the hip

Boom. Now you have a game based on movement and primary gunplay, but it's still fast and still allows you to make strong individual plays.

Instead, they slowed all the animations down, nerfed all of the weapons, took ammo away while barely touching Supers, and now with D2 they've double down and made a slower, clunkier, and duller game.

The worst part is there are people who didn't like the first PvP that prefer this one, which means Bungie isn't going to change a damn thing. Welcome to another Bungie game that splinters its fanbase because they don't want to keep their target audience.

ZeoVGM

Banned
I like Destiny 1's PvP and think it was improved here. Once they make a couple small issues to ability recharge and PvE ammo drops, all will be fine.

Destiny 2 is great. :)

UberLevi

Played the opening mission and a PvP match and this is Destiny tried and true. I love it. Weapons feel great to shoot, powers feel strong, and I can't wait to play it at 60fps on PC.

jviggy43

Also I can't help but laugh every time I pick up heavy ammo for my rocket launcher in PvP.

*Get heavy ammo

"Don't spend that all in one place guardian"

*looks at ammo count (1)

uhhhhhhh

Z3M0G

Also I can't help but laugh every time I pick up heavy ammo for my rocket launcher in PvP.

*Get heavy ammo

"Don't spend that all in one place guardian"

*looks at ammo count (1)

uhhhhhhh
Rocket Launchers and Shotguns sharing the same ammo type will never sit right with me...

Especially so since bladedancer also had ranged attacks depending on the perk you had on it.

Closing in on stationary targets isn't really a compelling example. If you tried doing that to someone at that range that wasn't attempting to cap the point, they'd back up and just shoot you.

Thats totally me. I'm sorry. If it makes you'd feel better, I'd gladly them revert PvP back so long as PvE doesn't become affected.

I'm not saying you are wrong to like it. You like what you like.

But when a game (or anything really) has a target audience and it changes its target audience after amassing a following, I consider that a bad thing. I liked Destiny 1 because it was the only shooter on the market where you could be a powerful individual player playing the way you wanted. The chaotic nature was part of the appeal, and there were many changes that could have been done to "make it more competitive" without changing its identity.

I like some of the changes to the game now, but the reason I played Destiny over every other shooter is basically gone. It wants to be a Halo spinoff right now, except Bungie has forgotten that Halo let you move and shoot, and didn't have flat ass 3 lane level design.

Rflagg

Would love to download and try the beta, but it errors right after I click the store link. :/

It might be because I don't have ps+ atm?

Edit: I am in fact an idiot as I didn't have space on the ps4 downloading now

Wow this multiplayer is rough. It feels about as unresponsive and spotty in control as call of duty. They must be using an extremely low tickrate again. Bungie never learns.

After seeing overwatch and battlefield run high tick games it's simply impossible to go back to this unresponsive, terrible hit detection nonsense. I'd have more fun at a slot machine.

jviggy43

Rocket Launchers and Shotguns sharing the same ammo type will never sit right with me...
Yep its a bad decision imo. I don't even think making ammo more prevalent will help because it will still feel weird having to choose between rockets or a shotgun/sniper.

But when a game (or anything really) has a target audience and it changes its target audience after amassing a following, I consider that a bad thing. I liked Destiny 1 because it was the only shooter on the market where you could be a powerful individual player playing the way you wanted. The chaotic nature was part of the appeal, and there were many changes that could have been done to "make it more competitive" without changing its identity.

I like some of the changes to the game now, but the reason I played Destiny over every other shooter is basically gone. It wants to be a Halo spinoff right now, except Bungie has forgotten that Halo let you move and shoot, and didn't have flat ass 3 lane level design.

Oh I know, my apology was more or less because I know you and other D1 vets are disappointed with it more than I feel like I'm to blame.

Theorry

Well thats also a stupid move. That was the case in Destiny 1 also. Going straight towards people is asking for problems. Also with the Sentinel. Atleast with the Strider you can easier dodge and make yourself harder to hit like Blade Dancer sideswipes and in the meantime close the gap.

gatti-man

This is spot on. They need to quicken the timers and movement badly imo. I mean will I still play it? Yes. Does it feel as good as Destiny 1? No. And this hurts pve not pvp. Destiny never hung its hat on pvp either, I just don't get fucking up pve in order to balance pvp.

SoulClap

The PVP gameplay felt so slow and dull that I haven't gone back to the beta since the first day. I actually played some D1 yesterday because a family member needed a raid completion. Moving around with a Titan in D1 is like night and day.

RSB

Banned

The worst part is there are people who didn't like the first PvP that prefer this one, which means Bungie isn't going to change a damn thing. Welcome to another Bungie game that splinters its fanbase because they don't want to keep their target audience.
Yep, Destiny would play so much better without those stupid accuracy penalties (by far my biggest problem with Destiny 1)

daedalius

This sounds great.

Currently I'm looking forward to having more free time to play other games since I doubt I'll be quite as obsessed with d2 as I was with d1

You should post this on Reddit, since they've admitted they basically don't look anywhere else.

I haven't played Destiny or Halo in over a year. Not sure what my skill level has to do with anything. Anyone can be successful if they take the time to learn how the game is playing out now.

I disagree about the "anyone"... Everyone can improve, sure, but a lot of people don't have the reaction time, situational awareness, or peripheral vision to be really good.

I've probably played 200 hours of PvP, trying to focus on map knowledge, placement, etc.... And I'm still shit.

IMHO skill level does impact on people's view of PvP. With Trials I was a bit worried when they took away some of the loot, as I knew scrubs like me would stop playing. That led to an ever decreasing pool of players where matches got sweatier and sweatier.

Also if you are very good at PvP then what feels like a small change to me, might feel massive to you.

Doesn't mean either of us is right or wrong, but it is worth considering what the changes will mean for different types of player and different skill levels.

IMHO the cool down on supers is the worst change for scrubs like me... I also miss my grenades... Used to get a lot of post mortems with those. :)

Ramirez

I disagree about the "anyone"... Everyone can improve, sure, but a lot of people don't have the reaction time, situational awareness, or peripheral vision to be really good.

I've probably played 200 hours of PvP, trying to focus on map knowledge, placement, etc.... And I'm still shit.

IMHO skill level does impact on people's view of PvP. With Trials I was a bit worried when they took away some of the loot, as I knew scrubs like me would stop playing. That led to an ever decreasing pool of players where matches got sweatier and sweatier.

Also if you are very good at PvP then what feels like a small change to me, might feel massive to you.

Doesn't mean either of us is right or wrong, but it is worth considering what the changes will mean for different types of player and different skill levels.

IMHO the cool down on supers is the worst change for scrubs like me... I also miss my grenades... Used to get a lot of post mortems with those. :)

But if the MM is working to place you against people just as bad as you say you are, it should balance out in the end. I don't believe skill matching is on for the beta, FWIW.

The grenade thing you described is one of the things I hated most about D1. Watching them curve around walls to stick to you, not a damn thing you could do about it, awful.

I think it's funny that people keep saying they're chasing an audience who didn't like their PVP. When I know there were countless people like me who sunk too many hours into D1 PVP, but wanted it to change so badly in a sequel. I always seen what it could be with some tweaks, and I feel they nailed it. I get that it's not for everyone, but I suffered through something I didn't love for years, so I'm going to enjoy this moment, lol. Trials is still some of the most fun I've ever had a game's MP, and now it's going to be even better. So yea, I'm stoked.

This sounds great.

Currently I'm looking forward to having more free time to play other games since I doubt I'll be quite as obsessed with d2 as I was with d1

You should post this on Reddit, since they've admitted they basically don't look anywhere else.

Reddit hasn't listened to anything I've posted since my K/D dropped below 3.0. I'd sooner fly over to Washington and have lunch with one of the designers than watch a sensible post get downvoted by hivemind communities.

SoulClap

But if the MM is working to place you against people just as bad as you say you are, it should balance out in the end. I don't believe skill matching is on for the beta, FWIW.

It's definitely there. The skill level of the people I was playing on Tuesday went up dramatically after an hour or so. Straight from the mouth of the Crucible design lead:

"Matchmaking places a greater emphasis on connection quality, but make no mistake: Skill is still a big component in finding worthy opponents for you to fight."

Ramirez

It's definitely there. The skill level of the people I was playing on Tuesday went up dramatically after an hour or so. Straight from the mouth of the Crucible design lead:

"Matchmaking places a greater emphasis on connection quality, but make no mistake: Skill is still a big component in finding worthy opponents for you to fight."

They can say it, doesn't mean I believe it for the beta. I matched Triplewreck on the opening day after like an hour of playing and not doing well at all really. We stomped obviously new players all night last night then matched with two streamers at the end. It's really been all over the place.

Alucrid

Banned
a few questions. do you slide way slower and way shorter after doing so from a sprint? dunno if maybe i'm remembering wrong because of the hunter perk but it seems borderline useless here. also do the supers and abilities recharge way, way, way slower? it seems like some of that takes forever.

Lasty95

Wait, what? Who exactly do you suppose were the target audience and who do you imagine they are now?

I've got 1k hours into D1. I'm top 0.4% k/d in the Crucible. I've played and loved (to some degree or another) everything Bungie have done since CE and I've gobbled up every Destiny DLC since launch. As far as I'm concerned, I am as good a representation of the "target audience" as you can be.

Now, I've put about 5 hours into D2's Crucible and I LOVE what they're doing. I love the duel Primaries, I love (and I mean really love) the 2 maps they've shown, the new call-outs, the 4v4... these are all the beginings of a good shake up of the Destiny formula.

Now I'm not saying it's perfect. I'd like grenades and power weapons to have slightly more oomph, and I'd like supers to pop a little more regularly - but overall, as a beta build of game still not out for a couple months, I think things are looking extremely positive.

All this negativity is as annoying as it is predictable.

Rflagg

As far as I know, PS+ is required for all betas.

It is letting me download, after I cleared some space 500 gigs goes fast. I shall see very soon if it lets me play or not.
I need to get ps plus again soon for everyone's golf anyways so even if I end up hating destiny 2 beta and not getting it, buying a sub would not be wasted so if needed I will get renew ps plus now.

It is letting me download, after I cleared some space 500 gigs goes fast. I shall see very soon if it lets me play or not.
I need to get ps plus again soon for everyone's golf anyways so even if I end up hating destiny 2 beta and not getting it, buying a sub would not be wasted so if needed I will get renew ps plus now.

it will let you play through the Story mission...but not the Strike or PVP stuff

Sounds like Halo Reach MP

The weapon class change is so mind bogglingly dumb. Now not only are 99% of your firefights going to be with mostly samey primary weapons, they actually thought putting shotguns, snipers and explosives in the same category was a good idea.

Smh

Ramirez

Wait, what? Who exactly do you suppose were the target audience and who do you imagine they are now?

I've got 1k hours into D1. I'm top 0.4% k/d in the Crucible. I've played and loved (to some degree or another) everything Bungie have done since CE and I've gobbled up every Destiny DLC since launch. As far as I'm concerned, I am as good a representation of the "target audience" as you can be.

This is exactly what I was getting at earlier, agree completely. Destiny, much like Halo is so many things to so many different people.

CLBridges

Can't wait for 9/6, after playing the beta now all I want is more Destiny. I'm hoping a few (well, more than a few) adjustments are made for full release, but I'm sold.

Weetrick

I played a little last night and didn't enjoy myself. I played Homecoming and The Inverted Spire.

I think my main problem was that I played with randoms. Also, I never played Destiny 1 so I was learning everything on the spot.

The Inverted Spire boss was a terrible experience. I never got the sense that any of my teammates were using their abilities properly - and to be honest, I wasn't sure how to use my class either.
We got the boss's health down to a sliver twice, but ended up dying. On the third try, I felt like quitting, but I didn't want to be a jerk and abandon my teammates. Well, they both ended up quitting themselves, haha.

I'll try again today and hopefully catch a friend online to play with. I still want to buy it since I dig the aesthetic, but it wasn't a great impression for me.

daedalius

I can't get over how bad the grenade launcher is in this beta. It genuinely may be the worst one I've seen in this genre.

The reach grenade launcher is amazing, they could have copied that over and I would have been happy with it. But currently it's garbage, but unfortunately I can't seem to get any other heavy drops so I'm stuck with it.

Rflagg

it will let you play through the Story mission...but not the Strike or PVP stuff

Awesome thanks, the missions are where I will spend most of my time in destiny 2 anyways, I am not interested in pvp and only plan to go on strikes once in awhile with dgaf if they will have a scrub like me.

dyergram

Now, I've put about 5 hours into D2's Crucible and I LOVE what they're doing. I love the duel Primaries, I love (and I mean really love) the 2 maps they've shown, the new call-outs, the 4v4... these are all the beginings of a good shake up of the Destiny formula.

Now I'm not saying it's perfect. I'd like grenades and power weapons to have slightly more oomph, and I'd like supers to pop a little more regularly - but overall, as a beta build of game still not out for a couple months, I think things are looking extremely positive.

I started reading this and thought how can somebody who like bungie games not like this then I read what you actually posted. Sad that this thread is full of people who aren't enjoying it but I couldn't agree more with you.

Afrocious

Wait, so who is Destiny's target audience? I thought I was in that group, but it seems being a dude who just wants to shoot things with friends and solve puzzles with them doesn't fit the bill.

j0hnnix

I agree with this. D2s pvp got me hooked, and got me to preorder, some minor things could be tweaked.

Just played the destiny 2 beta and thought i'd give my impressions like many other people have.
Was actually impressed with the story mission in this game. Consistently great moments and none of that sit in this one place while the ghost scans something crap. Although I am a little worried the mission shown is like the first mission in the taken king, i.e. way better than the rest of the story.
Strike was pretty meh, boss wasn't great and it felt a little too easy. Seeing the spinning blades was great but it turned out all I had to do was walk in basically a straight line, was expecting some platforming of puzzle nature to it.
Wont talk too much about the PVP as it wasn't fun in the first game, still isn't very fun.

Overall I did enjoy it, more than i thought i would, but in the end i didn't come out of the beta wanting more. Probably end up waiting for the final addition with all the DLC.

The grenade thing you described is one of the things I hated most about D1. Watching them curve around walls to stick to you, not a damn thing you could do about it, awful.

I think it's funny that people keep saying they're chasing an audience who didn't like their PVP. When I know there were countless people like me who sunk too many hours into D1 PVP, but wanted it to change so badly in a sequel. I always seen what it could be with some tweaks, and I feel they nailed it. I get that it's not for everyone, but I suffered through something I didn't love for years, so I'm going to enjoy this moment, lol. Trials is still some of the most fun I've ever had a game's MP, and now it's going to be even better. So yea, I'm stoked.

Hey, I'm glad you like it! For what it's worth I'm generally ambivalent about the changes, and if there was some loot on offer, and I had some mates to play with, then I'd play tons of games.

I was just disagreeing about everyone getting good. Enjoy the game and take pity on me if you see my GT :)

Top Bottom