• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 comes out on PC in 1 month from today, how many are still excited?

AcridMeat

Banned
to be fair the beta is a very small part of the game. you only have the first story mission (out of 16), pvp, and a strike (there are 6 in the game).

the story isn't anything mind blowing but compared to the first game it's a huge step forward. pvp is actually enjoyable now imo. strikes aren't as good as they used to be. what used to be "patrol" in D1 is now a much larger map with patrols, missions, adventures, lost sectors, public events. way more to do. then of course there are other things like nightfalls, trials, raid.

i'm not trying to convince you because it sounds like you've made your mind up but the beta probably done the game more harm than good. i feel it was aimed more at people who played D1 and not new players.
I tried the crucible as well and really disliked it. Didn't feel good to me at all.

My post certainly sounded like I'm basing everything on the beta, but after hearing impressions from others, as well as Beast/Bombcast, it doesn't sound like there's much that changes from what I experienced.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
no one more than you OP. this is a shitty practice, on top of finding out about micro-transactions. few reviewers have been critical. but even those who loved it keep saying the same thing about is. "its more destiny" and being forced to wait for "more destiny" after we didn't even get to play the first one, fucking sucks.

And before someones says it. i wouldn't mind if they were "polishing" the game, but if you really believe that, then i have a bridge to sell you.

ISee

I was, but somehow my excitement started to diminish over time. It was a bad decision to delay the game because I would have definitely bought it at the console release day. Mario and AC:eek:rigins releasing during the same window also doesn't help.

cripterion

Got the game preordered for a while now, not even excited to be honest. Don't even know if I'll get a months play on it, seems they didn't learn from the first one imo.

Will buy it but not really excited anymore. I enjoyed beta (pvp was much worse than D1) but Joes review kind of killed my hype.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i feel sorry for so many people who are missing out on games because someone's review lol. whatever happened to playing a game and seeing if you actually liked it instead of needing someone else to tell you whether or not to like it.

i feel sorry for so many people who are missing out on games because someone's review lol. whatever happened to playing a game and seeing if you actually liked it instead of needing someone else to tell you whether or not to like it.

Why do you think reviews and game critics exist? Don't worry, if you want that MMO addiction there's plenty of other MMOs out there, same with loot hunting.

Some of us did. It's still respectively the same Destiny. I'm still playing it for now. But the criticism's are very very valid. I think if you did not enjoy Destiny 1. Then you probably won't enjoy this either. It's still the same game at its core. Better in terms of QOL features, grinding has been improved. But in some important ways it's actually gotten worse than where we left off with Taken King or ROI.

Regardless of that fact, the game simply will not be as enjoyable two months after the content has been experienced by a large swath of the community. Nothing is a secret nowadays with data mining, however, there's still a communal experience that's there when people are experiencing everything for the first time. PC won't really get that.

KonradLaw

I expect Blizzard quality in terms of production, maintenance, and passion everytime I boot up that launcher as do many others. .
And you think you won't get this because? I mean, I would be surprised if Destiny2 wouldn't at the very least surpass Diablo3, Hearthstone and HoTS in those areas.

I mean, we are talking about the same Blizzard that's pretty much letting Diablo 3 rot and die right now, to the point where newcomer like Path of Exile is absolutely annihilating it in every way, despite being F2P title.

Ovek

7Member7
I was kinda hyped and preordered on Battle net and really liked the beta/demo on PC significantly more so than the PS4. I played the shit out of Destiny on the PS4 so the PC version seemed more “fresh” if you get my meaning. However the completely unnecessary time gap for the PC release has killed any hype I had for it. On the flip side if you could have transferred your characters between platforms I might have even double dipped on the PS4 version so the only looser here is Bungie and Activision for that stupid decision.

I’ll play it when it comes out but will I grind it and buy silver for the random chance to get a pointless exotic ship or sparrow? Well only time will tell, I kinda hope so, I loved Destiny even the Grimoire but if you asked me today the answer would be no.

Edit: I should add my hype deflation is nothing to do with a no mark YouTube reviewer.

Before launch I was considering it but after hearing what the game is like I'm not going to bother.

At a point you don't really need to play games to know if you'll enjoy them, especially not if it's a sequel to a game you've already played.

Won

Odd question. People value their time and money. People will try and judge it for themselves once Bungie gives them the opportunity to do so. Until then, reviews and impressions it is.

dengatron

Regardless of that fact, the game simply will not be as enjoyable two months after the content has been experienced by a large swath of the community. Nothing is a secret nowadays with data mining, however, there's still a communal experience that's there when people are experiencing everything for the first time. PC won't really get that.

disagree. a good portion of pc players are likely people that waited for pc, or are playing destiny for the first time with destiny 2. this will be a large group of players first exposure to destiny period, and all of that is still new to them. pc will also get the dlc experience at the same time as console. a 2 month wait for launch isn't nearly as bad as not having had destiny 1 for it's entire 3 years, as well. i think it won't be as enjoyable for people like you who would be double dippers, or for people that watched every second of every piece of available content on streams and youtube, but that was your choice, and not everyone made that choice.

Lucifon

I was excited but no longer. I've burnt myself out on the console version. After around 30-35 hours I've hit the content wall and don't really have interest in repeating it all. It was great fun whilst it lasted though.

I'm not, I speak for myself and my comfortable enjoyment of a community I've come to know and grow with for the majority of my life. Others in that very same community may disagree and I'd respect that. However I still fear that extreme of Battle.Net changing for the worse and can only hope I'm proven wrong.

Best get used to it. If Destiny's successful on Battle.net, I think you'll be seeing next year's CoD joining it.

And you think you won't get this because? I mean, I would be surprised if Destiny2 wouldn't at the very least surpass Diablo3, Hearthstone and HoTS in those areas.

I mean, we are talking about the same Blizzard that's pretty much letting Diablo 3 rot and die right now, to the point where newcomer like Path of Exile is absolutely annihilating it in every way, despite being F2P title.

I mean Blizzard has been hiring for work on a new Diablo installment for a while now. Yeah D3's life cycle is near it's end and currently in maintenance mode, but that doesn't mean Blizzard's ditching the franchise.

Best get used to it. If Destiny's successful on Battle.net, I think you'll be seeing next year's CoD joining it.

This is supposed to be a good thing? If it is I'm already an old man yelling at clouds and I'm only about to hit 24.

Cynn

Because its being integrated with the Battle.Net community and is inherently going to be put up against Blizzard titles. You open the Battle.Net client and you see WoW, SC2, D3, SC:R, Overwatch, etc., genre-defining titles with the gameplay and polish to back it up. Then you have the odd stepchild that is Destiny 2. There's prestige here and Bungie's title doesn't fit here.
Prestige? Jesus Christ dude. Time to apply for a PR position.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
giphy.gif

disagree. a good portion of pc players are likely people that waited for pc, or are playing destiny for the first time with destiny 2. this will be a large group of players first exposure to destiny period, and all of that is still new to them. pc will also get the dlc experience at the same time as console. a 2 month wait for launch isn't nearly as bad as not having had destiny 1 for it's entire 3 years, as well. i think it won't be as enjoyable for people like you who would be double dippers, or for people that watched every second of every piece of available content on streams and youtube, but that was your choice, and not everyone made that choice.
so what you expect everyone who was looking forward to this game to live pretty much under a rock. for the past week every piece of destiny info has been about nothing but the raid. "how to prepare for the raid", how to raise your light level for the raid", "watch me play the raid", "my feelings about the raid" and that was just the last WEEK. you're asking those of us who haven't been able to play destiny for 3 years to wait 2 more months but this time with our fingers in our ears and our eyes closed. Why? so we can finally E X P E R I E N C E destiny? FOH.

You may not think so, but it will be near impossible to avoid it leaching into every aspect of the PC release. Unless you isolate yourself with a group of friends through the whole experience. Things will get spoiled, and likely it will happen anyway (PC has in game chat remember, thank jeebus for that, managing a clan is a nightmare in its current state. It's not actually a clan, so much as a free loot alliance. Without an in game chat, getting groups together for things is just not manageable like it is on PC). It's why I decided not to wait. I was going to double dip originally. But the game is simply not in a place for me personally that I could recommend it considering other titles coming out soon. I'd recommend to them they wait until a few weeks before the first DLC release.

I hope its not super easy. Im excited I think.
Well... it's not hard on PS4. At least nothing outside the Prestige Nightfall, which I'd say, simply because of the current strike is more annoying than difficult. The difficulty also caps out pretty quick, not much to push yourself to aside from the raid (Which is only challenging because it's unforgiving to people who frequently make mistakes, if you have it down, the raid takes a little over and hour and isn't really difficult, in fact in terms of actual combat its probably the easiest raid of all.) Campaign is just above a "Please don't hurt me" difficulty, and you can't replay it at a higher difficulty.

Syf

Banned
but that doesn't mean Blizzard's ditching the franchise.
Yeah, this is the most bizarre thing I commonly see on GAF. So many people seem to think Blizzard is done with Diablo which is just lunacy. Yeah guys D3 had 30mil+ in sales looks like the IP is done. It is by far the biggest name in the genre and will be back in a big way.

Sailent

Banned
Not buying it. I don't want it even if it was gifted to me.

They did a really poor job with that beta if they were trying to hook people (or me) up.

Also, for what I'm seeing on consoles, many people are... "discontent with the content". Loot boxes, many stuff that where infinite before now is one time use, same enemies, 6 hour campaign...

So I'm waiting like I waited for Diablo 3, until the fix it up, add more content, and release a full improved version, I won't even contemplate buying it.

And Destiny seems to be the "top whatever-destiny-is". Seems to be a great fit.

Being an algamation of doing poor at what other games do better isn't something to be prided upon I think. If anything people should be working/discussing to fix that.

zonezeus

The game bored me shitless after less than 3 weeks on PS4, my hype for the PC version is about non-existant right now. The thought of replaying the same campaign, public events and milestones to get the same uninspired loot for the fourth time makes me shudder.

zoobzone

Just got spoiled by my friend that plays on PS4, also was told its literally Destiny 1.5 or a better version of The Taken King expansion.

Decided I'm not going to get it, since there are more interesting games to play at the end of October.

dengatron

so what you expect everyone who was looking forward to this game to live pretty much under a rock. for the past week every piece of destiny info has been about nothing but the raid. "how to prepare for the raid", how to raise your light level for the raid", "watch me play the raid", "my feelings about the raid" and that was just the last WEEK. you're asking those of us who haven't been able to play destiny for 3 years to wait 2 more months but this time with our fingers in our ears and our eyes closed. Why? so we can finally E X P E R I E N C E destiny? FOH.
did you read what i wrote literally at all? i'm not ASKING you do a god damn thing, so i don't get why you're so combative. i'm saying that a good portion of the people interested in destiny 2 on pc are likely players completely new to the franchise that aren't looking shit up in the first place. the majority of my wow guild will be playing destiny 2 at launch and maybe 1/5th of them have watched a single video on it at all. slow yourself, champ.
You may not think so, but it will be near impossible to avoid it leaching into every aspect of the PC release. Unless you isolate yourself with a group of friends through the whole experience. Things will get spoiled, and likely it will happen anyway (PC has in game chat remember, thank jeebus for that, managing a clan is a nightmare in its current state. It's not actually a clan, so much as a free loot alliance. Without an in game chat, getting groups together for things is just not manageable like it is on PC).
like i said, i disagree. i think you'd be surprised about how many people will be going into the game blind on pc, and obviously this is opinion vs opinion but that's all we've got to go on by now. in game chat doesn't have any avenue to spoil things for you unless you're in a cross platform clan, btw. there's no general, or zone, or all chat. clan/party and whispers, that's it. again, i think people like us that have either played or consumed the majority of d2 content at console launch are the MASSIVE minority in regards to the overall playerbase. i mean it's the start of week 4 in a few days and there's likely a good portion of people that haven't even completed the campaign yet. think bigger picture.

hemo memo

Gold Member
I'm not really sure. People keep saying that this is 'a game with you friends' through and through, and I don't have friends who'll be playing the game.

My friends just bought it now. I played the game from the beginning solo and enjoyed it greatly. Also the GAF OT is very active if you want help with a difficult section.

Scarecrow

I was thinking about it, but I'm betting that Overwatch is going to have another Halloween event at around that time. Seems weird that they'd release the PC version that late into October and compete with another Blizzard property.

Nokterian

Why should i miss it? I played the first destiny and to be honest i find it one of the most boring game i ever played. Also i vote with my wallet these days, i play games as it pleases me and i throughout enjoy, the review what angry joe did justified on how i feel about destiny, to me some improvements but overal no new innovations abroad.

We had a thing called demo's years ago, that faded away passed time on PC, we see a sort of comeback from it with beta's and alpha's even early access.

I've been playing other games that enjoy me more that destiny will never give.

so you are gonna get a refund based on what other people think of the game? to be honest with Destiny you're always gonna get people shitting on it. I don't know...i just play games and if i enjoy them then i play them. Don't need other people telling me what to think or do.

They will be the best kinds of reviews, to be frank. People who actually own the game that have been playing it for a month. I will consider those opinions like I consider professional reviews, but with even more weight because they will represent opinions AFTER the "new shine" has worn off. If it's still great in the general opinion of GAFers 50+ hours in, it's good enough for me. If large cross-sections of people are like, "meh" as I've seen some suggest at Streamerhouse (the Twitch channel), maybe it's still a buy, but maybe isn't a launch day, full priced purchase for me. Like many others, I have 200+ games in my Steam library plus a few on Battle.net that I haven't finished (or even played in many cases). By the time I do, I could probably find the game on discount. Not like I'm seeing anyone use the pre-order cold gun in PvP anyway, so it's clearly not worth much. That was one of the only reasons I pre-ordered anyway.

So yea, we'll see. And yes, I will be taking opinions and reading the OT on like the 20th or so to help me make an educated decision. This is the benefit we PC gamers have in this situation: we get to make the most informed decision possible with a maximum amount of information and feedback available.

I was thinking about it, but I'm betting that Overwatch is going to have another Halloween event at around that time. Seems weird that they'd release the PC version that late into October and compete with another Blizzard property.

?

Overwatch is damn near 2 years old. Launching a game around the time of an Overwatch Halloween event does not constitute "competing with another Blizzard property". lol

did you read what i wrote literally at all? i'm not ASKING you do a god damn thing, so i don't get why you're so combative. i'm saying that a good portion of the people interested in destiny 2 on pc are likely players completely new to the franchise that aren't looking shit up in the first place. the majority of my wow guild will be playing destiny 2 at launch and maybe 1/5th of them have watched a single video on it at all. slow yourself, champ.

like i said, i disagree. i think you'd be surprised about how many people will be going into the game blind on pc, and obviously this is opinion vs opinion but that's all we've got to go on by now. in game chat doesn't have any avenue to spoil things for you unless you're in a cross platform clan, btw. there's no general, or zone, or all chat. clan/party and whispers, that's it. again, i think people like us that have either played or consumed the majority of d2 content at console launch are the MASSIVE minority in regards to the overall playerbase. i mean it's the start of week 4 in a few days and there's likely a good portion of people that haven't even completed the campaign yet. think bigger picture.

I have quite a few friends with sub 40 hours in destiny who have done at least all the content a few times. One buddy has completed the raid twice, done all strikes, all nightfalls and prestige nightfalls with me. Sub 40 hours. Yea, they're more skilled players so they progress quicker, but that's more typical on PC too. I don't know, I think it's just been near impossible to stay on blackout for this game, so chances are quite a few things have been spoiled for people, especially if they were already interested in Destiny. I'd say 90%+ of all PS4 players didn't go into the raid blind as it were.

ookami

Well... I'm far less excited now. Saw some very good reviews with constructive criticism from people really crazy about the game. We do really get the minimum... We even should have gotten that with D1 post expansion.

I know at least one thing. It will be fun, great to play with friends, I'll farm the hell out of it... I just really hope that they're willing to hear their community and make the game evolve far more than what it is now. Or at least as much as Destiny evolved in its final form.

I’ll be getting it on PC to play with a friend but the delay really stings.

Bought 2 more PS4 copies to try and convince my friends to play with me in the meantime. 🤡

dengatron

I have quite a few friends with sub 40 hours in destiny who have done at least all the content a few times. One buddy has completed the raid twice, done all strikes, all nightfalls and prestige nightfalls with me. Sub 40 hours. Yea, they're more skilled players so they progress quicker, but that's more typical on PC too. I don't know, I think it's just been near impossible to stay on blackout for this game, so chances are quite a few things have been spoiled for people, especially if they were already interested in Destiny. I'd say 90%+ of all PS4 players didn't go into the raid blind as it were.

i think we're both right in different ways. there's the casual segment of people out there who's complete exposure to destiny 2 might be the giant bomb quicklook, or having caught it on liriks stream during pc beta. that's the type of person i think is going into destiny blind.

i definitely agree that the majority of players that have tried the raid didn't go in blind, but i think that's got a lot to do with it being released mid day, mid week, and the people that care enough to raid are also people that would want to know tactics for the highest possible chance to succeed. that's something that is hard to combat, though. it's definitely harder to find a blind raid team by the time it lauches on pc, for sure, but as weeks pass its increasingly harder to find a blind raid team on console too so i don't know how you stop that.

JCH!

I never played Destiny 1 so I was pretty hyped a couple of months ago, unfortunately, hype is dwindling rapidly. A mixture of the reviews and me not finding the 'gunplay' in the beta nowhere close as 'amazing' (the best ever!) as some people claim it to be.

Seriously considering shifting Destiny 2's $60 to Wolfenstein II.

Paragon

It doesn’t really look like the sort of game I would be interested in, but I might have picked it up if there was cross-platform co-op and it launched at the same time as the other platforms, as I do have a couple of friends playing it on PS4.
Most of the friends that played the original game seem to be passing on this one though, so it’s probably a good thing that it doesn’t.

whatever happened to playing a game and seeing if you actually liked it instead of needing someone else to tell you whether or not to like it.
Companies stopped releasing free demos.

Zemm

Word of mouth and impressions from people I trust aren't good so this is a skip, played the first one and thought it was only decent so didn't care too much in the first place.

I'm glad it got delayed because I probably would have picked it up on day 1 if it was released with the console versions.

Qassim

I played about an hour of the PS4 beta of Destiny 1, so any criticisms about Destiny 2 in relation to Destiny 1 don't really apply for me. So yeah, I'm still quite excited for it - haven't paid attention to the reviews, I played the PC beta and liked what I played.

As for spoilers and stuff, I haven't seen *any* and I've made no effort to avoid them either, so that aspect doesn't apply either.

SMOK3Y

Generous Member
Because its being integrated with the Battle.Net community and is inherently going to be put up against Blizzard titles. You open the Battle.Net client and you see WoW, SC2, D3, SC:R, Overwatch, etc., genre-defining titles with the gameplay and polish to back it up. Then you have the odd stepchild that is Destiny 2. There's prestige here and Bungie's title doesn't fit here.
Joke post?..

Well, I will play because it was included with my gpu. I enjoyed the gunplay in the beta, and the graphics/music were good, but... I'm not a loot grind player. So I will play it for a pair of weeks, maybe three or four if I connect with the pvp, and that's it.

As someone that has played Blizzard games for most his life on and off.... yeah no.

Nabbis

Nah, too much of a rehash. Though plenty of games just add more "generic" content once the core loop is good enough, i don't think Destiny is anywhere near that.

Tarnpanzer

Can´t wait for it. Getting a GTX 1060 and extra RAM for it too.

Really *isses me off, that half of my friends list on PS4 is already playing it. Would have preferred the PS4-version but 30fps is a no-go.

Top Bottom